#1 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

I did an experiment to see if their reliable.

I joined their community and proceeded to write BS on the pages. I wrote that Sentry, Gladiator are rip offs. I gave wrong information, deleted parts of characters pages. Gave characters new power sets, spammed the pages with random stuff, also wrote a bunch of stuff saying DC was better. There is a person on their who is like the moderators on CV. He deleted anything bias, wrong, stupid,etc and added all the stuff I deleted in a manner of about 10 minutes. He then messaged me and said if I don't like a a character, like a company better than the other that that was fine and that I was entitled to my opinion but that people come here for information not opinion based stuff. He then blocked me and banned me from writing anything at all on Marvel Wiki.

I therefore conclude that Marvel Wiki is a reliable source and that anything unreliable is dealt with and fixed in a manner of minutes.

I will do DC wiki next.

Any questions or thoughts?

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: I think that's dickish and you should be ashamed of yourself.

#3 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: It was an experiment. I was trying to see if it was a reliable source. I would never do that because I thought it was funny.

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: It's essentially graffiti. Whether you find it funny or not, doesn't matter, you took time away from that Admin who could've been doing more to help that wiki instead of cleaning up your mess. If you wanted to see how fast or reliable a wiki is, you just check their source or history page. This was an unnecessary waste of time.

#5 Posted by joewell (6590 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Can you still send massages? You should tell the guy that it was and experiment and that your sorry

But cool idea

#6 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: That wouldn't have been enough to convince the people on this site.

#7 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Who cares? Wikis are only good for grabbing a closer source from. Anything a wiki says that isn't sourced isn't worth the paper its written on.

#8 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: I did it because CV's Library while great it doesn't have everything about a character. I did this so people would be able to use more sources that the Library on this site because Marvel Wiki's Library is extremely vast and I wanted to prove it was reliable so viners can use it if CV's library doesn't have something(which a lot of the times in my experience it doesn't) that they could use a source reliable. All CV users say Wikipedia is an unreliable source and I proved that it wasn't and if that's a problem to you than I'm truly sorry.

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: That's irrelevant, you should apologize to the admins whose time you wasted. And not do it with the DC wiki.

#10 Edited by JediXMan (31265 posts) - - Show Bio

Wookieepedia is "reliable" in that sense, too. But that doesn't mean they're always right.

Also, noticing incorrect information and outright vandalism are two completely different things.

#11 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: You know what I don't care what you think anymore. Good Day.

#12 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: I also exagerated a lot of the stuff.

#13 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: You came to a forum, lied about what you did? Did you think we'd call you cool or something? I hope you get a lesson out of this.

#14 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar:

@RoyHarperBLOW: You came to a forum, lied about what you did? Did you think we'd call you cool or something? I hope you get a lesson out of this.

Quite the contrary actually.

#15 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

And what if someone didn't fix your vandalism? Then the page is just vandalized.

Also, you're test proves that they have admins and users that fix damage, just like this site does. You're test didn't prove the wiki to be reliable, just maintained. All you really did was waste the admins time.

The best bet for checking reliability is to read the comics. Your second best bet is to check multiple sources, just like anything else information related in life.

Your pointless test will most likely go the exact same way on DC wiki, so don't bother wasting their time to prove nothing.

#16 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Maintaing the info to make sure it's correct.

#17 Posted by JediXMan (31265 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@jloneblackheart: Maintaing the info to make sure it's correct.

That's not what they did. As I previously said:

@JediXMan said:

Also, noticing incorrect information and outright vandalism are two completely different things.

It doesn't prove anything.

@jloneblackheart said it best: do your research to verify information. That's the only way to make your "point."

#18 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: There's a difference between blatantly wrong information and incorrect information. If you make it obvious, anyone with limited knowledge would notice, especially on popular characters. Your test proved nothing except the admins ban vandals and they have ways to revert their wikis. Something CV does not have. I'm half inclined to wiki ban you here because of this stunt. This type of damage could not be easily undone on our site.

