#1 Edited by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all sorry for all this whining and the bad english but i had to! Marvel is having one of the worst years of it's history. I have been a loyal fan to Marvel, since 1995 always read regularly and not just Marvel i also keep reading DC and Image too(also many other companies and independents but not regularly) but Marvel was always the better son for me since the Marvel studios started.

I always imagined and wanted to have them a big collaborating movie universe but it seems i didn't know what i was thinking.Since the movies gone big their every series are changed and modified to make it similiar with their movie counter-parts and this is definitely not for the better. Those characters may have been working fine in the movies but i really can't tell this for their newly modified comic book counter-parts.

After they realized they are making a lot more money in the movies then comics they just literally betrayed their fans for the new readers. Everything is just too kid and new reader friendly also improvements and disimprovements of the characteristic changes are just thrown away to the garbage. Hulk is an avenger again, Nick Fury became an black dude with a totally unmatching attitude, and every single Avenger that appeared in the movies are completely different characters now, they have the same shell in the outside but in the inside they literally have nothing to do with who they had been.

Some may agree and some may disagree to this opinions but i really think they should have made these changes in the Ultimate Universe or whatever, not the base thing that going on for over 60 years

Everything that seemed part of 'art' is just seems to made for entertainment now

#2 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

The ONLY cases I've seen concerning the comics becoming like the movies is Fury, Widow, and Coulson: Fury's changes are obvious. Coulson EXISTS in the comics now. As for Widow, seems nearly every appearance I see her in nowadays she makes a reference to having 'red in her ledger'.

#3 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Marvel has been... Underwhelming, as well as DC. However, I don't think that's entirely the fault of the movies. There are many comics not influenced by Marvel Movies.

#5 Posted by kriminal (657 posts) - - Show Bio

as a new reader(2 years) i think you are just whinning. not like the entire industry forgot how to write

#6 Edited by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal said:

as a new reader(2 years) i think you are just whinning. not like the entire industry forgot how to write

I didn't said they forgot how to write i said they changed the way they write things just to please the new possible readers that are coming from the movies which i found disloyal to the older fans that are already following them

#7 Posted by SilverPool (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

I think murdering is a huge exaggeration. I enjoy the Marvel movies a lot, but they're lacking in substance. Saying they're a disgrace to the comics or anything is a bit extreme though if you ask me.

#8 Posted by LP (653 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP - but this is something that's been going on since early 2000.

#9 Posted by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

I do enjoyed all these movies they made as well. But comics comes first for me and i don't want them to be having instant changes because there is something more popular going on.

DC didn't made the mistake Marvel did(maybe they will as well when they release Justice League the movie) When i look at Batman i still see the Bruce Wayne but when i look at the Iron Man i can't see the Tony Stark under the mask all i see is Robert Downey or for Wolverine its all little bit more vicious Hugh Jackman

#10 Edited by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@lp said:

I agree with the OP - but this is something that's been going on since early 2000.

I also agree with that but the change was slow and more processing but right before the Avengers movie come out i felt like there was a big unspoken retcon everywhere

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I do agree that the movies are causing too many changes to happen in the comics (some are good, some are bad). I also grew up with the comics and I enjoyed the stories that the comic books were telling, but then, having the comic books change to adapt to the movies just makes it hard for me to read some of the comic books that are heavily influenced by the movies. I usually prefer to look at the comic book movies and the comics as being in their own separate universes, so that way, I could see different interpretations of the characters and the situations they are put in. But, once they mingle together in the comics, it makes it hard for me to tell the difference between the comic book and the movie. I still enjoy the movies though!

#12 Posted by Night Thrasher (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal said:

I didn't said they forgot how to write i said they changed the way they write things just to please the new possible readers that are coming from the movies which i found disloyal to the older fans that are already following them

About 98% of comics fans now are brought to comics from other mediums. It sounds hypocritical and irrational to even disparage newer fans who come to comics via movies. It sounds more like DC jealousy than anything else.

#13 Posted by scouts1998 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed, I am a DC reader and i only read 2 marvel books (hawkeye and Deadpool) and have been put off becasue they have changed it make it like the movies. However I still like the movies.

