Marvel Cosmic or Green Lantern?

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Both titles are primarily about expanding and creating their respective universes, and often take place outside our solar system. They are both great in a lot of ways, but both are also lacking in other areas (I'm looking at you Venditti).

Which do you prefer? Why?

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lanterns. I almost made this topic last night lol.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By micah007123

Marvel Cosmic. Most of DC cosmic is something Lantern related, which gets boring and predictable after awhile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Marvel.

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By landrysaathoff

@micah:

Yeah, but most Marvel cosmic events involve Nova, Surfer, and the GotG.

I see what you mean though, even if Marvel uses those ^^^ characters for all of their cosmic events, they're not all characters with a similar premise (I.E. they're not all lanterns). But I still feel that DC has plenty of different lanterns with interesting and unique qualities and abilities to keep it interesting.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By micah007123

@landrysaathoff said:

@micah:

Yeah, but most Marvel cosmic events involve Nova, Surfer, and the GotG.

You tend to see them alot but the key difference is that they usually aren't the Major focus of said story, and even still for Marvel Cosmic events your usually dealing with many different players at once, different religions, motives, hierarchy, sometimes alternate characters, species ect.

I see what you mean though, even if Marvel uses those ^^^ characters for all of their cosmic events, they're not all characters with a similar premise (I.E. they're not all lanterns). But I still feel that DC has plenty of different lanterns with interesting and unique qualities and abilities to keep it interesting.

Oh I do agree. I love the Lanterns but for alot of DC's biggest and most critically acclaimed Cosmic Stories the premise usually solely revolves around them. I don't have a problem with this but when its like this over and over again, it just gets tiresome after awhile. DC has a large Cosmic side that doesn't just rely on the Lanterns that thankfully they are just now starting to tap into.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both...

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By landrysaathoff

@micah:

Totally, BUT that is both the strength and weakness of DC cosmic.

In my opinion, DC cosmic is better. Because even though it BEGAN and then remained centered in Green Lantern, (face it, there was no real cosmic until then) it still contained so much content. But it's time of glory was short lived, because as soon as Johns said deuces to GL, it became boring and directionless.

While Marvel cosmic seems to have always been open to rapid expansion and innovation, and continues to be interesting at worst and flipping amazing at best. But Anihillation (although however awesome it is) didn't give me that overwhelming feeling of awe that the SCW did.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lanterns

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landrysaathoff: I respect your opinion, and do agree that SCW was one hell of a story. For me my favorite Cosmic stories from Marvel are Annihilation, War of Kings, and Infinity. I like most of them but those are my top 3. For DC I'd probably say SCW, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Infinite Crisis off the top of my head.

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By landrysaathoff

@micah:

Infinite Crisis was super good! But I found it convoluted at times lol. Plus it made SBP a god!

I really want to get more into marvel Cosmic! I've read Anihillation, and other various Nova and FF titles, but I really want to to a readathon starting with IG.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Cosmic

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landrysaathoff: I thought the original Crisis on Infinite Earths was super confusing when I first read it lol. If your looking for other Marvel Cosmic stories as I listed above you should read War of Kings, Infinity, IG, Thanos Imperative, Annihilation: Conquest, Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter, The Original Secret Wars, X-Men: Dark Pheonix Saga, ect. Those should be enough if you were looking to expand a bit.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@micah: Lanterns are cosmic tittles that actually dc sells. Most cosmic tittles dont have longer durations.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#17 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

When Marvel cosmic dropped off after the Thanos Imperative, I started picking up Green Lantern books. I got a bunch of trades and read most of the ongoings for a couple of years.

It had some cool stories and characters, but I mostly found myself more into the villains. Also the fact that most of the main character lanterns are from Earth and everything constantly went back there took me out of it. I gave the Legion of Super heroes a shot too.

Marvel cosmic has much more interesting characters in a more interesting universe, largely independent of earth.

On an unrelated note, I'm still perplexed by those saying the lanterns are so powerful. I never saw anything to suggest they wield the most powerful weapon in the universe or they were anywhere on the level of Quasar or the Silver Surfer. I guess the good stuff must be further back than I read...

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By landrysaathoff

@jloneblackheart:

The green lantern rings have an instruction manual that's very vague. It brings your will into existence through light constructs, which is simple enough, but the rings are in fact potentially limitless. It's only limited by a human's (or any other sentient's) max willpower. Hal Jordan has shown that he had more willpower than any other lantern before him has possessed, and he has been able to transcend the common limitations faced by other ring wielders. The first example that comes to mind is that he...

*Spoilerspierspoilers*

killed The guardian Krona at the end of War of the Green Lanterns.

******END SPOILERSSSSSS****

This was done by Hal, despite the Guardians claiming that it was impossible to do this. This is because ring is only limited by your will (or any other emotion you posses, depending on the type of lantern you are).