#19 Edited by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: It was an experiment,it is not like he did it for kicks.He was trying to prove something and this was (one way,well off the top of my head) the only way he could have done it.He wasn't "wasting" anyone's time,because when they took the time to change the incorrect info (into correct information),that shows that the marvel wiki is a good source,so their work actually pays off to what they were aiming for (a reliable wiki on favorite/popular characters.I also like it when my wiki is clean,and very well known).Nobody is really asking that moderator to do his job,but then again it is his responsibility/duty,but he doesn't have to do it.So he was just doing his job.And it was for a higher purpose,but sorry he had to waste a minute or maybe an hour of his day.But if he really had something important to do,I don't think he would be hanging on a comic-book wiki all day.

#20 Posted by JediXMan (31265 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

I'm half inclined to wiki ban you here because of this stunt. This type of damage could not be easily undone on our site.

You can do that?

#21 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: This is terrible logic.

#22 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: You think I would vandalize this site???? WOW. I never said I did this for kicks. I already know CV is reliable site I was just probing that a so called unreliable source is in fact reliable.

#23 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: You vandalized another site. You're planning to vandalize another.

Regardless of your "experiment," it's still vandalism. If you know CV is reliable, then who cares if the Marvel wiki is? Any info they have there you can read and come back to discuss here to verify the truth, without causing any damage.

#24 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: I'm going to do something to the DC Wiki. Just not what you think.

#25 Posted by jloneblackheart (5482 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Your experiment is flawed.

I'm sure it works just the same way there as it does here. The mods (admins) who do a lot of the work to the wiki help to maintain it, but also require a certain amount of user participation. It's a community just like here. There is no doubt erroneous information on our site as well as theirs. And most of it is because of exaggerators (fanboys), people posting hearsay and out of context material as fact (people who don't read the material), and VANDALS.

If you make obviously incorrect edits, they will be repaired. If you make minor erroneous edits, no one will notice for a long time, if ever. So you either end up with either "the wiki is accurate" or the "wiki is inaccurate," both of which ae false. You're wasting your time and an admins time, for nothing.

#26 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: I already have a better plan.

#27 Edited by JediXMan (31265 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart:

It's also worth mentioning that the Marvel wiki and DC wiki are run by the same admins (or they were the last time I visited, which was about a year or two ago).

#28 Posted by RazzaTazz (8968 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:

@RoyHarperBLOW: There's a difference between blatantly wrong information and incorrect information. If you make it obvious, anyone with limited knowledge would notice, especially on popular characters. Your test proved nothing except the admins ban vandals and they have ways to revert their wikis. Something CV does not have. I'm half inclined to wiki ban you here because of this stunt. This type of damage could not be easily undone on our site.

I am with JLone on this.  I see no reason why their mods should be subjected to this.  We lose good wiki editors all the time on this site because people vandalize or plagiarize the wiki and so why lose good people for an experiment like this.  It would be better to PM their admins and ask how things go administering this stuff.  
#29 Posted by Renchamp (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares about other wikis? If something is lacking on ours then do the research and update it. I never go to the Marvel wiki. I'm sure it's reliable, but so is a comic book dealing with the info I'm looking for. To be perfectly blunt, I hate this experiment. Please don't tell us how your DC "experiment" goes.

#30 Posted by tupiaz (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

It is the same with all wikis most of them can give you an idea how the topic is, but you have to check the details/facts yourself. This plan is plain stupid and make not sense at all. Why the rivalry between different wikis why don’t just use the one who has the best wiki on the given topic?

#31 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@RoyHarperBLOW: I think that's dickish and you should be ashamed of yourself.

@RazzaTazz said:

It would be better to PM their admins and ask how things go administering this stuff.
#32 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

it was a douchebaggy move, but on the other hand, there ought to be some type of drills for admins. it's obviously not a job like teachers, firefighters, etc... but those and almost everything else that requires some kind of aptitude and responsability had drills and evaluations. it was not the best way to procede but Im not sure if Marvel Wiki as any of these evaluation systems or drills exercises. and to the OP, what you did didn't really prove realibility, you'd need more evidence for that, and a slightly different approach. just getting here and telling us and the community "its reliable because I tested it" it's pretty close to nothing. proof is needed

#33 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole topic has been interesting, I don't believe that I' d tamper with any wiki info or experimentfor the fact of that matter. It seems more logical to ask the moderators for those sites any questions that may come to mind, instead of using mischief/ trickery. There are many rewards to reap, physical or not, from politeness and good manerism.