Marvel NOW One Year Later.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

So basically this thread is to talk about your current options after about a year of Marvel NOW.

New Favorite Character

No Caption Provided

I'm not really sure when I realized it, but I really like the Human Touch. I think instinctively I was always drawn to funny heroes(Spider-Man, Nova, Speedball, Iceman, etc.) and it could just be the fact that Nova(Richard Rider), Speedball, and Spider-Man(Peter Parker) are all absent from Marvel NOW, but Johnny has just been seeming really cool to me recently. I do wish he had more serious moments though. I can't even tell you how much I would love to see Johnny take a break from the FF and try being a solo hero for a while; I'd buy the pants off that book. The current Fantastic Four has me thinking that there might be some cool new evolution to all the Fantastic Four members, so I'm hoping that happens considering Johnny is already powerful enough to turn the whole world to ash in a few seconds.

My Spidey-Sense isn't working!

No Caption Provided

At first I hated Superior and thought the book was dumb way to end a characters story, but as it's gone on moved past issue 10 where the book was more or less about building resentment for Otto by dumping on Peter. I have to say the book has become the only book I don't allow myself to fall behind in. I mean comic story do usually have twist and stuff, but this is really different... it's not just that I can't see what's coming it's that I can't even make a prediction. I've tried theory-crafting about what's going on in SSM on here even, but pretty much every time I wind up being totally completely off base. I kind of love it, because I want to be able to think about what will happen, then just be shocked when I see what DID happen. That all being said... it looks like the book is coming to an end in around 3 more months and I'm anxious to see it's conclusion.

Too much of a good thing

No Caption Provided

I originally welcomed the idea of Marvel Comics making earth much more relevant in the cosmic scheme of things, but I have to say Marvel seems to being really over doing all of their interest right now. Now when Marvel NOW started it took about 9 issues for around 80% of all their books to get to a point where they started having plots that involved space, and it took about the same amount of time for about half of their books to introduce some kind of time travel plot point. I don't mind space or time travel.... but seriously stop with the time travel... it's becoming really annoying at this point, and I am crossing my fingers the original X-Men don't stick around for longer than another year, and PLEASE don't let the original Avengers stay to... if I liked overly complex messy continues I'd read more DC then I did Marvel... and considering how it worked out in DC it's really starting to worry me that Marvel is going to reset their universe soon after breaking time in AoU. Which is now turning out to be destroying the multiverse(stuff going on in New Avengers).

Out with the Old, In with the Old.

No Caption Provided

Now I feel like half of the Marvel team is working hard to be new and surprising... but I also feel like half the team is just trying to recreate the glory days. So far we have seen the retelling of Iron Man's origin, yet ANOTHER take on Deadpool's origin, the x-men from the 60's soon the Avengers from the 60's, and maybe I'm imagining it but it feels like a lot of characters/relationships are shifting back to their old status quo. Over all I like what they are doing, but I think once it's pointed out that they're trying to turn the clock back on a lot of stuff it seems kinda obvious when it happens.

Marvel BEST

Just to list off a couple of my personal highlight of the year. In no particular order. Possible Spoilers

• The Spider-Man of tomorrow here to save today!(2099)
  • 80's Deadpool
  • Scott Summers tells off Captain America on live TV
  • The entire first arch of Captain America
  • Iceman being able to beat Thor, The Avengers, and The X-Men like they were nothing while multitasking all over the world.
  • Hank Pym's detective issue of Avengers Arena
  • Maria Hill replaces Quake as Director of Shield
  • Captain America takes command of the galactic alliance
  • The Galactic Council
  • The Skrull empire is reborn and Kl'rt becomes the new emperor
  • Rhonin the Accuser hits the Supreme Intelligence
  • Thor kills a builder
  • The Battle of The Corridor
  • Inhumans aren't Irrelevant

Marvel WORST

Some of my least favorite moments of the year. In no particular order. Possible Spoilers

• Red She-Hulk is canceled
  • Everything that happened to the characters in Avengers Arena
  • Sharon Carter being killed
  • Captain America aging 10 years
  • Captain Marvel's memories getting messed up
Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When Marvel NOW started I picked up @4-5 books and now I'm down to one which I'm not even sure is a NOW title or not; Savage Wolverine. Not digging Marvel at all. The only new book I'm looking forward to is The Punisher.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Things I like:

Thor: God of Thunder

Infinity

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers

Increased cosmic focus

Inhumans relevance increased

Things I dislike:

The gratuitous amounts of drama among the X-Men

Wolverine getting neutered by Paul Cornell

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Marvel Now was not kind to the X-Men.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I liked the Dimension Z storyline in Captain America, but since that storyline ended the series has yet to impress me personally.

Avengers has been a hit-or-miss for me. I like that Hickman is trying to make the Avengers a bigger force in the Marvel U, but have felt that his storylines (Infinity for example) have left me more confused than before. I'm hoping that at some point everything will come together and make more sense, but currently I'm left wanting more from his writing.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GrenadeFlow

Marvel Now

I love Hickman's take on the Avengers/ NewAvengers

616 Monica Chang

They gave Morbius a chance which was a cool book IMO

Infinity

Age of Ultron (Mostly for what spun off the event)

Superior Spider-Man

Dislike

Uncanny Avengers - the books feels so forced

The Punisher on a team

The Thunderbolts art

The new Nova kid

Scarlet Spider and Venom getting canceled

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

All New X men is pretty cool, I haven't read battle of atom or anything after it though

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

I have loved all of Hickman's avengers and Infinity.

The Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its sh!t

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By G_leno

Nova

Love for Deadpool

Iron man and Thor's books have just been great reads

DISLIKES: Wolverine is just bland everywhere

Too many events

Cyclops being so important to the X stories.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved:

New Avengers

Infinity

Avengers

Cable and X Force

Captain Marvel

Deadpool

Indestructible Hulk

Thor

Liked:

Uncanny Avengers

Nova

GotG

Thunderbolts

Wolverine and the XMen

Superior SpiderMan

Dislike:

Current Savage Wolverine arc

Canceling Scarlet Spider

Canceling Captain Marvel (?)

Age of Ultron ( want a refund)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teerack

I also like that a lot of characters that didn't have a place are now finding their homes on new teams.

• Blade is a part of Mighty Avengers
  • Spectrum is part of Mighty Avengers
  • Ghost Rider is part of the Thunderbolts
  • Firestar is part of Amazing X-Men
  • Nick Fury Sr. is part of the Winter Soldier book
  • The current Avengers roster has a lot of faces we haven't seen much of in years
HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Marvel Now was the reason why I got into comics. There are so many great stories that came from this new jumping on point. From All New X-Men to New Avengers and to Infinity. But a lot of new characters were introduced to me this past year that I am excited to get to learn more about like Black Bolt. But I am sad that characters like Kaine and Flash got their series cancelled but that only means new series to follow in the the next wave of Marvel Now .

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@humanrocket said:

Marvel Now was the reason why I got into comics. There are so many great stories that came from this new jumping on point. From All New X-Men to New Avengers and to Infinity. But a lot of new characters were introduced to me this past year that I am excited to get to learn more about like Black Bolt. But I am sad that characters like Kaine and Flash got their series cancelled but that only means new series to follow in the the next wave of Marvel Now .

Well Kaine is going to be part of the New Warriors book that's coming out, and Venom is going to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy. GotG is the best Marvel now title by a mile in my opinion. It's so funny/charming.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm actually MUCH more excited for the upcoming wave than I am for the first one, which was kinda weak imo.