Michael B Jordan speaks about Fantastic Four Controvsery

• 187 results
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Did Josh Trank also get him that soapbox he's standing on?

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@awesam said:

@heatblaze123: They're not "necessarily changing" anything. They cast a black actor, so they fit the story around it. If they made him an alien, then they're unnecessarily changing the character. Casting a black actor means nothing. You're literally pissed off because he's black. It is racism whether you want to admit it or not. Maybe you should stop judging him by the color of his skin, and instead judge him as an actor. The original Human Torch also happened to be a drawing. I bet you weren't super mad when they cast a real person for the role the first time.

@noone301994 said:

@heatblaze123: Couldn't have said it better myself.

@awesam said:

@noone301994: So, you're saying no black man should ever be allowed to play the Human Torch because he's black? Sounds racist to me. They're not "unnecessarily" changing a character. He's still the Human Torch. Nothing about his personality or power-set are being altered. They just figured that he's perfect for the role, so let's look passed the color of his skin and give him a chance. Clearly something you can't do...

Again, let's make the Hulk pink. Am I racist for being against that? Or homophobic? Stop trying to make this about race and social inequality BS. I don't care about any of it. Bottom line, it's a completely unnecessary change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No, but you're homophobic for associating a pink Hulk with homosexuals. It is about race. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What does that even mean? It's not like they're just decided to make the Human Torch black for the hell of it, they happened to have found the right actor for the role who happens to be black. I support it 100%. Anyone should be given the opportunity to play the role.

So much win.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#103  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@wrglfan2814: that's true. Definitely not at the same level.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

People are still riled up by this?

...Why?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@noone301994: So, you're saying no black man should ever be allowed to play the Human Torch because he's black? Sounds racist to me. They're not "unnecessarily" changing a character. He's still the Human Torch. Nothing about his personality or power-set are being altered. They just figured that he's perfect for the role, so let's look passed the color of his skin and give him a chance. Clearly something you can't do...

You do realize that the F4 are also called the 'First Family of Marvel'? Sue Storm and Johnny Storm don't have coincidental last names. They are brother and sister. Can this work? Yes. If the director can handle the adoption well. Do I have high hopes for it? Not with Fox's track record...

I wasn't really watching any comic based message boards when DD came out. How well was MCD received as Kingpin then?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just shows how stupid reactions are to character changes..

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

skin color is irrelevant when it comes to being or not being a family

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny Storm isn't black. So why make him black?

God forbid you change a Black character white.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: To be fair, there are MUCH less minority superheroes.

Beata

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By legacy6364
Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

No, but you're homophobic for associating a pink Hulk with homosexuals.

Give me a break. I never associated the color with homosexuals. I was saying that you probably would accuse me of doing so (and I was right). "oh em gee u dont like the idea of a pink hulk ur lyk so homophobic." Should I change the hypothetical color for the sake of the argument? Take it easy.

It is about race. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What does that even mean?

What does it even mean? You've really never heard of that saying? It's something that you say which means if a system or method works well there is no reason to change it.

It's not like they're just decided to make the Human Torch black for the hell of it, they happened to have found the right actor for the role who happens to be black. I support it 100%. Anyone should be given the opportunity to play the role.

Alright, that's your opinion. The point is that my opinion isn't derived from racism. You can disagree with it if you want, but it's not about social injustice. It's about keeping characters the same.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By mickey-mouse
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mickey-mouse

@jaken7 said:

Did Josh Trank also get him that soapbox he's standing on?

Maybe. He really needs to STFU and just be the best actor he can be.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: He's too busy shouldering the collected weight of everyone's discrimination for generations to come or whatever.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Childish complaining over something so irrelevant.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

One of these days I'll get an actual Fantastic Four movie I can admit to enjoying

But not this one

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be funny if he was the first one to die in this movie.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oops.

Looks like he made the nerds and the trolls mad.

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: No. I was pointing out why your statement isn't a double standard.

There a very few minority superheroes, so whitewashing any of them(And it does happen, but no one seems care) would just make it worse.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of white superheroes however. And if one of them gets a race change that doesn't change the character in other aspects, who cares?

Beata

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

No, but you're homophobic for associating a pink Hulk with homosexuals.

Give me a break. I never associated the color with homosexuals. I was saying that you probably would accuse me of doing so (and I was right). "oh em gee u dont like the idea of a pink hulk ur lyk so homophobic." Should I change the hypothetical color for the sake of the argument? Take it easy.

It is about race. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? What does that even mean?

What does it even mean? You've really never heard of that saying? It's something that you say which means if a system or method works well there is no reason to change it.

It's not like they're just decided to make the Human Torch black for the hell of it, they happened to have found the right actor for the role who happens to be black. I support it 100%. Anyone should be given the opportunity to play the role.

