#1 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

In your opinion, which is the better comic company? -Characters -Character Development -Story Arcs -Writers -Illustrations -Overall "Coolness" Factor

#2 Posted by Immortal777 (7574 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the diffrence

#3 Posted by rdskns4eva (201 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is like Nintendo and Marvel is like Sony or Xbox to me, whereas Nintendo has Mario, Zelda and Metroid which are pop culture icons but Sony and Xbox has better everything else.

Marvel doesnt have anyone that is on the same level was Superman or Batman but Marvel has much better secondary characters (Iron Man, Captain America, Punisher ect)

My opinion of course.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdskns4eva: Marvel = Disney

DC = Not disney

#5 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.

#6 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on your perspective.

#7 Posted by TifaLockhart (14050 posts) - - Show Bio

DC. I find Marvel to be weird.

#8 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Mmm, as a Marvel reader, I guess the same could be said for DC.

Its all about perspective and how well you deal with continuity. DC and Marvel both have their own messed up convoluted history, so each to its own.

Both of them have great series

DC: Scott Snyder on Swamp Thing and Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, G Morrison on Superman,

Marvel: Daredevil, Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Venom, Hickman's Fantastic Four, Wolverine and the X-Men

Are all (I can't speak for DC, but I'm sure they are) good reads.

#9 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (2827 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.

I.A.T.

#10 Posted by AssertingValor (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

DC, some marvel characters are good.

#11 Edited by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have made very good and very poor stories.

I like DC More but there are Marvel characters I enjoy, Daredevil, Bucky, Captain America, Black Panther, Iron Man, Daken, Nova, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Gorgon, Genis Vell, etc

#12 Posted by Immortal777 (7574 posts) - - Show Bio

I like DC more overall but I like Marvel for their street levelers

#13 Posted by jnw93 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel

I only like Batman and the flash from DC

i dont find the rest that interesting :/

#14 Edited by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@jnw93 said:

Marvel

Me Too. Batman and the really well known proprieties of DC( JLA,TT, YG,Catwoman etc) are my only bread and butter from the company.Even then, I'm still mostly into DC because of  the Batman Universe.

Most of DC's characters are almost god like when you put them on the Marvel power scale or  even Image comics.I think they have too many overpowered characters running around.Not only that, but Marvel has a more balanced , mature and feel of realism to their universe.DC was so choppy and all over the place and inconsistent for years on years upon end,which is why they rebooted.. Ala: New 52

The reboot while great for them, Marvel is still slaying them and even though the MU has it's wanky spots here and there,they've been more consistent with their craft.It wasn't only until recent years they started to get a bit off track with their newer staff additions...even still. 

Also the MU is more relevant in pop culture and other media, because they have better promotional deals outside of  just the comic industry solely.They also have a better movie industry with their live action films. 

Though DC is owning the animation department right now. 

Overall though  

I'm A true believer  (: 

TEAM MARVEL FTW!

#15 Posted by jnw93 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500: Yes DC are running Animation

id like to see a new X-men cartoon like evolution or the 80s cartoon

not that anime version even though i do like anime, the US write comic book animation better

#16 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

Most of DC's characters are almost god like when you put them on the Marvel power scale or even Image comics.I think they have too many overpowered characters running around.Not only that, but Marvel has a more balanced , mature and feel of realism to their universe.DC was so choppy and all over the place and inconsistent for years on years upon end,which is why they rebooted.. Ala: Flashpoint.

Explain.

#17 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

@jnw93 said:

Marvel

Me Too. Batman and the really well known proprieties of DC( JLA,TT, YG,Catwoman etc) are my only bread and butter from the company.Even then, I'm still mostly into DC because of the Batman Universe.

Most of DC's characters are almost god like when you put them on the Marvel power scale or even Image comics.I think they have too many overpowered characters running around.Not only that, but Marvel has a more balanced , mature and feel of realism to their universe.DC was so choppy and all over the place and inconsistent for years on years upon end,which is why they rebooted.. Ala: Flashpoint.

The reboot while great for them, Marvel is still slaying them and even though the MU has it's wanky spots here and there,they've been more consistent with their craft.It wasn't only until recent years they started to get a bit off track with their newer staff additions...even still.

