• 51 results
jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jadenyuki02

comic books aren't beginner friendly. for example, i was reading teen titans (i think it was v3? feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). now i'm no comic book expert, i only read the comic because of my love for teen titans go. so i was reading it, and on the first page of an annual issue, they were already talking about an event that didn't happen in the teen titans comic. for those of you who don't know, they were talking about some sort of war (infinite crisis?) that took place in an entirely different comic, where some guy built an army of superman robots or something like that.

so i guess what i'm saying is, you won't follow the story of a comic book you're reading if you don't buy/look up what they are talking about in some of the pages. because the characters in comics have a habit of discussing events that took place in a comic outside of their own.

at least mangas can be followed if you start reading from chapter 1.

agree?

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Wah! Comics are hard! I'm too lazy to read back issues or a wiki! I don't know the continuity so it should be ignored!"

pfft

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jadenyuki02

@wrglfan2814:

how will a story be good if you don't understand what's going on or what they're talking about?

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's subjective you obvious alt

Who is the mod who hates manga and anime? I know there's a mod who hate anime/manga... is it you @saren if it is you saren BAN THE ALTERNATE ACCOUNT AND TROLL!!! Pretty please.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are the same thing

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x: Well, common sense would dictate that you apply yourself and find out what's going on. You're aware that there are hundreds of fantastic comic book series that are entirely self contained, right? Not all comics are about super heroes(thank god).

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

how will a story be good if you don't understand what's going on or what they're talking about?

then why don't you enter at one of the story arcs of manga instead of starting at the beginning ? because this reason is as lazy as it gets.

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenaughtytitan:

im not an alt... and please, i just want this discussion to be civil and troll free...

p.s please mods im not an alt, don't ban me.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x: Well this topic is stupid and subjective anyway, BAN HIM!

Jk... :P

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

@thenaughtytitan:

im not an alt... and please, i just want this discussion to be civil and troll free...

Whose alt are you again?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Outside_85
@snes9x said:

agree?

And how is that any different from reading a comic book?

If your example is meant to demonstrate the superiority of manga's over comicbooks, it was quite badly chosen. Annuals are (despite them often having a #1 on the cover) rarely the beginning of a series. What you did was effectively read an oversized #65 that didn't really fit into the main release schedule.

Aside that, I think you are holding one of the defining features of Marvel/DC comics against them here. In manga, from what I've seen, you have one book or character to describe and define one world or universe. Marvel and DC have built their universes around dozens of books that all take place within the same universe, so characters with as varied origins and setting like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and so on can all meet, fight, befriend and work together with one another.

Normally this is unintrusive and most books get by without mentioning the presence of other heroes and villains. Your example is a bit misleading, yes there was an Infinite Crisis (which was a company wide event where half a dozen Teen Titans died), but the Superman Robot appeared before the 3rd volume of Teen Titans in a story called Graduation Day (which killed off TT stalwart Donna Troy and longstanding member Omen), more of these robots showed up at a later date with less effect.
The point is that these events are significant to the team; Infinite Crisis killed off Superboy, shaping Robin and Wonder Girl for years to come while Graduation Day was the reason Teen Titans got going again for the 3rd volume.

How will a story be good if you dont know what they are talking about? Well that is both a problem and a boon for comics, but praise yourself lucky you have jumped into it during this age of the Internet where you can look up just about everything in comics with a few clicks.

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

comic books aren't beginner friendly. for example, i was reading teen titans (i think it was v3? feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). now i'm no comic book expert, i only read the comic because of my love for teen titans go. so i was reading it, and on the first page of an annual issue, they were already talking about an event that didn't happen in the teen titans comic. for those of you who don't know, they were talking about some sort of war (infinite crisis?) that took place in an entirely different comic, where some guy built an army of superman robots or something like that.

so i guess what i'm saying is, you won't follow the story of a comic book you're reading if you don't buy/look up what they are talking about in some of the pages. because the characters in comics have a habit of discussing events that took place in a comic outside of their own.

agree?

Then why the heck don't you read comics from chapter 1 too, then?

Comics can also be followed if you start reading from the beginning. There are things called "reading orders". Try them; they work. Manga is also confusing if you don't bother to read from the beginning.

I think your issue with comics are the interconnectivity, continuity, or crossover events in comics. Personally, I think those things are interesting and are things that comics have over manga. You never get to see Naruto crossover into Dragon Ball. And if you don't like complicated crossover events, there are many other comics that are self contained that you can try reading (New 52 Batman, Marvel Now Captain America).

So if you think about it, comics have both crossover events/shared universe, andself contained stories. Manga only has self contained stories. So, that's like 2-1, (in favor or comics).