Alright, that's your opinion. The point is that my opinion isn't derived from racism. You can disagree with it if you want, but it's not about social injustice. It's about keeping characters the same.

Except you did associate pink Hulk with homosexuals, otherwise there would be no reason to bring up homophobia.

I know what it means, I meant relatively. Pretty much what you're saying is that since the Human Torch has always been white, then why change it? Gee, that's a modern way of looking at things. (Sarcasm intended)

He's the same in every way. Your only problem is he's black. Bet you didn't get pissed off when you found out The Thing was going to be a different shade of brown. Or that he looks nothing like he does in the comics. Nah, we're just mad that they cast a black guy.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

Except you did associate pink Hulk with homosexuals, otherwise there would be no reason to bring up homophobia.

I know what it means, I meant relatively. Pretty much what you're saying is that since the Human Torch has always been white, then why change it? Gee, that's a modern way of looking at things. (Sarcasm intended)

He's the same in every way. Your only problem is he's black. Bet you didn't get pissed off when you found out The Thing was going to be a different shade of brown. Or that he looks nothing like he does in the comics. Nah, we're just mad that they cast a black guy.

You were the one that associated my not liking Michael B. Jordan being cast as the Human Torch as racism. I was simply stating that since you made this assumption you would also make the same bigoted association against me with the pink Hulk. Again, I don't care about any of that social injustice crap. I would be against turning the Hulk pink, purple, or turquoise or any color other than the classic green. It has nothing to do with anything you're trying to say. I would be against turning Luke Cage or Black Panther's race too. Or their powers, personality, etc. IT'S THE UNNECESSARY CHANGE THAT BOTHERS ME.

You are focusing way too much about the race aspect of it... I would be against ANY big change to the character. Especially when it's unnecessary. It has even been admitted that the only reason he was cast was for controversy. That is just stupid.

Again, it's more the idea of change of the character that bothers me. It's not the race aspect specifically that bothers me. Yes, I was mad that Thing looks the way that he looks. Yes, I was mad that Doom was an internet hacker. I also didn't like the cast for the rest of the FF because they are too young looking. The list goes on and on. I've been saying this the entire time, but you just want to ignore that so you can point your finger and scream "racist!" and act like an internet social injustice hero. I was upset that Johnny Storm would be cast by a black man, but that didn't turn me off to the film at all. When I heard the news about Doom, it was that moment that I started to lose hope and didn't want to see the film anymore.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

You were the one that associated my not liking Michael B. Jordan being cast as the Human Torch as racism. I was simply stating that since you made this assumption you would also make the same bigoted association against me with the pink Hulk. Again, I don't care about any of that social injustice crap. I would be against turning the Hulk pink, purple, or turquoise or any color other than the classic green. It has nothing to do with anything you're trying to say. I would be against turning Luke Cage or Black Panther's race too. Or their powers, personality, etc. IT'S THE UNNECESSARY CHANGE THAT BOTHERS ME.

You are focusing way too much about the race aspect of it... I would be against ANY big change to the character. Especially when it's unnecessary. It has even been admitted that the only reason he was cast was for controversy. That is just stupid.

Again, it's more the idea of change of the character that bothers me. It's not the race aspect specifically that bothers me. Yes, I was mad that Thing looks the way that he looks. Yes, I was mad that Doom was an internet hacker. I also didn't like the cast for the rest of the FF because they are too young looking. The list goes on and on. I've been saying this the entire time, but you just want to ignore that so you can point your finger and scream "racist!" and act like an internet social injustice hero. I was upset that Johnny Storm would be cast by a black man, but that didn't turn me off to the film at all. When I heard the news about Doom, it was that moment that I started to lose hope and didn't want to see the film anymore.

This!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

If we're being honest we could at least admit that Johnny's race doesn't matter at all.

It's not a defining trait at all, he could be a oriental eight foot giant and it still wouldn't matter as long as he's a flamboyant jerk.

It's not complicated folks.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're being honest we could at least admit that Johnny's race doesn't matter at all.

It's not a defining trait at all, he could be a oriental eight foot giant and it still wouldn't matter as long as he's a flamboyant jerk.

It's not complicated folks.

You really think so?

@awesam said:

Yep

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: But, it sorta is. It's a defining trait of the character itself.

When you think about Peter Parker what do you think? A guy with Long black hair with freckles? No. You think more than just his personality, you think about his appearance as well.

