Main Difference Between Marvel and DC?

MarvelFanBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Outside of Spider-Man & the X-Men no

Spider-Man, the X-men, the Hulk, Iron Man, Moon knight, and even the Fantastic Four to a small extent (there are probably countless others that I have forgotten as well). And this all span from me being called ignorant.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelfanboy01: I don't think we can all relate to the Hulk's multiple personality disorder, or Stark's alcoholism. Don't know about Moon Knight or FF.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

The biggest difference to me? The writing. Marvel has authors I'm kind of enamored with right now. DC has Snyder and Lemire whom I think are great and that's it. DC also appears to have editors hamstringing their books, which is also a detriment.

On the subject of relatability, I think to an extent both companies have relatable characters, but not in the sense that I share their experience fighting villains. It's the smaller things we can relate to, if you notice them in the book, not the hokey or grandiose things that accompany them.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DC comics tend to have an epic, often cosmic scope, examining the very nature of what a superhero is and what he or she means to the universe.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Posted by ShootingNova (9408 posts) - 9 months, 19 days ago - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@fingernail9 said:

Beside DC's godly characters, and Marvel being owned by Disney now, what are the main differences you guys notice? DC comics can get pretty confusing with all their multiverse stuff. While Marvel mostly does it in their Fantastic Four titles. I'm sure there's plenty other differences, but I'm just curious to know what you guys think.

Well, in most cases, DC characters are heroes first. They got their personalities, flaws and character development later in their publication history. They are demigods among humans, role models and not that relatable.

Marvel characters are the opposite. They were created not as heroes but as relatable normal human beings with flaws and pathetic stories. Their character development is about how they deal with their superpowers.

Nice....

This. Although its changed a bit in the New 52, DCs writing on some books (JLA) for example seems darker, the preparation to confront the JL and all the backdoor deals and machinations seem Marvel like to me. DC still has the stigma of bright sunny four color comics, everyone had their own cities and sidekicks, a lot of similar Supes based power sets blah blah blah. For all its flaws the New52 seems to have gone in another direction from that.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I think Marvel does a better job at puting their lesser known (not top 5) characters out there for people to see. I think DC is far more content with letting batman, superman and wonder woman run things that they neglect so many amazing characters. (and when they do give characters a chance, often they don't give them much of a chance)

MarvelFanBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we can all relate to the Hulk's multiple personality disorder, or Stark's alcoholism. Don't know about Moon Knight or FF.

And we can all relate to our wife having a miscarriage? Look, don't try and change the rules here. Plus, Stark also has a brain tumor, Moon knight has actual split personality disorder, not with Hulks, and the Fantastic Four mainly involves marital problems between Reed and Sue and then standard kid problems.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we can all relate to the Hulk's multiple personality disorder, or Stark's alcoholism. Don't know about Moon Knight or FF.

And we can all relate to our wife having a miscarriage? Look, don't try and change the rules here. Plus, Stark also has a brain tumor, Moon knight has actual split personality disorder, not with Hulks, and the Fantastic Four mainly involves marital problems between Reed and Sue and then standard kid problems.

Not many can relate to brain tumors and split personality disorders

#64 Posted by ShootingNova (9408 posts) - 9 months, 19 days ago - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@fingernail9 said:

Beside DC's godly characters, and Marvel being owned by Disney now, what are the main differences you guys notice? DC comics can get pretty confusing with all their multiverse stuff. While Marvel mostly does it in their Fantastic Four titles. I'm sure there's plenty other differences, but I'm just curious to know what you guys think.

Well, in most cases, DC characters are heroes first. They got their personalities, flaws and character development later in their publication history. They are demigods among humans, role models and not that relatable.

Marvel characters are the opposite. They were created not as heroes but as relatable normal human beings with flaws and pathetic stories. Their character development is about how they deal with their superpowers.

Nice....

This. Although its changed a bit in the New 52, DCs writing on some books (JLA) for example seems darker, the preparation to confront the JL and all the backdoor deals and machinations seem Marvel like to me. DC still has the stigma of bright sunny four color comics, everyone had their own cities and sidekicks, a lot of similar Supes based power sets blah blah blah. For all its flaws the New52 seems to have gone in another direction from that.

Stereotype

MarvelFanBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not many can relate to brain tumors and split personality disorders

I know someone who had a brain tumor. Plus, one in five men admit to having an alcohol problem. Just because I say something is relateable, doesn't mean everyone can relate to it, just that a fair amount of people can. They're real life problems that a lot of real people can relate to. If you don't know anyone who has/had a brain tumor, has/had an alcohol problem, has split personality disorder or has marital issues, then lucky you, but a fair majority know someone with at least one of them, or has one of them themselves. Just because you don't, doesn't mean nobody else does.

krunkeela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By krunkeela

@doomdoomdoom: I think the Marvel's that are 3.99 come with a digital copy though. 2.99 If they don't, like Hawkeye or Deadpool.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

The overall story of Marvel: The everyman becoming something extraordinary.

