Marvel vs. DC: Why do you read just one or both?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

Due to budget constraints, I've typically kept to DC. If I can only afford a few books, I like to read stuff that's happening in the same universe so I don't miss out on references to other major story lines. I've stood by DC mainly because Batman-Superman made bigger impressions on my childhood then any of the other superheroes.

Marvel Now is really making me reconsider though. That Deadpool book with zombie presidents looks too fun.

DC_Comics_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DC_Comics_Fan

I love DC Comics,it only started a few months ago,friends of mine saw Avengers and basically was talking about how great Marvel is and were mocking DC Comics,so I always stand up for the underdog and decided to learn about DC Comics and bought a few "New 52". I go obsessed with Batman, it's just an amazing character.I find that in my country Marvel is more popular (South Africa), but i want to spread the DC Comics love, I do however read anything .

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
I buy just DC because most Marvel titles  bore me...and for budget reasons. (current pull is 32 titles)
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

I tend to pick my favourites and books I'm interested in from both sides. I've found it's better when I mix things up with my reading.

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By MaxSchreck

I prefer Dc , Marvels heroes seem to fight each other all the time... and superheroes should safe the innocents instead of having quarrel all the time.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

I read both because this rivalry is something the companies (DC and Marvel) came up with, not something necessary. Yes, they obviously want to sell more than the other, but there's no real reason to only read from one company when both of them offer great stories, even if you prefer one's characters and concepts over the other.

For example, I'm not a huge Hulk (or Marvel) fan but that didn't stop me from enjoying Planet Hulk, one of the best Marvel stories I've ever read.

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

I stick to DC, but that's because I never really got the opportunity to get into Marvel. Most of their popular characters don't really do anything for me, but I like Iron Man's power armor.

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stick to DC for budget reasons. I like to get the full story of what is happening in a universe. If I had more money I would gladly pull Marvel as well. However, DC characters have always been my favorite.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By briangsharon

I stick to DC because I find that the characters tend to be based more in science or traditional science fiction (obviously there are exceptions).

I only buy 1 Marvel title.... Deadpool - Mainly because theres a lack of a comedic title in the DC library

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xybernauts

Right now I only read DC Comics.

Really it was because of Marvel Civil War. I read comics on and off. I invested a good amount of time reading Marvel Civil War. The story seemed to start off pretty good and seemed to be going somewhere, but the ending it was so empty. I just feel dirty when I waste time on bad stories. There might be some good stories in Marvel, but honestly, I'm afraid if I give Marvel a try I'll get another empty story that goes no where.

I have read a few different highly recommended DC comics and usually I feel satisfied by the end of the story. To me their stories are more gratifying. I recently started reading comics again. The New 52 drew me in because of all the hype around it and because I could start fresh without having to catch up on alot of background material.

I have also been reading back issues of Milestone comics, before it was owned by DC.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I read both. I follow artists and storylines. I grew up loving teen titans, LSH and Xmen. I buy about 15-20 books a month with a 60/40 split in favor of DC currently.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Blood1991

I read from both though I prefer the Marvel Universe. I love characters in both universes and try to read titles about characters I enjoy, I also spend way more of my money in comics than I should :/

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal19

I stick to DC because I dont have enough money to read marvel stuff. And there are so many good DC books that i cant skip over them in favor of marvels

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By lightsout

My first dip into reading comics (was already into comic-heros, from the cartoons & such) was Marvel's Planet Hulk & WWHulk, but my first time reading a specific title/book was JLA (justice league vol3), and Batman/Superman (and these 2 remain my favorite series). And after that I just read more & more DC (like if an event or w/e was mentioned in one of those 2 books, I looked up that, and kept branching out more & more). I've read some Marvel since then, but much more DC. With Marvel I know more of their world (like reading summaries & wikis & such), while with DC I've actually "experienced" the information (read the books they've happened in, etc). I really enjoy a lot of Marvel's individual characters, but I just feel more comfortable reading a DC book now (feeling that I know what's going on all over their universe (pre-52), etc. Like, if I go back & read something from the 90's, I would pretty much know what the state of all the main people was at the time, etc).

Another thing that might have played a part was that DC dominated the animated field more recently in my life (I watched Spiderman & X-Men, but I was younger then as opposed to when Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc. were out), so I was extra familiar with them.

RaptorJesus69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By RaptorJesus69

I read DC because the first comics I ever read were TDKR, Arkham Asylum, Watchmen, Tales from the Bizarro World, & Blackest Night. I was never really in superhero comic books until I went inside my very first comic book store a few months ago and I fell in love. I became fan of Batsy & Supes (read a lot of pre-52 stuff of them) and started liking the other members of the League as well thanks to the New 52. (Flash, GL, WW, Aquaman) Although, I'm not digging Action Comics/Superman right now (No Bizzaro boooo, Superman doesn't punch or shoot lasers as much I'd expect) or any stuff from Detective Comics ( Batman doesn't punch as much and the stories aren't as great as the other Bat book. (Snyder's) Action Comics style Snyder's Batman is a masterpiece, as with Flash, JL, Aquaman, and Simon Baz.

But, thing is, I have a giant inclination to Marvel. Watching the first Spider-Man movie as child was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had in my life. The first Comic Book run I've finished reading is Ultimate Spider-Man. All issues of both volumes. I barely read any Amazing Spider-Man stuff or any of the 616 universe because I was too in love with the Ultimate Universe. The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men were a blast too. It took a lot for me to accept that Ultimate Peter Parker was gonna die and he was probably the only character I cared about. Still, I continue buying the Ultimate Books and I'm currently loving all three. But yes, that being said, Marvel's books are too expensive compared to DC's. The fact that DC dishes out good stuff for 3 dollars is a no brainer. Marvel NOW is practically draining my money right now as there are too many I want to get. Uncanny X-Men for the New Anti-Hero Cyclops, Wolverine and the X-Men, Cable and the X-Force, Indestructible Hulk & Hickman's Avengers (Penciled by my country's artists!), Deadpool (My Favorite X-Man with Logan & Cyclops) , Thunderbolts, and Young Avengers.

geoff2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By geoff2005

i will read both eventually, but im trying to play catch up with DC

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By RedQueen

Read both Marvel and DC (and Vertigo/image e.t.c); both publishers had characters/creators that interested me/I liked. At the moment I've got more DC on my pull list that Marvel, but I'm sure it will even out eventually though.