• 67 results
#1 Edited by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Zack Snyder gave away an Easter Egg in an interview this week: if you remember the scene in the scout ship (fortress of solitude), he saw 4 chambers with dead Kryptonians in them, except one of them was opened. That was his nod to Kara Zor-El (Supergirl). Not necessarily an opening for a Supergirl appearance, but just an Easter Egg.

2. When the Bus flies off the freeway and into the River, they focus on a man getting out of his car to spectate. He sure looked a LOT like Ryan Reynolds.

3. When something happens where we get a close-up on a satellite (I forget what it was), you can see 'Wayne Enterprises' on it right before it gets destroyed. It's even the same logo design from the Nolan movies. (which was lifted from the comics, Snyder and Dark Knight/Man of Steel writer David Goyer has emphatically confirmed they're separate universes and Batman would be a complete reboot if he was in this one)

4. I don't think they can ever do a Justice League movie without retconning Superman's power. He was so obnoxiously unstoppable in this movie, it would be absolutely pointless to give him teammtes. They would just more people he'd need to save in the end.

5. The action scenes really were too much. Not too much action, but too faced paced, too much garbage going on. It reminded me of the Transformers movies where one greyish robot gets tangled up with another greyish robot and they roll around and destroy buildings and smoke is so thick and you're just thinking "I literally can't tell what's happening." There were some genuinely amazing and iconic action scenes that people will GIF for years to come. But there was a LOT of unnecessary filler action inbetween.

6. I have to agree with the 'not enough story/character development' reviews. The action was so thick and long-winded that I cherished each calm, character scene that happened in between. Whether it was Clark finding the scout ship or Lois meeting Jor-El... There simply weren't enough of them.

7. Overall, probably about the same as Iron Man 3. Good, solid summer blockbuster.

8. Oh man! I forgot! Even though they said he gets his power from the Sun's radiation, gravity, and the atmosphere, changing the atmosphere apparently complete sucks the power out of him. That was... a plot device just to make the ship scene more dramatic. And the World Engine I guess. I'm not feeling that one. But they did mention the Sun's radiation, so I guess they can fall back on that later....

9. Speaking of the sun, Krypton's was yellow. Clearly a yellow sun. Well, I guess it really was mostly about the atmosphere, then.

#2 Edited by jer121 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

After seeing this movie the only thing that comes to mind is that DC is trying to be like Marvel so bad it's not even funny.

#3 Posted by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

@jer121 said:

After seeing this movie the only thing that comes to mind is that DC is trying to be like Marvel so bad it's not even funny.

I actually got that impression for Green Lantern much more. The mood, the humor, the color scheme, the actor chosen... it almost felt like Iron Man would show up to give him a hand at any moment.

#4 Posted by Onemoreposter (4057 posts) - - Show Bio

Was it a perfect film? No. It was very good though. After Green Lantern and The Dark Knight Rises, this a huge step in the right direction.

#5 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21880 posts) - - Show Bio

Best movie ever! Better than kick-ass!

#6 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw it at midnight. First impressions.

- I kind of agree with all the "too much action" part. But not completely. I found myself thinking in the first half of the movie, "this is pretty mild on action". Then I found myself thinking in the second half of it, "wow, this is ALOT of action." The pacing was just bad in this film. Its very inconsistent throughout. It's wierd, i've never had these thoughts when watching a cbm before.

- I will say though that when there's action, it is overkill. I counted about 4 skyscrapers that tipped over in about the second half of the movie. I'm surprised the world is still functional. Superman and Zod destroyed everything. During the second half of the movie, wherever superman went, everything was completely destroyed. I've never seen anything like it in a cbm. Literally, metropolis looked like this when the film was over.

- I LOVED FAORA!!!!!! She was the perfect complimentary piece to Zod. I actually liked her and superman's fight better than Superman and zod's though. It was a little less dramatic, and thus better in my opinion. I also really liked Jonathan and Jor's role in this film.

- I feel that this film seems more of a sci - fi movie, than a superman film. Although I got a little superman feel towards the end there.

-Cinematography is BEAUTIFUL!