The overall story of DC: Gods among men.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The idea that DC characters are all unrelatable supergods and Marvel characters are all realistic humans with normal problems hasn't been true in about 30 years

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea that DC characters are all unrelatable supergods and Marvel characters are all realistic humans with normal problems hasn't been true in about 30 years

addikhabbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. It's pretty awesome on both sides right now. New 52 and Marvel Now! are quite good.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By NeonPheonix

@deadcool said:

They are the same thing, and fanboys would never see the truth.

Your gonna start a flame war with that nonsense lol

I think that Marvel is more realistic and grounded

DC is more about role models and the greater good no matter what

Avatar image for kristielovesyooh
KristieLovesYooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the fifference is..

DC- is natural.. they show that yoi can be a hero without drugs or being injected with something to make you a hero.

marvel- these heros are not mormal, they have had something happened to them to make the strong and such... such as, spiderman~ bit by a spider , hulk~ something to do with drinking soomething, iron man ~ something implanted in his chest.

i think this is a big difference. both are good, but i honestly like Dc better. (:

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 the_stegman  Moderator

One has Batman, one doesn't.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate when people say that Marvel only focuses on Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Avengers titles when that's clearly more than what DC can (bother to) handle. Heck, add Daredevil and Hulk to that list.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel focuses on their secondary characters way better than DC.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

One company wasn't stupid enough to screw with over 70 years of history and the other company was

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 the_stegman  Moderator

One company wasn't stupid enough to screw with over 70 years of history and the other company was

26 years of history. COIE made anything before it void.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@daredevil21134 said:

26 years of history. COIE made anything before it void.

Whatever lol, fine 26 still stupid though

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a DC guy myself but I can appreciate Spider-Man, Silver Surfer, Thor etc.

The only real difference I can think of is this: Marvel seemingly, for better or worse, involves "sky-father level" characters in character interactions more so than DC. Odin and Zeus have been seen, on more than one occasion, fighting non-pantheon characters before: Odin vs Galactus, vs Thanos, Zeus vs Hulk etc. I've never seen, for example, a Mongul vs Zeus in DC. Ares has shown up a number of times before whenever Wondy is around, but that's about it.

GoblinAlGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pepsi, or... COKE

Muahahahahjajajajaja

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

DC is a quality company :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel didn't make a crappy reboot that lessened what made their characters great.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One has Batman and the other has Batman-wannabes

lol

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of stupid answers :)

Seriously, though, they both have good and bad qualities. Also, they took inspiration from one another through the years, so you can find that there are more similarities than before.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#131  Edited By Lvenger

Marvel didn't make a crappy reboot that lessened what made their characters great.

DC don't desecrate most of their great character's legacies by writing stupid, asinine stories that do things to the character only the warped execs of Marvel want though. And kill fan favourite characters off for no reason whatsoever. Gotta keep the counterbalance open Wolvie, Marvel are far from what they used to be as well.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dc having the 2 greatest heroes in the omniverse

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

DC don't desecrate most of their great character's legacies by writing stupid, asinine stories that do things to the character only the warped execs of Marvel want though. And kill fan favourite characters off for no reason whatsoever. Gotta keep the counterbalance open Wolvie, Marvel are far from what they used to be as well.

Oh I know, I was just venting about how I'm not feeling most of the New 52. Aqauman and Green Arrow have been awesome though. Sure, Marvel desecrates their iconic characters like Spider-Man, but didn't you hear? DC will have Superior Superman starting soon. Get ready for Lex Luthor in Superman's body killing people :D

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

DC seems more fantasy and Marvel is more exaggerated reality

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference?

Batman and Superman :P

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The responses came opposite of what I had anticipated. I would have said Marvel dealt more with the cosmic beings (Thanos, gods, entities) and DC was more of the superhuman with exception to people that are close to god level like Superman and lanterns.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadcool said:

They are the same thing, and fanboys would never see the truth.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

One of them killed their flagship character a year ago and the other didn't.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Different characters not better or worse just different.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By russellmania77

better characters in DC

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#142  Edited By Mulder15

Marvel killed off Peter Parker. Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and Diana are all still alive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mulder15: Because they have never died before.

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#144  Edited By Mulder15

@hyiena: Clark was dead for a year. Bruce was clearly shown to be alive at the end of Final Crisis and when Diana died it was incredibly short, so short that almost everyone has forgotten about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Peter will be back too.

TycontheEnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By TycontheEnder
Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Tyrus

What's with all these Marvel vs DC threads? Usually the OP begins with "DC has been doing this which I like, but Marvel has unfortunately been doing that - but whatever my opinion doesn't matter so what do you guys think?" lol, can it be the opposite for once?

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Blackdog2009

DC has the greatest superhero in the world: Superman AND Batman!

Avatar image for theincrediblecj10
theincrediblecj10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love them both but the price is what draws me to DC, plus I love Batman lol

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers