#1 Edited by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

When was it changed from Erik Lehnsherr to Max Eisenhardt ?

#2 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

@khan_noonien_singh: Well that suck considering every other freaking medium of entertainment still refer to him as Erik Lehnsherr

#4 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: That is probably his actual name in those mediums. Or, just like in the 616 universe, no one knows any better except Magneto.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

@khan_noonien_singh: It's little things like this that annoy the living hell out of me. Could not care in any way about Doc Ock be comeing the new spiderman. Find out that magnetos real name was changed almost 6 years ago and has no real impact on the story, and I'm all annoyed.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (82806 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither name is all that great. Why do they bother to change it anyway?

#7 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: But if it's a small change and doesn't have a big impact on the story then why would it annoy you..?

#8 Posted by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: Don't know actually. I'm annoyed yeah but Eh what you going do :P

#9 Edited by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: As I understand it, the name change was done to be more "40s German-Jew", but that's just what I heard.

#10 Posted by JediXMan (30206 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked Erik more than Max. Just seems like an unnecessary change.

#11 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I always liked Erik more than Max. Just seems like an unnecessary change.

I agree.

#12 Posted by MaccyD (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Marvel supposedly never retcon anything, how do they explain him using a different name for 30/40 years?

#13 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11323 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly always forget his other name is Max Eisenhart. I don't think I've ever read a story where he's referred to as Max. It's always Erik, which I think is the better name, and the name they use in all movies and TV shows. Now I'm questioning my knowledge of X-Men…he's only been Max since 2008? I don't think they've used it since then either..

#14 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: As I understand it, the name change was done to be more "40s German-Jew", but that's just what I heard.

This would make the most sense. And like the majority mentioned on this thread, I think he is still called Erik by the majority of people in Marvel U.

#15 Posted by Dernman (14913 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll always be Erik Lehnsherr to me.

#16 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2140 posts) - - Show Bio

What! This happened!! Erik lehnsherr is his name.

#17 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

His real name is Lee Harvey Oswald.

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

His real name is Lee Harvey Oswald.

Awful viral video.

Anyway, I don't think it really matters. I'm happy with Erik Lehnsherr.

#19 Posted by JetiiMitra (8409 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Since Marvel supposedly never retcon anything, how do they explain him using a different name for 30/40 years?

Marvel does retcons.

#20 Posted by MaccyD (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Yeah, but they said something about they never forget any mistakes, they just make up an excuse for it.

#21 Posted by SC (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

Given how great Magneto Testament and how much research went into that story and the holocaust by Pak, I would say its a very clever and good name. It also explains why Magneto calls himself well Magneto, it sets up a running theme. Also its the characters real name, as opposed to adopted name, not everyone will always use their real name, especially when it comes to having to issues of security, safety, trust and all that. Its a bit like Wolverine and Logan and James. Depends on the character and how close and intimate they are with the person to refer to them as either names.

I can understand people opposed to change, but all of Magneto's and depth and character came many years after the character was created by Stan, so should we just dismiss all of it because thats not what the character originally was?

#22 Posted by westy206 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure his uncle was called Erik and he used this name in his memory when using an alter ego.