Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

MCU Thor Respect thread + feat breakdown

• 144 results
    Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spector_Rand

So, I noticed there isn't really any respect threads for CBM characters so I thought i'd start making them. This will be slightly different from comic character respect threads, as i'll be trying to break down each feat as well. If you have any info regarding the feats or disagree with the info i've presented, please comment below and i'll try to update it all in. Comment if you'd like me to make for other characters and list which character you want next. All speculation will be in italics.

(AoU feats will be in text form unless I manage to find a gif/video for them. Please share if you have any.)

Anyway, here we go.

Reaction time

MCU Thor has a surprising amount of solid reaction time feats that have consistently spread throughout all his appearances.

From Thor
    From Thor

The first of many examples of Thor blocking projectile beams after they have been fired. Probably on the lower end of his reaction time feats, it's still very impressive, clearly surpassing human reaction speeds.

From Avengers
    From Avengers

Here he manages to avoid the wing of a plane thrown by the Hulk, again after it had been thrown. This is notable because said wing manages to cross a distance of roughly 60 meters or so in less than two seconds and continued to carry on after tearing the roof of the car.

Screengrab I used to measure the distance. Calculations are only rough.
    Screengrab I used to measure the distance. Calculations are only rough.

(If anyone has the time/skill, could they work out the specific distance from the image above. Note, Hulk threw the wing from further back than he is in that image.)

From Avengers
    From Avengers

Again we have Thor blocking projectile beams after they had been fired. Faster than the beams from the Destroyer, the Chitauri weapons are powered by something similar t Badassium (the element Iron Man created), which is a derivative of the Tesseracts energy signature.

From Avengers
    From Avengers

This one is a bit harder to work out. It looks like Thor moves Mjolnir into the path of the beam from the sceptre after it fires, but it could be aim blocking. Regardless, it still shows impressive reaction time.

In Avengers AoU, during the first conflict with Ultron I after the party, Thor dodges multiple repulser beams after they had been fired from an Iron Legion drone at point blank range. He also blocks the repulser attacks from multiple Ultron drones at the end of the movie. (If anyone has clips of these fights, it would be greatly appreciated.)

Striking Feats

Probably Thor's second best department, he repeatedly sends his opponents flying into the air, often times these opponents being superhuman in stats.

From Thor
    From Thor
    From Thor
    From Thor

Here, Thor is easily knocking Frost Giants flying with single strikes. Note that Frost Giants are super human in their physicals and were capable of striking Asgardians with enough force to send them some distance.

From Thor
    From Thor

Here Thor bursts through an attack from Gungnir, which disintegrated everyone else it hit, to bullrush Loki and smash him through the wall of the chamber and dozens of meters away..

From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers

Here Thor overpowers Iron Man, both times sending him some distance with single strikes.

From Avengers
    From Avengers

A very impressive feat, here Thor strikes Caps shield, which knocks a massive section of the forest. This is a precursor to a more controversial feat that we'll see later on (you know the one). From what I understand, in the movie universe Vibranium can abosorb vibrations. However it consistently seems to redirect attacks as well. My explanation is this: Vibranium has a set capacity for the amount of vibrations it can absorb. Once it reaches this capacity, the energy from whatever is striking it cannot be absorbed, but is instead "bounced" away when it hits the shield. This explains the redirection of energy. Note, this is extremely similar to what happens to photoelectrons. So, this means that the attack is all Thors power, not amplified by Caps shield, simply redirected.

From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers

Here Thor strikes Hulk, one of the most powerful characters in the MCU, with another force to temporarily daze him.

From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers

Thor striking a car with enough force and accuracy to take out roughly a dozen Chitauri, as well as repeating his casual dismissal of the Frost Giants on the Chitauri foot soldiers. While some leagues away from a Frost Giant in physicals, Chitauri are still above humans.

From Thor: The Dark World

Some of Thor's more impressive striking feats, these are against Malekith, a Dark Elf enhanced by the Reality Gem. While unimpressive overall, Malekith's physicals seemed to be at least superior to Thor's, if not greater. In the gifs above, Thor striking Malekith creates a shockwave that shatters the ground and breaks glass, a highly impressive feat considering a shockwave continues to lose energy the further it is from the epicentre. At the furthest point of this shockwave (shown), it still manages to knock over human civilians who are over 100 meters away.

In Avengers Age of Ultron, Thor has many impressive striking feats, with a large number consisting of just hand to hand strikes, no Mjolnir. He sends Hydra soldiers enhanced with Chitauri tech flying with simple kicks and punches, as well as obliterating Ultron Drones with single strikes.

Speed

Thor consistently bull rushes his opponents before they can react, often hitting them with such force that they are propelled through the nearby terrain.

From Thor
    From Thor
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Thor
    From Thor

All the above show a consistent portrayal of Thors speed, the second image is even sans Mjolnir. The third image in the above set is the most impressive. Thor is able to cover hundreds of meters in less than five seconds.

In fact, Mjolnir itself seems to be one of the fastest moving items in CBM's. It's capable of travelling between planets in minutes, as shown during Thor's climactic battle with Malekith. However, as it was moving by itself, without Thor, it cannot be assumed he can use those speeds in combat.

Destructive Power

Thor's most valuable asset, he contains unmatched destructive capabilities. Some of these will be controversial (again, you know what i'm talking about), so if you have a differing opinion to mine and provide suitable evidence to reinforce your point (not just disagreeing or complaining, but present an argument as to why) I will edit it in as a counter, just so people don't feel like I am propagating misinformation.

