Magneto's pont of view.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DocFatalis

Who else thinks that as pragmatic and pessimistic as it might be, Magneto's vision of the relations between mutants and regular human beings is the right one.

Would we really accept to be replaced on top of the food chain, would we not try to use the mutants or contain them? What do you think, because, even though it hurts to admit it, I think Magneto is right: we'd either try to enslave or control the mutants if they existed, especially if we had the certainty that they are about come in larger numbers every year.

What do you think?

Ps: sorry for the typo in the thread's title, I can't seem to be able to change that.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

well, seeing as the X-Men are still being antagonized by humanity left and right after decades, I would say Magneto knows what he is talking about

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Xanni15

And there wouldn't be an Xavier to save us.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DocFatalis

@Xanni15: We'd probably try to exterminate him first given his mind manipulation powers.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xanni15

@DocFatalis:

We all gonna die. :(

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Enosisik

The governments would want to test them and try to figure out how to use, control or get rid of the powers but I really doubt we'd have a mutant zoo or exactly as much of a problem as in the comic. People are more understanding now than they were when the x-men was created. In the marvel universe I think both Mag and X are half right in different areas .

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@cattlebattle said:

well, seeing as the X-Men are still being antagonized by humanity left and right after decades, I would say Magneto knows what he is talking about

Essentially, this. The majority of X-Men stories just reinforce what Magneto is saying.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think thats the beauty of the Magneto/Xavier ideological difference/opposition. Both have merit and the potential for flaws. Humans don't have to wait to be replaced by mutants to harbor strong resentment towards others, including other humans and even lesser species, and people who see superficial divides that separate each other will be prone to seeing them everywhere. People try to enslave people and mutants have tried to enslave mutants. So Magnetos POV in simple terms starts off with the premise that there are inherently more differences with/than mutants and humans and with Xavier there are other factors that should be accounted for, such as a human or mutants goodness/badness. You can apply this to lots of things. What's more important in real life? A persons skin color or a persons hobby? If you have two white people and two black people, one white person is evil, and one black person is evil, and one black person is good and one white person is good, and you had to separate those four people into groups? How? Does a person group them by skin color or by good/evil? Add in prejudice, add in the fact that people belong to multiple groups, it gets tricky fast. Magnetos POV relies on the fact that people are naturally bigoted and prone to judging and grouping themselves and others into groups. Xavier's POV is basically a plea to people to consider what is valuable about a person and to dismiss superficial differences in favor of what's really important.      

Swagger462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Swagger462

Magneto is completely correct he just goes about it the wrong way.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocFatalis

Thanks for your opinions, guys and gals. The more I re-read my old X-men stories, the more I believe he is sometimes the most reasonable one. Of course he has shown wayyy too bellicose in multiple occasions, but I now believe that Xavier's idealism will ultimately more dangerous for mutants.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

@Enosisik said:

The governments would want to test them and try to figure out how to use, control or get rid of the powers but I really doubt we'd have a mutant zoo or exactly as much of a problem as in the comic. People are more understanding now than they were when the x-men was created. In the marvel universe I think both Mag and X are half right in different areas .

HA! I've now had my laugh for the day, thank you very much, sir or madam.

In answer to your question, @DocFatalis, yes, Magneto's right. If mutants could escape capture long enough to prove their value, i.e., with superheroics, get out in the public eye in such a way that a cover up is impossible, they'll have a chance. But only if they constantly help humanity. They'll still be hated. They'll still be despised. But they'll have some people, reasonable people, few as they are, on their side. But with growing numbers every year? One of them will slip up. Maybe not even one of them. All it takes is one Magneto. One mutant going bad, using their powers to steal, or destroy something, doesn't matter. One wrong move from one mutant kid too young to know any better, and the wolves will swoop down on all mutants. Those reasonable people will ask, "It's not all their faults." And they'll be answered with, "THIS IS WHAT THEY CAN DO, DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE?!" Fear will over ride reason, as it always does, and mutants will either be pushed to extinction, or they'll takeover. And admittedly? The latter is far more likely.

