Man of Steel appropriate for 5 year old?

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My five year old son wants to go see Man of Steel. I am concerned about two issues:

1. How intense is the violence?

My son is used to DC superheroes via early reader books, Lego Batman 2 video game, and the Batman: Brave and Bold cartoon. He has also seen The Avengers and Captain America movies and did all right with those. I think he can handle buildings getting knocked down and stuff like that where it doesn't show blood or anguish. I have heard that Superman breaks Zod's neck. Is that graphically portrayed?

2. Does it seem like a long movie for a kid?

He made it through Epic the other day no problem at all, but I don't want him squirming, bouncing, or trying to run around at a movie where a bunch of adults are at. I'm the kind of parent who will take him out even it means I miss the last 45 minutes of the show.

Thanks!

p.s. Is the 3-D worth the premium? I generally don't think 3-D adds that much, especially when it's not shot in 3-D.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It is a long movie, but it really depends on the kid. If he can't pay attention for long, it may not be the best film. But it also has great visuals, so that could keep his attention.

As for violence, there is a lot, and yes, what you heard does happen, but it's quick. All in all, the violence isn't brutal, there is just a lot of it.

And don't worry, I saw about the same amount of violence at his age, I turned out....relatively alright. (Lol)

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Malonius

I should add: both The Avengers and The Dark Knight are rated PG-13, but I would not let him watch The Dark Knight.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By akbogert

Gut reaction: NOPE.

I have never seen destruction on the level this film presents. It's straight out of a comic in that respect: massive, massive destruction, and if you stop to think about it it's hard to believe a lot of people aren't dying left and right as collateral to the fights. But you don't actually see that. As for the big spoiler, it's not bloody, but it involves a very loud sound which had half the audience I saw it with actually gasp or scream.

It's a pretty long movie and the first 45 minutes or so are actually pretty slow kid-wise since they're a lot more about building backstory and emotional impact.

I don't really think the 3D was worth the premium but seeing it in IMAX was unbelievable and I don't think I had a non-3D option for that.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

5 year olds play COD all day, stop pretending we have standards in a america. What is this the 90s?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a f***, they have hundreds of superman kid cartoons about eating you're vegetables that they can watch

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ummmm....... One school bully calls Clark an ass-wipe and a dick-splash......

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SideburnGuru

The guy asks a few questions and he gets some smart ass replies. Always nice. Good job giving ComicVine a good rep, folks.

1. It's intense. However, if he sat through The Avengers in the last fight scene, and he didn't question "Are people dieing in those buildings?" He should be fine. The neck-break isn't really bloody, or anything like that. It's his reaction that got me. Not Zods reaction, but Superman. It's pretty emotional.

2. Uhm.. I don't know. If he's REALLY into Superman and he likes comics? Yeah, he should have fun with it! The visuals are outstanding, and it's a very fun movie. I saw a few kids there who acted just fine.

However, it is a lengthy movie. I'd say... maybe. If he REALLY wants to, I don't see why you shouldn't take him. It may corrupt his view on Superman though. Try to keep in mind, this is before Superman really becomes.. Superman in a way. The Superman we saw in the past movies, isn't this Superman.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Obviously not.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I say no. Its just too long and the first he'll lose interest 45 minutes in.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

No.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hell no

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leave your kid at home. No one likes the person who brings in their brat who won't shut up.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By longbowhunter

@glitch_spawn: I don't know what a dick splash is but it sounds like the worst attraction at the world's grossest water park.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Malonius

Any other opinions? Does it seem wrong that a superman movie is maybe innappropriate for kids?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@malonius said:

Any other opinions? Does it seem wrong that a superman movie is maybe innappropriate for kids?

I'd say that's an entirely different issue, and one worthy of its own thread. Conversely you could question why Batman comics are maybe inappropriate for children. Well actually Babs did ask that -- but this is sort of the flipside.

I think the fact that there is doubt and/or certainty from people that a Superman movie may not be appropriate for children does say something pretty bold about the new direction DC has taken here. And probably not something good.