Also the MU is more relevant in pop culture and other media, because they have better promotional deals outside of just the comic industry solely.They also have a better movie industry with their live action films.

Though DC is owning the animation department right now.

Overall though

I'm A true believer (:

TEAM MARVEL FTW!

If anything Marvel is more inconsistent than DC is. Namor for example is a character that's gone toe to toe with characters like an enraged Hulk, Thor and even Silver Surfer yet he just got pwned by Thing in AvX...while underwater. Thor is one of most powerful heroes in Marvel yet he got beat down by Osborns initiative.

Saying their more mature and have more realism is also bullcrap. Deadpool is the pinnacle of immaturity and neither company is realistic, you can't goat about realism in a universre where characters run around in costumes and have powers.

Marvel is still slaying them? In what exactly? Certainly not their stories, so far A v X has been sub par and Fear itself was terrible.

Sales? DC has been beating Marvel in sales since September, So what exactly are Marvel slaying them in?

All tell you what Marvel is slaying DC in, their slaying DC when it comes to milking the hell out of their franchises, that's why there's 10 different X-men titles, 6 different Avenger titles. 4 or 5 five different Hulk titles. In fact most of Marvel's main characters have at least 2 different series, Wolverine has 2, Spiderman has 2 or maybe even 3, Iron Man has 2.

At the most in DC you have 4 different Batman titles and Superman has 2.

As far as films go Marvel has more but DC still has the highest rated and highest grossing superhero film. They pwn Marvel in video games also. And in animation

#18 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@RyuHayabusa said:

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

Explain.

lol sorry. I meant New 52,I have a lot n my mine!..LMFAO.
#19 Edited by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

@RyuHayabusa said:

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

Explain.

lol sorry. I meant New 52,I have a lot n my mine!..LMFAO.

That doesn't answer my question. Explain why DC is inconsistent?

#20 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11659 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I like Marvel. But I stay away from major events, there's just too many to keep up with.

#21 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr: Highest rated movie? maybe. Highest grossing? Im pretty sure that if Avengers hasnt beat it yet, it will soon.

Anyways. I like Marvel, character wise. They have tons of good characters. Dc has good characters too, I just prefer more from Marvel. I also like Marvel's universe better. the concepts, the explanation of powers and origins.

But, DC has better story telling. At least in the last years.

#22 Posted by CerberusPrime3k (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr: I'll have to disagree with Dc pwning Marvel in the videogame department the only "good" dc game that has ever came out has been batman arkham asylum/city the rest are terrible few Console/ mostly handhelds while marvel has released the X-men legends series, Hulk ultimate destruction, wolverine uncaged edition, Marvel Ultimate alliance series, Spider-man web o shadows/dimensions, X-men arcade, Marvel v capcom series.

#23 Edited by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@Dex_Starr: Highest rated movie? maybe. Highest grossing? Im pretty sure that if Avengers hasnt beat it yet, it will soon.

Anyways. I like Marvel, character wise. They have tons of good characters. Dc has good characters too, I just prefer more from Marvel. I also like Marvel's universe better. the concepts, the explanation of powers and origins.

But, DC has better story telling. At least in the last years.

Highest rated movie, Dark Knight has the highest rating on Rottentomatoes, higher than Avengers.

@CerberusPrime3k said:

@Dex_Starr: I'll have to disagree with Dc pwning Marvel in the videogame department the only "good" dc game that has ever came out has been batman arkham asylum/city the rest are terrible few Console/ mostly handhelds while marvel has released the X-men legends series, Hulk ultimate destruction, wolverine uncaged edition, Marvel Ultimate alliance series, Spider-man web o shadows/dimensions, X-men arcade, Marvel v capcom series.

And the only good Marvel video game is...oh wait...there aren't any...most of the games you listed came out years ago on the PS2 and some even 2 decades ago with the X-men Arcade game. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is terrible and the Marvel vs Capcom series hasn't been good in 12 years, that's why Capcom decided to milk the game and release 8 new characters and charge 40 bucks for it 8 months later. No wonder Capcom and Marvel go hand and hand together, both are the kings of milking their franchises.

