• 107 results
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jorgevy

"In a new interview, Millar blasts the entire idea of a Justice League adaptation as “an excellent way of losing $200 million,” thanks to the “disastrous” logistics of team members like Green Lantern, Aquaman, and The Flash, not to mention the fact that all of the characters have been around for decades. Apparently he’s had quite the change of heart since last summer, when he "gushed that he’d heard Will Beall‘s script was “dark and mature.” Hit the jump to read his comments.

Millar laid out his arguments in a conversation with SciFiNow (via Bleeding Cool). “I actually think the big problem for them is the character are just too out of date,” he told the publication. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.” It’s an odd crack for him to make, seeing as the X-Men and Fantastic Four themselves are about five decades old. Both Marvel and DC have reinvented their core characters multiple times over the years, to continued success.

But it’s not just Superman’s age that’s bugging Millar. The comic book writer then continued with some character-specific grievances. Here he is on Green Lantern:

I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

And The Flash:

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

And Aquaman:

Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

I took this from some random website, it's on the web just google it if you want to find it. so, what do you guys think?

Im sorry if this was already posted somewhere

and is it just me or does Mark Millar know very little of DC characters???

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Touché...

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jorgevy

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Touché...

touche what?

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jorgevy said:

Touché...

touche what?

That guy is ignorant as hell.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'v seen many pepole on this site say the same thing

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Fallen_Crippled

Aquaman cant talk under water?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jorgevy

@Jorgevy said:

Touché...

touche what?

ah I see. yeah true that. that remark about the Rogues, LOL

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By roboadmiral

The reasons Millar has spent almost his entire career at Marvel is becoming readily apparent. He doesn't seem to know, understand, or really even like any of the JLA characters. The characters being as old as they are has no bearing on their modern relevance. They're continuously being adapted and revamped to suit the audience of the era. Captain America's nearly as old as Superman and Batman and Millar didn't say a word against him. Hell, King Arthur has been around for centuries and we still get new adaptations of him.

When you talk the way Millar does about these characters, you can make any character sound lame and unfilmable.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

LOL I had no idea Miller was such a great comedian, I mean he has to be joking right? He can't be serious that's for sure

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

With today's advanced ways of doing special effects, Flash and Green Lantern can potentially be awesome. Now, that didn't happen with Green Lantern. A movie still needs more than good character. (FWIW, I don't think Green Lantern was as bad a movie as most do, but I'll concede it wasn't the best effort.) And what's wrong with Flash's costume? Is it any worse than Loki's was in The Avengers. Heck, is it any more dated than Thor's? (And I like Thor's character design.)

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Decoy Elite

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eternal19

Wow, im kind of surprised by this is coming from the guy who wrote Red Son. He sounds like a very immature 12 year old Marvel Fanboy in this(no offense to the mature marvel fanboys).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I...

I'm willing to hold off judgement. While I disagree with him that the DC heroes cannot be put on screen... yeah, past history is showing that to be kinda true. If Man of Steel fails, he's proven right. I want Man of Steel to be good; Green Lantern sucked. Of MoS is bad, then we're not seeing anything from DC for a very long time.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AtPhantom

@Decoy Elite said:

Miller is an idiot if he honestly thinks movies can only be good if they're dark and edgy.

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Decoy Elite

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

He's Mark Millar. He's so far up dark and edgy I'm surprised he hasn't developed night vision yet.

Ironic given the last movie he helped make was a comedy that was tripping over itself desperately trying to be funny.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Jorgevy said:

Touché...

touche what?

I think he went a little bit far with those statements

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gravitypress

Did Liefeld hack Millar's account?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

Thor has been around for a few Thousand years and I didn't hear anyone complaining about his age when his movie came out

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By turoksonofstone

@Jorgevy said:

"In a new interview, Millar blasts the entire idea of a Justice League adaptation as “an excellent way of losing $200 million,” thanks to the “disastrous” logistics of team members like Green Lantern, Aquaman, and The Flash, not to mention the fact that all of the characters have been around for decades. Apparently he’s had quite the change of heart since last summer, when he "gushed that he’d heard Will Beall‘s script was “dark and mature.” Hit the jump to read his comments.

