#1 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

It has been said that marvel is dominating dc in the live action movies while they do appear to have the edge are they truly dominating? Yes marvel is producing many more movies than DC and yes marvel has established its universe but lets talk about actual really good movies that marvel has released? To me only iron man,avengers, and yea i enjoyed thor but other than that they haven't been great so its those vs nolans batman. What do you think? is marvel more quantity than quality?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (38938 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanespinosa21

Nope. I think all of Marvel's movies except Iron Man 3 have been high quality. I think Marvel can rebound from their Iron Man 3 failure with Thor this November, which seems to have a lot of potential.

#3 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7599 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanespinosa21

Nope. I think all of Marvel's movies except Iron Man 3 have been high quality. I think Marvel can rebound from their Iron Man 3 failure with Thor this November, which seems to have a lot of potential.

Iron Man 2 wasn't that good.

#5 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6437 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 2 was worse than Iron Man 3.

#6 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7599 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallen_crippled:

Oh, yeah... Forgot about that one. Maybe I was subconsciously trying to strike it from memory.

Kinda like that Liefield Captain America "drawing".

#7 Edited by Squalleon (4178 posts) - - Show Bio

Good :
iron man

thor

avengers

The incredible hulk

Bad:

Iron man 2

Captain America (filler movie just to justify the reason Cap is in the team,bad script,mediocre fights)

Iron man 3 (well average..)

#8 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think though by the previews alone thor: the dark world looks amazing! I still don't get why they are pushing guardians of the galaxy so much though.

#9 Edited by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man has been the best movie so far, and it was the first one of this new wave of theirs. I feel their movies are too young audience oriented and they lack sophistication. There's no replay value. That's my opinion anyway. Plus, trying to push out two a year just to follow these "phase 2" plans seems like they're rushing.

#10 Posted by Night Thrasher (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel movies are good. Even the "bad" ones are gold compared to bad DC movies. Given the choice between Iron Man 2/3 or Green Lantern, who in their right mind would choose Green Lantern? Also Captain America was an awesome movie! Not only did it fill a spot in my fanboy heart but it also was entertaining my feelings for the character notwithstanding.

#11 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman,Superman 2 and the Nolan Batmen are better than all the Marvel movies IMO. The Marvel movies are better than everything else DC has ever put out. These aforementioned movies are iconic and A+ and compared to them , the Marvel movies are solid B+'s.

#12 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh. I find the dark knight trilogy to be vastly overrated. I enjoyed them but they werent that great. I enjoy the marvel films much more, although i havent/ wasn able to see iron mam 3 in theather

#13 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

quantity with a dash of quality. avengers,iron man,thor spiderman etc have all being entertaining films but not great movies.

#14 Posted by cattlebattle (12599 posts) - - Show Bio

With the exception of two or three they are all pretty bland to me. It seems they just make a live action comic instead of actually putting some original, creativity into it. Which I guess some people are happy with. They just crank these movies out for the almighty $$ is what it comes down to

#15 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost all of the Marvel movies are good.

#16 Edited by kgb725 (6052 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought all phase one movies were good the latest iron man wasnt bad just underperformed

#17 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to clarify spider-man doesn't count since marvel doesn't own the rights to him sony does. Same with X-Men. This is just disney owned marvel movies.

#18 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked all of them......

#19 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawkguy said:

Iron Man has been the best movie so far, and it was the first one of this new wave of theirs. I feel their movies are too young audience oriented and they lack sophistication. There's no replay value. That's my opinion anyway. Plus, trying to push out two a year just to follow these "phase 2" plans seems like they're rushing.

I agree with this. They arent trying to appeal to all groups of people. It just seems like all their movies have been loose and family oriented and rely on One-liners(i have no problem with this), but i still think Marvel should try to add more variety.

#20 Posted by The Stegman (23203 posts) - - Show Bio

It's 100% Quantity in my book.

People will say Marvel makes better movies than DC, that's a lie, they just make MORE movies than DC. A huge chunk of them are bad, with a few good ones sprinkled in. (To me, non of the Marvel films beat TDK, Watchmen, or Superman:The Movie in terms of quality)

The only truly good Marvel movies are in my opinion,

-Avengers

-X-Men 2

-Iron Man

-Blade 1 and 2

Mediocre:

-Every Avengers tie in except the first Iron Man

-X-men

-X-Men First Class

-Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2

-Daredevil (I liked it more than most)

Bad/horrible:

-Elektra

-Fantastic Four 1 & 2

-Spider-Man 3

-X Men Origins: Wolverine

-X-Men 3

-Blade Trinity

-Ang Lee's Hulk

#21 Edited by entropy_aegis (14478 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel movies are formulaic,they understand what the fans want and they deliver on that front,that's the key to their success.DC has yet to discover their formula(so far they think it's dark and edgy).The bad thing with formulaic stories(or anything) is that they get old real quick,the first few stories maybe good but after it's mediocrity all over.For phase 2 I hope Marvel change their style,though I doubt it.So far it's becoming increasingly clear that Marvel and DC flicks are attempting to replace Micheal Bay's Transformers,they'll earn money but at the cost of substance.