And really? Wolverine uncaged edition? Please tell me you're not serious. Superman Returns and MK vs DC were better than that and I didn't list them now did I?

Go take a look at the latest Marvel titles, X-men Destiny and Spiderman Edge of Time were both universally panned for being cheap cash in's, games you can beat in 4-5 hours with no replay. Disgraceful

#24 Posted by CerberusPrime3k (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr: Superman Returns is just as bad as the N64 superman game the only thing good about returns was the flying and the watered down mk vs dc is craptastic at best. Most of Marvels great games are classics, two of which were crowned best Comic book video games (Hulk/Ult alliance1) till Batman arkham asylum came about. Wolverine uncaged edition? Yes...it was highly regarded because it captured the wolverine that everybody wanted, it had the action, the gore, the wolverine I and many others would rather see portrayed in movie form.

#25 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@CerberusPrime3k said:

@Dex_Starr: Superman Returns is just as bad as the N64 superman game the only thing good about returns was the flying and the watered down mk vs dc is craptastic at best. Most of Marvels great games are classics, two of which were crowned best Comic book video games (Hulk/Ult alliance1) till Batman arkham asylum came about. Wolverine uncaged edition? Yes...it was highly regarded because it captured the wolverine that everybody wanted, it had the action, the gore, the wolverine I and many others would rather see portrayed in movie form.

MK vs DC actually has a higher metacritic score than Wolverine does so that's a watered down craptistic game then that must make Wolverine diarrhea [which it really was. The only 2 good games you listed were Hulk Ultimate Destruction and Xmen Legends, both came out years ago. Ultimate Alliance was horrible but even if you like it the game came out 6 years ago, you can't even find anyone to play it with online.

I'd rather have one amazing game [which was the highest rate game of 2011 btw] then a bunch of mediocre one's.

#26 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Alliance (the first one) was an amazing game. Doom stealing the power of Odin with the help of Loki and assembling the most formidable Masters of Evil ever was a hella fun story line, and being able to put together your own Avengers team from the largest rooster ever assembled in a video game was awesome. Only downside to it was that it was to easy, but there's not a lot of video games that I really find challenging these days anyway. The only comic book related video games that I'd argue are better then it are the two Arkham games.

And if you don't like the Marvel vs. games, it's probably just cause you don't like fighting games. Nothing wrong with that, as they certainly aren't for everybody, but within the genre they are among the best.

#27 Posted by Equonox (964 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

@RyuHayabusa said:

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

Explain.

lol sorry. I meant New 52,I have a lot n my mine!..LMFAO.

I don't think story/universe consistency/coherence is an argument in favor of Marvel AT ALL. DC rebooted, yes, but a) that helped tie up loose ends and bring all of the comics back into a single, coherent timeline and universe and b) it is INCREDIBLY successful sales and popularity wise, which is certainly a major prop towards DC. Marvel, on the other hand, still has multiple universes that have the same characters with totally different continuity. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (I kind of enjoy it), but you certainly cannot say DC is less coherent/consistent.

I think DC has more iconic characters, deeper/darker stories, especially most Batman stories (i like that, some people don't, to each their own), and better cross-over events (see Flashpoint vs. Fear Itself...no contest). DC makes overall much better business decisions when it comes to the comic industry (not movies, see below), including things like the New 52 (they have held, what, all 10 of the top 10 comics sales-wise every month since reboot?) as well as their purchasing of Vertigo and Wildstorm (Batman and Midnighter in the same universe? Yes please...). Finally, DC video games rock. DC Universe Online and the Arkham games are just nasty, and they have become a fantastic means for DC to branch out even more into a larger customer base. EIt has been a brilliant move by the company as I'm sure it has something to do with the recent popularity increases in DC. I think the video game front is also a major failure for Marvel - they haven't released a major video game since the Ultimate Alliance games and the occasional Spidey game, and those aren't very fun.

