Major Story Arc's in Comics

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

What's so great about a major story arc, anyways?

------------------------

When thinking back to that rather large auditorium inside of the Javits Center as I watched, transfixed on Dan Didio the editor of DC Comics pace up and down the isle interacting with fans, I can remember feeling almost important.
I have yet to have a conversation with comic book fans like the one I and the other 35 people in the crowd had with Didio. He makes you feel like you are valuable; like your opinion matters.
"The Death of Superman" story arc
Conversation with Dan Didio Panel: New York Comic Con 2009
Conversation with Dan Didio Panel: New York Comic Con 2009
He's good. What's worse is that he's so convincing; that whatever you thought initially going into the conversation; wasn't necessarily what you came out believing. Needless to say, I went into the conversation with a hundred questions, and I came out with about a thousand. Alright, slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. The issue of major story arcs and why the two major comic book publisher's focus so much of their energy on creating them is one of the major issues  that remain prevalent in my memory of that conversation.

"What do you guys think, do you like big story arc's?"

Do I like big story arcs? Three weeks later and I am still struggling to conjure a response to that question.
Starting with defining a story arc seems like a good place. In a nutshell, to have a story arc, you take one specific event or conflict and have it transcend throughout several smaller stories.
Marvel's current ongoing story arc is Dark Reign, for example. The writer thinks up one story and molds it into all the different books of that Universe, highliting how that one major and very specific event managed to effect each character individually.

Seems confusing? It can be, and that's part of the problem; but we'll get to that.
So now that we know what it is, we can understand why they do it. So, why do they do it?
There is only one real answer to this question, and that is $$$. Comic book companies are constantly having to reinvent themselves in order to sell books. Individual small stories, according to Didio, just don't sell the way they used to. Readers need drama, big drama, and major events like 52 and Secret Invasion help propel drama and ultimately, they are the way that these companies make the most of their money. Readers are more likely to read a major story arc than they are to buy an individual book because with a story arc, there is almost always the promise of some major shocking even that will shake the foundation of the company.
Marvel's
Marvel's "Civil War"
Marvel's Civil War and the effects of the registration act killed off one of the most iconic comic book hero's in Marvel's history, Steve Rogers, the former Captain America and in effect simultaneously introduced his longtime sidekick Bucky to take up the mantle.  If you haven't read it, I recommend it.

The advantages and disadvantages of a major story arc

Lets start with the positive stuff. Probably the best thing about a major story arc is the fact that characters that may not necessarilly get a lot of ink, probably will. In DC's 52 for example, Batwoman, a character that had been around for over two decades was re-introduced. No longer in existence for the sole purpose of being Batman's primary love interest of yesteryear; she was revamped and her character's sexuality put into question. A bold move for DC. She is a good example of the advantages of having  a major story arc. DC has "x" number of books. Giving a character like Batwoman her own book would have been detrimental to sales. In the end, DC would have spent more on putting the book out there and they would have obtained very little revenue in return. Not worth the trouble. However, placing her in a major story arc will expose her to a wide audience. People that may not know anything about her character and read "52" were introduced to her. In addition, having her interact with other characters is a great way to develop her character. Major story arcs are the best way to develop relationships between characters within that universe because they are all right there and have ample opportunity to play off of one another.
The disadvantages of a major story arc essentially depend on the organization in general. Take Dark Reign for example. As Didio stated during his panel, (and I am in full concurrence with him,) Marvel could never have had "Dark Reign" without first having "Secret Invasion." There is sheer brilliance in writing that has been so cautiously planned out. When you have every single character in your universe getting involved, you need to be organized. I think it is clear that Marvel has achieved this, and as a result, created Dark Reign which is at the moment the best ongoing story in comic books right now (in my opinion). I think that this was the problem with Final Crisis and Batman R.I.P. How did Batman's death factor into Final Crisis? I still am confused about that.

Essentially, major story arcs are important to sales, and if they are well done, they can be a lot of fun. So I ask you guys what Didio asked me three weeks ago: What do you think of major story arcs?

-Babs
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Erik

I actually like them. However, I think that for the sake of my wallet they could just do one at a time and not have major story arc back to back like they have been doing for a while. Lol. But they are always fun to read. It is true what you said about characters getting more exposure than they normally would. Take Darkhawk for example. He pretty much dropped off the radar until Secret Invasion and I have heard talk that they are having him play a major role now as a result of that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Nice blog Babs

Very well written.

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By XRiskyX

Very well observed Babs and very intelligently done. Respect.

But what can I say?

