Marvel better Not Relaunch

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RUKM

I don't want to go through the whole ordeal of new books and discontinued favorites.

DC beat them to the punch.

Period.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Marvel could use a good overall reboot - as long as it's NOT influenced by any of the movies.

kitsokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kitsokk

They better just reboot the avengers(that comic sucks). Leave wolverine and x-men, amazing spider-man, uncanny x-men, daredevil and punisher alone I'm really enjoy this titles.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

If it would eliminate Siege and Fear Itself I'm all for it.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Marvel needs a reboot way more than DC did. Marvel have lost their way, whereas by rebotting, DC lost it. 

RUKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RUKM

Maybe not a complete reboot maybe spring cleaning and revamps?

No first issues.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By viin

they just need to plan a time to release an origin story of each character so people know where to start

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adnan

They're making more money than DC overall though, I can't see any reason why they would do something like that.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need for a reboot. Just revamp a proper roster of Avengers, and keep them that way for at least a decade before trying to think outside the box.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocFatalis

If only they could undo or obliterate a number of very stupid and meaningless events, such as resurrecting Aunt May, turning Frank Castle into a monster thanks to some magic-my-ass stone, giving Hercule cosmic powers, starting a completely irrational war between the X men and the Avengers, forgetting the existence of the Eternals etc...

Somebody from the editorial line just saying :"ok, these were major mistakes, we apologize, let's just say it never happened" would instantly become my favourite editorial line guy.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Strider1992

Imo Marvel needed a reboot a lot more than DC but having said that i'm not sure its the best way to go. Something definitely needs to change though so it can wipe out a few really bad ideas *cough*one more day*cough* (not opposed to Spider-man losing his marriage just the whole deal with the devil was a stupid way to do it) but I don't think rebooting the franchise will help.

Main thing I miss about Marvel atm is the titles that have a solid story that aren't connected to another book. Everyone is a fricking Avenger now its just pointless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@DocFatalis said:

If only they could undo or obliterate a number of very stupid and meaningless events, such as resurrecting Aunt May, turning Frank Castle into a monster thanks to some magic-my-ass stone, giving Hercule cosmic powers, starting a completely irrational war between the X men and the Avengers, forgetting the existence of the Eternals etc...

Somebody from the editorial line just saying :"ok, these were major mistakes, we apologize, let's just say it never happened" would instantly become my favourite editorial line guy.

QFT

mervotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mervotron

Yeah I wouldn't want Marvel to do a relaunch. A retcon on some stories is fine, but the whole relaunching thing from DC is why I have never honestly gotten to invested in their comics, even though I have a few favourite DC characters.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm not against a relaunch.

...Or they could pull a 180 and make it so that all the bad stories (Siege, Fear Itself, etc.) be turned into elseworld stories, thus making them completely irrelevant, yet enjoyable to the kids that read them. That'd be awesome.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

@royale_with_cheese said:

No need for a reboot. Just revamp a proper roster of Avengers, and keep them that way for at least a decade before trying to think outside the box.

Marvel has been doing too much outside the box thinking, outside the box sucks for them. They need to go back in the box and see if there are any more good ideas left. Remember way back when they had good events?

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By feargalr

I can't see Marvel doing it any time soon. Is there any reason this thread was started now or is this just a guy starting up a good auld conversation?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Maybe they should stop doing these .1 issues every couple of months.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Marvel needs a reboot way more than DC did. Marvel have lost their way, whereas by rebotting, DC lost it.

What people really want is a reboot of Marvel's staff. Their continuity is fine. :P

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123

Besides, Marvel's not gonna relaunch... because their books are actually selling.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't happen, they practically have already, the following titles are all less than a year old

• Daredevil
  • Punisher
  • Avenging Spiderman
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Winter Soldier
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Thor

Venom, FF, Avengers, New Avengers and Uncanny X-Force are only two years old. Only long standing titles now are ASM, couple of X-Men books, Fantastic Four and some more obscure stuff like Journey into Mystery.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@inferiorego said:

Maybe they should stop doing these .1 issues every couple of months.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

What people really want is a reboot of Marvel's staff. Their continuity is fine. :P

These.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Won't happen, they practically have already, the following titles are all less than a year old

• Daredevil
  • Punisher
  • Avenging Spiderman
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Winter Soldier
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Captain America
  • Thor

Venom, FF, Avengers, New Avengers and Uncanny X-Force are only two years old. Only long standing titles now are ASM, couple of X-Men books, Fantastic Four and some more obscure stuff like Journey into Mystery.

Exactly.

They've been doing a stealth relaunch this entire time.

Avatar image for amazingfantasy15
AmazingFantasy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AmazingFantasy15

I think they should revamp Avengers, put in a clear cut team and get rid of certain events like one more day and fear itself from the continuity.

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yai_Inn

There was a video on comicvine awhile back with Scott Snyder where he talks about writing a Batman issue on a plane and getting into a conversation with the guy sitting next to him. Basically the guy said he used to read comics but doesn't any more because he's missed so much and doesn't know where to start. A relaunch offers old fans who've been away from comics the opportunity to get involved once again without feeling like they need to catch up or are missing out.

Furthermore all new fans have a starting place. I think this is where DC's relaunch has really taken advantage. In the past decade there have been tons of superhero films made (I want to say that Marvel has made most of them). If someone new to comics likes the film and wants to start reading I feel that they will start at an easy starting place rather than with a long continuity of a hero (even if that is the same hero they watched in theatres). Lets just say a teenager who is unfamiliar with comics went and saw Captain America and really enjoyed it and now wants to start reading issues. At the local comic store said teenager finds out that Captain America is currently in a whack load of titles and a huge cross-over containing most of Marvel. It is far easier for the new reader to pick up the new Superman and read the last 6 issues and be entirely caught up.

No doubt Marvel's films are making a ton of money and that's why they continue to make them, but I feel that their comic books are not reaping the rewards of these films. Now I know some will say that films do not lead to more readers, but January sales had 5 titles over 100,000 (which is unheard of) so it is obvious that comic sales are doing very well now. I feel DC's relaunch has offered new and old readers a like the opportunity to get involved. Additionally Marvel continues to out-sell DC largely because they charge more for their comics.