Overall : 7.0

#7 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: havent watched here (out on 20th)

4. I don't think they can ever do a Justice League movie without retconning Superman's power. He was so obnoxiously unstoppable in this movie, it would be absolutely pointless to give him teammtes. They would just more people he'd need to save in the end.

But DC operates on a big scale and magic has not been addressed yet in that universe, along with the fact that there are other aliens out there and some of them will be just as strong or even stronger. If MM is on the crew that is not the case, however if down to earth and crappy Cyborg is there then it is a team of damsels (minus wonder woman).

It's just that people tend to stick too much to street level nowadays that anything above is considered 'overpowered', the earth is not the center of the universe.

#8 Edited by redhood21 (815 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

It's just that people tend to stick too much to street level nowadays that anything above is considered 'overpowered', the earth is not the center of the universe.

totally agree! as for too much action i thought the opposite.. superman returns was too mundane aside from Lex's crystal experiment you too can do in your own kitchen :D two gods facing off would destroy a city. the speed of the action fit well with their powers, they shouldnt be standing there like rock em sock em kryptonians. comparing the fight to michael bays explosion reel is a low blow...... :'(

how is it trying to be like marvel??? marvel's films are very light hearted even as the world is in ruin. DC's are a wee bit darker and Superman has a pretty high body count...i do agree that green lantern was trying to counter iron man and just didnt get my nipple stiff there...

#9 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood21: I havent seen the move, but spoiling in words is okay (vids and gifs are unacceptable, i will reply with nasty pics to the pms)

I like superhero flicks, and since watchmen they have been raising the scale of action into greater heights. Avengers upped the ante so hopefully superman will give it a higher rise. Returns is just bad, the day when Kumar stabbed superman with a kryptonite shiv. Also superheroes are supposed to act on a grand scale, not catching purse snatchers and hookers.

to the haters:

• f_ck your nostalgia!
  • Reeve is dead, deeaaaadddd!
  • Donner does not act anymore

#10 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Was it a perfect film? No. It was very good though. After Green Lantern and The Dark Knight Rises, this a huge step in the right direction.

this.

#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33483 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen the film yet and I haven't read any of the posts on here but I'm going to see MoS later today so I'll be back!

#12 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I would like to add 3 things.

1. I didn't like the time zod used his heat vision. He completely missed superman by a laughable amount. And I think that scene was just used to bring down yet another sky scraper (as the building collapsed immediately after).

2. Did not like the cg flying part of the fight between zod and superman at the end. Too much cg in my opinion.

3. Was kind of corny the way every light on the planet earth went out, but the tvs stayed on when general zod gave his first message to earth. How does that even work? Do tvs not use electricity as well? lol clearly they wanted a dramatic effect.

#13 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2796 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: did you notice when Zod kicked the fuel truck at kal it said lex-corps on it as well..perhaps hinting at the next villian

#14 Posted by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

First everyone complains about Superman Returns not having enough action now everyone is saying MoS has to much action? HOLY COW the action sequences were amazing we've never seen anything like that on the big screen and i'm glad for every second of action that was up there. Jeez you people are really picky.

#15 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@superboy101: they have the first wave feminist though process

#16 Edited by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Seriously....and whats funny is people are complaining about how the movie isn't like the comics BUT the action sequences are definitely something you see in the comics and animated movies/tv shows of Supes and yet they're complaining about that!?!...if you want some action and a light hearted movie with a ton of comedy go watch iron man 3. If you want a real take on Superman with a ton of action and to be blown away go see MoS. Personally for me as of right now MoS > any superhero movie to date.

#17 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@superboy101:

too much = bawwwwww

too little = bawwww

make yer own goddamn movie then b!tches

#18 Posted by Superboy101 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Hahha exactly! I don't even know what kind of garbage I would be watching if they all made their own movie...oh well haters will hate.

#19 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Moved my previous comment as I think its more appropriate elsewhere.

I can't say I agree with point 4. I think WW, GL, MM can easily hold there own given the power level Supes shows in MoS. I mean MoS is the first movie where we see what Superman can REALLY do physically.

