#1 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5155 posts) - - Show Bio

recently I've come across a couple of instances where marvel characters have directly referenced DC characters or events. They're kinda funny. The first one is funny, after defeating the Brood that were gestating in Kitty Pryde, Tony Stark realizes her phasing ability can short circuit his armor.

The second one is Deadpool failing to make a simple jump from one building to another.

The third is Mystique referencing the infamous "Girlfriend in the Fridge" incident from Green Lantern.

I think it's hilarious that Marvel can poke fun and admit DC exists in a roundabout way and cool the writers snuck those references in.

#2 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

They're referenced DC plenty of times and DC has reverenced them plenty of times.
Heck they've had plenty of crossovers after all.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

They call Daedevil "red Batman" in recent books

#4 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5155 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: I haven't seen any instances if DC characters referencing Marvel outside of crossovers which really shouldn't count because they're crossovers after all.

#5 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5155 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: A character that is basically Deadpool appears as an alternate Deathstroke in a Superman/Batman comic IIRC.

Also Doctor 13 references another universe that "reinvents itself every year so that nothing is the ever the same."

#7 Edited by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

i remember in the old amazing spider-man spider-man would refer to batman and superman as comics in comic, i forget the context. i think he was saying something crazy like the situation at hand could only happen in a superman comic. then another one where he was sneaking up on someone and he was like "im batman" im sorry i cant do the voice lol

#8 Posted by MaccyD (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the clear 4th wallness of Deadpool's reference. (Well duh! It is Deadpool! :P)

Pity the Iron man one wasn't as subtle as the other two.

#9 Posted by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's disguise as Sirgurd from Simonson's run is just a pair of glasses and then he knocks over Clark Kent as he comes through a door. Clark was with Lois in the scene.

In a newer issue of Thor (I think) he is flying across the sky and the location was Littletown, Kansas and it was clearly Clark and Pa Kent looking up as he soars past.

#10 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Doing it for years nothing new.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (23056 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: A character that is basically Deadpool appears as an alternate Deathstroke in a Superman/Batman comic IIRC.

Also Doctor 13 references another universe that "reinvents itself every year so that nothing is the ever the same."

The difference is though, DC does it more subtly than Marvel. They'll make a character that parodies a Marvel Hero, but Marvel will just up and drop DC characters names. I think a huge chunk of it has to do with DC existing as a comic company in the Marvel universe too.

To me it's like DC and Marvel are brothers. DC is the well adjusted brother that went to college and became a doctor, and Marvel is the little brother that is a rebel, owns a Harley and constantly pokes fun at his older brother.

#12 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5155 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: Don't know anything about the Doctor 13 but I do have the Superman/Batman book you're talking about. I know the inside jokes and subtle inferences

( Thor wearing the Clark Kent glasses and the Kents being in a scene. Buried Alien/Barry Allen, Deadpool kills Aquaman etc), I'm referring to direct mentions of other characters.

#14 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: Hmm, I can't think of a time when they did directly mention Marvel characters. But surely it must have happened at some point....

#15 Posted by CharlieJade (422 posts) - - Show Bio

.http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/eastereggs8-7-2.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/kingdomcome3.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2kingdomcome2.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/marvelpremiere50popeye.jpg

http://longboxgraveyard.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/tumblr_ll3lfgfelk1qzm6hao1_500.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/56434/1590110-8_1.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/56434/1590114-forbush_man_back_and_kick_ass_by_scythewielder13_d2yr6qa.jpg

#16 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Deadpool counts

#17 Edited by impossibilly (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget the Superior Spider-Man Spider-Signal bit from a few months ago that got a bunch of Batman fans' panties in a bunch here on these message boards.

#18 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Real recognize real.

#19 Edited by warlock360 (28040 posts) - - Show Bio

DC comic

#20 Edited by Lvenger (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Posted by Saren (25277 posts) - - Show Bio

Both companies have been doing this for years......

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: Kyle Rayner referenced the Hulk once I believe. Also Ragman referenced Hellboy.

#23 Posted by Akindoodle (975 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

The difference is though, DC does it more subtly than Marvel. They'll make a character that parodies a Marvel Hero, but Marvel will just up and drop DC characters names. I think a huge chunk of it has to do with DC existing as a comic company in the Marvel universe too.

To me it's like DC and Marvel are brothers. DC is the well adjusted brother that went to college and became a doctor, and Marvel is the little brother that is a rebel, owns a Harley and constantly pokes fun at his older brother.

That's the coolest analogy of them I've ever seen. I'd also like to add that rebellious little Marvel becomes a millionaire while DC's practice burns to the ground (>_> cinematic universe)

#24 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont like it. it's cheap. write better stuff.

#25 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Marvel and DC have been doing this for a long time.

#26 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Both Marvel and DC have been doing this for a long time.

this.

#27 Posted by tupiaz (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

Say what?

@the_stegman said:

@decoy_elite said:

That's the coolest analogy of them I've ever seen. I'd also like to add that rebellious little Marvel becomes a millionaire while DC's practice burns to the ground (>_> cinematic universe)

And if you go 10-15 years back it would have been DC kicking Marvels butts as they had the last 20-30 years. Poor analogy since Marvel is a much corporative as DC. Image seem to be more edgy and rebellious and was it in is founding. The culture around the company is creating so. The most rebellious comic I have seen is Croosed by Ennis and released at Avatar. Crossed would have been released at Marvel at least not at the current state.

#28 Edited by Strider92 (16107 posts) - - Show Bio