Marvel Civil War . . . Whose Side Are You On?

• 88 results
depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Poll Marvel Civil War . . . Whose Side Are You On? (99 votes)

Iron Man (pro-registration) 33%
Captain America's (anti-registration) 65%
No Caption Provided

• 
those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the sentry was in civil war in the comics?

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the sentry was in civil war in the comics?

yeah, didn't really do much though, which they pointed out in The Initiative series

If he decided to actually lift a finger Cap's team wouldn't have stood a chance haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Steve's.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caps.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

cap

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@kgb725 said:

@depinhom: Herc would've smashed him

I hate Sentry as much as the next guy (even though i'm representing him in a CAV) but how the hell is Hercules beating him?

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Based on the comics, Cap. But if they're making changes to the story in the MCU, I'll wait until the movie comes out.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Tony both the comic and movies.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kgb725 said:

@depinhom: Herc would've smashed him

I hate Sentry as much as the next guy (even though i'm representing him in a CAV) but how the hell is Hercules beating him?

By kicking him in the nuts.

You may think I'm joking, but no! He actually did that once.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: WTH LOL? Do you have a scan?

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom: LOL. But I think we all know that Sentry would beat Hercules. XD

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really think superheroes should have to register?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@depinhom said:
@the_stegman said:

Realistically with the power they wield I do.

Do you believe in some form of gun control?

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Overmonitor

Being a human myself, I would side with Tony. As would almost everyone (human) if superheroes were actually real. I don't think you guys are really putting yourself in that situation. You aren't a superhero. They are more dangerous than nuclear weapons, we would all want to know about them so we could avoid the bad guys using them or them becoming bad themselves.

For every single hero there are 2 villains with just as many powers who could be just as dangerous. They should have framed it as an all out war between all the heroes and the assembled Marvel villains. That's what it would likely be like.

Think about it logically. Cap would side with the government as well and the villains would refuse to register. Marvel just needed a decent reason for IM to fight Cap.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@depinhom said:
@the_stegman said:

Realistically with the power they wield I do.

Do you believe in some form of gun control?

Of course I do, but it's beyond different

These people have this power but dedicate themselves to justice and fighting for good

I obviously believe super criminals should be put away in some place like 42 but the way Tony was using criminals to catch Cap was terrible

The Initiative also is not that great - If you remember, after 1 day Ultron attacked and I'm pretty sure Tony had to call in the other heroes because the Avengers weren't enough

Also, Tony revealed his identity for fame and glory, but some find it best to keep it a secret

Cap asked Spidey during the war how he felt that Sandman has his wife's zip code

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Squalleon

If I was an in-universe person, I would probably be pro.

But as a reader and an outsider, I see that the governments, agencies etc. that control this information are always corrupted, controlled, hacked etc. So they will hinder the super-heroes.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T'challa

No Caption Provided

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@overmonitor said:

Being a human myself, I would side with Tony. As would almost everyone (human) if superheroes were actually real. I don't think you guys are really putting yourself in that situation. You aren't a superhero. They are more dangerous than nuclear weapons, we would all want to know about them so we could avoid the bad guys using them or them becoming bad themselves.

For every single hero there are 2 villains with just as many powers who could be just as dangerous. They should have framed it as an all out war between all the heroes and the assembled Marvel villains. That's what it would likely be like.

Think about it logically. Cap would side with the government as well and the villains would refuse to register. Marvel just needed a decent reason for IM to fight Cap.

Not really, because Cap knows it's not that far from registration to something worse. At the base of it we are governed -not ruled- by a set of laws and one of the prime principles upon which those laws are based is that all are equal under the law. It's not like registering a gun, a gun isn't part of a persons body. Registration would first violate the 4th amendment because if a person didn't admit to having powers the only way you could prove that he had them would be a physical exam with a blood test, that would violate the principle of unreasonable search. Say you get past that and find out that he does have powers and is registered. As we saw in the comics a draft follows and that violates the 13th amendment against involuntary servitude unless you re-instate a nation wide draft.

