Michael B Jordan Reportedly cast as The Human Torch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By 14NC3

What are your opinions on this? Do you think he's a good fit for the human torch? What are your opinions on Johnny being an African American?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I don't

Like it. Don't change a characters ethnicity just for the hell of it. I'm

Not offended but I don't like it either. It's pointless and they could have easily found a no name up an comer to play the role

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sweet! He has the charisma and swagger to be a great Human Torch! As long as he acts well and immerses himself in the role, he could be blue for all I care.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 14NC3

I hate this decision. I get that CBM's need greater racial diversity but this is NOT the way to go. They are sh!@&ing on the source material by making johnny and sue not related (sue's going to be white). They may as well should have made mr. fantastic asian. Why didn't they make the thing black (not his rocky form)? that would have made more sense since he's not related to anyone here and it's not shown as much in the source material. If they want more black people to star in CBM's why don't they make a friggin black panther or heroes for hire movie???

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

So will they all be black then? Well except for the Thing, he NEEDS to be orange.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

I hate this decision. I get that CBM's need greater racial diversity but this is NOT the way to go. They are sh!@&ing on the source material by making johnny and sue not related. They may as well should have made mr. fantastic asian. Why didn't they make the thing black (not his rocky form)? that would have made more sense since he's not related to anyone here. If they want more black people to star in CBM's why don't they make a friggin black panther or heroes for hire movie???

That's Marvel Studios job. Not Fox's.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

I hate this decision. I get that CBM's need greater racial diversity but this is NOT the way to go. They are sh!@&ing on the source material by making johnny and sue not related. They may as well should have made mr. fantastic asian. Why didn't they make the thing black (not his rocky form)? that would have made more sense since he's not related to anyone here. If they want more black people to star in CBM's why don't they make a friggin black panther or heroes for hire movie???

bp and heroes for hire are owned by marvel?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@14nc3 said:

bp and heroes for hire are owned by marvel?

They got the rights to Black Panther in 2005. I need to go double check if they got the rights to heroes for hire.

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TerryBogard2014

Don't like it.Feels like a cop out.its supposed to be F4, not chronicles 2,

@14nc3 said:

Fox doesn't own the rights the anything outside of f4/x-men property,

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

Then they could add on more black x-men members if ethnicity means so much to them. They already have storm (an iconic black superhero) and bishop...what was the point in making human torch black??

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm okay with Susan and Johnny Storm being black, it's not a big deal for me. It would be pretty interesting if they do, MBJ would make a good Human Torch.

Sweet! He has the charisma and swagger to be a great Human Torch! As long as he acts well and immerses himself in the role, he could be blue for all I care.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ooh look at Fox they're so unique now...

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Veshark

Still. A. Rumor.

TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TerryBogard2014

@14nc3 said:

@terrybogard2014 said:

@14nc3 said:

Then they could add on more black x-men members if ethnicity means so much to them. They already have storm (an iconic black superhero) and bishop...what was the point in making human torch black??

This isn't an X-men movie.its a Fantastic 4 movie,And they're most likely making the human torch black because Josh Trank apparently loves him some Micheal B.Jordan

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ccraft

@tyrus said:

Ooh look at Fox they're so unique now...

ooh look comic fans love change, not! It's just a movie...

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

@terrybogard2014 said:

@14nc3 said:

This isn't an X-men movie.its a Fantastic 4 movie,And they're most likely making the human torch black because Josh Trank apparently loves him some Micheal B.Jordan

I know I was talking about the studio. If they cared about ethnicity in their CBM's so much why didn't they just add more black mutants to the X-men movies. was what I was asking

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love how generic the criticisms of changing a character's race are.

TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

@terrybogard2014 said:

@14nc3 said:

@terrybogard2014 said:

@14nc3 said:

I know I was talking about the studio. If they cared about ethnicity in their CBM's so much why didn't they just add more black mutants to the X-men movies. was what I was asking

Darwin was in first class,storm is returning for dofp and bishop is gonna be in DOFP i don't get what mbj being the human torch has to do with fox turning x-men into madea's family reunion.If you Want Johnny storm to look physically similar to his comic book counter part you could just say that.Don't know what focusing all race into x-men has to do with f4 outside some weird idea that they have an ethnicity kick and that if they got that all out of their systems with x-men,johnny would be left alone.when the fact of the matter is MBJ's relationship with trank was a factor in him getting the role.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@14nc3 said:

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By snarkybits

Thing as a black guy is okay, because he's not related to the others?

Or because he's the guy that is transformed into the rock monster, so you wouldn't have to notice?

Also, how do you guys figure that if Johnny were black, that he and Sue wouldn't be related?

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 14NC3

@snarkybits said:

Thing as a black guy is okay, because he's not related to the others?

Or because he's the guy that is transformed into the rock monster, so you wouldn't have to notice?

Also, how do you guys figure that if Johnny were black, that he and Sue wouldn't be related?

