• 107 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

"In a new interview, Millar blasts the entire idea of a Justice League adaptation as “an excellent way of losing $200 million,” thanks to the “disastrous” logistics of team members like Green Lantern, Aquaman, and The Flash, not to mention the fact that all of the characters have been around for decades. Apparently he’s had quite the change of heart since last summer, when he "gushed that he’d heard Will Beall‘s script was “dark and mature.” Hit the jump to read his comments.

Millar laid out his arguments in a conversation with SciFiNow (via Bleeding Cool). “I actually think the big problem for them is the character are just too out of date,” he told the publication. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.” It’s an odd crack for him to make, seeing as the X-Men and Fantastic Four themselves are about five decades old. Both Marvel and DC have reinvented their core characters multiple times over the years, to continued success.

But it’s not just Superman’s age that’s bugging Millar. The comic book writer then continued with some character-specific grievances. Here he is on Green Lantern:

I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

And The Flash:

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

And Aquaman:

Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

I took this from some random website, it's on the web just google it if you want to find it. so, what do you guys think?

Im sorry if this was already posted somewhere

and is it just me or does Mark Millar know very little of DC characters???

#2 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Touché...

#3 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Touché...

touche what?

#4 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Touché...

touche what?

That guy is ignorant as hell.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33634 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v seen many pepole on this site say the same thing

#6 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman cant talk under water?

#7 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

@Jorgevy said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Touché...

touche what?

That guy is ignorant as hell.

ah I see. yeah true that. that remark about the Rogues, LOL

#8 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

The reasons Millar has spent almost his entire career at Marvel is becoming readily apparent. He doesn't seem to know, understand, or really even like any of the JLA characters. The characters being as old as they are has no bearing on their modern relevance. They're continuously being adapted and revamped to suit the audience of the era. Captain America's nearly as old as Superman and Batman and Millar didn't say a word against him. Hell, King Arthur has been around for centuries and we still get new adaptations of him.

When you talk the way Millar does about these characters, you can make any character sound lame and unfilmable.

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I had no idea Miller was such a great comedian, I mean he has to be joking right? He can't be serious that's for sure

#10 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

With today's advanced ways of doing special effects, Flash and Green Lantern can potentially be awesome. Now, that didn't happen with Green Lantern. A movie still needs more than good character. (FWIW, I don't think Green Lantern was as bad a movie as most do, but I'll concede it wasn't the best effort.) And what's wrong with Flash's costume? Is it any worse than Loki's was in The Avengers. Heck, is it any more dated than Thor's? (And I like Thor's character design.)

Online
#11 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

#12 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, im kind of surprised by this is coming from the guy who wrote Red Son. He sounds like a very immature 12 year old Marvel Fanboy in this(no offense to the mature marvel fanboys).

#13 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

I...

I'm willing to hold off judgement. While I disagree with him that the DC heroes cannot be put on screen... yeah, past history is showing that to be kinda true. If Man of Steel fails, he's proven right. I want Man of Steel to be good; Green Lantern sucked. Of MoS is bad, then we're not seeing anything from DC for a very long time.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

#16 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

Ironic given the last movie he helped make was a comedy that was tripping over itself desperately trying to be funny.

#17 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

@Jorgevy said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Touché...

touche what?

That guy is ignorant as hell.

I think he went a little bit far with those statements

#18 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Liefeld hack Millar's account?

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor has been around for a few Thousand years and I didn't hear anyone complaining about his age when his movie came out

#20 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

"In a new interview, Millar blasts the entire idea of a Justice League adaptation as “an excellent way of losing $200 million,” thanks to the “disastrous” logistics of team members like Green Lantern, Aquaman, and The Flash, not to mention the fact that all of the characters have been around for decades. Apparently he’s had quite the change of heart since last summer, when he "gushed that he’d heard Will Beall‘s script was “dark and mature.” Hit the jump to read his comments.

Millar laid out his arguments in a conversation with SciFiNow (via Bleeding Cool). “I actually think the big problem for them is the character are just too out of date,” he told the publication. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.” It’s an odd crack for him to make, seeing as the X-Men and Fantastic Four themselves are about five decades old. Both Marvel and DC have reinvented their core characters multiple times over the years, to continued success.

But it’s not just Superman’s age that’s bugging Millar. The comic book writer then continued with some character-specific grievances. Here he is on Green Lantern:

I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

And The Flash:

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

And Aquaman:

Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

I took this from some random website, it's on the web just google it if you want to find it. so, what do you guys think?

Im sorry if this was already posted somewhere

and is it just me or does Mark Millar know very little of DC characters???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

#21 Posted by MB25 (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt it obvious? Millar's imagination is very limited. He can"t think outside the box. I actually feel sorry for him.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

His argument here is pretty much the same as every teenager that has ever refused to listen to a song from before they were born.

#23 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

He's just pissed that he did not have his way with WW in the 90's

#24 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

I...

I'm willing to hold off judgement. While I disagree with him that the DC heroes cannot be put on screen... yeah, past history is showing that to be kinda true. If Man of Steel fails, he's proven right. I want Man of Steel to be good; Green Lantern sucked. Of MoS is bad, then we're not seeing anything from DC for a very long time.

I REALLY want the Teen Titans to be given a chance though :(

They're "young" and "Hip"................................They'd be fun...................Why has DC sucked so hard with live action movies, while STUNNING the hell out of me with their animated films?

Weird as this may sound, I don't think they have to have an "origins" movie anymore......I think they could get away with assuming that we know who the characters are, just like the animated films do. The dialogue in JLU, for instance? WONDERFUL. It'd need to be graphically up to par, but I think they are absolutely stomping Marvel with their animated brilliance.

#25 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

Origin movies are unnecessary. Leave them be. Unless you're going to do something amazing with the origin (Batman Begins), just make a good movie.

Moderator
#26 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

Did Liefeld hack Millar's account?

#27 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

What an idiot.

#28 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@Jorgevy said:

"In a new interview, Millar blasts the entire idea of a Justice League adaptation as “an excellent way of losing $200 million,” thanks to the “disastrous” logistics of team members like Green Lantern, Aquaman, and The Flash, not to mention the fact that all of the characters have been around for decades. Apparently he’s had quite the change of heart since last summer, when he "gushed that he’d heard Will Beall‘s script was “dark and mature.” Hit the jump to read his comments.

Millar laid out his arguments in a conversation with SciFiNow (via Bleeding Cool). “I actually think the big problem for them is the character are just too out of date,” he told the publication. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.” It’s an odd crack for him to make, seeing as the X-Men and Fantastic Four themselves are about five decades old. Both Marvel and DC have reinvented their core characters multiple times over the years, to continued success.

But it’s not just Superman’s age that’s bugging Millar. The comic book writer then continued with some character-specific grievances. Here he is on Green Lantern:

I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

And The Flash:

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

And Aquaman:

Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

I took this from some random website, it's on the web just google it if you want to find it. so, what do you guys think?

Im sorry if this was already posted somewhere

and is it just me or does Mark Millar know very little of DC characters???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Millar is trying to help here I think but he should realize its hopeless

#29 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar is over-rated, seriously. Most of his comics are trashy pop-corn reads. Fun, but no substance.

#30 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Yeah cause they're old is a totally valid argument against quality. That Van Gough guy's paintings are like ancient we should totally toss them out and replace them with memes

#32 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

And this is the guy whos apparently a huge Superman fanboy who even wrote the animated series ongoing back in the late 90's because he wanted to write Superman so badly.

#33 Edited by TheHulk (808 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe puny Miller think Justice League movie would be rip-off of Avengers. Hulk honestly can't say Hulk disagree. Avengers very successful, so Hulk think only reason JL would be made is to cash in.

#34 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHulk: That's an interesting point and that may be the reason they're making a JL movie, but if that's what Millar meant he could have said it. As it is he sounds like a teenager that dislikes anything that isn't new and edgy.

#35 Posted by SmashBrawler (5823 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Millar is suffering from the same brain disease that has been afflicting Frank Miller from years now.

Hmm... must be in the name. "Miller/Millar Syndrome", sounds about right.

#36 Posted by TheHulk (808 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

@TheHulk: That's an interesting point and that may be the reason they're making a JL movie, but if that's what Millar meant he could have said it. As it is he sounds like a teenager that dislikes anything that isn't new and edgy.

Hulk never knew who Mark Millar is anyway.

#37 Posted by ENGLENTINE (451 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason why DC has a hard time with live movies?

They are produced by WB.

I worked in a movie theater long enough to know WB cares more about a marketable actor than the right one for the job. They have no balls when it comes to The heroes in the DC stable. They will always fall to the lowest common denominator.

#38 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@turoksonofstone: Yeah cause they're old is a totally valid argument against quality. That Van Gough guy's paintings are like ancient we should totally toss them out and replace them with memes

Old is best indeed. I think he was trying to stress the difficulty each character presents to a filmmaker and that each should be thoroughly "fleshed out" before undertaking a task like creating a successful JLA film. He didn't say he thought it could not be done just that something WILL go wrong with this movie as it is now.

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

#39 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, these comments are more for the showmanship than anything else. Don't take it too seriously.

#40 Posted by TheHulk (808 posts) - - Show Bio

@ENGLENTINE said:

The reason why DC has a hard time with live movies?

They are produced by WB.

I worked in a movie theater long enough to know WB cares more about a marketable actor than the right one for the job. They have no balls when it comes to The heroes in the DC stable. They will always fall to the lowest common denominator.

They no have hard time with Batman, but why others?

I mean, Hulk wait too long for good Wonder Woman movie.

#41 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5471 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

This
#42 Posted by TheHulk (808 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon said:

@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

This

Uh. HELLO? What about the original Superman with the John Willaims score?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)#Release

And the Batman trilogy obviously.

#43 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHulk said:

@WaveMotionCannon said:

@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

This

Uh. HELLO? What about the original Superman with the John Willaims score?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)#Release

And the Batman trilogy obviously.

Get that garbage outta here, Hulk.

Obviously Batman, he's been carrying their film franchise for over 20 years.

#44 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh.... Some people use to say the same thing about the Avengers, and then some guy came along and wrote the Ultimates. Which breathed new life in to that franchise. Eventually it lead up to a movie that made a billion dollars...... Who was that guy who wrote the Ultimates? What was his name? ........Oh Yeah! Mark Millar!

#45 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21972 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

Ironic given the last movie he helped make was a comedy that was tripping over itself desperately trying to be funny.

what movie was that?

#46 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman: Kick-Ass.

#47 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

Ironic given the last movie he helped make was a comedy that was tripping over itself desperately trying to be funny.

what movie was that?

@Decoy Elite said:

@AllStarSuperman: Kick-Ass.

FACT: Kick-Ass was/is a better film than ANY of the Batman films. Screw the box office results. lol at true believers.

#48 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: I respectfully disagree. I did not enjoy that film.

#49 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21972 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@AllStarSuperman: Kick-Ass.

oh im stupid, you dont like Kick ass? its my favorite movie?

@turoksonofstone: Kick is the best film ever its my favorite.

#50 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman: I didn't like it. At all.