#1 Edited by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

The question is: When Zod/Faora/Non first get to Earth, they already have super strength and speed. I assumed right away that they got these powers from their battle armor suits. But others here seem to think that they just got the full Superman-level powers immediately upon arriving on Earth. That doesnt make sense to me.

So, what do people think, did they have those powers because they were the normal Kryptonian powers that just went to full-on when they got to Earth, or were they the result of the powered-armor suits?

Why I think they were from the suits:

1. They were not surprised at all to have them when they arrived.

2. Faora and Zod didnt have X-Ray Vision or Heat Vision, at all, until the suit helmet was broken. This tells me that the suits did the same thing as the spaceship, it cancelled out the effects of the Sun/Earth on Kryptonians. If the suit was cancelling out the XRay/Heat vision, why not the other powers?

3. Kryptonians normally take some time for their powers to show up when in the yellow Sun.

4. Zod was the only one to show powers without the suit, and it was at the end of the movie after his helmet had been off for a while.

#2 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows you'd have to ask the writer or whoever because there isn't any proof that the armor did anything other than protect them from the environment and such. It was stated in the movie that Krypton had heavier gravity than earth so they may have had some type of stat increase also the kryptonians already knew they would gain powers on earth or any planet with a young sun. It couldn't have been a secret that only Jor-el knew about. Also Faora was KOed because of sensory overload when she lost her helmet so she gained her powers or whatever Zod wasn't the only one.

#3 Posted by dondave (38891 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Kyrpton has higher gravity that Earth, so the Kryptonians would be be stronger and be able to jump higher on Earth due to its lower gravity

#4 Posted by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows you'd have to ask the writer or whoever because there isn't any proof that the armor did anything other than protect them from the environment and such. It was stated in the movie that Krypton had heavier gravity than earth so they may have had some type of stat increase also the kryptonians already knew they would gain powers on earth or any planet with a young sun. It couldn't have been a secret that only Jor-el knew about. Also Faora was KOed because of sensory overload when she lost her helmet so she gained her powers or whatever Zod wasn't the only one.

@dondave said:

@willpayton: Kyrpton has higher gravity that Earth, so the Kryptonians would be be stronger and be able to jump higher on Earth due to its lower gravity

Being a little stronger because of the difference in gravity makes sense, but it'd only be a small increase.

I guess it makes sense that they'd know ahead of time about the power increase... so that explains why they'd know about the super strength or speed. But, it doesnt explain about why Zod didnt know why he all of a sudden had x-ray vision or super hearing. Wouldnt he know about that too?

I suppose it's possible that the helmet only blocked sensory input from getting in, and didnt actually suppress the Kryptonians abilities.

#5 Edited by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777 said:

@dondave said:

Being a little stronger because of the difference in gravity makes sense, but it'd only be a small increase.

I guess it makes sense that they'd know ahead of time about the power increase... so that explains why they'd know about the super strength or speed. But, it doesnt explain about why Zod didnt know why he all of a sudden had x-ray vision or super hearing. Wouldnt he know about that too?

I suppose it's possible that the helmet only blocked sensory input from getting in, and didnt actually suppress the Kryptonians abilities.

Idk I'm just throwing something out there with no proof at all lol. We really don't know how much of a difference in gravity Krypton had to earth.

#6 Edited by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

Their armor was essentially a spacesuit that withheld the Kryptonian atmosphere.......

I had assumed that their suits granted them enhanced abilities...this is why Jor-el puts on armor to combat Zod in the beginning of the movie.

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

Their armor was essentially a spacesuit that withheld the Kryptonian atmosphere.......

I had assumed that their suits granted them enhanced abilities...this is why Jor-el puts on armor to combat Zod in the beginning of the movie.

This was my initial thought as well. It's explain a lot, including why they can almost match Superman right away and why they can easily use those new abilities. Even if we assume that they'd know ahead of time about increased strength/speed, they probably would not be very skilled at using those abilities. But they get to Earth and are already fighting like they've been doing that forever.

