Marvel Signs on Two Writers for Upcoming Captain Marvel Film

• 67 results
Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

good choices, gives an idea of where they might be going in terms of tone. so they have two years to write and rewrite and get it right before they start filming.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By MrMazz

@dernman: that is exactly why beause the script is in too many hands and everyone thinks they've got a better idea than the other person. Though there are legitimate production and generic expectations to be had, all this committee feature film writing is kind of lame. Though worth noting that Perlman is only listed as co-writer of Guardians because she wrote the first draft for Marvel (that got them to look at the property) and Gunn did a page 1 rewrite but due to chain of creation and excellent WGA rules Perlman is listed as such. It's the same reason why Goyer's name is still attached ot BvS despite getting booted/leaving and Terrio doing essenitally page 1 rewrite.

If you want a particuarly thorny/crazy writing experince look into the production of Punisher: War Zone great aesthetic movie but the fact the writing of that film was so tortured makes sooo much sense.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@hexthis said:

@feartheliving said:

Both these writers have ties to Disney/Marvel. So how is this a PR stunt? As for BW not getting her own movie probably the same reason Hawkeye won't, they just aren't as popular (and this is coming from a major Hawkeye fan). So they feel a strong superpowered heroine is a better bet to get the ball rolling.

Marvel has plenty of strong female characters. Gamora, Black Widow, Melinda May, Sharon Carter, Mockingbird, Skye/Daisy Johnson, Sif, and Peggy Carter. Then we got Scarlet Witch, Jessica Jones, Hellcat, Captain Marvel, probably Medusa, Clea, and Wasp. Would I turn down more? No but you also have to remember a lot of their more prominent female heroes are at other studios as well. (Rogue, Storm, Jean Gray, Invisible Woman, X-23, Psylocke, Domino, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Spider-Woman) The latter 3 possibly being able to be used in the MCU now.

All that being said I think they're doing fairly well female wise. Not many major characters that they can use aren't being used.

When Scarlett Johansson was in "Lucy", it made 480 million dollars and it cost only 40 million to make. Scarlett Johansson is popular on her own, what if she had the backing of the Marvel name and Disney with ties to the other movies? It would've easily amounted to the same as many of the solo movies AND it already has appeal to people who won't see the movie because of Scarlett in particular but who are fond of Black Widow from the Avengers movie.

Not to bash Ant-Man but there's much more guaranteed viability in the Black Widow. Frankly, has Ant-Man stood on his own as often as the Black Widow has in comics? Black Widow has had several successful runs and she's actually in more media than Ant-Man across the board, now she's in the cartoons and has merchandise.

Marvel does have a lot of strong female characters but I don't put a whole lot of faith in studios making them as prominent as male characters. They'll use them but not to the extent they'll use male characters. It's a lack of consideration that reaches very far- Jennifer Lawrence was given less of the back end of "American Hustle" than Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner. Jennifer Lawrence- Oscar-winner, heading two franchises simultaneously, mega superstar. If we're judging by money grossed in films, she kicks Cooper and Renner's ass hard.

It's not always an outwardly aggressive diss, sometimes people just evidence a lack of consideration that is actually harmful.

Just because an actress has done well in the past, doesn't mean they'll do well with a comic character solo film if the character isn't that interesting on screen. Look what happened with Elektra. Jennifer Gardner was doing well with Alias and other movies, but Elekra just didn't do well, and I think the same would go for a solo Black Widow movie. In the comics the character is great, but on film, she's rather flat (so far).

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well while Im glad that she gets her solo movie which establishes her as Marvels leading lady, I also do understand that she has to get a new costume (cause I dont think either of her old ones work in live action). What I completely hate though is the Captain title, Its extremely generic and just feels wrong and forced.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder who they will cast to play Carol.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Looking forward to this.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

This news sounds marvelous.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By HexThis

Just because an actress has done well in the past, doesn't mean they'll do well with a comic character solo film if the character isn't that interesting on screen. Look what happened with Elektra. Jennifer Gardner was doing well with Alias and other movies, but Elekra just didn't do well, and I think the same would go for a solo Black Widow movie. In the comics the character is great, but on film, she's rather flat (so far).

Well firstly, they weren't faithful to Elektra's backstory in the slightest and, secondly, the lead-in to the Elektra movie was Daredevil which was critically-panned.

It's a similar thing with Black Widow, they have a level of restraint when it comes to developing her character that ends up causing them to shoot themselves in the foot then everyone, for some reason, blames Black Widow. If you read her comics, she's similar to the Punisher in that she employs the use of firearms and isn't entirely against killing enemies. She also has been largely downgraded in abilities, in Winter Soldier she's barely formidable against Bucky when, in comic canon, she's much more evenly matched against him. They also made her in her mid-20's when, in comic canon, she's nearly as old as Cap as a result of a serum similar to the supersoldier serum. So it's the revisions they insist on imposing that halt Black Widow, not the character herself. Meanwhile, qualities that significant certainly aren't overlooked in her male peers- Hulk is still tormented with outrageous strength, Cap is still old and modified for combat, Stark's suit can still do basically anything, Thor is still A GOD. It's absurd.

No Caption Provided

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never been interested in her.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any reason why they went with Captain Marvel instead of Miss Marvel? I think she has been Miss Marvel for much longer right?

Just curious.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So one of the writers is a writer for Pixar? And they say the MCU is for adults. lol

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ugh, seems I may be picking a better time to leave then I thought

Cap, you know I love you and all, but you kinda are acting a bit...you know...bitchy....

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fuzzylittlerodent: 1. I'm sorry, but I'm not even sure I know you

2. Not really, why should I keep reading comics if I'm losing the one thing I love and it makes me feel absolutely miserable?

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: you are following me and yet you don't remember me? Oh, monsieur, you make me feel so irrelevant :'(

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fuzzylittlerodent: Yeah, but I don't think we've ever really talked... but I may be able to fix that...

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I wonder what would've happened if billy batson was only always referred to as captain marvel and not shazam at all

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so bloody excited about this. I hope they focus on her military history.