The ring is POTENTIALLY the most powerful weapon in the universe. It depends on the wielder.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: that is wrong. Green Lantern Corps, Lobo, Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N, Brainiac, Adam Strange, Starfire, Captain Comet, Despero, The Khunds, The Dominators, Legion Of Superheroes, STARRO, The Durlans, The New Gods, Martian Manhunter, Thanagarians, and many others are steeped in DC's space and cosmic lore. You are clearly not too informed if you think 'cosmic' only has to do with the GLC at DC.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By micah007123

@blackdog2009: I'm well aware of them. DC seems to have forgotten about them unfortunately....thankfully that seems to be changing as of recent.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Why choose one when you can choose both?

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By landrysaathoff

@skyroid:

Because the question is "which do you like more, despite that they are both great." Ya feel??? :D

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

depends on the story

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel cosmic stories are better IMO

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I can't go against Green Lantern.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Marvel Cosmic. Most of DC cosmic is something Lantern related, which gets boring and predictable after awhile"

This basically, it's a lot more versatile imo and I just generally prefer the characters. All the lantern cores just lack creativity imo...which is kind of ironic really.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Historically Marvel has better Cosmic stories and DC has better Magic stories.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lettsplay10

Historically Marvel has better Cosmic stories and DC has better Magic stories.

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet:

At face value, yes the lantern concept is really cool, BUT nothing amazing in comparison to other great comic stories...

Until you consider the fact that the concept of "Lanterns" back when Green Lantern was first being writen in the silver age was TOTALLY DIFFERENT, and Geoff John's took it and built this complex mythology from it, without restarting the universe from scratch to do it! Just a small amount of rectoning. The journey from a green light-weilding space cop, to a green emotion-weilding linchpin is worth the read by itself. So smart writing, interesting concept, relatable characters (some more than others though) all made it a good stroy.

That's why John's Green Lantern wins in my mind. He's not the first writer to do something like this, but he's my favorite one to do it.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landrysaathoff: Originally yes the Green Lanterns were a great concept and I suppose it's impressive what he did with it. However, after the original idea it lacks creativity imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart:

The green lantern rings have an instruction manual that's very vague. It brings your will into existence through light constructs, which is simple enough, but the rings are in fact potentially limitless. It's only limited by a human's (or any other sentient's) max willpower. Hal Jordan has shown that he had more willpower than any other lantern before him has possessed, and he has been able to transcend the common limitations faced by other ring wielders. The first example that comes to mind is that he...

*Spoilerspierspoilers*

This was done by Hal, despite the Guardians claiming that it was impossible to do this. This is because ring is only limited by your will (or any other emotion you posses, depending on the type of lantern you are).

The ring is POTENTIALLY the most powerful weapon in the universe. It depends on the wielder.

If I remember correctly, the Guardians weren't surprised by Hal's destructive power, but by his ability to overcome the failsafe that made it so that the rings wouldn't work against Guardians. Killing Krona who had a ring of every color at the time is an incredible feat nonetheless.

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras:

Yes, we are in agreement.

Hal had more willpower than ever thought possible by the guardians, thus overcoming the failsafe put in place. The rings are capable of anything, only limited to the wearers willpower.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landrysaathoff: Sorry, guess I missunderstood you. I've always found it weird though that on one hand, lanterns have done things that were supposed to be impossible with the ring's limits but on the other hand, it happened several times that the wielder's willpower exceeded the ring's capabilities (Hal trying to recreate Coast City, John trying to recreate Xanshi).

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickras:

My guess is that the failsafes are fighting to keep the lantern's willpower contained. Or they don't have enough willpower to carry on with thier current task. That would be my best guess as to why the ring seems to have limitations at times.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nowadays probably Marvel's. But in the day when the LSH was more or less a cosmic team of sorts (like the FF is) I may have leaned to DC.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Cosmic. Green Lantern books are some of my favorites though.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyroid:

Because the question is "which do you like more, despite that they are both great." Ya feel??? :D

then... Green Lantern. i hated green lantern and Aquaman with passion but Geoff Johns changed them forever

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#40 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jloneblackheart:

*Spoilerspierspoilers*

That is about where I read up to. I understand everyone also says how powerful the Guardians are, and Hal killing on is an awesome feat for him, but just like the Lanterns, I've never seen anything (in what I read anyway) to show me that either the Lanterns or the Guardians were as powerful as some of Marvel cosmic heavy hitters. I've been guessing most of the great feats come from the bronze and modern age comics I haven't read and the newer stuff just doesn't seem as powerful without the old context.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I read Green Lantern and GotG. Both are pretty awesome when they have good writers (DnA and Johns respectively).

landrysaathoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By landrysaathoff

@jloneblackheart:

This is because DC has way stronger heroes, but Marvel has godlike villains.

It's a wonder that anything or anyone ever gets saved from peril in the Marvel Universe.