Marvels best movies are Iron Man and Incredible Hulk,though I personally preferred Cap America,Thor and IM 3(yeah sue me).

#22 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5952 posts) - - Show Bio

Well there's more variety of good Marvel movies, but when DC does have good movies they're way better than the good Marvel's. So quantity.

#23 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

DC would be nowhere without the Dark Knight and possibly Man of Steel.

#24 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

DC would be nowhere without the Dark Knight and possibly Man of Steel.

#25 Posted by KingOfAsh (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of

#26 Edited by russellmania77 (14618 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I love how you said quality except for ir3 but yet that one had the biggest budget lol

I didn't like it either

#27 Edited by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny what people call bad today was great 5-10 years ago. In a sense it is good because that indicates the bar of quality has been raised. But when you look back a movies you to a certain degree need to have in mind the time it was done. Calling B/W and silent movies bad movies because they don't live up to todays standard has little value. I would rather see SM 3 over ASM anyway. I would also rather see Ang Lee's Hulk, X-Men 3, Wolverine. Yes, the ASM script was worse. PP on a skateboard take about killing a character. The only movies I thought when I saw the first was worse than ASM and was comic book related has to be Catwoman, Daredevil and Batman and Robin (in that order). In general the super hero movies a good a lot of them is just popcorn movies. But that is fine it doesn't has to be more.

#28 Edited by hyiena (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

What about the Green Lantern?

#29 Posted by JulieDC (876 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I thought the Dark Knight was good in that it really freaked me out and kind of changed my opinion on what I thought about Batman in live action but honestly, I don't really care much anything DC has done. I don't get the hero vibe with DC's movies. They are too dark and too removed from the comics as if they are ashamed of their origins. There is just something off about them that I can't explain. Also, I don't get the feeling of wanting to rewatch the movies the way I do with Marvel. I think Marvel is winning in both quality and quantity although too many sequels will eventually erode the quality.

#30 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I say since Marvel is basically under DISNY Force, there always going to get more of family friendly movies were there silly jokes, average fight scenes, and the good guy always wins. People don't realize is that the number of minors in society outnumber adults 5-1. Appealing to liitle kids is how Marvel is as successful. But older kids think Marvel's a joke.

#31 Posted by JulieDC (876 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4: I remember an article from one of the comic sites stating that Disney wouldn't let them do the alcoholic story line from the comics because it would be too dark. If the cancellation of Avengers: EMH for a cartoon more similar to the movie is anything to go by, then I fear your prediction may very well be true.

I love Disney stuff (I am one of the few women on earth that will actually defend the Disney Princess) but I do wish they would let the company that has experience with superheroes do what they do best and stick with what Disney does best.

I just hope Disney doesn't push the movies to go the Schumaker route where Batman devolved into a joke all in the name of "family friendly". The Avengers had the right formula, now if only that is maintained....

#32 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2692 posts) - - Show Bio

Well as far as quality I thought almost all of Marvel's cinematic universe were good.

Great:

• Avengers
  • Iron Man
  • The Incredible Hulk

Good:

• Thor
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3 (don't hate you liked it)

Bad:

• Captain America

that's just my opinion though.............

#33 Posted by dngn4774 (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say roughly 2/3rds of the marvel movies are good. I thought thor, spiderman 3, both hulk movies, iron man 2, and iron man 3 were very underwhelming.

To be fair to the Marvel fans out there, Nolan's Batman films are overrated. The only reason the get praised so much is because almost every live action batman movie was horrendous. It's sort of like when you're at a bar and a 7 looks like a 9 because she's surrounded by 3's.

#34 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774: I don't understand your last point, please clarify?

#35 Posted by dngn4774 (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4: It's simple logic really, if you're going to compare the Nolan's trilogy to Burton's Batman (1989), Batman Returns (1992), Batman Forever (1995), or Batman and Robin (1997), it easily trumps all of them. Just because it's better than a lot of other lousy Batman movies doesn't mean that its actually as amazing as fans make it out to be.

#36 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774: I get it, Batman just has his prime representation thanks to the Nolan trilogy. Thanks.