#14 Posted by FearTheLiving (4106 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed, I am a DC reader and i only read 2 marvel books (hawkeye and Deadpool) and have been put off becasue they have changed it make it like the movies. However I still like the movies.

Huh?... Which Hawkeye did you read?

#15 Posted by scouts1998 (600 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by G_leno (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. I love the Marvel movies, and have no problem with the way the comics are going, the only thing I didn't like was shoe-horning the Chitauri into Nova for no real reason.

#17 Edited by JakeN7 (13183 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

@jonsmith said:

The ONLY cases I've seen concerning the comics becoming like the movies is Fury, Widow, and Coulson: Fury's changes are obvious. Coulson EXISTS in the comics now. As for Widow, seems nearly every appearance I see her in nowadays she makes a reference to having 'red in her ledger'.

They're not the only cases. Ellis wrote an Avengers OGN called Endless Wartime a few months back that reeks of the movie's influence, particularly in scenes involving Banner/Hulk. Then there's the fact that Tony Stark was practically recreated in the comics to be more like Robert Downey Jr.'s version.

At least Hawkguy was left alone.

I'm pretty sure at least part of Endless Wartime's gig was to draw in the movie crowds, and it's resemblance to the MCU was intentional.

But god, yeah. Could you imagine? Clint Barton, Codename: Hawkeye, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D .........

Oh yeah....

Hey Ultimate Hawkeye? Remember when you were cool?

Yeah?

Well you're not anymore...

Damn you corporate synergy!

@scouts1998 said:

Huh?... Which Hawkeye did you read?

@feartheliving: Fraction's and Aja's one

Are you on meth? What strange world do you live in where Hawkguy even closely resembles the character Jeremy Renner played in The Avengers, and Fraction's writing of that book is at all influenced by the Marvel Cinematic Universe? What did they change exactly? Not to mention that Hawkguy is a complete re-invigoration of the character and has almost nothing to do with him actually being an Avenger. And if you say "well dey changed hiz costoom" I will straight up murder you. Ok not really, but that would be stupid.

#18 Edited by GrenadeFlow (1666 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing the OP mentioned is really that huge.

I love how everyone acts like Nick Fury was like some A-List character now that Marvel made him black.

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (15059 posts) - - Show Bio

I know how you feel man.I have never been the biggest Marvel fan out there but it seems like they started developing the Cinematic Universe they have ruined even more their comic universe.

#20 Edited by FearTheLiving (4106 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouts1998: No idea what you're talking about then, cause that Hawkeye has nothing to do with the movies. I haven't read much Deadpool but I highly doubt Fox's Origins had any impact on the comics at all either. (What with turning the very premise of the character "Merc with a Mouth" into a mute.)

#21 Posted by isaac_clarke (5479 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to disagree, mainly because the changes inspired from the cinematic universe are so marginal they don't matter - unless your idea of murder is giving Hawkeye a more practical costume. The only character to really be impacted by it is Stark himself and that's because RJD redefined the character with his role.

#22 Posted by Xwraith (21332 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it even that common for people to pick up the comics because they liked the movies?

#23 Posted by Mxyzptlk_CV (1179 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman: I agree with your points...I hate it too when they do this...

.....and Marvel should remove Black widow from the main avengers roster and put Hank Pym who deserves it more....Just because she was in the movies doesn´t mean she should be in the comics roster too...

#24 Edited by Teerack (7415 posts) - - Show Bio

You people realize the black Nick Fury isn't THE Nick Fury right? It's his son Nick Fury Jr. The real Nick Fury is a major character in the Winter Soldier book.

The movies have always been based more on the Ultimate comics then the 616 comics, and really none of the characters have been acting out of character in the comics. The only real effect the movies have had is putting Hulk back on the Avengers which was something a lot of people have wanted for Bruce for decades.

#25 Posted by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like what they're doing to Fury and Iron Man...

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

You people realize the black Nick Fury isn't THE Nick Fury right? It's his son Nick Fury Jr. The real Nick Fury is a major character in the Winter Soldier book.

The movies have always been based more on the Ultimate comics then the 616 comics, and really none of the characters have been acting out of character in the comics. The only real effect the movies have had is putting Hulk back on the Avengers which was something a lot of people have wanted for Bruce for decades.