Also, if the strength/speed was their own and not the suit... why no flight? The answer seems to be: because the suit didnt have flight capabilities.

#10 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

This was my initial thought as well. It's explain a lot, including why they can almost match Superman right away and why they can easily use those new abilities. Even if we assume that they'd know ahead of time about increased strength/speed, they probably would not be very skilled at using those abilities. But they get to Earth and are already fighting like they've been doing that forever.

Also, if the strength/speed was their own and not the suit... why no flight? The answer seems to be: because the suit didnt have flight capabilities.

I just presumed it was because the where hanging about around the moon and where able to absorb more radiation

#11 Posted by cfrehse (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything was enhanced even there reflexes. They can be 100 times faster but they also thing 100 times faster so they would have control fairly quickly considering they where disciplined warriors

#12 Edited by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the sun Zod even said it in the movie

#13 Posted by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

I just presumed it was because the where hanging about around the moon and where able to absorb more radiation

When they were approaching Earth they were in their spaceship, which shielded them from the effects of the Sun.

@z3ro180 said:

It was the sun Zod even said it in the movie

Then why couldnt they fly? Why were they able to perfectly use their abilities when they got to Earth?

#14 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by TheSpiritStalker (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

The suits were used in some way to effect (possibly limit) aspects of their new powers like x-ray vision and hearing. Zod only started flying when he took his suit off. Maybe it helped them control their powers.

#16 Edited by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

They couldn't fly because there body hadn't absorbed enough of the sun/atmosphere to do so, Superman himself couldn't fly until he was in his thirties........Zod being able to so in the end was a bit contrived....Unless you can make an argument that Superman just didn't focus enough until that point, and Zod only did so after he saw Superman do it. But still...it took Superman years to develop these abilities....the whole thing is just kind of sloppy writing tbh.

The sun may gave them abilities, but at the same time it had something to do with the atmosphere as well, that's why everything was wildly inconsistent. On the spaceship, when Lois turns off Kryptons atmosphere Superman regains his power, Lois can breathe, and the Kryptonians...aren't powerful at all, they are pretty normal, they only seemed to be strong on earth, so I guess they only could be strong with earths genuine atmosphere??

#17 Edited by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

It was very confusing about their powers and how their suits/ships work into the equation.

#18 Edited by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

They couldn't fly because there body hadn't absorbed enough of the sun/atmosphere to do so, Superman himself couldn't fly until he was in his thirties........Zod being able to so in the end was a bit contrived....Unless you can make an argument that Superman just didn't focus enough until that point, and Zod only did so after he saw Superman do it. But still...it took Superman years to develop these abilities....the whole thing is just kind of sloppy writing tbh.

I suppose that could be an explanation, but it's a stretch. If the movie had shown them weak at first and then getting stronger, even if it happened quickly... I'd buy it. But, as soon as they land they're all Superman-level strong and fast. Not just that, but they also developer X-Ray vision immediately as soon as they take off their helmet.

If the Sun and atmosphere game them abilities, then surely they wouldnt have those abilities while wearing the suits... which provided shielding from the Sun and its own self-contained atmosphere. If you think about it, it makes sense that the suits would do this, since presumably there were meant to allow them to fight in any conditions... in space, in worlds with a Red Sun, in other hostile environments, etc.

#19 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured the spacesuits inadvertently protected their senses.

#20 Posted by comicace3 (6585 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose that could be an explanation, but it's a stretch. If the movie had shown them weak at first and then getting stronger, even if it happened quickly... I'd buy it. But, as soon as they land they're all Superman-level strong and fast. Not just that, but they also developer X-Ray vision immediately as soon as they take off their helmet.

Thats what I am saying. It was just bad writing, or I am not understanding something. It took Clark likely years to manifest his abilities and Kryptonians develop them immediately....again, someone could say "they were bathing in the sun while revolving around earth" Which is untrue seeing as they didn't enter our galaxy until Clark activated the starship, and the Kryptonians didn't have any super powers when Lois activated the earths atmosphere on the ship.

