Marvel vs DC: Pushing their comics

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

Edited By doordoor123

I've noticed that both Marvel and DC push their comics differently. Both do interviews, talk to fans and have teasers, but I'm talking about something else entirely. I'm talking about books that already out. Books that have a declining readership. Sometimes its just books in general. "What are you talking about Doordoor?" Let me explain.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

With Marvel we tend to see relaunching. Or a new direction. A good example would be Fantastic Four, Daredevil or even Black Panther. These are usually done after an event. Fantastic Four as had good loyal fans throughout the years but it was never where Marvel wanted it to be. They think that their top their characters should be at the top of the chart. And following the "Four" event it did get there. FF followed Fantastic Four in the new direction and was a smash hit. It seemed to be working. But it doesn't happen in all cases. Look at Black Panther. Black Panther has been having an identity crisis because he can't seem to connect to enough readers. He's been the Black Panther, The man without fear and now the American Panther. Still I suspect the book will have low ratings. My advice would be to literally reboot Black Panther. His origins have been too stereotypical africa. A nation such as Wakanda should be more advanced. Not so stuck in the past. Progressive. But it hasn't been at all. Thats beside the point though. Marvel doesn't really do full reboots. They only relaunch the titles. Which apparently gets a ton of readership. The problem is where Marvel draws the line. They don't draw a line. If something isn't doing as well as it should be or if they just want more readership someone will die or there will be a new status quo for a book or a line of books. If this is working for them, great, but I don't see how this helps make better stories.

No Caption Provided

DC tends to do something a little differently. I might be bias towards DC so forgive me for being a little nicer to DC. They tend to change creative teams. A good example would be Action Comics or more recently Green Arrow. Grant Morrison and Rags Morrales were put on that comic for a reason. I know I wouldn't be picking up Action Comics without Grant Morrison on it. I think a lot of other people would feel the same. And Green Arrow has changed writers as of issue 4. Do you think it was because Krul found a new project or because DC offered a different project because Green Arrow wasn't getting much of a positive response? I think it was the second one. Green Arrow is one of DC's top tier character and they want a strong response from the public for this book. You could argue that the change had to happen before the book was even released but maybe DC anticipated the negative response towards it. Not to say that a lot of it wasn't good. I actually enjoyed the issue. I know others have as well. It's when DC sees a character or concept with a lot of potential, they try to push it with a new creative team. Usually when they choose a new direction, its with the same creative team though.

Which is more effective? DC or Marvel? I say who knows? I lost my train of thought so ill end this here. Perhaps ill finish this once I think a little.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Ugh, I'm so tired of what Marvel is doing to Black Panther recently. You say Wakanda should be more advanced, I thought they were already pretty advanced. I'm more prone to stick with a title if they change the writer and artist rather than changing a costume or something like that. I'm not a Superman fan really but I sure did pick up Action#1 when I saw Morrison on it.

Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

#2  Edited By Blurred View

I tend to find Marvel does this kind of thing more effectively, for the reasons you mention. They generally use big stories to get people's attentions and build up to the launch of a new series. Incredible Hercules springs out of World War Hulk. Black Panther: Man Without Fear springs out of Shadowland. Secret Warriors from Secret Invasion. FF from Three. Nova from Annihilation.

DC, on the other hand, tends to launch things cold. Like they launch series and just hope for the best. Here's Zatanna by Paul Dini. Go. Here's Doom Patrol by Keith Giffen. Here's yet another Freedom Fighters from Palmiotti and Gray. Here are the Red Circle heroes. And it bothers me when they do this because it seems like they aren't putting in the extra effort to give these books a better shot. The books are just cast out into the cold with fingers crossed. Some manage to last for a few years but rarely do you see one get decent sales.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By daredevil21134

T'Challa becoming the American panther was stupid.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@daredevil21134 said:

T'Challa didnt become the American Panther. It was a completely different person.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By doordoor123

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@daredevil21134 said:

T'Challa didnt become the American Panther. It was a completely different person.

I'm talking about the book. not the person.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Don't understand the blog.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I thought he put on the costume at the end

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@doordoor123 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I'm talking about the book. not the person.

What about the book? sorry i'm zoning out today