I always thought that the reason why Nick Fury was played by Samuel L. Jackson in the movies was because it was based off of the Ultimate version of Nick Fury, who is black and like you mentioned, the movies are more based off the Ultimate comics than the 616 comics for the most part. There were some positive things that the movies brought to the comics like you mentioned, bringing Hulk back to the Avengers and making Iron Man a more iconic character, because of Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of his character.

#27 Posted by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog: To me the things you mentioned are not positive things i already liked and enjoyed Tony Stark i didn't want to see Robert Downey in the comics and also Iron Man already was a iconic hero in the comics he always been. And Hulk shouldn't have been an Avenger due to all these recent events over the years.I mean c'mon he just enslaved the world and tried to kill the most important heroes of the world just a year ago(comic timeline)

#28 Posted by MarlboroMan (1786 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

I think we all know that but the point is now the Fury all we know is pushed back and that new created character out of nowhere is the big deal of the 616. And yes they are mostly based on Ultimate universe but they are making the original 616 modifying into that

#29 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5656 posts) - - Show Bio

#24 Edited by Teerack (3933 posts) - 8 hours, 3 minutes ago - Show Bio

#21 Posted by isaac_clarke (5342 posts) - 9 hours, 3 minutes ago - Show Bio

I'm going to disagree, mainly because the changes inspired from the cinematic universe are so marginal they don't matter - unless your idea of murder is giving Hawkeye a more practical costume. The only character to really be impacted by it is Stark himself and that's because RJD redefined the character with his role.

#7 Posted by SilverPool (340 posts) - 16 hours, 47 minutes ago - Show Bio

I think murdering is a huge exaggeration. I enjoy the Marvel movies a lot, but they're lacking in substance. Saying they're a disgrace to the comics or anything is a bit extreme though if you ask me.

These.

#30 Posted by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

yeh i agree with OP

#31 Posted by MarcosVergara14 (477 posts) - - Show Bio

I been reading Marvel since Civil War and even i easly realise of the changes: Nick Fury Jr apparence, Hawkeye costume changed to look like the movie (even tough is his ultimate universe costume) , Iron Man looks like RDJ and covers and variants featuring the movie team like in All new X-men #8

www.comicvine.com/all-new-x-men-8/4000-390443/

#32 Posted by JoeC_Mommy (197 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has cherry-picked from the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe. And that was reasonable ... until an UU-like Nick Fury was shoe-horned into the MU as Nick Fury Jr. I can't help but wonder, Why not wait until after Age of Ultron, or after Cataclysm, to mainstream the UU's Nick Fury? Why the contrivance of a long-lost son, unknown to readers?

#33 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has cherry-picked from the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe. And that was reasonable ... until an UU-like Nick Fury was shoe-horned into the MU as Nick Fury Jr. I can't help but wonder, Why not wait until after Age of Ultron, or after Cataclysm, to mainstream the UU's Nick Fury? Why the contrivance of a long-lost son, unknown to readers?

I have to question this move also. It's like Marvel was so desperate to get Samuel L. Jackson's interpretation of Nick Fury into the 616 universe that they fail to realize that the older Nick Fury already had established history in the 616 universe and just throwing him to the side like that was just too forced out.

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34915 posts) - - Show Bio

@marlboroman: I agree with alot of what you say but the the Arrow tv show arguably saved Green Arrow from the festering cesspit that was his ongoing.

#35 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1666 posts) - - Show Bio

My only complaint about the movies is that all the Avengers covers feature the movie team. Its sickening

#36 Posted by HumanRocket (9295 posts) - - Show Bio

The recent marvel films + Marvel Now was a jumping point for new readers like myself and I have also gone back to old series like Civil War Annihilation and others so the Marvel films have helped too in the aspect of bringing in new readers to their comics.

#37 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

My only complaint about the movies is that all the Avengers covers feature the movie team. Its sickening

I always had a problem with that because there's more avengers on that team than just the ones featured in the movie and who knows, the movies might feature more characters in the long run, but it's like they consider the members in the movie to be the only avengers on the team.