Marvel/DC or Independent Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Poll Marvel/DC or Independent Comics? (55 votes)

Marvel or DC 42%
Independent Comics 24%
Both 35%

Which do you enjoy reading more? Marvel and DC Comics or anything from Independent Comics?

For me personally, I get more pleasure out of reading independent comics like Image and IDW, even though I still read Marvel and DC from time to time, because the stories are more unique and I don't have to worry about any of the stories being interrupted by events.

• 
Avatar image for mysterioususername
MysteriousUsername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I don't hate Marvel or DC, but creator owned comics are usually more up my alley.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I prefer Marvel to DC by a pretty large margin. However, I have gotten involved into the Valiant universe over the past couple months and have become a huge fan reading everything so far except Archer and Armstrong. I am finding myself getting more enjoyment from those series and more anticipation for the next book than just about any of my Marvel pulls.

It may just be the new car smell of the Valiant Universe but I love how they are structuring the books and the quality of each title.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think my love will always be DC comics. That being said I completely understand people's greater interest in creator owned comics/

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Valiant>>>Marvel/DC

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

DC and Marvel, just because I'm too lazy to read anything else :P

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I don't hate Marvel or DC, but creator owned comics are usually more up my alley.

I agree. I still love reading Marvel and DC, but lately the independent comics are catching my attention.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA

i read all types but i like indie titles way more . i have my favorites when it comes to Marvel or DC but indies are much better.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I collect about 6 Marvel titles and about 17 Independent titles.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero interest in indie stuff, in fact I only read comics because I wanted superhero stories although most of what I read isn't current stuff....

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part about reading comics is the continuity and legacy that backs the characters. Knowing Spider-Man has faced Hobgoblin 11 times before this and is keen on his every move gives the comic that much more depth.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Marvel and DC but I also read Black Bat from Dynamite and Captain Midnight from Dark Horse.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDW is quickly becoming my favourite company.

Once Spider-man comes back that might change.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

I'll check out any and all superhero comics.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC & Marvel have the best writers, artists, and Characters, Independent companies cant "afford" the best.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

Both, but if I were forced to choose, I'd pick the Big Two over Independent comics any day.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't read many ind. comics but I chose "both" if only because it's the subject that matters to me. It just happens that the big-2 are much more focused on traditional super-heroics (which are what I am a fan of) than the entirety of the independent companies. However I have read some "super hero" titles from non Marvel/DC comics that I did enjoy, including: Invincible, Superior, Halcyon, & The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode. (There's a few others I have my eye on but are fairly new so I'm waiting for volumes to come out (I hate waiting a month between issues, lol)). I've seen a lot about Irredeemable/Incorruptible, but I'm not sure how much I'm into the "top hero becomes a bad guy" angle.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For the most part, Marvel and DC, but when i get tired of Superheroes, i read indie comics. Definitely much more variety in indie comics, then in the big two.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Both, but I'd pick indy titles if I were forced to decide. They don't have anything holding them back and the selection is much broader. Plus, when an indy is good, it's damn good.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Both. I read about 70% DC and 30% indie stuff. My LCS really only carries the big two and a handful of Image, Darkhorse, and Valiant comics. When I budget my comic money for the month I set a side a portion for independent stuff when I find it, or just save up and order it online.

bornonamonday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel, Indy, DC in that order for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

DC & Marvel have the best writers, artists, and Characters, Independent companies cant "afford" the best.

Stan Lee worked on a decent BOOM! title called Soldier Zero, and Valiant and Image have both had Justin Jordan as a writer, who has worked on Deathstroke and I think is going to work on Red Lantern (Not sure on that one). Besides, the art in some indie books is great. As for the best "characters".. every single character Valiant has put out is cool and identifiable. Shadowman, Bloodshot, XO-Manowar, Ninjak, Archer and Armstrong and Harbinger are all great characters. Their stories are what really drives them, however. Image also has the likes of Luther Strode and Invincible. Dark Horse = Star Wars. Boom has given us "Irredeemable" and "Incorruptible" which is about a past Superhero and past Supervillain who both become the opposite of the former, which is an interesting concept. It's like Superman had chosen to turn evil.

Money doesn't make good comics.

Valiant>>>Marvel/DC

This

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC because of Lantern Corps and the fact that they just have so many titles that I can just roam from comic to comic

Marvel because the teams are infinitely better

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I've been dipping my toes into both genres recently but until a real major travesty happens, I'll have a fondness for DC and Marvel over indie companies.

Avatar image for mysterioususername
MysteriousUsername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Try telling that to Valiant.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: You do realize that writers such as Scott Snyder, Alan Moore, Robert Kirkman, and dozens of other award winning writers have written/still write comics for indie companies right? Do some research before you spout out nonsense like that.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, I love both. I couldnt live with one or the other. But indies are slowly growing to be my favorite. Walking Dead, Saga, and 100 Bullets are my top choices.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I prefer superhero comics but when the quality is so low as it is now I think Indie comics deserve the respect and recognition they gain!
Currently they are around a 100 superhero titles and only 10-20 actually worth their money.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read everything that catches my eye, from Invincible to Avengers to GL to Atomic Robo to Sean Brubakers "Criminal " to name a few. If its good ,ill give it a chance regardless of who produced it being close minded is stupid.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Image is still counted as indie?

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Marvel wins for me. On my pull list I have 6 for marvel, 1 for dark horse, and 1 for image. I've tried so hard to get into some DC stuff, but really just don't do it for me. To each there own thou, I can see why people would like DC stuff but it's just not for me.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo: You do realize that writers such as Scott Snyder, Alan Moore, Robert Kirkman, and dozens of other award winning writers have written/still write comics for indie companies right? Do some research before you spout out nonsense like that.

Yeah, I remember Jim Lee going away to start an indie company back in the 90s now that you mentioned it... What happened after that? Oh yeah, returned to a reputable company that right.

My point is, sure, when writers get to a certain level of arrogance, they try to "take their toys and go home", but that is invariably less successful than when they put their skills to work for the worlds greatest comic book characters. Alan Moore is generally considered a loon these days, and when people praise him, theyre are talking about decades old super hero books. Sure Kirkman, has actually been successful, but he is an exception.

Indie comics are one of two things: Books that arent good enough to be picked up by the big 2, or Vanity projects for big names. Thats it. If you like them, thats cool, but I have no love for them.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@juliedc: there is independent superhero comics

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deaditegonzo

@jonny_anonymous said:

@deaditegonzo: wow you really haven't got a clue

No, I have a different opinion; one that apparently the majority of consumers share, but it is my opinion.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JulieDC

@jonny_anonymous: I am talking about the DC (and to a lesser extent, Marvel) superheros. I read comics explicitly for Batman, Superman, Justice League, etc.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@deaditegonzo: no, you don't have a clue because you think that Indy publishers "can't afford" good writers, that doesn't even make sense since Indy indy publishers don't hire writers like Marvel and DC does, the writers go to them also could you name at least one writer that the other publishers "can't afford"?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: no, you don't have a clue because you think that Indy publishers "can't afford" good writers, that doesn't even make sense since Indy indy publishers don't hire writers like Marvel and DC does, the writers go to them also could you name at least one writer that the other publishers "can't afford"?

They cant afford consistently? One that can be kept for an on-going? Cause that is made up of the majority of writers at DC and Marvel.

Yeah, they go to indy publishers, for the two reasons ive already mentioned. Im not going to argue with you about this, you like what you like.