So let me just restate one major point:

Your argument stating why you believe manga is better than comics is because comics have confusing storylines/crossover events. However, they are only confusing if you don't bother to read from chapter 1. So, it's very much your fault if you don't read from the beginning. Manga is also confusing if you don't start from chapter 1. If I read the latest copy of Shonen Jump, I would be confused as heck too. I mean, I might as well be able to say: Manga is confusing. I don't get what's going on. At least comics can be followed if you start reading from chapter 1.But I'm not, because I should have started from the beginning. And you should, too.

So, I don't want to be mean or anything, but I think that I just destroyed your argument.

PS: READING ORDERS.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Lol

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://i.imgur.com/71eFzte.gif

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees:

and why should i do such a thing? a manga's story is already packed into numbered volumes/chapters, it's silly to read chapter 100 knowing you haven't even read the first chapter. and if you read, say, chapter 10 of a manga, you aren't going to get confused if you already read it from the start. Plus, mangas are easily accessed through sites, so it's easier to follow.

comic books are the opposite of a manga. the stories are confusing (because some of the discussions takes place in another comic), difficult to follow (because stores from where i live only have mangas, very rarely can you see a comic book being sold and you can't access them through the internet). also, if you read a #1 comic, you'll still get confused unlike a chapter 1 manga.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kyrees

@snes9x said:

and why should i do such a thing? a manga's story is already packed into numbered volumes/chapters, it's silly to read chapter 100 knowing you haven't even read the first chapter. and if you read, say, chapter 10 of a manga, you aren't going to get confused if you already read it from the start. Plus, mangas are easily accessed through sites, so it's easier to follow.

comic books are the opposite of a manga. the stories are confusing (because some of the discussions takes place in another comic), difficult to follow (because stores from where i live only have mangas, very rarely can you see a comic book being sold and you can't access them through the internet). also, if you read a #1 comic, you'll still get confused unlike a chapter 1 manga.

because that is essentially what you are doing in comics. your argument pretty much says i'm lazy enough to find where a comic story arc begins so manga must be better where in reality, manga is luckier that it has weak people enforcing their hands on their products.

manga is more accessible to everyone because the japanese authors and their companies don't even try enforce or restrict their distribution online whereas online comics gets taken down easily by the big two for copyright reason. if manga had the same enforcing capability marvel and dc had, it won't even go out of japan.

also, it's your problem if you can't read chapter 1 comic easily than chapter 1 manga because they are essentially the same and in no way one is "easier" to read. in fact, if it weren't for translators, manga won't even go headway unlike comics

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

@kyrees:

1. Same thing goes for comics. Why would you read an issue that's part of a crossover event if you don't bother to read the first part. I mean, why? Why would you do such a thing?

2. That's not comics' fault. And is reading manga online even legal? Don't you have to pay to read an issue of Shonen Jump? Because, you definitely have to pay for a comic book. They aren't free. And don't even bother to argue that comics should be free, that's just plain stupid.

3. Prove it.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

@thenaughtytitan:

A good way to have a discussion and troll free thread is to not have such a troll title. You brought it on yourself.

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr_1030:

here are two quotes directly taken from the first issue of teen titans v3.

Martha Kent: "Clark went through the same thing in High School. Had a difficult time making friends. Always having to keep those secrets. It'll get better."

Superboy: "Watch the insults, Cadmus Labs grafted what they could of your DNA to human DNA when fhey conjured me up."

Now, what do these two quotes have in common? Yes, you won't understand what both characters mean if you don't read the comics these events have trasnpired on.

And that was the first issue of the comic. Confusing for a noob, huh?

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x: I don't see the problem. I think people would perfectly understand that. Some guy named "Clark" went through whatever Superboy went through when Clark was is high school. Supposedly, they both had a difficult time making friends and always had to keep some secret. And according to Superboy, Cadmus (specifically stated to be a lab) grafted what they could of something-DNA-whatever when they "conjured him up".

So, we clearly see that this Superboy is something different. Maybe even not human, because he was "conjured up" in some lab. And if you know anything about Superboy, that is very much true. And I bet that you get to see Superboy flying or doing something Kryptonian in the issue. Normal people would be able to understand. They'd be all like, "Oh! This kid is flying/lifting/(insert Kryptonian feat here). He said he was conjured up in some lab. He probably isn't human!". And that's pretty sufficient info.

If it was like:

Martha Kent: The Green Lanterns from Oa are fighting with the Parademons! Darkseid must have reached Earth! Blah blah blah...

Superboy: Don't worry! As long as there is no Kryptonite, my Kryptonian physiology will be able to help me fend off Smallville! Blah blah blah...

Then that would be confusing.

Masker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not all comics are about superheroes...

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the rustling is strong here

I don't know who's alt you are,but you've done a fine job rustling jimmies

9/10

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manga stomps

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I enjoy both Manga are much easier to get into.

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr_1030:

those words are used by people who don't particularly care for the story and are only reading because of the fight scenes/art, wouldn't you agree?

i mean, if a reader reads the story and just says what you posted, after reading those lines, then it simply means they don't care.

now, a reader who wants to understand and have no knowledge of what the various conversations of the characters in the story are having (like me), would pretty much ask himself:

"what was clarks life in high school?"

"what were these secrets he's keeping?"

"why can't he make friends?"

"who is clark?"

"kadmus labs?"

"so, this guy is a clone of superman? how and where did that happen?"

"who is superboy, anway? wheres robin? he sure as well wasn't in teen titans go."

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x: That's why you have to start from the beginning. Like read Superboy's origin (maybe you could find it in his first series), or Superman's origin (Man of Steel or Birthright, maybe). I mean, if I jump into the first chapter of the Chimera Ant arc of HunterXHunter, they might mention Nen. As a reader, I might be like, "What the heck is Nen supposed to be?". Well, I could either

a) Use the internet. It exists. I should definitely use it.

b) Read from the beginning. Something I suggested you do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jadenyuki02

@pr_1030:

impossible. those comics are archaic items at current times, how am i gonna be able to get my hands on those? specially since comic books here are scarce; only mangas are being sold in every store. and reading wikis about a character(s) online just so that you can understand their orign and story is a chore for me.

and like i said earlier, why are you going to begin in an arc you have not read and have no knowledge of? logicaly, any sane individual is going to start in the first chapter.

#1 comic isn't like a manga. just read my posts to know what im talking about.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By MasterKungFu

I see..........

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

impossible. those comics are archaic items at current times, how am i gonna be able to get my hands on those? specially since comic books here are scarce; only mangas are being sold in every store. and reading wikis about a character(s) online just so that you can understand their orign and story is a chore for me.

and like i said earlier, why are you going to begin in an arc you have not read and have no knowledge of? logicaly, any sane individual is going to start in the first chapter.

that's your only claim to manga is better but if manga were in the same situation comics are now, would you even praise manga ?

honestly, if availability is your only reason that manga is better than comics then it's pretty shallow one to begin with. now if you are talking about storylines or target audiences, you would have better arguments here.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGrayGhost

Pfft...lazy trolling

Step 1: download DC app( its free!)

Step 2: Register

Step 3: Buy batman 1-40

step 4: Enjoy better stories than any manga

Its not like the old days when your LCS didn't have issue 1 or were missing issues or whatever. Its also not like you have to even follow continuity . The Dark Knight Returns? 4 issue story , unrelated to anything. Still a great Batman story!

Also . make an effort. Back in the 90s, in superman comics, we had the triangle era, where you absolutely necessarily needed to buy 4 issues a month to understand what the hell was going. Identify this, and avoid such series if its too much for you

On the other hand , Daredevil , which rarely crossed over with anything at all is a solo title that has been consistently excellent since vol 2, for over 15 years now. Start with either vol 2 1 or vol 3 1 , or if you reaaly wanna get into the character , start with daredevil: man without fear, buy Daredevil visionaries : Frank Miller , and finish with Born Again. Voila! You already know about most of the major events upto vol 2

Buy smart. If you want post crisis batman for example read these in order

1. Batman Year One

2. The man who laughs

3. The long halloween

4. Dark victory

You have already reached Dick grayson as robin , and the establishment of his main rogues gallery with only 4 paperbacks

So...y'know make an effort rather than illegally reading poorly written and even more poorly drawn pulp thrash online

jadenyuki02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees

no they aren't so mangas are better.

@thegrayghost

i agree with you that it's illegal, but poorly written and poorly drawn pulp trash? is that your logical side talking or is it the nerd rage? because if it is; leave. i don't want anymore insults directed towards mangas in my topics.

are those issues digital or the real deal? and gee, wonder how much money those costs. some comic books are even more expensive than a ps3 game...

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You lost me at "because of my love for teen titans go"

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesh, this again. Comics aren't better than manga and manga isn't better than comics. They are basically the same thing, just tuned to their primary culture. Both offer good stories and bad, can have great art or something only a parent would post on their refrigerator. Whether you like it or not depends on what you want from the medium. Over on Giant Bomb, every so often a similar discussion emerges; JRPGs or Western RPGs. Be it Skyrim or Persona 4, they're both video games and both RPGs. How the player responds to the game depends on their personal tastes. Comics and manga are a 2D visual serialized stories. It would be better to argue over individual titles than the vast spectrum of a medium. Go read Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga and Alan Moore's V for Vendetta and then we can discuss which book is better. Arguing over which form of the same medium is better is fruitless.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x said:

yep convenience is your only argument. not even worth anymore expositions

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGrayGhost

@snes9x: Nerd rage? Ha ha nice one. No, it's simply because comics tell better stories imo, and *definitely * have better art

A regular digital comic costs between 2-4 USD

Honestly if your argument is " Im going to say manga are better because i can read them free illegally and comics suck because i refuse to spend money and actually read them loz", then I see no point in continuing this discussion

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell No. Comic Books rules, manga sucks

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snes9x: how is it that you expect to know everything in the first page?