I think Marvel has more lively/exciting stories, a much greater variety/dearth of characters, and on average is less grandiose (which I think every Marvel fan and even some DC fans agree is better). On top of that, I think that, sans the Dark Knight trilogy, Marvel movies (especially since Disney bought them) DESTROY DC movies, which I do think says something important about the company in that they realize there is a much larger audience for movie version of their characters and stories than they do the comic/print versions.

All in all, I don't even want to make a decision on this. I read a lot of titles from both companies, and I think both have some major strengths both in terms of their characters/stories as well as how they run their businesses. I think DC is a slightly better company as far as their business decisions have gone, but if they don't catch up in the movie business soon Marvel may start edging them out in the comic department. I think overall I probably do prefer DC, but really not by much. So many unique things to love about both

#28 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde said:

Ultimate Alliance (the first one) was an amazing game. Doom stealing the power of Odin with the help of Loki and assembling the most formidable Masters of Evil ever was a hella fun story line, and being able to put together your own Avengers team from the largest rooster ever assembled in a video game was awesome. Only downside to it was that it was to easy, but there's not a lot of video games that I really find challenging these days anyway. The only comic book related video games that I'd argue are better then it are the two Arkham games.

And if you don't like the Marvel vs. games, it's probably just cause you don't like fighting games. Nothing wrong with that, as they certainly aren't for everybody, but within the genre they are among the best.

I love fighting games, Marvel vs Capcom 3 was just bad though, plus Capcom is milking it with UMVC3. ...how long before the next edition of MVC3 comes out

#29 Posted by thanobomb1124 (2014 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia

DC. I find Marvel to be weird.

lol
#30 Posted by nickzambuto (13651 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

@rdskns4eva: Marvel = Disney

DC = Not disney

DC=Warner Bros

#31 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr said:

@Moonchilde said:

I love fighting games, Marvel vs Capcom 3 was just bad though, plus Capcom is milking it with UMVC3. ...how long before the next edition of MVC3 comes out

Capcom has ALWAYS done that.

Lets see.

1. Street Fighter 2
  2. Street Fighter 2 Champion edition
  3. Street Fighter 2 Hyper Champion edition
  4. Super Street Fighter 2
  5. Super Street Fighter 2 hyper fighting edition

And that's just the ones that I KNOW of off the top of my head, and is probably just the most famous example. Capcom milks the crap out of everything they do, ESPECIALLY with their fighting games, you can hardly use that as a fault against the game itself, and even less so as a fault against Marvel. And MvC3 is a great game within the genre. Much better then any of the Mortal Kombat games.

#32 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moonchilde:They never milked the first 2 MvC games.

2011 Mortal Kombat is better than Marvel vs Capcom 3.

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (37873 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both companies for different reasons. They both have their ups and downs for character developments and stories. If I had to pick a company I would say Marvel just because that is where more of my favorite characters lie. Cyclops, Emma Frost, Thor, James Barnes, Silver Surfer, Captain America, Gambit etc.

#34 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I like both companies for different reasons. They both have their ups and downs for character developments and stories. If I had to pick a company I would say Marvel just because that is where more of my favorite characters lie. Cyclops, Emma Frost, Thor, James Barnes, Silver Surfer, Captain America, Gambit etc.

BLASPHEMY!!! /throws holy water in your face

#35 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has better overall characters

DC has batman

#36 Posted by God_Spawn (37873 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr: GAAAAAH!!! MY FACE.

#37 Posted by Mycroftian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I find a lot of DC's big names to be boring, though they definitely have some cool stuff if you poke around a bit, and Green Lantern+Batman bits of the DCU are pretty cool. Really more of a Marvel man, though.

(also, I wouldn't expect another iteration of MvC3 anytime soon, considering Ultimate didn't do all that well, sales-wise. . . devs meant for the new installment to be released much later, but execs forced it out in time for holiday season, as I recall. It was milkier than it should have been)

#38 Posted by Equonox (964 posts) - - Show Bio

Thumbs up on this thread, btw - really interesting discussion

#39 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Nah this one

#40 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr: Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a GREAT game. If your opinion is contrary, it's okay, but still, most Marvel fans I know, agree all that it was a great game. Even non marvel fans say that.

