Marvel Civil War: What side would you have chosen?

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Marvel Civil War: What side would you have chosen? (116 votes)

Iron Man 23%
Captain America 55%
Fought Both 6%
Left the U.S. 16%

Imagine you were a super-hero in the Marvel universe prior to civil war. One day you are out and about,fighting crime, when you see the bombing on television.

Later you hear about the Super-Hero Registration Act and before long; it's CIVIL WAR!

How would you have reacted and what side, if any, would you have chosen?

• 
Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screw that. I'm leaving. I'd go work for some country that appreciates my service.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_nofunallowed: I see someone went to the Ben Grimm school of Marvel heroics ;)

Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mr_NoFunAllowed
RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_nofunallowed: Well whatever we call it; I totally understand it. Fighting for a society that see's you as some object to be owned/operated; is not very appealing.

With that being said I would stand with Cap!

No Caption Provided

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By reaverlation

I go to the DC Universe

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Iron Man was right.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lateralus

Cyclops was right

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: Iron Man was right? Killed numerous heroes, created Ragnarok, and allied with numerous super-villains. The end result was a massive divide in the community that left them vulnerable to the skrull and led to the creation the dark avengers.

@reaverlation I would have come to join you after Caps death ;)

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: Iron Man was right? Killed numerous heroes, created Ragnarok, and allied with numerous super-villains. The end result was a massive divide in the community that left them vulnerable to the skrull and led to the creation the dark avengers.

I agreed with his idea, not the method. Marvel basically made Tony into Iron Hitler.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oceanmaster21
Grayzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say neither, or just leave U.S.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge Marvel did handle it a weird way. I mean they make him a totally vile guy yet at the end of it they have the public turn against Captain America, out of nowhere, in order to try to salvage Tony's reputation. Total fail in terms of handling the development, but even if Tony had gone about it a better way; the principal of the matter I didn't agree with.

@oceanmaster21 Damnitt Zoom! Stop running through universes :p

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grayzone I am starting to think a lot of us here at comicvine would have made less volatile heroes and perhaps would have avoided a war in general :p

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oceanmaster21
RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RedLantern2814

@oceanmaster21: I imagine Atrocitus would respond to that by saying something about having his entire sector murdered by tin soldiers of little blue men and then he would attempt to kill you; because of his rage issues :p

Avatar image for cpt_facepuncher
Cpt_FacePuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a battle.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@mr_nofunallowed: Well whatever we call it; I totally understand it. Fighting for a society that see's you as some object to be owned/operated; is not very appealing.

No Caption Provided

That Quote right there is what gave me HUGE respect for Cap until AVX i'm a little salty with Cap. ANYWAY. Honestly with Civil War i'd stay neutral. I understand both sides I do not want to be a government puppy just because a group of young superheroes decided to make a dumb decision costing the lives of thousands doesn't mean i'm also responsible. But you also can't just have superheroes running around claiming being a hero without proper training(knowledge about certain villains). I believe they are all at fault wasn't New Warriors new to the hero stuff anyway? Whatever anyway I can go on and on about this, but I have to stay Neutral and pick neither side. I'm hiding underground until things blow over.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: My issue is that there was no training that could have been done to stop Nitro from blowing up. So using him as the launchpad for the registration act was already on rocky ground and then the actions of Iron Man's side sealed it for me. Team Cap and afterwards ditch the U.S. to be the villain happy place that persecuting heroes would have made it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e291995a18d6
deactivated-5e291995a18d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This quote sucks.

Anyway, Iron Man is right, and any sane individual should agree. Imagine if people with powers existed in real life.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebourneposter: I have thought about it and Iron Man was wrong. Essentially what you are saying is that if people with powers did exist you want them to have their free will restricted and have them solely utilized by the U.S. Government.

That story cannot end well; and in fact it did not end well did it? It fractured the hero community, had one of it's greatest leaders presumed dead, and left the world vulnerable to years of pain.

Grayzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: Haha yes, I mean honestly I just think If I had super powers I would be spending my time elsewhere.

@stormphoenix: My issue is that there was no training that could have been done to stop Nitro from blowing up. So using him as the launchpad for the registration act was already on rocky ground and then the actions of Iron Man's side sealed it for me. Team Cap and afterwards ditch the U.S. to be the villain happy place that persecuting heroes would have made it

Agreed.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grayzone: Well the power I would have, if I could choose, was to be a red lantern. So I would likely spend most of my time exploring space and unloading some righteous anger against some tyrants persecuting people. #AntiHero ;)

colliderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man was right but that doesn't changes the fact he was a complete douche in that arc

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jhaigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably just leave, maybe going back to help Cap after Tony went full-on psycho.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhaigo: That is something I considered putting in. How would you feel at the beginning and how would you feel after Tony unleashed Ragnarok

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

At first I walk on the Iron Man train. Superheroes serving their country united (and with a paycheck to boot) sounded pretty good. It still does. But as Civil War unfolded, I started to see the darker side of the pro reg movement and why it might be a bad idea. That Cap quote certainly helped things as well.

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have regulations for people to carry/use guns for obvious reasons....why the holy goddamn f*ck wouldn't we regulate people who can blow things up by touching them or shoot deadly lasers out of their faces????

Ironman was a dick about it, but his side was right.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: I see someone went to the Peter Parker school of "What to do during Civil War." ;)

In all seriousness I hear what you are saying. I never would have supported it, for reasons I have already stated and others, but at the beginning would have been me at my most understanding. As it went on, and Tony got kind of nuts, it would become clear I was Anti-Registration; especially after Ragnarok was unleashed.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huthimamwa: Well guns are inanimate objects whereas people are people. Although that helps point out exactly why registration was fundamentally a bad idea. You stop seeing people as people, see them only as weapons, and build from there. Not to mention if the X-men's dealings with the Government had taught us anything up until that point; it was how poorly they thought of powered people

Iron Man was a dick about it because his side of the debate demanded he treat people like objects. What do you do to an object that doesn't do what you want? Throw it in the trash.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@redlantern2814: lol yeah I guess I did. Then I transferred to Ben's cuz nowadays I think I probably would've left.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: I love how most of us, no matter what side we picked during the war, would have ultimately abandoned the country that put us in that situation!

I think it not only speaks well of us as people, but shows that a world with heroes would be less tolerant of people getting jerked around

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huthimamwa: And we're doing a sh!tty job regulating them. Either give everyone a gun or give no one a gun which both drastically reduce murder and crime rates.

Registration is akin to being drafted either you want to or not you are fighting for the government even if you want to or not

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Which is why I find it amoral, but setting aside amorality, it is foundationally stupid to try to command powered people to do things against their will.

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madripoor: "Iron Man was right? Killed numerous heroes, created Ragnarok, and allied with numerous super-villains. The end result was a massive divide in the community that left them vulnerable to the skrull and led to the creation the dark avengers."

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

DarthSamburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd become an anti-hero. Kinda made me lose faith in Tony, but I wouldn't follow Cap, ya know, because i'm a badass. I'd carry on the way I was already living, but if Tony sent a team out to try hunt me down i'd morals off their sorry asses.

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: He did some sh!t, no doubt about it, but at least he took his responsibilities; would you really like to live in a place where everyone can put a mask on and do whatever he thinks it's right ?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Correct I agree with you there. They had no knowledge of Nitro a A/B Class Villain and powerful mutant. Although regardless the New Warriors should have taken the fight from the beginning cautiously if Nitro was there or not, but instead they treated it as if it was a comedy show. IF I was a hero i'd go for those kids throats hollering and screaming at them like a father would do to his son. But I have to put the blame on major hero organizations like Sheild,Avengers,X-men,FF4 for letting juvenile idiots running around playing hero fighting bad guys they have never faced before. I like Ironman and I LOVE cap, but my mind would side with Tony and my heart would side with cap which is why I can't side with neither. As a superhero community they should have told themselves "Damn is this what it feels like for mutants? Forced to sign up for the mutant registration act?" that should have been brewing in caps mind.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madripoor: That's exactly what super heroes do in both DC and Marvel. It's what they continued to do after Civil War; which goes to show not only that if it isn't broke don't fix it as well as the futility of the attempt. Also I love how you are on team registration while rocking a picture of Constantine lol

@darthsamburger That is a completely respectable way to go and I love how you only said if Tony sent a team after you; because we both know Cap wouldn't!

To be fair, if I didn't think Cap was in the moral/factual right of the matter; then I would do what you did. Act like nothing has changed and kick the ass of whoever Tony sent after me.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Which is why I find it amoral, but setting aside amorality, it is foundationally stupid to try to command powered people to do things against their will.

Not if you have other powered people to keep them in line. Seriously, they'd be no different from fire fighters, police officers or soldiers.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kgb725

@stormphoenix: the xmen generally don't interact with other superheros usually I could see Sue Richards scolding them

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: My point is that Nitro is a wild card that you just can't prepare for. Wolverine tracked him down, and no one could say Wolverine is poorly trained, yet there was nothing he could do to stop Nitro from blowing him the hell up.

I agree that the event should have been a wake up call for the big time heroes to double down on training the less experienced heroes, kind of like what Xavier did for mutants, but the moment Tony sided with the Government to treat powered people like objects; it became about Freedom vs Temporary Security. In that discussion I take freedom every time.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Right I know that, but some of the New Warrior where mutants.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: How did having powered people working with the Government to keep their fellow heroes in line work out? Oh yes Civil War. The fracture from that lead to the Skrull taking advantage of the mistrust and ultimately Tony being ousted to be replaced by Norman with the Dark Avengers. Definitely more peaceful than before.....

Also you are missing the fact they wouldn't have a choice in the matter; unlike firefighters and police officers. That is what we call slavery.