The principle you lay out "or them becoming bad themselves" is one of guilty before any crime has been committed. Simply by breathing they violate the law and must be watched no matter if they've ever committed a crime or not. That's not freedom, that's selective discrimination.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

@depinhom: I think young people with great power should register, yes. They have way too much power to go running around, putting lives in danger because they don't know what they're doing.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@90mv said:

T'challa

No Caption Provided

Wait . . . What? Haha

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor said:

Not really, because Cap knows it's not that far from registration to something worse. At the base of it we are governed -not ruled- by a set of laws and one of the prime principles upon which those laws are based is that all are equal under the law. It's not like registering a gun, a gun isn't part of a persons body. Registration would first violate the 4th amendment because if a person didn't admit to having powers the only way you could prove that he had them would be a physical exam with a blood test, that would violate the principle of unreasonable search. Say you get past that and find out that he does have powers and is registered. As we saw in the comics a draft follows and that violates the 13th amendment against involuntary servitude unless you re-instate a nation wide draft.

The principle you lay out "or them becoming bad themselves" is one of guilty before any crime has been committed. Simply by breathing they violate the law and must be watched no matter if they've ever committed a crime or not. That's not freedom, that's selective discrimination.

Wow this guy's a genius

Well said

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Overmonitor

@mark_stephen: You are assuming the same thing I am bro. Think about it.

You are assuming people would take registration from bad to worse. What is so bad about having your name on a list?

I am assuming heroes and especially villains do the same thing. If Hulk was real he would have thousands of accidental deaths on his head. There's no way around it.

I promise that if superheroes were real you would have a different mindset. The needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few. We already have lists for potential terrorists, do not fly lists, we make every person born register with the government. How is this different?

Being anti-government just because you want to isn't the way to go. I want to know what would be so bad if everyone cooperated and just registered?

The standard answer is that bad guys could get into the database and then see everyone's identity, FYI. I have had this debate before. The problem is that the villains would need to register too, hence my whole point that there would be an all-out war between the villains, who clearly wouldn't register because they would be arrested on the spot, and the heroes, who all have already given up their identities enough that the government should already know them. I don't think you understand how closely you are being tracked anyways now since 9/11 (the driving idea behind civil war, btw).

Many heroes don't even wear masks or have secret indentities anymore. In WWH they walk right up to Robert Reynold's door in the middle of a neighborhood and ask him to transform into Sentry and fight Hulk. Iron Man was the Secretary of Defense. Beast had held office in Gov't before too. Sounds like they were really discriminated against huh? There are many more examples of heroes coming right out about their identities than there are examples of hidden secret alter-egos, at least in Marvel.

There's basically Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman, and that's it anymore. And their identities have all been revealed enough in the past.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust Steve more than Tony

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust Steve more than Tony

Anyday

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom: I think young people with great power should register, yes. They have way too much power to go running around, putting lives in danger because they don't know what they're doing.

Think about mutants

Children as young as 3 with amazing abilities and they should be registered? They should have their civil liberties taken away? they didn't choose to receive those powers, they just want to live in peace

The whole registration thing started because the New Warriors were stupid kids without training, experience, or common sense but you can't blame thee acts of few on many

Just like with the police - A cop kills a man that's innocent, terrible thing, but that makes all cops bad??? Hell no! It's the same logic

Heroes are just trying to help and suddenly giving up their liberties to work for the government makes them criminals?

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap.

Avatar image for deactivated-61c1f20acb732
deactivated-61c1f20acb732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom: Think about characters like the Hulk or Sentry. They save lives and all that, but they occasionally go on murderous rampages and kill dozens of nonpowered civillians and cause millions in property damages. Although Cap's side has better characters and stronger convictions, Stark's side makes sense. I hate Iron Man, but i am team stark.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxlabp said:

@depinhom: Think about characters like the Hulk or Sentry. They save lives and all that, but they occasionally go on murderous rampages and kill dozens of nonpowered civillians and cause millions in property damages. Although Cap's side has better characters and stronger convictions, Stark's side makes sense. I hate Iron Man, but i am team stark.