I LOVE MAJOR STORY ARCS

It always thrills me to speculate about what happens in the next boodk and I love to see how  all those small plots finally find together to create a bigger plot. Even those where you never thought they would fit. I admire the well planned ones where you get the full scale only in the end and that change something, when the rest of the comic universe has to cope with the consequences. I consider myself a hobby writer myself so I admire the work that is behind such an event. And you are right:

BatgirlBabs said:
" Readers need drama, big drama, and major events like 52 and Secret Invasion help propel drama"
I am a comic reader and I LOVE drama (well in comics at least)

Just my oppinion.
Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Nahero

i agree

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_
Risky said:
"Very well observed Babs and very intelligently done. Respect.

But what can I say?

I LOVE MAJOR STORY ARCS

It always thrills me to speculate about what happens in the next boodk and I love to see how  all those small plots finally find together to create a bigger plot. Even those where you never thought they would fit. I admire the well planned ones where you get the full scale only in the end and that change something, when the rest of the comic universe has to cope with the consequences. I consider myself a hobby writer myself so I admire the work that is behind such an event. And you are right:

BatgirlBabs said:
" Readers need drama, big drama, and major events like 52 and Secret Invasion help propel drama"
I am a comic reader and I LOVE drama (well in comics at least)

Just my oppinion.
"
I love your opinion! I like it too, it just needs to be ORGANIZED. If it's all over the place, I get so annoyed. =[

(and thank you)
Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Midnightist

I like major story arcs. To me they are the best example of comic books being an art form. They are full of drama action and though that make yu want to get comics. They're good for new readers because they are a big point that usually allot of people can just get into. They give the comics a chance to create something new or redo something for instance Civil War made the registration act a dozen new teams and a new Captain America from Bucky.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By No_Name_

Yeah I didn't think of that before, actually. Registration did allow for the birth of many new teams.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Slinger

I can't say I'm in love with the big events at this point. Civil War was a great idea, but it seems like since then it's been nothing but a constant cascade of them without enough down time. I think it's like swimming in the ocean when there are big waves. It can be really fun to swim around in the surf, but if the waves are too close together they'll just pound on you without giving you a chance to recover (and you could drown.) If they are too far apart it get's boring and you grow impatient (and maybe decide to go home, or to a different beach.) I think that Marvel in particular could do a better job of pacing themselves. I like the events, but not two, three, or four in a year.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kurrent

I believe that Major Story Arcs are great. They introduce you to characters the you necessarily might not like or you have not heard about. 

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I like some major story arcs while others.......... like 52? I never got into this and found it hard to keep up with. What was the point of this anyway? To spotlight DC characters in a world without the Big Three? Only to have the Big Three return and thus the minor characters are once again reduced to the back ground? Seemed pointless. To me a major story arc needs to have a long lasting affect on the comic world. Like "House of M" or "Batman R.I.P" to use a couple examples.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#11  Edited By gmanfromheck

I like the major story arcs like I like my whiskey, in moderation.  Sure every once in awhile you can indulge yourself.  But what happens if you have too much.  I'm sure you can imagine.  Too many major story arcs start to tick me off.  The last thing I want is to be forced to read a ton of books.  If the characters are strong enough and written well enough, they don't need some gimmicky storyline to make them "better."  I remember when characters actually hung out in their own titles.  Every once in a while you'd get a crossover and it was cool.  Now, it's no big deal.  They've lost their charm.  It's not a special occasion. 

I think back to Secret Wars.  That literally kicked my ass with how cool it was.  You didn't often get all of your favorite characters in the same book.  Nowadays, it's one major arc after the other with pretty much no time to breathe in between. 

So I like them.  I enjoy them.  But I don't need them.  Let's make them special again and not have them 24/7.

(Nice article, Babs!)

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By No_Name_

I agree with your point about moderation. I don't need a huge story arc all the time. I personally enjoy the individual stories more anyway.

(And thanks.)

Kid Anarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Kid Anarchy

i believe story arcs can be annoying in the fact that some are extremely misleading. however, some are well written.
also, i hat when a character whos not seen often or comes from thin air can cause so much havoc and make such a huge problem into a major event (for example, Imperiex)

I also agree with G-Man...story arcs shouldnt be piling in one after another. Its more interesting if you read individual comics of characters, that way when you read a major story arc and something happens to them, it'll effect you more (i felt like this with Namorita as a catalyst for Civil War.

@Kurrent - i dont necessarily thikn that characters have to be brought about in Major Story Arcs to be noticed. A good team up or team affilitian could do the trick (i believe)

In conclusion, these story arcs however change a lot of characters. New characters enter, some die, others lose their abilities, new teams are formed, things are found out

so id like to say Story Arcs are interesting, but they should come in moderation and let readers take a breather.

awesome blog Babs!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No_Name_

Thanks for reading it!