#21 Posted by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@superboy101:

too much = bawwwwww

too little = bawwww

make yer own goddamn movie then b!tches

Alright, I want 'just right.' Not too much, not too little. Everything else in life is best with moderation, but it's impossible for this to be? O...kay.

#22 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: fans ought to be specific, they went extreme since returns sucked and so they went extreme on the action.

#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a JLA movie could work, just have to make the threat massive enough and varied enough so that the entire team is needed.

Superman didn't seem overpowered in this film given the threat he faced.

#24 Posted by Havenless (1341 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't say I agree with point 4. I think WW, GL, MM can easily hold there own given the power level Supes shows in MoS. I mean MoS is the first movie where we see what Superman can REALLY do physically.

Oh no, I'm not saying they can't make these people as good as Superman, I'm saying it's unnecessary. He's leveling Skyscrapers with ease. It's going to be really hard to convince an audience that a Darkseid or a Doomsday are just way too much for him. The point of the team will be hard to sell.

#25 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@shieldzeal said:

Oh no, I'm not saying they can't make these people as good as Superman, I'm saying it's unnecessary. He's leveling Skyscrapers with ease. It's going to be really hard to convince an audience that a Darkseid or a Doomsday are just way too much for him. The point of the team will be hard to sell.

Not really, Zod and pals were clearly established as a danger to Superman with only his experience with dealing with his powers and his luck proving an advantage. When Zod started to get more control he was clearly starting to get an advantage. Selling someone like Doomsday or Darkseid as being more powerful than Superman wouldn't be that hard to pull off. Superman may be high on the power scale but it most certainly can go higher.

#26 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved this movie so much. I think it might even be a little better than Avengers.

1. I like the character development. I think they did a great job showing that Superman is the definition of good.

2. The action was huge, but I loved it anyway. I thought is was great although some parts of the actions seemed kinda meh.

3. Superman wasn't overpowered in my opinion. At the beginning we saw him lift the giant tower thing in the sea, but he was really pushing himself. It's not like he's lifting the earth.

4. Justice League can totally happen. Like I said, he's not overpowered and if you bring in someone like Darkseid, obviously Superman will need help. I really hope the rumors of a Aquaman and a Wonder Woman movie are true. Seeing how they made Superman relevant and epic in movies after everyone lost faith shows that they can do anything. After those two they can move onto a new Green Lantern and continue building the universe.

5. For people saying that they are taking the Marvel route, I really don't see it lol. They had easter eggs to show that it wasn't just Superman in the universe. The movie wasn't light-hearted but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if it was. They really are going in the right direction and need to keep it up.

#27 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

To me people who say they are going the marvel route is just ridiculous marvel movies consist of funny one-liners, a light hearted tone and lots of action. So yes this movie had lots of action does that make it marvel? Is marvel the only one that can have big action sequences now? Also in mos you saw major players die something you would never see in a marvel movie! I mean when superman killed zod i was like WTF??!! i personally loved it. It shows a more relatable superman he had no way of stopping zod and zod would have killed those humans i thought it was fitting out of character? yes, but in the comics he has a way to send zod home. He knew he had no choice! He did what all of us here would have done and that makes him 100x more relatable!

#28 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@shieldzeal said:

Like Decoy Elite said, I think its doable with say Darkseid. Doomsday not so much as it would feel like a rehash of this film. All fighty-fight. Darkseid or Braniac who are less fanatical and more methodical could provide a more existential threat. But I do agree that the scale for MoS was so big, it will be tough to top without it feeling like more of the same.

@jeanespinosa21

My only issue with the scene where Supes was holding Zod back from blasting that family with heat vision was that Zod could easily have moved his eyes without moving his head at all and totally cooked them.

#29 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@shieldzeal: Doomsday can work if they make a point of him only being part of the problem at hand.
Also add an extra layer of Superman trying to avoid collateral damage more this time.(Due to now being experienced at the whole superhero thing).

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I like everything Ive heard about the movie so far but I really think film critics should get off Donner's d**k before they write reviews. We all saw what happens when someone other than Donner tries to do his Superman and it doesn't work.

#31 Edited by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone see the name badge of the captain that says superman was kinda hot??????if you didnt it was ferris!!!! Nod,wink, think I heard that name on a women captain before

#32 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone see the name badge of the captain that says superman was kinda hot??????if you didnt it was ferris!!!! Nod,wink, think I heard that name on a women captain before

Ah, that explains that bit. I was a bit confused why that had in there.

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33483 posts) - - Show Bio

All I can think about is that Zod did to Superman what the Joker was never able to do to Batman and that makes me very very sad

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I know people want to see Doomsday in a movie and I would too but i dont think he could hold a movie as the main villain.

#35 Edited by z1co80 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Just back and i absolutely loved it

Sure it has some pacing issues but there was just so much awesome in this movie. Man Of Steel is up there for me with Dark Knight and Avengers as my favourite comic book movie.

Will definitely be going back for a second showing.

#36 Edited by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I proberly hyped it up way too much... but i was sooo dissapointed.

The pacing in the film was bad, the character development was bad, the back story was horrible, the acting was so-so(Russell Crow was awesome though)... okay, i kinda expected that since that was all the bad reviews was rampling on about. What really made me happy before seeing the movie, was people talking about how great the action was and how it made the Avengers seem dull and low scale. Sure the scale was HUGE in Man of Steel, but that god damn shaky cam, i couldnt see what the hell happended.

I had the same problem in the Bourne trilogy - People praised them as great action films, i never understood the appeal, since i hated the shaky cam, it made everything confused and dissorientated.

Lets take Avengers - i had many great memories from the action sequences, because i remember the scenes cleary thanks to how they were presented to me, In Man of Steel i only got the glimpse and idea of what happended in the action scenes, but never the picture! I could never quite comprehend what actually happended between Superman and his opponent, because of how fast they moved with the combination of the insanly out focus and shaky picture they filmed them in.

It was like watching a child destroying a city build of blocks... just chaos..

Snyder did some impressive scenes in 300 and Watchmen, he combined slow-mo with quick-powerful scenes which - for me atleast, made the fighting epic and fluid, you could see the muscles tensing, you could see the punches, it made the action fluid, epic, elegant. - i could appreciate everything, i hoped i would see just something like that in Man of Steel, yet i only got the chaotic part without any of the other elements, which for me just made it boring and unimpressive.

I so wanted to feel like a kid again, yet i just waited and waited on that big scene that made me goosebumps.... but they the credits starting rolling, and i sat back saying to myself ''THATS IT?!''

Man of Steel isnt a very good film -

Negativs: bad pacing, boring action, so-so acting, weak plot.

Positives: Russell Crow, new suit, great cgi.

6/10.

#37 Posted by The Stegman (24461 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw the film, loved it, 8/10 for me.

#38 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

(Spoiler Warning)

1. They really screwed up Pa Kent in my eyes. They portrayed him as a man so set that his son would never be accepted, that HE ALLOWED HIMSELF TO DIE. Just felt really opposite of the original character.

2. Superman took lives. While I admit there were times it was ok, I feel like Superman was the one who taught us that ALL life is precious.

As for the good, I think they did a great job with Krypton and the action sequences. Also, I think they gave Superman a great reason to be there: Make sure that Earth doesn't make the same mistakes as Krypton.

Altogether, decent film, just flawed.

2.5/5

#39 Edited by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

First everyone complains about Superman Returns not having enough action now everyone is saying MoS has to much action? HOLY COW the action sequences were amazing we've never seen anything like that on the big screen and i'm glad for every second of action that was up there. Jeez you people are really picky.

Thank you!

#40 Edited by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely fantastic film. Whatever the people at Rotten Tomatoes are on, I want some.

#41 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was a great film. A lot of people said that there was too much action, but I was on the edge of my seat during those scenes. Isnt that what Superman fans have been waiting for... an epic battle that shows of superman's power? Seems like people will never be pleased

#42 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11628 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense but people are way too nit picky sometimes. The movie was absolutely amazing. There were one or two things that bothered me but over all it was just shy of perfection that you'd expect from a live action Superman movie.

#43 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still conflicted about this movie. It's not necessarily a bad one - but with a movie with such high expectations....