Millar laid out his arguments in a conversation with SciFiNow (via Bleeding Cool). “I actually think the big problem for them is the character are just too out of date,” he told the publication. “The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they’re in a really weird time.” It’s an odd crack for him to make, seeing as the X-Men and Fantastic Four themselves are about five decades old. Both Marvel and DC have reinvented their core characters multiple times over the years, to continued success.

But it’s not just Superman’s age that’s bugging Millar. The comic book writer then continued with some character-specific grievances. Here he is on Green Lantern:

I adored the DC stuff growing up but really, how do you do a movie about Green Lantern? His power is that he manifests green plasma from his imagination and uses them as weapons against someone? Even that in itself if you just imagine then watching a fight scene with a guy who’s like a hundred feet away making plasma manifestations fight someone – it’s not exactly raucous, getting up close and personal.

And The Flash:

The Flash has door handles on the side of his mask and if he doesn’t wear that mask, I’ll be pissed off, you know what I mean? They’re in a weird, weird situation – if you’ve got a guy who moves at the speed of light up against the Weather Wizard and Captain Cold or whatever, then your movie’s over in two seconds.

And Aquaman:

Aquaman can’t even talk under water. If you think about it in comics it’s fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talking telepathically? Is it going to be body forms?

To sum up, “The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million.” Ouch."

I took this from some random website, it's on the web just google it if you want to find it. so, what do you guys think?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MB25

Isnt it obvious? Millar's imagination is very limited. He can"t think outside the box. I actually feel sorry for him.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

His argument here is pretty much the same as every teenager that has ever refused to listen to a song from before they were born.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rumble Man

He's just pissed that he did not have his way with WW in the 90's

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@JediXMan said:

I...

I'm willing to hold off judgement. While I disagree with him that the DC heroes cannot be put on screen... yeah, past history is showing that to be kinda true. If Man of Steel fails, he's proven right. I want Man of Steel to be good; Green Lantern sucked. Of MoS is bad, then we're not seeing anything from DC for a very long time.

I REALLY want the Teen Titans to be given a chance though :(

They're "young" and "Hip"................................They'd be fun...................Why has DC sucked so hard with live action movies, while STUNNING the hell out of me with their animated films?

Weird as this may sound, I don't think they have to have an "origins" movie anymore......I think they could get away with assuming that we know who the characters are, just like the animated films do. The dialogue in JLU, for instance? WONDERFUL. It'd need to be graphically up to par, but I think they are absolutely stomping Marvel with their animated brilliance.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@White Mage:

Origin movies are unnecessary. Leave them be. Unless you're going to do something amazing with the origin (Batman Begins), just make a good movie.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KnightRise

@gravitypress said:

Did Liefeld hack Millar's account?

Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Bushwhacker_

What an idiot.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By turoksonofstone

@turoksonofstone said:

@Jorgevy said:

And The Flash:

And Aquaman:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Millar is trying to help here I think but he should realize its hopeless

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By John Valentine

Millar is over-rated, seriously. Most of his comics are trashy pop-corn reads. Fun, but no substance.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshmightbe

@turoksonofstone: Yeah cause they're old is a totally valid argument against quality. That Van Gough guy's paintings are like ancient we should totally toss them out and replace them with memes

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#32  Edited By MatKrenz

And this is the guy whos apparently a huge Superman fanboy who even wrote the animated series ongoing back in the late 90's because he wanted to write Superman so badly.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheHulk

Maybe puny Miller think Justice League movie would be rip-off of Avengers. Hulk honestly can't say Hulk disagree. Avengers very successful, so Hulk think only reason JL would be made is to cash in.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By roboadmiral

@TheHulk: That's an interesting point and that may be the reason they're making a JL movie, but if that's what Millar meant he could have said it. As it is he sounds like a teenager that dislikes anything that isn't new and edgy.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SmashBrawler

Looks like Millar is suffering from the same brain disease that has been afflicting Frank Miller from years now.

Hmm... must be in the name. "Miller/Millar Syndrome", sounds about right.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHulk

@roboadmiral said:

@TheHulk: That's an interesting point and that may be the reason they're making a JL movie, but if that's what Millar meant he could have said it. As it is he sounds like a teenager that dislikes anything that isn't new and edgy.

Hulk never knew who Mark Millar is anyway.

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By ENGLENTINE

The reason why DC has a hard time with live movies?

They are produced by WB.

I worked in a movie theater long enough to know WB cares more about a marketable actor than the right one for the job. They have no balls when it comes to The heroes in the DC stable. They will always fall to the lowest common denominator.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By turoksonofstone

@joshmightbe said:

@turoksonofstone: Yeah cause they're old is a totally valid argument against quality. That Van Gough guy's paintings are like ancient we should totally toss them out and replace them with memes

Old is best indeed. I think he was trying to stress the difficulty each character presents to a filmmaker and that each should be thoroughly "fleshed out" before undertaking a task like creating a successful JLA film. He didn't say he thought it could not be done just that something WILL go wrong with this movie as it is now.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By reignmaker

Meh, these comments are more for the showmanship than anything else. Don't take it too seriously.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheHulk

@ENGLENTINE said:

The reason why DC has a hard time with live movies?

They are produced by WB.

I worked in a movie theater long enough to know WB cares more about a marketable actor than the right one for the job. They have no balls when it comes to The heroes in the DC stable. They will always fall to the lowest common denominator.

They no have hard time with Batman, but why others?

I mean, Hulk wait too long for good Wonder Woman movie.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

I though it was nice of him to try to help DC out. Flash is a ridiculously difficult character to bring to the big screen, plus not only Flash but other members haven't been handled properly. The only good Superman films are animated, Wonder Woman can't get off the ground, Manhunter and Cyborg are not big enough for solos. It's all been on Batman to keep DC afloat.

DC is taking a huge risk just throwing heroes together for JL, Marvel showed them how it is done.

This
TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheHulk

@WaveMotionCannon said:

@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

This

Uh. HELLO? What about the original Superman with the John Willaims score?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)#Release

And the Batman trilogy obviously.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43  Edited By Xanni15

@TheHulk said:

@WaveMotionCannon said:

@Xanni15

Where did he trash it?

This

Uh. HELLO? What about the original Superman with the John Willaims score?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)#Release

And the Batman trilogy obviously.

Get that garbage outta here, Hulk.

Obviously Batman, he's been carrying their film franchise for over 20 years.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By judasnixon

Huh.... Some people use to say the same thing about the Avengers, and then some guy came along and wrote the Ultimates. Which breathed new life in to that franchise. Eventually it lead up to a movie that made a billion dollars...... Who was that guy who wrote the Ultimates? What was his name? ........Oh Yeah! Mark Millar!

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Decoy Elite said:

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Ironic given the last movie he helped make was a comedy that was tripping over itself desperately trying to be funny.

what movie was that?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Decoy Elite

@AllStarSuperman: Kick-Ass.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By turoksonofstone

@AllStarSuperman said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@AtPhantom said:

@Decoy Elite said:

what movie was that?

@Decoy Elite said:

FACT: Kick-Ass was/is a better film than ANY of the Batman films. Screw the box office results. lol at true believers.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Decoy Elite

@turoksonofstone: I respectfully disagree. I did not enjoy that film.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Decoy Elite said:

oh im stupid, you dont like Kick ass? its my favorite movie?

@turoksonofstone: Kick is the best film ever its my favorite.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Decoy Elite

@AllStarSuperman: I didn't like it. At all.