Also, just because it's highest rated in Rotten Tomatoes it doesn't mean it's the highest rated overall. There's more than Rotten Tomatoes. There's people too, who are not critics. That's why I said maybe, because in RT, TDK is the highest. Just like I said that it will be soon, or it has actually already been toppled by Avengers in box office gross. My point is not that DC's movies are worst, my point is that DC doesn't "pwn" Marvel AT ALL, in movies. It did, in the 70s,80s, but not anymore. It's not DC's fault, it's WB, but still.....

On topic, I think it's ridiculous to argue which one is better based on opinions of each companies products in different media. And as a fan of both companies, I really feel sad when people can't see that there's good in both, and good in the smaller companies too. We should support them, help them grow and stand tall, taking to account the incoming judgment day of comic books

#41 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

Marvel for Movies and Games

DC for Comics and Animation

Just my opinion though. I wish DC/WB were able to push their other characters as well as they do with Batman, it annoys me when people say all DC has is Batman - yet I can't put the entire blame on them for thinking that.

I hope one day they'll give these guys a chance to shine on the big screen (maybe in 2025).?After there done rebooting batman and superman all over again.This video pretty much accurately describes what's happening at Dc.

#42 Posted by BatWatch (2721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dex_Starr said:

Both have made very good and very poor stories.

I like DC More but there are Marvel characters I enjoy, Daredevil, Bucky, Captain America, Black Panther, Iron Man, Daken, Nova, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Gorgon, Genis Vell, etc

QFT

Except that the only Marvel stories I've ever really loved are Exiles and Runaways.

#43 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did i open my fat mouth 

* pray this doesn't turn into a flame war*

#44 Posted by Immortal777 (7574 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

* pray this doesn't turn into a flame war*

Its to late its on "snap" "Snap"

#45 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@Immortal777:  LOL 

All I'm saying is that  I think Marvel overall is better than DC. Not just in comics but even other outlets such as movies and games.DC is milking the hell out of  the Arkham series right now. Though DC might be neck and neck with Marvel in the games department. 

I'm not really here for a looong drawn  out debate.Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
#46 Posted by Jay_Ray (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I only like Batman in DC but I like practically everyone in Marvel.

#47 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

* pray this doesn't turn into a flame war*

Its to late its on "snap" "Snap"

LOL!

Anyway, I find Marvel more entertaining on every spectrum.

#48 Posted by The_Mayhem_Theory (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
I enjoy a select few characters from DC and Marvel, but I am not a fan of them in general. I do play a lot of DCUO, but that gets repetitive after awhile.
#49 Posted by Dex_Starr (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@Dex_Starr: Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a GREAT game. If your opinion is contrary, it's okay, but still, most Marvel fans I know, agree all that it was a great game. Even non marvel fans say that.

Also, just because it's highest rated in Rotten Tomatoes it doesn't mean it's the highest rated overall. There's more than Rotten Tomatoes. There's people too, who are not critics. That's why I said maybe, because in RT, TDK is the highest. Just like I said that it will be soon, or it has actually already been toppled by Avengers in box office gross. My point is not that DC's movies are worst, my point is that DC doesn't "pwn" Marvel AT ALL, in movies. It did, in the 70s,80s, but not anymore. It's not DC's fault, it's WB, but still.....

On topic, I think it's ridiculous to argue which one is better based on opinions of each companies products in different media. And as a fan of both companies, I really feel sad when people can't see that there's good in both, and good in the smaller companies too. We should support them, help them grow and stand tall, taking to account the incoming judgment day of comic books

That's exactly what it means, Rottentomatoes takes everyone's review of the film and compiles a ratio, that's why RT is the best source for finding how good a movie is because it compiles a ratio.

I never said DC pwns Marvel in movies, I stated that DC has the best and highest grossing film and will have it again in July. They do absolutely wreck Marvel in Comics, Animation and Video Games.

#50 Edited by TheMightyAvenger (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think either is particulary better than the other. Right now I'm enjoying DC's new 52 is more than Marvel's AvX which is full of inconsistecies and lacks an interesting story. But a lot of my favorite characters are Marvel character's.