From Thor
    From Thor

An extremely impressive feat, Thor destroys a near ridiculously large mass ice in Jotunheim. This is made more impressive when you take int consideration the fact that 30" of ice can hold up to 70 tons of weight. Considering the fact that the ground in Jotunheim is much thicker than 30", as well as the sheer size of the destruction, this attack must be well over 100 tons in force.

From Thor
    From Thor

Here Thor destroys a section of the rainbow bridge, resulting in a massive explosion. Initially, I thought the explosion was a result of the bridge getting destroyed, but after consideration, I think that it is actually Thor's attack. When looking at his attack on the Leviathans and the destruction of Sokovia, all three feature large explosions of THE EXACT SAME COLOUR.

From Avengers
    From Avengers

Thor obliterating two Leviathans. Note the explosion of blue energy at the epicentre of the lightning, it is the same colour as both the rainbow bridge feat and the Sokovia feat.

From Avengers: Age of Ultron

Well, here it is. Probably the biggest point of discussion about the movie on the Vine. I've seen both Fanboys and reasonable Viners debating for either side, so I can't say which side is correct, but here is my opinion on what. In the movie, Iron Man specifically mentions the fact that the Vibranium core has a magnetic field surrounding it. He also notes that Thor could destroy the land mass, but that they would need him to fully vaporise it to prevent a massive death toll. Tony then comes up with the solution to create a heat seal at the bottom of the Vibranium core, thus disrupting the magnetic field and allowing the energy from Thor's attack to make contact with the core. As noted earlier, Vibranium has the capacity to absorb vibrations, not amplify energy. However, as I noted earlier, a good explanation is that once Vibranium reaches its capacity for vibration absorption, any incoming energy is bounced away (similar to how photoelectrons work). This makes sense in context of the feat, as Iron Man removes the heat seal, enabling Thor's attack to spread down into the core and rebound of it, all the way down its length, ensuring the power from his attack is dispersed throughout the landmass. This is supported by the feat in the forest from the first Avengers film. So, I feel it was all Thor's power, just redistributed to maximise the level of destruction.Things to note:

• The Vibranium core is intact after the destruction of the landmass
    • The city flew due to repurposed antigravity technology taken from the Chitauri Leviathans (as indicated in the Age of Ultron: Art of the Moviebook.)

Again, thats just my interpretation of events, if you disagree please provide a reason why and I will add it here so all opions are represented.

Physicals

Thor has consistently shown his capacity to take damage throughout his four appearances, having only been knocked unconscious twice (Once during the climactic explosion that occurred when defeating Malekith and once during the destruction of Sokovia.) He has immense physical strength, and superhuman stamina.Thor has overpowered characters like Iron Man, Loki and multiple Frost Giants, as well as matching Hulk and an infinity gem-fuelled Malekith. He ha staken punishment from Kurse, Ultron, Malekith and Hulk and got back up to fight.

From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Avengers
    From Thor
    From Thor

Some examples of strength.

So thats it, please comment if you think I should add or change anything

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Awesome

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legacy6364: @lettsplay10:haha thank you, took a bit of time. Would you be interested in me doing some for other characters?

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By lettsplay10
    Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Am_Lightning
    Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not bad, very good

i can see bats vs supes amping superman greatly just so that he can be better than thor lol

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: Thanks haha

Yeah, I hope Supes gets some solid feats, though hopefully not enough to put my boy Thor down :)

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: Yeah, considering Ragnarok is his next movie, I assume we're gonna see him let loose

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: oh right haha sorry the image wasn't loading. Yeah no worries haha, thought you'd like a look

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_Am_Lightning
    Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spector_Rand

@thor_parker82: Thanks man. Hopefully I convinced some people of Thors potential

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123: Thanks haha. Any suggestions for other characters?

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Heatblaze
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great. Really good job. I'm surprised someone hasn't made this before, so I'm happy you did it. Hopefully he gets some more good ones in Ragnarok.

If I remember correctly, right before the final battle thor went to the bottom of sokovia and saw the old Leviathan chitauri thing, and then the ceiling collapsed and a bunch of huge chunks of rock fell on him, and he was perfectly fine after.

And I know you don't have a gif for this but thor casually destroying a tank by hitting Cap's shield is worth mentioning too.

Also, on the destruction of Sokovia feat- Tony suggests Thor hitting the core to which Friday responds by saying that it would crack, but the falling pieces would still cause too much damage. That's why tony comes up with the plan to vaporize the city. Thor's destructive power was never the issue, Friday states he could crack the city. He just couldn't vaporize it, which makes sense.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad.

You make those GIFs by yourself?

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spider-ManWins
    Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Spector_Rand
    Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not super impressive, but I saw it in one of the trailers or something from the first scene where cap is on the motorcycle and then Thor drops in and sends a tank flying that hulk catches just by landing on it. Think it could possibly be a good feat of looked at closely.

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu: Damn haha I knew I forgot someone. Sorry bro, it was heaps late when I made it. You'll get the next one dw

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spector_rand: I like it. I could never make gifs myself though so good work to you :)

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spector_rand: It's very good especially having taken those clips out of the movies. How longd that take?

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not super impressive, but I saw it in one of the trailers or something from the first scene where cap is on the motorcycle and then Thor drops in and sends a tank flying that hulk catches just by landing on it. Think it could possibly be a good feat of looked at closely.

I don't remember this at all. Link?

Great thread sir, I'd love to see an MCU Hulk version.

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.