Marvel NOW! compared to the DC New52

powerhouse1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By powerhouse1122

First of all, Marvel is great because it has a way of creating stories that would fit into the modern time while not disturbing the stories of the past issues.Although not all the time but atleast they don't give a universe-wide reboot?(Not that I dislike reboots, especially on good stories). Second, marvel has a unique way of combining reality w fantasy. They provide questions w answers so that people would understand more that there is a science behind all the things that happen in the universe. With the upcoming relaunch called Marvel NOW!, at first, I thought it was a reboot, I felt devastated by it but after knowing that It wasn't I felt like a fog has been lifted. Nobody wants to see Marvel erasing every GREAT stories they've published in the past right? It's always difficult to accept when things happen but actually they don't happen, you'd feel like "oh this is a great book, too bad this doesn't actually happen, what's the point of buying it if It doesn't fit in w what's happening now?" no offense to others who do like reboots but it's just me. Anyway, for me Marvel NOW! is a good thing for Marvel, so that new readers could relate or somehow feel that everything's in order. It's like Marvel is going to finally get a shower after a long day of mud wrestling, but the thing is, after the shower, Marvel is still Marvel, only clothes and style are different but the history doesn't change, it keeps moving forward and doesn't have to get pulled back from the start again unlike DC that most of the characters and stories are not exactly the way that they are now, not that it is bad, some of it is good. Again, It's just me, no offense to others.. I am a Marvel but a DC fan also, DC has great stories but rebooting them just to cope w the future is not my thing, I'm a type of guy that follows history so to move to the future. Dc's new52 is good because characters become fresh, like being created for the first time again but the thing is, they're not created for the first time. DC is great and I'm not saying that the New52 is bad, infact I'ts good, atleast the change I really appreciate is the look and change of personalities, I must say it is VERY COOL. Anyway, for the last time, it's just me and this is my first blog

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JohnnyWalker

im going to wait for the first comics put out by marvel now before i judge.

borges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By borges

Would it be advisable for one to read Avengers vs. X-men before the release of Now? From what I gather, it supposedly serves as a precursor; I haven't read anything Marvel related since House of M and I am terribly lost.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

@borges said:

Would it be advisable for one to read Avengers vs. X-men before the release of Now? From what I gather, it supposedly serves as a precursor; I haven't read anything Marvel related since House of M and I am terribly lost.

You can but I don't think it's necessary to read it to understand.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

To me, Marvel Now sounds like it's being better executed than the DC relaunch. It doesn't look as if they're taking away continuity, they're just launching all new #1s, changing costumes a bit, changing creative teams, and making their books more accessible to new readers.

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By timelord786

I like the new 52 relaunch as it allows characters to be reinvented within the comics.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I'm mostly a DC reader, and I love the New 52 (for the most part, anyway. I'll admit there are plenty of flaws as well). The only Marvel books I read are Scarlet Spider, Winter Soldier and Daredevil, so Marvel NOW! doesn't impact me a whole lot.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

I'm more of a DC reader who picked up 6 of the New 52 books and is still reading 4 of them. I'm only reading 3 Marvels atm and I'll probably just get New Avengers in January. However I must admit Marvel Now! is a far superior method of getting newer readers into comics whilst remaining true to the continuity old fans love. It will keep both new and old readers happy which is something the New 52 has failed to do.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@borges said:

It would be advisable to not read AvX at all. Here, I'll give you cliff notes.

• Phoenix Force is heading to Earth.
  • Cap shows up on Utopia with a helicarrier full of shield agents and Avengers, demands they hand over Hope. Cyclops being out of character just shoots Cap.
  • Ensue very poorly executed fights for 3 issues, Hope runs away. Wolverine ready to kill Hope gets kicked out of a plane and ends up finding Hope and instead of killing her flips sides and decides to get her to the moon.
  • Everyone ends up on the moon. Phoenix Force gets broken up by an Iron Man armor and splits into 5 X-Men, Cyclops, Emma, Namor, Magik and Colossus.
  • X-Men solve the world's problems by giving free unlimited energy, outlawing war etc using new Phoenix Force powers.
  • Avengers still attack them anyway.
  • X-Men decide to hunt down the Avengers and throws them in Limbo, then Cyclops decides to stop even though he said no more Avengers.
  • Phoenix Force begins to corrupt them enhancing certain aspects. Emma and Namor are shown to be corrupted by darker sides. Namor attacks Wakanda due to Emma's manipulation and gets defeated by Scarlet Witch. PF goes Highlander and splits to whoever is left.
  • Magik is shown to be corrupted and Colossus' intelligence reverts to that of a 4 year old. Spider-Man defeats both by trickery and they defeat each other. PF leaves them and goes to Emma and Cyclops.
  • Emma becomes increasingly unstable, asks Cyclops for help, he being the most stable yet still so focused on his goal and due to PF enhancing certain ideas and emotions, leaves Emma to find Hope. Emma goes all full Dark Phoenix and ends up frying a man's brain because he ran over a mutant in an airplane 25 years ago and didn't report it due to him being a mutant. While doing this, Emma interrupts a lovely fish dinner.
  • Scott rips open the portal to K'un Lun and tries to force Hope to come back. Iron Man attacks him (teasers for issue 10)
  • There you go. I just saved you hours worth of headaches, avoidance of character mutilation and 30-40 bucks.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Le_Piaf: Good idea, I shall do that and you should delete your message so I could do it.

