Marvel universe

lbjakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lbjakes

So I just started on a few of the Marvel NOW series and I'm utterly confused, not so much by the plot but how each series relate to the others. For example, do Uncanny X-Men and, say, Uncanny Avengers exist in the same or paraellel universe? If something happens to Woverine in one series, does it affect his counterpart in another? It would be nice if someone can clear this up for me thanks.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

It's all in the same universe and it is possible for one book to effect another.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

If Wolverine die in Uncanny Avengers it affects the other titles he is a part of. Though some titles are in other dimensions. There's a Wolverine in Astonishing X-Men, if he dies it doesn't affect the others. There're other dimensions, the main one with the most focus is called 616. Comic books with other dimensions are often under a certain imprint, like Ultimate. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is in the Ultimate dimension, though there have been cross overs. Like the one in Spider-Men, which features Peter Parker and Miles Morales meeting each other.

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They are in the same universe , so yes .

lbjakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then how come Scott Summers is locked up in the beginning of Uncanny Avengers but is starting a revolution elsewhere in Uncanny/ All-New X-Men?

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lbjakes: Comics don't work in a linear timeline.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They work in the same universe but not in a linear timeline.

Cyclops was freed by Magneto and Team during Uncanny X men before the whole revelation started which sort of ties that one though.

Age of Ultron is one that doesnt fit at all with anything, unless Bendis does something to connect it all in the end.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

If Wolverine die in Uncanny Avengers it affects the other titles he is a part of. Though some titles are in other dimensions. There's a Wolverine in Astonishing X-Men, if he dies it doesn't affect the others. There're other dimensions, the main one with the most focus is called 616. Comic books with other dimensions are often under a certain imprint, like Ultimate. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is in the Ultimate dimension, though there have been cross overs. Like the one in Spider-Men, which features Peter Parker and Miles Morales meeting each other.

Wait, I haven't read Astonishing in quite some time but the Wolverine in it is not 616 Wolvie?

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lbjakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lbjakes

alright thanks guys

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: I'm confused by your answer. You said in your post if Wolverine died in Astonishing, it wouldn't effect the other books, which implies that the Wolverine in Astonishing was a parallel one. I was asking if he was.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Sorry if I'm causing confusion (it's all very confusing to me too). But most titles are in the main Marvel Universe (All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers, FF, Iron Man, Thor: God of Thunder etc) though some titles are not. Astonishing X-Men is an X-Men title featured in another dimension, so that Wolverine doesn't affect the one in Wolverine, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers and Uncanny Avengers etc.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Thanks, I knew all those titles were in 616, but do you know when Astonishing became a non-616 title?

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Thanks, I knew all those titles were in 616, but do you know when Astonishing became a non-616 title?

Which Astonishing X-Men are we talking here cause Astonishing X-Men has always been set in the 616. They just have a looser tie to continuity that the other titles.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vhyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vhyra

Mind you I haven't been in comics for too long, but I'm with everyone else here-- this is a very difficult concept to grasp, especially when different authors are tackling and using characters with their own spin on it. When I first asked about how to start getting into X-men for example, no one really suggested the same answer as anyone else.. meaning there was no concrete beginning. I didn't understand this at all. Then when I was wiki-ing up a character, it had said "Deaths: 5" and then I was blown away-- how could a character die so many times and yet there are so many stories being created with this character even today?

The way I see it is these characters are just that: characters. Marvel and DC created these characters with a back story and they essentially leave it up to other authors and artists to create story arcs with these characters; some continuous story arcs, some not. I've heard that Marvel is way more keen on continuity. DC deals with more story arcs where characters have died in multiple times just about every where.

While I don't have a direct answer to your X-men question since I haven't tackled those series' yet, hopefully I'm shedding some light on how I see all of these characters and universes and how they all work together. The series' that are ongoing 200+ issues, yeah, that's going to be a continuous story line. If someone dies, they are probably dead in just that story arc. That character will probably still be alive in many stories to come.

I've adapted to looking at every new series as something completely different than another series, even if they feature the same characters. And hopefully I'm doing that right because as I said, I'm pretty new into comics as well! Good luck! I'm still trying to grasp this concept. I'm so used to a continuous TV series or a manga series where it's a strict volume 1-20 then a concrete ending.

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Ultron- Alternate Universe- AU

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21 JediXMan  Moderator

@cfrehse said:

Age of Ultron- Alternate Universe- AU

That's probably going to end like Age of X. It's a parallel universe within a universe.

That's my guess.