But please explain to me how registering heroes will make them stop killing

And do you really think Hulk would allow someone to register him

Hulk likes to smash, I'm not so sure he's up for becoming a government official

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are the stronger people on iron mans team in the movie?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@depinhom: The cop thing is faulty logic. Cops ARE trained, if a cop does something bad, he's a bad cop and should be reprimanded. These are people with great power who use that power without proper training, even if they wanna do good. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: You're really telling me Captain America is untrained? I think I speak for all the superheroes when I say fighting Galactus, Thanos, Ultron, Dr. Doom, etc. is more training than just going to the academy

Police are equipped to handle bad situations and criminals, of course they are, but they are lost against the heavy hitters without Cap and the Avengers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

@depinhom: No, obviously Cap has already had plenty of training. Training is for UNTRAINED up and coming heroes. And that wasn't my point about the police, my point is, they are trained to have that power, some guy can't just get a gun and arrest people, saying he's a cop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom: the government can put a bomb in his brain, like suicide squad or the Thunderbolts army

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well cap is a flame and if I was being intellectually honest, anti registration is bullshit so clearly ironman

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I agree and clearly the New Warriors were untrained but why does that mean Cap needs to register?

Or Falcon, or Ms. Marvel, or War Machine

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom: yes. Hulk is a weapon of mass destruction that can explode at any moment. The government should destroy the Hulk, or try to remove the gamma radiation from Banners body.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...no 31 "Which side are you on" thread..keep em coming

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: You are assuming the same thing I am bro. Think about it.

You are assuming people would take registration from bad to worse. What is so bad about having your name on a list?

I am assuming heroes and especially villains do the same thing. If Hulk was real he would have thousands of accidental deaths on his head. There's no way around it.

I promise that if superheroes were real you would have a different mindset. The needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few. We already have lists for potential terrorists, do not fly lists, we make every person born register with the government. How is this different?

Being anti-government just because you want to isn't the way to go. I want to know what would be so bad if everyone cooperated and just registered?

The standard answer is that bad guys could get into the database and then see everyone's identity, FYI. I have had this debate before. The problem is that the villains would need to register too, hence my whole point that there would be an all-out war between the villains, who clearly wouldn't register because they would be arrested on the spot, and the heroes, who all have already given up their identities enough that the government should already know them. I don't think you understand how closely you are being tracked anyways now since 9/11 (the driving idea behind civil war, btw).

Many heroes don't even wear masks or have secret indentities anymore. In WWH they walk right up to Robert Reynold's door in the middle of a neighborhood and ask him to transform into Sentry and fight Hulk. Iron Man was the Secretary of Defense. Beast had held office in Gov't before too. Sounds like they were really discriminated against huh? There are many more examples of heroes coming right out about their identities than there are examples of hidden secret alter-egos, at least in Marvel.

There's basically Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman, and that's it anymore. And their identities have all been revealed enough in the past.

I don't think you can promise me something based on my own reaction, you don't know me. I might for all you know hold on to my principles even in the face of great fear. I am assuming registration will go from bad to worse because I have yet to see any place where the government has shown restraint. Not for the interment of American citizens of Japanese descent in WW2 or the experimentation in Tuskegee or for that matter the experimentation on regular US soldiers at the start of the atomic era. And that is just what I know of.

I know that I'm being tracked, watched, catalogued, recorded, photographed and so is everyone else. That's the key though, so is everyone else. If I had powers and there was a law that said I would have to register I'd have to ask why? Why doesn't my own government trust me? Why should I be loyal to a government that automatically assumes I'm dangerous and have to be watched? Sure I could lift a car, but my neighbor who can't lift a car could just as easily blow that car up. All it would take would be a match. Why would he be more trustworthy than me? It's not my desire not to sign as it is my right not to sign because the law itself would discriminate against me because of something that I had no choice about. I was born with brown hair, no choice about that. If I were born with powers it'd be the same thing. If I registered and they decided my powers were too dangerous to be allowed to continue they'd have to go into my body -the ultimate invasion of privacy- to take away or reduce those powers even if I had done nothing.

In end it comes down to the question of am I an equal citizen with the same rights as my neighbor or am I not? Lincoln in a letter boiled it down to this in a letter to Joshua Speed. just replace "Catholics" with "people who have super powers". http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/speed.htm

"I am not a Know-Nothing. That is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor or degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic]."

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By depinhom

@maxlabp: You know that Hulk can be used for good things and that a bomb most likely will not kill him

I'm pretty sure his head was cut off one time and he lived but I'm not 100% sure

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxlabp: You also know darn well that as soon as Hulk registers and they chip his head he's being used as a weapon

Simple as that

That's the US government

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By kcomicfan

Iron Man.

depinhom

Forum Posts