Both. I just didn't want to sound racist: I would have said "they are throwing away the source material just because he's black" which sounds really wrong (to me anyway). The thing being white wouldn't matter much to his character since he's he's not related to anyone and the source material doesn't show him in his human form much. For me it matters for johnny just cause he's meant to be and it screws up his relationship with susan. Making johnny be adopted by susans parents (if that's what you're trying to say) would just complicate things when they could just keep it simple. Long story short I want them to keep to the source material.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PeppeyHare

I could care less because I have zero hope for this movie

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Like it. Really do. I don't care if they change the characters race. Comics are comics, and movies are movies. My only problem is if they cast him, I would want Sue to be cast as a black actress.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make Johnny Storm black, I really hope they make Susan black too. The adoption thing does sound a bit pointless, but nonetheless I think MBJ will be a better Johnny than Chris Evans was.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sue and Johnny could still be related if he were black and she were white.

It's called half-siblings.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 14NC3

@snarkybits said:

Sue and Johnny could still be related if he were black and she were white.

It's called half-siblings.

That still complicates things. And it sounds pretty stupid. I'd want susan to be black too if johnny is but if you watch the video it looks like she's going to be white.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does that complicate things, though?

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does that complicate things, though?

Because it's more complicated then just having them as a normal brother and sister. Why not just keep it to the source material? And to make it easier you might want to hover over a comment then click either the quote or reply button on the top right corner of the message.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By snarkybits

@14nc3

But HOW is that complicated?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a push to just get black people to go see the movie.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 14NC3

@snarkybits said:

What i'm trying to say is that it's simpler just having them as a normal bro and sis. If you ask most people if they'd have the storm's as siblings from the same ethnicity or as half siblings I guarantee you most would choose the first option.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

The same people complaining about Johnny Storm are probably the same people who complained about Ant-Man and Mandarin.

No one cared about these characters, and their forums are all but inactive, but all of a sudden there's all these people who "care" when they make changes to minor characters.

Get over it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's well past time someone got stupid and called/implied someone was racist for not being for this.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as Sue and him are the same race lol I dont mind.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

The same people complaining about Johnny Storm are probably the same people who complained about Ant-Man and Mandarin.

No one cared about these characters, and their forums are all but inactive, but all of a sudden there's all these people who "care" when they make changes to minor characters.

Get over it.

Many people cared about those characters. Just because they're not pushing Batman numbers in both amount of people or maybe top of their list doesn't mean they don't care.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as Sue and him are the same race lol I dont mind.

Same for me but it's looking like their not :(

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#37  Edited By Extremis

@dernman: SOME people care sure. But everytime stuff like this happens, the whiners come out of the woodwork. Basically no one talked about Johnny Storm before this, save for maybe his number one fan on here (if one exists).

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By BR_Havoc

He could be a good Johnny but I think they need to go with a black Sue so they keep their brother/sister relationship (Also please no one come at me with what about adoption they were not adopted in the comics so why add something that will change the dynamic).

Saddest part I have seen the rumored short list for Sue and Reed, Wow its bad if they cast any of the actors they want for the parts Micheal B Jordan will be the oldest member of the team and I mean he will look much older. I love the F4 and was excited for this movie but Josh just wants to make Chronicles 2 with a bigger budget this could be a huge flop.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: So he and Sue are gonna be a different race? Why!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! So are they gonna be adopted or something.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't they just cast a white dude?? You know, because the Human Torch is actually a white guy

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: So he and Sue are gonna be a different race? Why!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! So are they gonna be adopted or something.

I have no idea :( they might not even be related.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@14nc3: I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Lol

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 14NC3
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Not a fan.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dernman

@extremis said:

@dernman: SOME people care sure. But everytime stuff like this happens, the whiners come out of the woodwork. Basically no one talked about Johnny Storm before this, save for maybe his number one fan on here (if one exists).

You're still not getting what I'm saying. Just because they doesn't have the amount of fans, even if the might not get attention, or they are not on their top favorites it doesn't mean people don't care.

Say a particular character wasn't even on their top list. I doesn't mean they don't care.

Also just because you like a character it doesn't necessarily mean you talk about them. One of characters I'm most sentimental about I've never even talked about on this site because he's a low tier character.

Too just sweep it away like people don't care or say people are whiners because they are showing their displeasure over making what is stupid, needless changes is false not to mention wrong.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not racist but.

BB

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: Are you aware of how many people have half-siblings, but never regard them in such a manner? This renders half-siblings as only thought of as siblings.

Neither Johnny nor Sue's characters depend on them being white, only that they are siblings.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

@snarkybits said:

What i'm trying to say is that it's simpler just having them as a normal bro and sis. If you ask most people: would you have the storm's as siblings from the same ethnicity or as half siblings I guarantee you most would choose the first option.

Not true, not every brother and sister have the same mom and dad. If anything it could appeal to families like mine, I have 2 brothers who don't share the same dad, but share the same mother. And we act like real brothers, nothing is complicated about it.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By snarkybits
Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If source material isn't going to be embraced might as well not do the damn movie. Thumbs down.