Man of Steel or The Winter Soldier

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@novi_homines: He has, you for whatever reason just won't admit it. And your wrong about Superman destroying a ton of building in the final fight with Zod, I know because I watched the movie yesterday, and before that a dozen times, Zod destroys one building with his heat vision, Zod destroys a parking lot building by throwing a big rig truck at it, Zod destroys a satellite, not once does Superman use his powers to destroy a building in the final fight.

Your honestly going to blame Superman for the actions of Zod based solely on him just being here? You need a better argument than that. It wasn't Superman's choice to be sent to Earth, nor was it to have the codex implanted in his DNA, Superman didn't realize he accidentally showed Zod how to get to Earth, Zod would have terraformed Earth into Krypton with or without Superman being there. And Superman could have let Zod destroy that ship that was heading to the World engine, he had the choice between the humans or kryptonians, and he chose humans. And to call again, Superman gave himself up to the humans, and let them decide whether to give him to Zod or not. That's pretty selfless right there.

If anything the humans will love Superman for saving that family when he killed Zod, and that whole thing about saving the world, but whatever.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

WS by a landslide. Its superior in every way.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@buttersdaman000: Because the other examples you mention are not strictly sentient in the slightest. Sun Eaters most certainly aren't so that's a fallacious example on your part. And Imperiex is a different matter altogether. It will always be a flaw and a disgrace to the character in my eyes whenever Superman takes sentient life. That's never changing ever. I can argue this all day, counter your examples and bring up countless times and written examples when Superman has refused to kill but I'm sick and tired of getting berated over the Internet for expecting Superman to be treated better than he was for MOS and acting better than he should do. If you all want Superman to snap everyone's necks, be my guest. For me, Superman's moral example is intrinsically linked with his no kill code status. When the psychologically unhinged Batman has more morals than Superman does, that's when something is truly wrong for absolutely certain.

And MOS had flaws in so many other areas that I could pick out, the killing was just the big one that I WILL not concede on. Superman does not kill and always finds another way. That may be black and white to you but to me, betraying his no kill code is a far greater crime than letting monsters live. Because MOS Superman has now become a monster, one I feel quite disgusted with quite frankly.

Sentient means able to feel and perceive...it doesn't have anything to do with thinking. So since sun eater can feel pain, like Doomsday, they are sentient. How is Imperiex a different matter? He killed him....along with Brainiac, and Doomsday (again). Why is that ignored? And yes, I know Superman refuses to kill in almost every situation, but you can't just write off the situations in which he has and then crucify MoS for doing the same. Also, no, I don't want Superman to start killing whenever he 'feels' he must. If he kills anymore in the movies, I'll be right there with you. But, this one time, and for the reasons he had, and the fact that it was Zod, i'm able to forgive and see the creative reasoning behind it. In my opinion it didn't break his character anymore then the other times he has killed or gone a more vigilante route. And Batman's morals are just as strong as Superman's IMO, he is just more lax on inflicting pain and fear.

So killing a genocidal monster to save billions of lives makes Superman a monster? So...Batman is a monster too, right?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WS by a landslide. Its superior in every way.

No Caption Provided

It is your opinion though.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth of the matter is that comic fans are used to deus ex machina crap that automatically pulls magic solutions out of thin air for every situation.

Exactly. I actually feel that if some random deus ex machine, like an unknown second phantom zone projector, or random kryptoninte had been introduced, a lot of the same people complaining about the killing would instead be complaining about bad writing. A lot of comic book style narrative does not translate well to film, especially the type of films DC is trying to make.

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Transformaa

If I can remember captain america was in a killing spree in the 1st 30 mins. Of the movie..sups kills one guy..at the very end of the movie and hell breaks open on his character actions..forreal everyone complaining about zod needs to end. .MOS had more action as well as a more inspirational motive..what more do you need from a superman movie? ..more love dialog? Better chemistry with sub actors..? Give me a break..people who complain about to much action in an action made movie just needs to stick to females movies..

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: so this guy must think he is ebert and roeper and can write and direct a better story than nolan, Zach and david..obviously since only his options matter about how a superman film should be displayed...smh

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: lol ...I swear I have repeated that like three times on this thread....he killed zod after he depowered zod on human levels on superman 2...I mean zod wasn't even a threat at that point...now that was no remorse...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@transformaa: No I just understand what Superman is about and how he should act. And that film was not inspirational in the slightest. It was one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen in my life. But what do you expect when your favourite character is butchered, deconstructed and torn apart in his character and morality on screen. If you don't understand my problems with the film then sorry, but you don't understand Superman in the slightest.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Because your view of Superman > anyone elses. The movie is polarizing but I know avid Superman fans who can sympathize with the characters plight. You really want the movie to be the exact same? Then just read the comic. Simple as that. In many ways it signifies what this Superman will do to preserve humanity. Hell I remember him killing 3 kryptonians pre 52 from an issue that's like over 2 years old. After that he made a vow...much like the one he'll make in the upcoming Superman/Batman and other Superman movies. If you honestly have to nitpick at one small event, you're letting your fandom cloud your mind.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Lvenger

@darthaznable: I'm not nitpicking the film, it has gaping flaws that cannot be helped but noticed. And no, I don't want the movie to be the same as the comic, I want the movie to respect the comics. Like the Marvel films do. And as for the scene you cite, that was exceptionally poor writing from Bryne. Superman kills the Pocket Universe Kryptonians who have already been depowered and are no longer a threat to the world, goes mad, exiles himself and thus follows a period of poor writing on Bryne's part for that sloppy mistake. Mark Waid wrote a good piece on how stupid and ridiculous that writing was. And the vow he'll make in the SM/BM will be devoid of meaning and a pathetic cop out in a thinly veiled attempt to give justification for Superman's no killing code when the code was already justifiable under its own merits. Superman should preserve humanity above all else but he should never do so by killing. It desecrates the morality of the character and makes his ethics seem baseless given that he's committed a terrible act already and stooped down to his villain's level. It's a sad excuse for Superman when people think his ethics are fine with him killing and ending life when Superman preserves life above all else. That's what Superman stands for and the movie's discarding of such values mean that their attempt to reintroduce them will be unjustifiable given what he's done in MOS. That's not just fandom talking, that's a genuine and serious flaw with the film when it fails to understand the main character and what he stands for.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: This is just me, but I really dislike that heroes aren't put into more impossible situations were they might have to kill or be killed, if a hero wants to stop a bad guy he has the ability to call stronger heroes for back-up, or prisons on Earth that could lock-up the likes of Superman, or could be trapped into the phantom zone, etc... What I really liked about Superman taking Zod's life to save that family is it shows he is willing to do anything to save the people of Earth. I used to think after that Superman would have a reason for his no-kill-policy, but you don't need to kill someone to learn killing is bad, so I think it would be redundant if Superman decided no more killing. Not that I would want to see Superman kill again in SvB.

You might not like MOS, but I do like it for it being grounded, realistic, dramatic, amazing, and even inspiring. Superman in the comics has the moral bar set soooooo godly high that no one could ever be that perfect, but in MOS the bar is lowered to a more reasonable height.

Going back to what I said before, I really, really enjoyed TDK Returns for that reason, Batman is on his own essentially and he's feed up with the Joker, so when he finally catches up to him, they have this big final fight were Batman almost dies. Batman then breaks Joker's neck, he doesn't kill him, but he almost does. He even says it himself, I think..., that he should have done that a long time ago. I'm especially tired of hearing Batman needs the Joker, as if he loves him, Batman looks upon Joker with nothing but disgust imo.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Lvenger

@ccraft: Then you're missing the point of Superman entirely. That's what I find to be the case with a lot of supporters of the Zod killing I'm afraid.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely Winter Soldier.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By ccraft

@lvenger: I like that Superman is the way he his in his comics, he's my second favorite character of all time, sure I'm lacking in the Superman section of my comic book collection, but I still like him. imo in MOS he's not far off from being that character that people could look up to in that universe, that's what I've been trying to say. He's going to be a beloved hero in the next film, there's no doubt about that.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Winter Soldeir: Cinematic Gold

Man of Steel: Kick to the balls

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I liked both, but neither lived quite to expectations for me.

