Models as Comic Characters

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its so often that whenever I get into a discussion about who should play whatever character, I get people telling me, "Megan Fox should play Huntress, she's hot!" or "Caite Upton should play Supergirl!" Things like that. Usually it all boils down to models should play fomic characters because they're good looking.

How do you feel about this way of thinking?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Im surprised someone said Megan Fox should play Huntress. I didnt think anyone wanted Huntress in a movie lol.

Anyway they should get actors and actresses not Kate Upton even if she has the chest of power girl.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Casting a character solely on looks seems like a mistake. They should be able to act like the character too.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I don't like it. It should be a combination of the two, but if that's not possible i put more value in the acting. For example: Heimdall in the Thor movie. May not be a match lookwise but he did an amazing job :)

Another example: Emma Frost in X-Men first class, may look the part but her acting was terrible.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Kairan1979

I don't like it. Staying in character is more important.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Casting a character solely on looks seems like a mistake. They should be able to act like the character too.

This.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By roboadmiral

If Marvel's recent efforts and the Nolan Batman movies have proven anything its that a meticulously cast movie with quality actors can make all the difference. The first rule should always be to make a good movie that would still be good even if you ditched the superhero costumes. Get good actors playing well written characters. There's a reason models are models and not actresses.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely agree that acting ability should be the first priority when it comes to casting. With that being said, I think that we (the audience) shouldn't judge too harshly. Sure, actors/actresses like the aforementioned Megan Fox has been known to be typecast as a sex symbol without any award-worthy performance. You know who else was considered to be a sucky actor? Chris Evans, and he shocked me when I watched Captain America the first time. If someone like Evans can pull off Captain America, then maybe we shouldn't be so critical when reading the news or speculating roles.

That's just my opinion anyhow. I know people who still hated Evans as Cap, or thought that he was a good actor to begin with. Feel free to disagree with me.