The even worse possibility is that it won't be them who screws up, it'll be us. Maybe they found the governments captured some and are experimenting. More likely than not, one of us, or more, just attacks one for being a mutant. Mutant defends themselves. Suddenly they're a monster. Humanity's never been reasonable, it's actions never hard to predict. Find the easy course, the least reasonable and the one most motivated by fear, or anger. You now know what humanity will do under a situation.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DocFatalis

@JonSmith said:

@Enosisik said:

HA! I've now had my laugh for the day, thank you very much, sir or madam.

In answer to your question, @DocFatalis, yes, Magneto's right. If mutants could escape capture long enough to prove their value, i.e., with superheroics, get out in the public eye in such a way that a cover up is impossible, they'll have a chance. But only if they constantly help humanity. They'll still be hated. They'll still be despised. But they'll have some people, reasonable people, few as they are, on their side. But with growing numbers every year? One of them will slip up. Maybe not even one of them. All it takes is one Magneto. One mutant going bad, using their powers to steal, or destroy something, doesn't matter. One wrong move from one mutant kid too young to know any better, and the wolves will swoop down on all mutants. Those reasonable people will ask, "It's not all their faults." And they'll be answered with, "THIS IS WHAT THEY CAN DO, DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THAT CHANCE?!" Fear will over ride reason, as it always does, and mutants will either be pushed to extinction, or they'll takeover. And admittedly? The latter is far more likely.

The even worse possibility is that it won't be them who screws up, it'll be us. Maybe they found the governments captured some and are experimenting. More likely than not, one of us, or more, just attacks one for being a mutant. Mutant defends themselves. Suddenly they're a monster. Humanity's never been reasonable, it's actions never hard to predict. Find the easy course, the least reasonable and the one most motivated by fear, or anger. You now know what humanity will do under a situation.

Very sadly, I am afraid two thousand years of the history of humanity seriously suggest that you are right. I am not sure human nature can be changed, even with time. Have people really improved since the Athens' republic. I don't think so.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enosisik

@jonsmith..Laugh all you want but unless you're over 40 years old then you haven't been alive long enough to see it first hand. Or you could read a history book at the very least and see the changes... Yes somethings in someplaces have not improved but overall they have. You don't have race riots everyday like we did in the 60's. A lot of things have changed , just maybe not in your eyes because you have no direct experience in it.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xanni15

@Enosisik said:

@jonsmith..Laugh all you want but unless you're over 40 years old then you haven't been alive long enough to see it first hand. Or you could read a history book at the very least and see the changes... Yes somethings in someplaces have not improved but overall they have. You don't have race riots everyday like we did in the 60's. A lot of things have changed , just maybe not in your eyes because you have no direct experience in it.

Referencing a history book and the lack of race riots doesn't mean society has improved, all you have to do is watch the news or read a newspaper (neither unbiased and 100% accurate) to see the atrocities committed every single day by supposed evolved individuals, and this is against other humans. People all around the world are ostracized and killed for being "different" so just imagine if mutants were shown to exist, the human race would be terrified. In the mind of many, things have gotten much worse and do not look to improve any time soon. History has always been written a certain way and shown that the human race is not only slow to accept change but also is scared of it.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnnyWalker
No Caption Provided
Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enosisik

@/xanni15/... Then you're blind. People like you who refuse to see change limit the advancement of change. I watch the news almost every day and whatever racial violence that does happen is in a secluded incident. 100 years ago entire states were lynching ppl. 60 years ago entire states were still segregated. When's the last time you saw a cross being burned in a front yard? You have no idea how much things have changed because you havent lived it. Even 20+ years ago in my area most black kids went to one school while most whites went to another but only within the past few years laws have been put in place to disallow that. Now there is desegregation laws in place to make sur that the new generation grows together . ..