If the Sun and atmosphere game them abilities, then surely they wouldnt have those abilities while wearing the suits... which provided shielding from the Sun and its own self-contained atmosphere. If you think about it, it makes sense that the suits would do this, since presumably there were meant to allow them to fight in any conditions... in space, in worlds with a Red Sun, in other hostile environments, etc.

Yeah, I don't know if the suits protected their bodies, in the Kryptonian atmosphere Lois didn't need a suit...just the mask. Also, it is said that Kryptonians are stronger on earth due to the gravitational field....so now that I think of it I think that is why they were probably so strong.

#23 Posted by WillPayton (9821 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no way that the difference in gravity would account for their kind of strength. Even if Krypton was as big compared to Earth as Earth is compared to the Moon, they'd only be about 6x the strength of humans. Also, that only applies to lifting or throwing things. You might be "stronger" on the Moon, but you cant hit any harder.

I do think the suits protected their bodies. Even though on Earth they didnt need it, most places in the universe are very hostile. Zero atmosphere, poisonous atmospheres, too low pressure, too high, radiation, etc.

#24 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no way that the difference in gravity would account for their kind of strength. Even if Krypton was as big compared to Earth as Earth is compared to the Moon, they'd only be about 6x the strength of humans. Also, that only applies to lifting or throwing things. You might be "stronger" on the Moon, but you cant hit any harder.

I do think the suits protected their bodies. Even though on Earth they didnt need it, most places in the universe are very hostile. Zero atmosphere, poisonous atmospheres, too low pressure, too high, radiation, etc.

I agree with you. As I said before...why else would Jor-el need his armor when fighting Zod?? The Kryptonians likely wear them to enhance themselves somehow, and perhaps in Earths atmosphere the battles suits were more potent. I guess it was the suits...Its all very confusing.

#25 Posted by ccraft (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton said:

Thats what I am saying. It was just bad writing, or I am not understanding something. It took Clark likely years to manifest his abilities and Kryptonians develop them immediately....again, someone could say "they were bathing in the sun while revolving around earth" Which is untrue seeing as they didn't enter our galaxy until Clark activated the starship, and the Kryptonians didn't have any super powers when Lois activated the earths atmosphere on the ship.

@willpayton said:

Yeah, I don't know if the suits protected their bodies, in the Kryptonian atmosphere Lois didn't need a suit...just the mask. Also, it is said that Kryptonians are stronger on earth due to the gravitational field....so now that I think of it I think that is why they were probably so strong.

God you guys act if you didn't even watch the movie, remember when John Kent told Clark that he needs to hide his ability, he wasn't practicing his abilities for 33 years, more like 2 years. And where Zod is a born soldier like he explained, he was able to master flying in a few minutes. I'ts not slobby writing, you guys just don't understand the movie go watch it again.

#26 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

God you guys act if you didn't even watch the movie, remember when John Kent told Clark that he needs to hide his ability, he wasn't practicing his abilities for 33 years, more like 2 years. And where Zod is a born soldier like he explained, he was able to master flying in a few minutes. I'ts not slobby writing, you guys just don't understand the movie go watch it again.

You completely missed the point of what we were talking about....and I am sure Clark just couldn't turn off his powers when his father told him to not use him, he obviously crushed the fence post unwillingly, so he was obviously using his powers for 30 years.

#27 Posted by ccraft (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: obviously not. You guys are just trying to over think it for no reason, it explained it pretty well.

#28 Edited by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@cattlebattle: obviously not. You guys are just trying to over think it for no reason, it explained it pretty well.

Uh...no. It wasn't......if you know please do explain...

#29 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a movie based on a comic book. Were you guys really expecting everything to be scientifically accurate

#30 Edited by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19 said:

Its a movie based on a comic book. Were you guys really expecting everything to be scientifically accurate

Nope...but there at least could of been consistency.

#31 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19 said:

Nope...but there at least could of been consistency.

Some of this stuff you just have to accept and they gave an explanation in the movie.

#32 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio