Marvel's Netflix Shows Will Film in New York City

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Marvel Announced that all of its principal filming, starting in summer 2014, for its upcoming Netflix shows will take place in New York City. Back in November, Marvel stated that they would be developing four serialized shows for Netflix totaling 52 one-hour episodes culminating in a eight episode mini-series event. Bascially, Netflix is going to blow up with Marvel television shows featuring Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage, the street level heroes in Hell's Kitchen. It will end up with them teaming up as The Defenders, much like how the Marvel solo-movies teamed up for the Avengers.

No Caption Provided

Here's the official press release for this announcement:

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel and Netflix Inc. today announced that Marvel's landmark live-action television series, which will bring Marvel's "flawed heroes of Hell's Kitchen" characters to Netflix, the world's leading Internet TV network, will principally film in New York State. Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking series is Marvel's most ambitious foray yet into live-action television storytelling and represents the largest film or television production project commitment in New York State history.

Filming is set to begin in the Summer 2014 and will create at least three thousand jobs in New York State including up to 400 full time jobs. The project will include nearly 60 one-hour episodes focused on the 4 Defenders characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

No Caption Provided

"New York is where the entertainment industry started, and this unprecedented commitment from Disney and Marvel is further evidence that we're bringing it back bigger and better than ever before," said Governor Cuomo. "And when the entertainment industry thrives, it fuels dozens of other industries and businesses. The competition for these projects is fierce and Disney could have chosen to film these shows anywhere, but they knew that shooting in New York means getting to work with the best in world. These shows bring New York's super heroes home where they belong--along with hundreds of jobs and millions of dollars in new business."

"Since 2008 Disney has directly contributed almost half a billion dollars to New York's economy through television and film production, along with approximately 9,000 jobs for New Yorkers," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. "The Governor's policies make this great state a more affordable and attractive location, opening the door for even greater economic investment and job creation for New Yorkers. Our Marvel series for Netflix will inject millions directly into the local economy and create hundreds of new jobs."

"We thank the Governor and the great state of New York for helping us create the ultimate backdrop to this epic series. Setting our production in New York City truly underscores the authenticity and excitement we plan to bring to The Defenders and their 'flawed heroes of Hell's Kitchen' stories," said Alan Fine, President, Marvel Entertainment.

Last November, Disney and Netflix announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs totaling 52 one-hour episodes culminating in a four to eight episode mini-series programming event. Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking viewers deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a mini-series event in which the Marvel characters from the first four series team up as "The Defenders," much like "The Avengers."

This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm.

No Caption Provided

"The Defenders are classic New York characters; smart, resourceful and tough enough to always stand up for what's right," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix Chief Content Officer. "We're delighted they're coming to life on their home turf thanks to Governor Cuomo and his team."

When Governor Cuomo took office in 2011, he made the attraction of the film and television production and post production industries, and jobs and the economic impact they bring with them, a key part of his overall strategy to grow New York State's economy. Since that time, he has signed into law several important changes to both programs to make New York more competitive in this global marketplace, and the results have been significant. Both programs enjoyed record-breaking years in 2013, bringing billions of dollars in new spending and thousands of jobs into the Empire State. The stability provided by multiyear funding has particularly encouraged the development of television series production work, like the new Marvel series, as well as long term investments in infrastructure, all of which creates thousands of jobs directly and indirectly related to the actual productions themselves.

During calendar year 2013, applications for 183 film productions were submitted that included 124 films, 33 television programs and 26 pilots. These projects will:

-Generate a direct spend of $2.11 billion in NYS;

-Collect a projected $477 million in credits; and

-Hire an estimated 128,165 actors and crew for the 183 projects submitted.

John Ford, President, International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 52 said, "The men and women of the IATSE look forward to participating in this groundbreaking endeavor. Thanks to the vision of Governor Cuomo and the Legislature, the long term funding of the production incentives gives employers the comfort they need to invest in these new avenues of entertainment, which will provide thousands of new jobs with good wages and benefits."

Thomas J. O'Donnell, President Teamsters Local 817 said, "Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 is thrilled that Marvel's newest television series will be filmed in New York. This long-term commitment is an incredible accomplishment that will bring not just jobs, but also stability to our members work and family lives."

What do you guys think about the announcement? What are you most excited for?

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

Luke Cage is full of Lemon filing

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I can't wait. Daredevil's my main man but honestly I am excited for all 4 series. I'm a casual fan of Iron Fist and Luke Cage, and I'm not familiar with Jess Jones beyond the basics but I'm just happy we're getting a series focusing on a strong female lead.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I like it. It's a good idea.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

good idea

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Filming in NY is expensive. This is a good sign the show is going to be of a certain quality. Glad to hear some progress is being made.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Cloakx14

Sweet Christmas !

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds cool... but so did Agents of SHIELD and we all know how that went...

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please to god let them pick the right cast and let it be good!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I should hope so! None of this stupid San Fran crap that Waid is up to.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By PunyParker
kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I thought Marvel was moving all of their characters to California? :-P

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@longbowhunter said:

Filming in NY is expensive. This is a good sign the show is going to be of a certain quality. Glad to hear some progress is being made.

just cause something has a big budget, doesn't mean it's going to be good quality.

the opposite is also true :p

the best 5 movies of 2013 (imo) were made for a total of less than 40m. lol

Jaythomas64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jaythomas64

I feel like it being a Netflix series it has the potential to darker tone than the Marvel Movies and Agents of Shield that have been released to date. If you seen other Netflix original series you'll get what I mean, with them being able to what they really want to do and stay true to the characters.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crackdown

and, just to make sure, it will be set in the marvel cinematic universe?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

and, just to make sure, it will be set in the marvel cinematic universe?

Yes.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still reading End of Days I CANT FREAKIN WAIT!! oh and Mapone...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about time DD gets some face time! I'm really happy but if I see an ounce of anything in the current series in this show i'm gonna puke. Hopefully they use Miller and Bendis's run.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about time DD gets some face time! I'm really happy but if I see an ounce of anything in the current series in this show i'm gonna puke. Hopefully they use Miller and Bendis's run.

I'm more concerned on who the hell is gonna play Matt.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still reading End of Days I CANT FREAKIN WAIT!! oh and Mapone...

Have you read Bendis's run,like i told you?!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

As long as they look the part and can fight and act i'll be ok lol. I hope they do the costume right too

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tyrus

They're going to make Daredevil PERFECT. If there's one thing Marvel Studios is good at, it's fixing old properties that were previously in the wrong hands.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker said:

@daredevil21134 said:

As long as they look the part and can fight and act i'll be ok lol. I hope they do the costume right too

Affleck looked the part,could fight and the costume was totally cool.............. (this is me scraching wounds!!)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I thought Affleck looked stiff in the costume especially when he was jumping around and his fighting was ok,he looked a little slow at times,I thought the costume was alright but not what it should be . I don't blame Affleck for the movies flaws though, I blame Mark Stephen Johnson

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: I thought Affleck looked stiff in the costume especially when he was jumping around and his fighting was ok,he looked a little slow at times,I thought the costume was alright but not what it should be . I don't blame Affleck for the movies flaws though, I blame Mark Stephen Johnson

Of cource.....Affleck had read Miller's stuff BEFORE even knowing he is taking the part......he played Matt well,i had no problem with him,and i still don't ,now that he's Bats.

And the movie missed out on the "Great comicbook movies" era......so it looked kinda worse than others.....i liked the iconic "DD on the church-cross" shots,though.....made me giggity.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is this coming out again?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Of cource.....Affleck had read Miller's stuff BEFORE even knowing he is taking the part......he played Matt well,i had no problem with him,and i still don't ,now that he's Bats.

And the movie missed out on the "Great comicbook movies" era......so it looked kinda worse than others.....i liked the iconic "DD on the church-cross" shots,though.....made me giggity.Yeah that was awsome!

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ccraft

So far I'm not excited for this, I need more....

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

I need more....

Here's a cute bunny.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wonder how long after these getting released before a Luke Cage and Jessica Jones solo...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No Thunderbolts still <sigh>

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By longbowhunter

@fallschirmjager: You're trying to convert the converted pal.

Anyway, I'm not speaking about the quality of storytelling or acting. I'm talking about the look of the show being of a certain quality. I think it's safe to say a story that takes place in NY, shot in NY, is going to look a lot better than if it was shot on a studio backlot in Burbank.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Cloakx14

i hope the cast is great & the storyline good. i think they should make the luke cage show similar to Banshee.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish hulk is included as part of the television series coming along with daredevil and the rest. if they wanna make hulk series they can make like maybe 10 episodes. because i know marvel/Disney wont make more episodes because its expensive. what do you think friends?

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyped for Iron fist.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the Defenders going to be a whole separate thing from this BTW?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot: Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones will all have their own shows then team up in Defenders.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goobot: Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones will all have their own shows then team up in Defenders.

So i would assume it would air after those are finished rather than along side, correct? Or are none of them airing along side one another?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FearTheLiving

@goobot: Not sure yet. I'm pretty sure they only released that Daredevil is coming 2015 followed by the others not sure the time gap between them, but they then will lead to Defenders.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By goobot
Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@longbowhunter said:

@fallschirmjager: You're trying to convert the converted pal.

Anyway, I'm not speaking about the quality of storytelling or acting. I'm talking about the look of the show being of a certain quality. I think it's safe to say a story that takes place in NY, shot in NY, is going to look a lot better than if it was shot on a studio backlot in Burbank.

I guess. Though I hear shooting in Detroit is a really good place, because you can blow up buildings for cheap...

<_< >_>

I'd be worrying that if they don't get enough viewers though they will cancel due to costs.

Avatar image for thehonorablewarrior1982
TheHonorableWarrior1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As I said before I like this idea. They should do this for more street level Marvel heroes instead of just throwing them onto the silver screen so fast. Can't wait Luke and Danny,Matt and Jessica. But I also hope this just the first wave hopefully if everything goes well get more like Misty Knight and Colleen Wing,Cloak and Dagger, the Punisher, etc