Le_Piaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Le_Piaf
    @god_spawn said:

@Le_Piaf: Good idea, I shall do that and you should delete your message so I could do it.

Sure.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

@The_Tree said:

To me, Marvel Now sounds like it's being better executed than the DC relaunch.

That's because it is.

It's a million times better than a reboot.

borges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By borges
    @god_spawn: Thanks! 
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By the_tree

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

That's because it is.

Ah, the things I would do to have the DC relaunch perfected.

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrtrickster

the difference is that DC reboot the entire freaking universe, throwing the entire continuity away, the stories I've been reading for the past 10 freaking years
    just so they can boost some sales
    marvel is just renumbering the issue and making slight changes

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ratman19

Darn it, whenever DC does something first Marvel comes out with something better.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawnbaby

It's too early to compare the two...Give Marvel NOW! a few issues with each title. At that point we'll be able to see if it and New 52 are even comparable.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By tensor

Marvel comics are so boring right now lets hope this works out for them, i have not read an good stories since wwh story arc

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By grenade728

All I know is that if Tim Drake was in the Marvel universe he would still be a Robin after Marvel Now!

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By The_Thunderer

When does 1st issue of marvel now come out?

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monarch2016

@ratman19 said:

Darn it, whenever DC does something first Marvel comes out with something better.

that's why marvel sucks ever since civil war came out

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Lvenger: Words of wisdom. Agree with your point of view, my friend.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Sobe Cin

As a Marval I am slightly annoyed with the whole Marvel Now! Back in July you tell me that so many titles are getting cancelled, but only to turn around and say all those cancelled titles are coming back the very next month. For a relaunch and supposed to only reveal a "new" #1 each week starting in October, they already announced 8 titles. Not cool. Outside of Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Fantastic Four. None of which I read, I could have gone without a relaunch of Deadpool, FF and X-Men Legacy. Deadpool is so much better in Uncanny X-Force, FF in my opinion is going to suffer under Mike Allred's art, but X-Men Legacy shouldn't come back. There are too many X books. It is getting too complicated. But if any thing should have been rebooted it should have been Uncanny X-Men, that is and forever should be the primary book in the X-Men mythos.

As for DC's New 52- I jumped on board to read and discover characters I did not grow up reading. Out of all the titles, I have only kept Aquaman. I think Marvel should have gone down this route. We need a better cleaned up Marvel universe, it is so wild and out of control that I don't know a damn thing that is going on. And I read marvel regularly.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#23  Edited By kartron

@ratman19 said:

I don't know if what you say is true..... yet...... We might have to wait and see.. It is also true that a relaunch will be much easier to do after DC. They can see what DC did wrong, learn from it and incorporate required corrections.. business my friend business!!

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soduh2

I've been reading more Marvel but I'm a DC guy at heart. Been slacking off since my local grocery store stopped selling new issues (around the end of Spider-Island and Fear itself).

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@tensor said:

Marvel comics are so boring right now lets hope this works out for them, i have not read an good stories since wwh story arc

Those words never came to my mind

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

That's because it is.

We agree, you and I

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By karetaker

@god_spawn: how does an iron man armor have the power to split the pf?(i dident read it either)

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@karetaker: He built this cannon that disrupts the Force.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By karetaker

@god_spawn said:

@karetaker: He built this cannon that disrupts the Force.

that seems pretty far fetched. i know this is a lot of questions but how did he manage to build that

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@karetaker: He just did IIRC ( I haven't cared enough to remember everything). The force is an energy, he probably based the design on a way to disrupt to it since they got the readings of it in the beginning off the Nova and voila, you get this cannon to shatter it. Marvel geniuses have plans to deal with cosmic entities and with Tony as super smart as he is I wouldn't say it is that far fetched.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By karetaker

@god_spawn: hmm ok. thank you for the help :P

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eternal19

im not a marvel guy. ill stick with the new 52 to many good books or me to drop to start reading marvel

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Alchemax_7

@The_Thunderer: When does 1st issue of marvel now come out?

Uncanny Avengers: October 3rd and that's apparently the first book coming out of marvel now, though I also heard of a point 1 issue but no release date!