#1 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

I know the the New 52 has been going for over a year now, but it's established. Marvel Now didn't re-start anything, but it seems like most of the writers switched ships. It's already, for a lot of titlesm 6 issues in. It seems like almost every book is pretty fresh right now. The question I have, and this is for readers of both universes Marvel and DC. Readers who waist waaaay to much money ever week on these book. If you do read both companies then I bet its safe to say that your comic book spending has doubled or come close to it over the past 2 years. The new writers on the New 52 titles that you just had to check out, and with Marvel, following your favorite writers to their new titles, but staying on the old titles because you love the characters you've been reading for so long and want to see how they are handled. Bendis going from a decade of Avengers to the X-Men, and also with Hickman coming from FF is just an example.

#2 Posted by Teerack (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see how you can compare them. Marvel relaunches all its titles ever two years anyway. All they did was add a NOW in their logo so people would buy their books thinking it works the same as the new 52, but in actuality they didn't change anything.

#3 Posted by New_World_Order (13283 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel>DC.

#4 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22197 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6249 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

The best part about Marvel NOW is it wasn't a retcon. Retconning the entire DCU was a stupid idea. It worked for certain characters and teams but for others it was completely worthless. Alot of pointless changes were made in DC. All the New 52 really did was ditch their mainstream stuff for their more obscure books that were either struggling before or that came new with the retcon.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (25016 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@thundergodswrath said:

DC >Marvel.

fixed

This.

Yup.

I'm a DC guy, one of my friends is a Marvel guy, so every two weeks or so, we gather up our respective comics, and swap, that way he can read DC and I can read Marvel, and we both save money. Though for years I have been trying to sway him to the DC side of things and he tries to get me to go Marvel..neither of us have been successful.

#8 Posted by Fenderxx (437 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman>Marvel>DC

#9 Edited by Immortal777 (7671 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about either really just want to read good stories.

Superman >>>>>>>>Marvel whole company

Batman>>>>>>>>>>Marvel whole company

DC>Darkhorse=Topcow=Image=Manga/Manwha>Marvel

#10 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all about the stories and both have great stories, but for me, it's DC and it's not remotely close at all.

#11 Edited by Teerack (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when DC came out with the New 52 and X-Men Regenesis was out selling it as a whole lol. Doesn't really mean anything but it's a bit funny. I've always liked Marvel's characters and their way of mixing the real world with their universe so flawlessly, so I guess I'm just bias. Other then the younger cast I'm not really a big fan of a lot of DC heroes, so considering how the younger cast of heroes was brushed off and neglected for the most part in the new 52 I'm going with Marvel Now. Also DC just loses point for me because this is like 4th...5th? time they needed to retcon their whole universe?

#12 Posted by New_World_Order (13283 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@thundergodswrath said:

DC >Marvel.

fixed

This.

Yup.

I'm a DC guy, one of my friends is a Marvel guy, so every two weeks or so, we gather up our respective comics, and swap, that way he can read DC and I can read Marvel, and we both save money. Though for years I have been trying to sway him to the DC side of things and he tries to get me to go Marvel..neither of us have been successful.

That's actually a good idea, but Marvel is still better. :P

#13 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Marvel's characters more, but I like DC's distribution process more, but but I like the way Marvel's editors seem to be handling things over there.

#14 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care as long as I get some awesome stories involving the characters I love.

#15 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: you really like DC's distribution better then Marvel?? Marvel has a lot of titles that push out more the 12 issues a year. Right now Bendis has 2 x titles that are shipping of 2 weeks. So does Amazing Spider-man and the Avengers. Remender has plans to work with Uncanny X-Force and treat Uncanny Avengers the same way and try to get 18 issues a year out on his run.

#16 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5530 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel>DC by a hair. The New52 has just as many misses ( Team 7,Ravagers, JLI etc) as hits. It also made me read characters I wouldn't have given a second thought to ( Talon, Katana, Aquaman among others) and made me a fan if those books. The Marvel stories in New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers etc. are epic in scope and scale with the exception of AoU , I haven't been dissappointed so far.

#17 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1455 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Me and my friend does something like that, but only I buy the Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and occasionally Superman (sometimes I drop a new book for a back issue). He buys the Aquaman, Nightwing, JLA, and any book that any book that looks good from DC to try.

#18 Posted by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now has more quality titles.

But I never really understood company favouritism, I know one guy who refuses to read anything DC because he is a Marvel fan. From observations here I see some people heavily favour one over the other. Why? What's the reasoning? It's silly to not read a book because of which company published it.

#19 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: I think its the third. I like the reboots, they give more chances for a different take on the character and different stories. As long as its well spaced out. The new 52 was not well spaced out. It should at least last 10 years before a reboot.

#20 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

The new 52, its great for new readers and more interesting. I would want them to change back though sometime. I can't get into Marvel there characters are really boring to me, except Thor he's awesome and Dr. Doom and Black Panther. DC just has better stories in my opinion.

#21 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

DC

#22 Edited by Akindoodle (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Marvel NOW wasn't really a reboot. It was more of a re-branding but as a DC fan, even I will say that the execution was far superior to N52. At least Marvel looks like they've planned ahead for the next little while. The N52 may be new reader friendly but they really peeved a lot of their old fan base and for the first few months didn't even have a cohesive universe. They've improved with time but DC editorial has been shaky recently and a lot of titles have been hit or miss. Marvel NOW has been generally positive with a few bads here and there

#23 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@jamdamage: That's exactly why I prefer DC's distribution. I'd rather read more titles than read certain titles more often.