Twenty thoughts:

1. I'm not sure by what standard this movie should be held to. I get the feeling that if this was a MCU movie, people wouldn't be so disappointed. But given the Nolan association and the overall tone of the movie, I think many going in (critics mainly) were expecting an in-depth exploration of the character in the vein of the DK Trilogy. Not saying that MoS didn't have any of that, but it certainly had a more subdued take. If this was just considered another summer action blockbuster CBM, would reception be a little warmer, I wonder. I mean much of the Avengers' awesomeness comes from the banter and the kick of seeing an entire universe of heroes, but plot-wise, it's a fairly generic team origin story.

2. The tone was quite...somber. I got the sense of gravity and weight, it was pretty heavy for a Superman movie. Which on one hand is great to give gravitas, but on the other, I don't know. I feel like a Superman movie should be optimistic. Superman represents the best in all of us - there should be wonder. Now I'm not saying this was a super-dark-gritty-reboot type deal, but there was definitely a sense of I don't know, seriousness? I need to give this one some thought.

3. Superman's characterization. Now I don't get the claim that he was 'too violent'. He's doing what Superman always does, and the final moment with him killing Zod just nails home the seriousness of this universe. But I feel like Cavill didn't get to show off much of his acting chops. His few pieces of dialogue were alright...but I didn't get too much of the character. At the same time though, I do sort of like this 'man of few words but few words are still kind' approach. I will say that the few bits where he has to show angst and grief were great - the scene with Jonathan's death and Zod's death.

4. Spectacle was definitely the best part of this movie; it's probably Snyder's strongest suit. This was the first time that we saw action on this scale. Most CBMs have low to mid-tier heroes duking it out. Thor kinda disappointed in that respect, his fights in Jotunheim, against the Destroyer and Loki were kinda meh. But the amount of destruction and chaos in this movie's fights completely blew my mind. Faora and Non absolutely decimating the US military. Zod and Clark just plowing through Metropolis and Smallville. This is the first time we've ever seen a high-tier hero brawling in these epic proportions, it's exactly how Superman should be fighting. Superman in combat should be like a force of nature. I don't get the complaints that they couldn't see anything, I could follow the fights along perfectly (poor seats maybe?). At least there wasn't slow-mo punching!

5. The scene where Superman first conquers flight was fantastic. I really felt emotional at that scene. You feel the exhilaration, the unbridled freedom that flight affords Clark. When he zooms across the planet, creating sonic booms, flying across continents before gracing the Earth in outer space. Completely blew my mind. It was probably the first teaser of Superman's abilities in the entire movie, and it definitely struck the 'wonder' part of a Superman movie.

6. I felt like the dialogue wasn't exactly great. Some have commented that many lines in TDKR felt Goyer-esque, or generic, and he's a scriptwriter here with Nolan. Many great CBMs have fantastic quotables, but I didn't get a sense of that in MoS. Maybe a few lines or here, but much of the dialogue just felt like they were serving their purpose, nothing more. Even the occasional moments of comedy kinda left me meh. I'm not saying I need witty intelligent dialogue, but the dialogue just felt generic.

7. I'm a little skeptical with the story's direction. This is an early origin story so I can excuse them not to include Metropolis and the Daily Planet for the most part. And I did like how it ended with him adopting the guise of a reporter. But I don't know, it was quite non-traditional in terms of Superman origins I guess. It's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

8. Pacing was really weird. We spent quite some time on Krypton but it was nice. But then the middle bit with Clark learning about his heritage and the buildup felt a little long. The flashbacks were alright, I guess. But I felt that it took too long to get to the second act with Zod and his fight with Faora/Non. The third arc also felt a little draggy at parts. I guess the individual parts were great, but the flow from one to the next didn't feel right to me. I didn't get a sense of a good pace/rhythm.

9. Pa and Ma Kent were....eh. I didn't get a sense of the honest, hardworking couple. It was something that Smallville did well, and while of course they had like seven seasons, Jonathan and Martha Kent felt right there. Sincere, just the good happy couple, who instilled the values in Clark that would lead him to be a hero. Jonathan's fear for his son being discovered was just...seriously, him sacrificing himself came across as just dumb. I never got a sense of warmth from their relationship with Clark either - where's the moral core that's such a big part of the character?

10. There was a great technical design to the overall look of the movie. Krypton looked great (kinda meh on the Avatar flying mount though), and the armor designs were fantastic. Zod's people looked intimidating, with their bulky armor and creepy masks. Superman's suit was appropriately alien, and the cape and overall look never came across as goofy but regal and grand. Which is how it should be. Everyone looked great in tights too - kudos to Cavill and Shannon especially. It was definitely a very nice-looking movie, which is what Snyder does best.

11. I'm kinda confused with the final climax with Zod. Why didn't Superman push Zod's head away, or cover his eyes, or flew them both away, or just knocked him out? Am I missing something? I'd be interested in a possible explanation.

12. Not crazy about the acting. Russell Crowe was great, Cavill was fine, everyone else was just alright. I feel like Shannon had a lot of untapped potential, and that the script didn't give him the chance to fully show his acting chops, because he was fantastic in Take Shelter and Boardwalk Empire. I'm not crazy about Amy Adams as Lois Lane. She's a good actress, but I get the sense that she's just too sweet with her voice and actions. Lois Lane should be the harder army brat, the tough competitive urban contrast to Superman's nice-guy, country bumpkin Smallville-ness. I don't know, not crazy about that. I am alright with her being saved by Superman - it's practically her second day job. Some characterize it as Hollywood not being able to be gender-equal or whatever, but she's the original damsel-in-distress of comics.

13. I feel like film critics actually have valid points when they review this movie. Many comic-books fans are insulting them, but you have to take into consideration that they don't have our association, our heart with the movie. What means a lot to us doesn't necessarily mean much to them, they're taking a technical look. Sure, some critics are silly, but many have objective and valid criticisms. On that note, even fans are making silly complaints, I feel. MoS is nowhere near a MCU movie - they're completely polar opposites. No Marvel movie is this long, with this somber tone and characterization. Also, those whining about the Jesus comparisons - it's an inevitable parallel and nothing new. And too much action? I'm sorry but that one just really baffles me.

14. I never got a sense of Superman being OPed. This is how he should be. Strong, powerful, an absolute powerhouse - it's his role in the JL, practically. As for the complaints of Superman being unconcerned with collateral, I point it to extenuating circumstances and Clark not being that familiar with this level of fighting yet. His first fight with Zod was triggered by his rage, and the fight was extended by Zod's own soldiers and the US Army. The second fight in Metropolis was a natural result of Zod's plan, are people gonna start blaming the Avengers for the Chitauri attacking NY (Which is kinda true, but you get the point)?

15. The soundtrack was great. Zimmer never fails with epic moments.

16. This movie is definitely the first CBM in a long time to incite such discussion and anticipation for myself and (I feel) the fan community as well. The weight that this movie carries with it is a very big part - it's holding up the entire DC cinematic universe, it's the first Superman reboot since the Reeve movies, there's a lot of significance to this movie. I was really pumped to watch it, and though I didn't leave the theater fully-satisfied, I did enjoy myself.

17. No frost breath? Haha, I can live with actually. Heat vision looked fantastic though, that scene with Zod, damn! What I don't like is the lack of Kneel Before Zod, though. Did dig the references to Luthor and Wayne though.

18. Not to make the DK Trilogy comparison but...when Batman Begins came out, there wasn't that much fanfare. Maybe this origin story will pale in comparison to a possible sequel? I look forward to seeing Clark Kent as a reporter - I actually quite like the idea of Lois learning Clark's identity and wanna see how that plays out.

19. Despite me not understanding why Superman didn't use alternatives, I will say that him executing Zod was a very fitting and powerful moment of the movie. First off, it gave the movie a real-world touch (which some might argue against, but it's a big part of MoS' tone). And I felt like it was the only way the fight could've ended. If he just knocked out Zod and Zod was imprisoned, it would've been too meh to such an epic encounter. Just the sheer desperation on Superman's face and the grief and rage he displays after killing the last other survivor (sans Phantom Zone exiles) of his race. He kills, and immediately regrets it. He may be Kryptonian, but that moment showed his humanity. How he was willing to make the tough choice to save lives. Saying 'Superman shouldn't kill!' only looks at it superficially - it undercuts the deeper moral implications of the situation. It was a desperate moment, and Superman does it almost selflessly, knowing that it will haunt him but choosing to take that burden and make that difficult decision. It was also extra strong because I really didn't see it coming - you don't think that they'd have the balls to go there, but they did.

20. I'll end this on a positive note. I liked the small addition of Clark being the first natural birth in Krypton in years. It gives a deeper meaning to him being released from an old dying Krypton, to a new free Earth where he can forge his own life, his own purpose.

I know my thoughts sound kinda ambiguous, but I will say that I did enjoy the movie. I probably won't have a fully-formed opinion until a rewatch and I've had some time to consider it (I literally just came from watching it). It's certainly not a perfect ten, I won't even call it the 'best superhero movie', but it has definitely accomplished something. I feel like MoS is not the masterpiece many are claiming it to be, but it certainly does warrant discussion and rewatching. Superman is my 2nd favorite superhero, after all.

@novi_homines I think that was the point with the heat vision - it was the first time it manifested for Zod so he didn't have control of it yet?

#44 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Definitely. I realized this after watching it a second time.

#45 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines said:

Ah cool.

Loved your write up. We agree on alot of things.

#47 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines said:

Ah cool.

Loved your write up. We agree on alot of things.

Thanks man, appreciate the props.

#48 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Posted this in another thread, but since this is the official discussion, thought it fitted better here.

My thoughts after seeing it twice -

- First of all, I can confirm that 3d is useless. Outside of the first 30-45 mins, I forgot I was watching it in 3d.

- Instead of liking the movie more the second time, I actually liked it less. I'll stick with the 7/10 that I gave to it, but if I had felt this way the first time around, I wouldn't have given it anything higher than a 6.5, and the following is why I feel this way.

- Watching it the second time, the films structure was definitely choppy and simply bad overall. Its one thing to have different aged flashbacks to tell how he grew up, but its another thing entirely to have the supposed "present time" lack a continuous flow as well. When you have "present" clark jumping from fisherman, to bartender, to anthropologist, in combination with the flashbacks, topped off with these flashbacks being out of continuity as well (in age), you simply have a train-wreck of a story structure. Jonathan shouldn't be dead in one scene, and still be in a flashback in a later scene giving him more advice. It makes sense when watching the film from beginning to end (which in a sense is a phenomenal feat), but as a whole, it gives off a feeling of choppiness. It's definitely unique though.

- The second half can simply be renamed as a hybrid of transformers / a dragon ball z episode. It's like transformers in the amount of explosions and building collapses (counted it this time, total of 7 buildings collapsed in this film). And it is like DBZ when it came to the brawls. At one point I felt I could've just been watching an extremely high budget cg film, similar to the Deathstroke Arkham Origins trailer. It seemed like there was more apparent cg in the brawls of the last hour of this film, than there were in every other cbm film ever made, combined. That most likely isn't true, but it definitely felt like it. Without a doubt there's more cg in this than in Avengers. And any film in the IM trilogy, TDK trilogy, and even spiderman trilogy. I felt that there was an entire 4 minute stretch in the superman vs zod battle, that was just PURE cg. The cg was AMAZING, don't get me wrong. But the excess use of cg, was what ended up being a detriment for me.

Another thing that annoyed me was pointless explosions and destruction. They completely destroyed all of metropolis. I still can't figure out for the life of me why superman continued to fight in populated places. One of the contributing reasons as to why it doesn't feel like a true superman movie. The real superman would go to deserted areas, and not put so many people in danger. Fight with zod in the CENTER of metropolis? What was he thinking? Same thing with Faora and that henchmen in that small town. Careless and complete disregard for collateral damage.

- I liked Cavill as superman ALOT better this time around. He just wasn't given a good enough script to properly act the part.

- I LOVED ma kent. Pa kent was ok, kind of meh.

-Faora vs superman was awesome. She actually stole the show for me as the villain of this film.

- I did not like Michael Shannon in this. His acting was just subpar. And definitely wasn't menacing enough. You can't have superman's final battle be against a guy who gets his ass kicked by Jor in like the first 10 mins of the film. Then gets dominated by superman in Smallville. Final battle didn't have an epic affect for me because of the dilution of the significance of action at that point. As well as Zod consistently getting dominated. Faora dominates superman more than Zod does.

- Overall, the first half of the film was the best parts of it, but it was horribly structured. The second half of the film was simply a huge, over the top, action movie. Both of these halves combine to make an average cbm in my opinion. But this is by no means a fact. Some people will love it and say its great, others won't. Everyone has their own opinions. And i've told you the reasons why I have mine.

#49 Posted by z1co80 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

(Spoiler Warning)

1. They really screwed up Pa Kent in my eyes. They portrayed him as a man so set that his son would never be accepted, that HE ALLOWED HIMSELF TO DIE. Just felt really opposite of the original character.

2. Superman took lives. While I admit there were times it was ok, I feel like Superman was the one who taught us that ALL life is precious.

As for the good, I think they did a great job with Krypton and the action sequences. Also, I think they gave Superman a great reason to be there: Make sure that Earth doesn't make the same mistakes as Krypton.

Altogether, decent film, just flawed.

2.5/5

What you have to remember with regards to Pa Kent was that although it seemed that he was to set in his ways he was in fact right about what he told Clark.

What was the first thing the military and government did when they found out there was an alien spaceship on the planet? Deny deny deny. Hell, Perry wouldn't even run Lois's story. The people couldn't have handled the truth and that is very much in line with how the government see's the people. You just have to look at real life and how the governments of the world have been holding back UFO files from the people for years.

You also have to remember what Pa said to Clark, "People are afraid of what the don't understand". If you look at nearly any film that involves aliens the military's first instinct is to shoot first then ask questions later. Hell in the Avengers the solution was to nuke Manhattan.

In my opinion although Pa maybe came off as stubborn in that he never let Clark help him but you have to look at the bigger picture in that this is a far more cynical time we live in. Pa new Clark would be hunted by the military. hell, Lois even says to Clark someone will find you eventually and also at the end of the film Superman has to knock down a satellite because the military even after Superman saved the planet are still trying to find his Fortress of Solitude.

Pa was trying to protect his son, He was willing to give his life for him. That's how i saw it.

#50 Edited by 14NC3 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of steel had the greatest action sequences i have ever seen. However, the movie on a whole was not bad nor was it excellent.

I'd give he movie 3.5/10 rating. It didn't get a 5/5 because it was a bit too rushed at the beginning and was over-the-top. There was about 40 mins lead up to the part where he's already in tights which was abit too fast for me. Also, the end of the movie after the massive fight was rushed a bit as well. I was also bugged by the fact that superman kills zod.

There wasn't much dialogue for clarke and there were too many action sequences that were spectacular but abit repetitive. The amount of battles made the fights seem less special and exciting. Due to the lack of character development and dialogue for kal-el, Cavilles performance was pretty cold and bland + there was little to none comical moments in the film. Due to the atmosphere of the movie it didn't completely feel like a superman film if you know what I mean.

The battles were as i've said before AMAZING and showed off what superman could really do (The last battle of the movie was the best fight scene that i've ever seen) and there were alot of touching scenes that got me emotional particularly the flashbacks. Russel Crowe and Kevin Costner were GREAT (especially russel) as was Amy Adams. Her chemistry with Henry Caville was pretty good.

Another thing: the man of steel soundtrack was GREAT and fit in so prefectly with the scenes of the movie. It's one of my all time favourites and really touched me at some moments.

Overall, the movie was very enjoyable and 3D doesn't really improve the movie at all. So save a couple of pounds and see it in 2D. If you love an action-packed CGI filled and slightly emotional movie you will love man of steel. All it needs is a slower take, at least one moment that will make me almost laugh like in the reeves films where he accidentally breaks stuff with his powers and a more convincing superman.