Kid Anarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kid Anarchy

np. i enjoy reading your reviews...mostly because we have most of the same views :P

Emerald Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emerald Dragon

Me personally I like them and I also don't like them.

Alright well now in my opinion take Marvel's Civil War story line.  Alright well almost everyone was affected by what was going on except for the X-men.  *Why not?*  I mean if it is something so big and important and it is happening all aorund you then why is it that only they were secluded and nothing happened to them during this time???   *To me this just isn't right.*  However, take DC's Final Crisis that affected all titles in one way or another, and even through the Green Lantern Corps and Green Lantern books have Blackest Night going on they are still effected in one way or another by the events of Final Crisis. 

In my own opinion it you are going to do a major story line that is supposed to affect the entire universe then make it affect the entire universe don't pick and choose who it is going to affect as that makes the idea that ie is truly a major universal event seem well.... not so major in my opinion.  I personally feel that Marvel dropped the ball when they excluded the X-men from the entire Civil War thing. 

Again just my opinion take it or leave it but it is my two cents.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Hey, Babs!

The only major story arc I read from beginning to end was Civil War...and I thought it was awesome!

I don't follow mainstream comics (I like the weird indie stuff) so most of these "events" leave me cold because, at best, I don't know the history of many these characters and, at worst, don't know the characters at all. When I read the first installment of Messiah Complex, it gave me a headache because I had no idea who or what I was reading about.

What was great about Civil War was that most of the characters were known to everyone, even those who had never even read a comic book...and it ended up being the biggest selling comic "event" of all time.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By The_Martian

What I like about Major story arcs is you see characters that aren't being use, even if its only for a little bit(Young Avengers in Secret Invasion).

Peterobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Peterobe

I think they are good on an 'arc by arc' basis. I can see the general ideal of '52' but I think it got lost in itself and actually missed the presence of the Big 3, which just showed their strength. Ideally a really strong story arc should come out every now and then - with the usual titles leading up to them - that way they are deemed 'special' by us the readers, rather than 'oh yay, another story arc that follows on from that story arc that actually pre-dates that story arc which took place on story arc 49'!

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Calvin

I like to feel that all the guys are in the same universe. What one character do affect the others.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By No_Name_
Roxanne Starr said:
"Hey, Babs!

Hey Foxy Roxy!

Thanks for reading up on this guys! glad it got you thinking and that you shared your opinions. Makes all that blogging worthwhile :P
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pixelized

I like Major story arcs because you get to see how your favorite characters compare to the rest of their universe. Other than that... just regular team adventures works very well with me.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No_Name_

What about independent character story's?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pixelized

Like Batman? I'll pass.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No_Name_

Like Emma?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pixelized

Love her! i have to be invested in a character to read them in a solo. Like Moonstone/Ms. Marvel.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pixelized

I guess that's another plus to major story arcs, they introduce you to characters you may not normally run across.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Methos

in all honesty, it depends on the writer...

i mean, NoMan's Land by Greg Rucka was simply put the most amazing Batman story ever written.... it wasn't just amazing, it was epic, no EPIC!!!

But then look at how the War of Light is going under the reigns of Geff Johns... it could easily be a war that would make Infinite Crisis look like a minor playground scuffle... instead, we're treated to his usual retcons on a monthy basis and the writer's completely atrocious treatment of the characters.

it all depends on the writer for the storyline, if it's a managable writer with a good idea in his head, someone who actually likes the characters and universe they are writing in, then the fans will love it because the writer has poured some true love into the plotline... if the writer is just writing random trash that a four year old ape could equal, then noone's going to read it... take a look at the current GL sales for proof of that, for the second month in a row, sales of GL: Corps, the only GL Title to have nothing to do with Geoff Johns, is actually outselling the primary title....

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Darkchild

I cant actually remember the last story arc i read every issue. Oh wait yes i do Death of Superman

Psi-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Psi-Fire

Nice blog

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Methos said:

it all depends on the writer for the storyline, if it's a managable writer with a good idea in his head, someone who actually likes the characters and universe they are writing in, then the fans will love it because the writer has poured some true love into the plotline... if the writer is just writing random trash that a four year old ape could equal, then noone's going to read it... take a look at the current GL sales for proof of that, for the second month in a row, sales of GL: Corps, the only GL Title to have nothing to do with Geoff Johns, is actually outselling the primary title....

M
"
I like Geoff Johns.
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By Roxanne Starr
aztek the lost said:
"I'm pretty much anti-major story arcs...its one of the many reasons why my bank targets Vertigo's line and other "small-name" publishers
"
Well, I think you know where I stand on this. :)
HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#35  Edited By HaloKing343

l love big events, but l don't like them when they are too common.