#24 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

both introduced new costumes across the board, especially for their female characters, and i gotta say every single one of them sucks, other that cap's and iron mans i have yet to see a New 52 or Now costumes that i enjoy...

#25 Edited by The Stegman (25016 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

I remember when DC came out with the New 52 and X-Men Regenesis was out selling it as a whole lol. Doesn't really mean anything but it's a bit funny. I've always liked Marvel's characters and their way of mixing the real world with their universe so flawlessly, so I guess I'm just bias. Other then the younger cast I'm not really a big fan of a lot of DC heroes, so considering how the younger cast of heroes was brushed off and neglected for the most part in the new 52 I'm going with Marvel Now. Also DC just loses point for me because this is like 4th...5th? time they needed to retcon their whole universe?

It's only their second major reboot, the first being COIE, the other events were more like small scale retcons.

#26 Posted by Teerack (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: My point was really more that nothing seems permanent or concrete in DC because they don't have a problem with Rewriting their character's history. Marvel on the other hand when they "retcon" stuff they usually have a story explaining why it's changed in some weird way at least, so at least everything that's changed still happened in the past. DC just white's out what they don't need and tries again.

#27 Posted by The Stegman (25016 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@the_stegman: My point was really more that nothing seems permanent or concrete in DC because they don't have a problem with Rewriting their character's history. Marvel on the other hand when they "retcon" stuff they usually have a story explaining why it's changed in some weird way at least, so at least everything that's changed still happened in the past. DC just white's out what they don't need and tries again.

I can agree with that.

#28 Edited by sinestro_GL (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

Apples and oranges.

#29 Edited by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52.

Marvel NOW! has only three/four titles I like? Young Avengers, Uncanny X-Men/All-New X-Men (pretty much the same) and Avengers Arena.

#30 Edited by Strider92 (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

Prefer Marvel's characters but prefer DC's storylines.

#31 Edited by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL,love how anything comparing something between DC and Marvel becomes war between fans....

i prefer the new 52 simply because it helped me easily get into comics and not have ton of back issues to get or be confused.....right now i can say that i have the same knowledge of DC characters as a veteran DC fan....though this same reason might turn some old readers away from DC.

Marvel Now still confuses me as i dont have a freaking clue who a lot of the characters are....i really have to struggle to understand who the people in the avengers title are and superior spiderman being Doc ock and so many other things that confuse me so much..Hell the only marvel comic that i enjoy is the one i recently started "hawkeye" comic which is funny and easygoing....

#32 Posted by Bogey (948 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW 52 FTW

#33 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm enjoying New 52 just a tad bit more than Marvel Now.

#34 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is putting out a handful of good comics as of now. Marvel with their now business is putting out more quality books, and books that won't come out just to be thrown away 7 months later like (sadly) Sword of Sorcery and Ravagers and whatever.

So Marvel NOW!

#35 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the New 52 better than Marvel NOW. I like more Marvel titles than DC ones, but the ones that the writers switched on are suffering. I don't think Matt Fraction is doing as great as Hickman on Fantastic Four or FF, and I really don't think Remender is doing well on Captain America. Sam Humphries is ok on Uncanny X-Force, and I think Avengers and New Avengers are good with Hickman, but I don't think swapping books added much to the Marvel titles. If anything, maybe some of the writers that should have been swapped weren't (Mark Waid, Dan Slott).

Remember, just my opinion.

#36 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

Apples and oranges.

Yep. If you prefer one or the other, you can cherry-pick a good "Now" title, or good "52" title, compare it to a bad one from the other lot, and say "See, Marvel/DC did it better." But I don't think either is "superior concept" to the other. I like the New 52 better, but that's not a fair comaprison. I read about 3x as many DC titles as I do Marvel. (10 to 3). As with most of these threads, the replies tend to be more about personal bias.

#37 Edited by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm enjoying the New 52 slightly more than Marvel NOW!

#38 Posted by blazinasian112 (901 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

Prefer Marvel's characters but prefer DC's storylines.

This

#40 Posted by The Stegman (25016 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52.

Marvel NOW! has only three/four titles I like? Young Avengers, Uncanny X-Men/All-New X-Men (pretty much the same) and Avengers Arena.

I feel the same way, I'm enjoying All New X-Men, New Avengers and...really that's about it, while I can easily name a dozen New 52 titles I love.

@skyfire said:

Marvel Now has more quality titles.

But I never really understood company favouritism, I know one guy who refuses to read anything DC because he is a Marvel fan. From observations here I see some people heavily favour one over the other. Why? What's the reasoning? It's silly to not read a book because of which company published it.

It's human natural really. We're competitive that's why sports are so entertaining to some, people like to choose a team or a side and stick with it, thus, the rival of that side becomes there rival.

#41 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has better characters, DC has better stories.

#42 Posted by New_World_Order (13283 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really compare Marvel Now to the DC New 52 Universe. However if I was to pick one I would choose Marvel Now! Both are inconsistent in quality. Marvel has always been my favorite.