Both had amazing villains, but Bucky didn't get nearly enough screen time. Both had strong visuals and good supporting casts. The beginning of Man of Steel is a little hazy, whereas TWS was very well defined all throughout.

I have plenty of complaints and compliments about both films, and it's hard to say which I liked better...

I'm gonna go with Man of Steel... but I like Superman a lot more than Captain America. I think Man of Steel gets way more negative flak than it deserves.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

Too many DC fanboys on CV. Oh and TWS completly punishes.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier by a small margin.

But, beteeen TFA and MOS (first film to first) MOS by a wide margin.

Avatar image for technobacon2014
TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie. I loved them both, I just can't choose.

On one hand, The Winter Solider was a Better Movie

On the other, I'm kind of a Superman Fanboy.

So, yeah it's a tie for me.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

liked man of steel more, but the winter solder was the better move.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both were good but I like WS more. MoS had good story and action but it was so serious it dragged to me, it felt like it was 1/2 hour too long. Btw I love the Zod neckbreak.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Tie. I loved them both, I just can't choose.

On one hand, The Winter Solider was a Better Movie

On the other, I'm kind of a Superman Fanboy.

So, yeah it's a tie for me.

Hahaha, i love your honesty!

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#229  Edited By Comicdude360

@technobacon2014: what a super man fan boy who will admit cause they know no one will judge. Omg it's the end.

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: ..They aren't making them to be the best adaptation ever. They're trying to appeal to the General Audience, not just us comic fans.

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By The_Kidd

CA:TWS but not by much, I can recall more of MoS than TWS.

MikeyJ122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWS owns MOS. MOS puts me to sleep.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWS

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Man of steel, by far.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man of steel .

TechnoBacon2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..Has anyone realized that Man of Steel completely Neglected Freeze Breath?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel by a decent margin. Not overwhelmingly, just a clear win for me.

I agree

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Hmmm...Superman's return to glory or the movie with the annoyingly obvious political social commentary? The movie about the guy everyone calls a boringly-invincible mary-sue, or the movie about the guy who actually is a boringly-invincible mary-sue? MAN OF MOTHERF*$%ING STEEL, BITCHES!

..Has anyone realized that Man of Steel completely Neglected Freeze Breath?

So did Young Justice.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#241  Edited By GraniteSoldier

MoS is a good movie, but Superman isn't really meant to be "dark and gritty" like that, from what I know of him at least (@lvenger I know is a pretty big Superman fan, or at least very knowledgeable, so maybe I'm wrong), so the tone of the film was off for me. Still, as a non-Superman fan I still enjoyed the film.

However, Winter Soldier is like Dark Knight where it is a good film that happens to feature comic characters. Sure it has it's flaws, but Winter Soldier is just a great film.

To put it in simple terms: I liked MoS, I loved Winter Soldier.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: Seriously, you miss the old costume but don't mind what Snyder did to Superman in this film?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

The Winter Soldier for me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Like I said, only 4 CB movies top MOS, and Winter Soldier isn't one of them.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Winter Soldier obliterates.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWS, by a mile.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy said:

I don't hate Man of Steel like some people but The Winter Soldier was just an incredible beast of a movie.

- TAS

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha.

TWS.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still need to buy both on Blu-Ray

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@captainmarvel4ever: What, made him less "perfect" and more "human"? (so-to-speak) Give him a compelling character arc?