If you're reading something that has back issues, why wouldn't you pick them up?

You're digging yourself a hole. Plus the whole right to left reading is honestly irrelevant

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Just read one-shots.

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of agree with the majority here, Manga isn't automatically better on the basis that it might be easier to get into. I've read a fair few Manga from start to finish, and still haven't been able to comprehend what might be going on. For example, Bleach beyond the Soul Society Arc confuses the hell out of me. That's not to say I don't enjoy Manga (Best Manga in my opinion? Currently One-Punch Man) but a fair amount of the Mangas I have read seem fairly confusing, even when read from issue 1.

Comics can suffer the same problem, but of the ones I have read that I didn't start on issue 1 I didn't find myself bemoaning the need to read the previous issues. As an example of this, I thought I'd give Secret Wars a read, and found myself curious on why Ultimate Reed Richards was a bad guy, but instead of refusing to pick up future issues, I went to a wiki. It's a little bit like tangential learning.

Comics do have certain... problems, I will admit. DC's initial New 52 thing of splitting up the story over different lines was kind of annoying, as it meant having to buy heaping amounts of comics to get the full picture. Now, with Convergence, there's a singular, easier to follow story with a series of additional side stories based on secondary characters within that arc.

In short? It can be annoying but it isn't impossible to remedy, and a lot of stories that occur in much older issues will be rebooted/remastered/resold so they can be accessible again. (For The Man Who Has Everything is definitely one of my favourite Superman stories, and that not only got done in the JLU cartoon, but can also be found in the Alan Moore DC anthology, along with things like Killing Joke.)

PR_1030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PR_1030
@snes9x said:

@pr_1030:

1. I already stated that that isn't the fault of comic books. That's just like me saying, "Hey, they don't sell manga here! How can I read manga then? Manga sucks!". Also, you seem to be fine illegally reading manga, so why are you not fine illegally reading comics? I'm definitely not telling you to (because it's wrong to read both comics and manga illegally), but you can find all the comics you'll want to read to understand whatever you want to understand. And you even admit that reading manga is illegal here:

@snes9x said:

@kyrees

@thegrayghost

i agree with you that it's illegal, but poorly written and poorly drawn pulp trash? is that your logical side talking or is it the nerd rage? because if it is; leave. i don't want anymore insults directed towards mangas in my topics.

are those issues digital or the real deal? and gee, wonder how much money those costs. some comic books are even more expensive than a ps3 game...

I might as well say, "Manga sucks! I can't understand the story without reading the previous volumes! But they don't sell them here. And I can't read them online since that's illegal! Manga sucks!". You see? It's what you're saying, but I'm saying what you said about comics about manga this time. So what you think is sucky about comics, is also what is sucky about manga. So, don't try using that argument again.

2. That's your fault. That doesn't make comics bad. That makes you lazy.

3. That's not what you said to me. That's what I said to you. You say comics are confusing because you don't bother to read from the beginning. Well, I can say that manga is confusing because I didn't start from the beginning.

@snes9x said:

@pr_1030:

those words are used by people who don't particularly care for the story and are only reading because of the fight scenes/art, wouldn't you agree?

i mean, if a reader reads the story and just says what you posted, after reading those lines, then it simply means they don't care.

now, a reader who wants to understand and have no knowledge of what the various conversations of the characters in the story are having (like me), would pretty much ask himself:

"what was clarks life in high school?"

"what were these secrets he's keeping?"

"why can't he make friends?"

"who is clark?"

"kadmus labs?"

"so, this guy is a clone of superman? how and where did that happen?"

"who is superboy, anway? wheres robin? he sure as well wasn't in teen titans go."

And something very important I forgot to mention:

Do you really need to know all this stuff to enjoy the story? The title of the book is "Teen Titans", not "The Adventures and Origins of Superboy". Now, if this was Superboy's book, I may get your point. But it's not. Face it, the story is perfectly told without knowing all those irrelevant facts (concerning Teen Titans) because it's not a Superboy book, it's a Teen Titans book. You wanted to read Teen Titans? Well, that's what you're going to read. Not "The Adventures and Origins of Superboy". I mean, what else did you expect from the book?

Face it. Admit it. Accept it. Manga are not better than comics. And comics are not better than manga. They both tell amazing stories and are part of people's culture. However, you like manga more because you don't want to go through the effort of reading years and years of rich comic history, because apparently you want to know everything about a character when reading about them. You should not state that manga is better (because that's not true). And having that as an opinion is even stupider. You should just say, "I prefer manga." Let's not say that one is better than the other.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Chicken is better than beef.