I think, by the way, that part of my response comes from the age. Five is a bit young. Maybe a few years older I wouldn't have immediately said no. But I think that at the age of 5 it probably would've been inappropriate for me to see movies with a decent amount of cursing and necks being snapped and whatnot. I also think at the age of 5 a great deal of the dialogue would probably go over my head.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the input everyone.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SandMan_

I don't think you should. This movie is like 8 and up.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might be a little late to respond, but I'll say what I can:

1. Yes, it is violent and pretty intense, but it doesn't seem different than what your kid would see on action series on television like Dragon Ball Z, or the Justice League cartoons (Your kid probably doesn't watch them but the point still holds true. As I witnessed that kind of violence at 5 and I turned out pretty much okay.) And yes, that scene does happen, but it's not bloody, and if your kid has seen Superman 2 before, it really shouldn't be much of a shock that Zod is dead, so I think that when you see Superman put Zod in a headlock, just kind of tell him to close his eyes at that point; otherwise it's not that bad. But I think what gets people is the emotional reaction to it by Superman.

2. The movie IS pretty long. But by the 3rd act, the kid will be practically be glued to his seat. And the visuals are pretty stunning so your child will probably be awake for that. It kind of delves into Superman and finding his place on Earth (Not as corny as I put it) so it kind of offers both for adults and children.

Bottom line, the violence is intense, but nothing that your kid wouldn't be accustomed to, in fact, he'll probably enjoy it, and he really won't witness anything that will damage him for life, so it's nothing to really worry about. And he can probably make it through. The visuals help.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bring him. Nothing too bad and even the neck break isn't graphic. My cousin, 7, enjoyed it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@malonius said:

I'd say that's an entirely different issue, and one worthy of its own thread. Conversely you could question why Batman comics are maybe inappropriate for children. Well actually Babs did ask that -- but this is sort of the flipside.

I think the fact that there is doubt and/or certainty from people that a Superman movie may not be appropriate for children does say something pretty bold about the new direction DC has taken here. And probably not something good.

I think, by the way, that part of my response comes from the age. Five is a bit young. Maybe a few years older I wouldn't have immediately said no. But I think that at the age of 5 it probably would've been inappropriate for me to see movies with a decent amount of cursing and necks being snapped and whatnot. I also think at the age of 5 a great deal of the dialogue would probably go over my head.

I honestly think he would be bored. half the movie is about clark discovering himself and finding out where he comes from, with some action thrown in here and there. there is lots of violence it doesn't seem like it because its between people who are invulnerable. With that being said

as for the "new" direction, this isn't new, it's been going on since before superman fought doomsday, and has been happening long after....people just fail to acknowledge this, or maybe since it's on paper it's different. Reading about two titans destroying a city while fighting is nothing compared to seeing it. I am sure you read superman this isn't anything new at all. The guy was polite, and carting, he had a heart and didn't throw the first punch, and certainly had emotion when doing what he did.

Would you let your kid read death and return of superman? Most people would say yes. Would you let them watch that cartoon, sure why not, the word hell and damn gets thrown around might make people cringe, but when it's live action that "cartoony" feel suddenly becomes real. but in reality doomsday smashes and slams and punches and brutally attacks for a long period of time no different than this movie right?

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@malonius: Well it's rated 12A (or PG13 if your American) for a reason, there's a lot of death and some course language

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Decoy Elite

No, it's a good movie but the dark tone it does for really keeps it from being the most family friendly thing. It's no Dark Knight but you don't want any young kids watching it.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lilben42

Please of course its good for kids!

- The action is like the comics or cartoon which is great

- The *********** is a little violent but just because you hear the noise.

- Everything else is alright for the kid. The cussing is very small.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes, its perfectly appropriate. Unless you think violence is a bad thing because theres a lot of violence.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Violence isn't really a problem in all honesty, for the most part it's standard superhero fare. What I'd be more worried about is the strong emotional content - there's some deaths in this movie that have serious emotional fallout, moments that tug at your heartstrings. If your kid's alright with that, then it's fine.

There's also the boredom problem. MoS is a pretty slow-build movie, it doesn't really get much action to the middle to latter half. Many adults viewers complained about getting bored at points (though do note, it's not boring, just that the pace might not be to everyone's liking).

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is in a sense, and it isn't in a sense.