Through every single possible media he is in, Peter Parker is shown to be a white male teen with short brown hair as well as his intelligent, nerdy personality. When we think of Luke Cage, we think of a large built black male as well as his rough and caring attitude. People like the original portrayal that has been for years now.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just be real, ya'll racists.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@saren said:

One of these days I'll get an actual Fantastic Four movie I can admit to enjoying

But not this one

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@dimitridkatsis: I'm really exaggerating for the most part but I stand behind the idea of my post.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Mutant God

I wouldn't care if they made Human Torch black in an alternate comic universe but they are adapting the Ultimate Universe which I think they should cast someone who looks the comic character. But if were going to cast people who don't look their characters why not cast Jack Black as Reed Richards, Zac Efron as Ben Grimm, Melissa McCarthy as Susan Storm and Jane Lynch as Dr. Doom

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By DBVSE7

@heatblaze123: Please tell me the significance of a fictional characters skin?

Please tell me how his skin determines his struggles and triumphs as a character?

Please tell how his skin makes him spider-man or prevents Peter from being spider-man that has NOTHING to do with peters origin?

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

@heatblaze123: Please tell me the significance of a fictional characters skin?

Please tell me how his skin determines his struggles and triumphs as a character?

Please tell how his skin makes him spider-man or prevents Peter from being spider-man that has NOTHING to do with peters origin?

What's your point? We can easily say that for anything.

Please tell me the significance of a fictional character's hair?

Please tell me how his hair determines his struggles and triumphs as a character?

Please tell how his hair makes him spider-man or prevents Peter from being spider-man that has NOTHING to do with peters origin?

We should make Peter Parker bald, "because hair doesn't matter". lol

Peter Parker was born a white male, there, here's a quarter of the origin story.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By DBVSE7

@heatblaze123: Its not important.. and you just proved that because you failed to answer my question.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: It's important to the character itself. And yes, I did.

"Peter Parker was born a white male, there, here's a quarter of the origin story."

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Kramotz

What a dolt. Does this goofball really think that the core problem here is him being black? No, princess, this isn't about you. It's about drastic, terribly-executed,arbitrary character changes in general, which usually involves a character's ethnicity, but isn't at all limited to ethnicity alone; not about you being black primarily. "I’ll be the one to shoulder all this hate. I’ll take the brunt for the next couple of generations." Get over yourself, kid. This isn't some burden you're nobly shouldering; it's a ridiculous trend that you were dumb enough to uphold.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@heatblaze123:

"It's important to the character itself."

In Spiderman's case, it really isn't. Peter's stories, his origin, it would all play out the same way if he was black. Are you really implying that a 'quarter' of his origin is that he's Caucasian? pfft

These movies are just adaptations, alternate versions, in a completely different medium, and made for a vast and largely diverse audience. Sometimes creators need to strip, alter, and twist aspects of a property to make it work for their respective medium. I'm sorry if you can't wrap your head around that, but that's how it is.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

@heatblaze123:

"It's important to the character itself."

In Spiderman's case, it really isn't. Peter's stories, his origin, it would all play out the same way if he was black. Are you really implying that a 'quarter' of his origin is that he's Caucasian? pfft

These movies are just adaptations, alternate versions, in a completely different medium, and made for a vast and largely diverse audience. Sometimes creators need to strip, alter, and twist aspects of a property to make it work for their respective medium. I'm sorry if you can't wrap your head around that, but that's how it is.

Sure everything can still be the same way if he was bald, that doesn't mean it should be changed, he was written as a caucasian for over 50 years, we should leave it as he is, like Luke or Spawn as black. We can also turn Luke Cage Asian and still play it out how it is in the story. Or Make Spawn latino and still plays along, these are established characters that people know and love for years. Do you think they will go as far as to alter the race of a long established highly known character? LOL. No Pfft.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Tyger

As long as there are no nipples on the costumes, I'll give it a shot. Just like I did the other two FF movies (that Fox didn't recall for complete crappyness.)

He could be as crappy as Mandarin (or the other 'whitewashed' characters named above). He could just be the token black guy shoehorned in. He could be a 'bat nipples' change. He could be as great as Red from Shawshank Redemption... and it might make no difference as Doom or Sue or any of the others completely tank the movie.

We won't really know until August.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 rogueshadow  Moderator

He sounds very self righteous througout to be honest.

@lukehero said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

That last comment makes him sound like an a**hole

+ this.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing wrong with keeping characters true to the comics. . . . . .

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123: No cause if you read what I said.. I said "that has NOTHING.. I repeat NOTHING to do with the origin" you did the exact opposite.

YOU make it important (for some odd reason) when it really is not.. as you clearly pointed out because you said you could do it with anything that has to do with his appearance.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: It was kinda a bad joke on the origin one, but whatever...stop doing change for the sake of change, leave Major characters how they are in the comics. End of story.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: "Like my movie or you are racist, you loser nerds." Whatever he was trying to say got lost for me and that's what I got out of it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 rogueshadow  Moderator

@lukehero said:

@rogueshadow: "Like my movie or you are racist, you loser nerds." Whatever he was trying to say got lost for me and that's what I got out of it.

Lol! Basically.