Posted by inferiorego (28309 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

This is a really new take on Magneto, and it works incredibly well. Magneto isn't the typical hero or even the typical villain in this series. He's more of this middle-of-the-road detective. Yeah, that sound incredibly weird that Magneto is solving crimes, but it works so well in this first issue.

Obviously, we're not going to spoil anything particular about the issue, but the lead in to this first story isn't only the perfect place for anyone to jump on, but it's incredibly engaging. It doesn't matter if you've never read an X-book before or you're longtime a fan. This book is hard to put down.

As far as Marvel comics go, I've never felt the tone that writer Cullen Bunn, artist Gabriel Hernandez Walta, and colorist Jordie Bellaire present to the reader. This book has a very haunting feel to it. It's not fun or funny and it's not overly serious. It's just very haunting, something readers rarely see in comic books. It's an issue that will stick with you after reading it because it does have disturbing elements to it, while just being an incredibly entertaining comic. A lot of this "haunting" feeling comes from the narration from Magneto, throughout the book. Bunn does an amazing job at making the reader feel for the character and get a better understanding for him, while giving him a unique voice, throughout the narration.

On the art side of things, artist Gabirel Hernandez Wala, with colorist Jordie Bellaire, really help elevate the tone of this book, while giving the reader some great looking art. Things look dirty and gritty, and Bellaire's colors are toned down a bit, compared to her other work. It all looks great and meshes with Bunn's writing so well.

The Bad

The problems with this debut issue are few and far between. There's still a little confusion over Magneto's powers.His powers are broken, but at times, he seems to have good control over them at the end of the issue, even though he states earlier he can't really fly anymore without wearing himself out.

It's a tad hard to swallow this book, at times. Magneto is more of a Punisher archetype here: an anti-hero. It works, but it may be tough for old school X-Men fans to accept this fully. However, it works.

The Verdict

The majority of the time, when a member of the X-Men gets their own solo book, it lacks purpose and direction. It feels like a cash grab, waiting to fizzle out into cancellation. MAGNETO is a book with a purpose and it feels right. This first issue really sticks with the reader because of the tone and it blew me away. This book has a very talented writing and art team behind it. This first issue really grabs you, and while there are a few small problems, like what's going on with Mangeto's powers and it being tough to swallow that Magneto is a bit of a Punisher archetype, the overall book is still fantastic.

#1 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3902 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot wait, Magneto is in my top 5 Comic characters to read I am happy he got a solo again.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13398 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto....a detective??

Magnet P.I.--- How did they miss calling him that??? Or what about Dragnet?? With emphasis on the....never mind

The thing I don't like about the books premise is that they keep teasing "Will Magneto go back to his villainous ways!!??" I mean, if you are a person who has read X-men for a long time, the character has flipped and flopped so much, you just don't care anymore at a certain point, despite how well written it is. You know what I mean??

#3 Edited by w0nd (4076 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: ahah AHAHAH BAHAHAHAH i can't stop laughin, Im such a nerd

#4 Edited by iceman228433 (65 posts) - - Show Bio

So exited for this book.

#5 Posted by Experio (17240 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprising.

#8 Posted by Bezza (3861 posts) - - Show Bio

hee, hee, I peaked a sneak viewing today at my comic store and it looks very good, a bit different, but good all the same. You will love the action parts where Mags does his thing.

#10 Posted by Hawkguy (585 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! I'm really looking forward to it. The panel with the poor fellow with all the street signs just oozed villainous Magneto. Cullen Bunn's curse of cancelled titles just needs to get lifted!

On that note, I've noticed a lot of hate for the guy on other websites... Its odd because I've always enjoyed his work.

#11 Posted by The_Tree (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see a positive review. I'm not a big X-guy, but I liked Bunn's Venom and the art in the previews looked great, so I'm excited to check this out.

#12 Posted by BumBurger (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Magneto and Cyclops get into a fight or something? why did he leave Uncanny X-men? i might need to go back and read it... last one i read was when he went to that new mutant haven ran by mystique and he flipped out and ran

#13 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7084 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet.

#14 Posted by Novemberx2 (481 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs to be a villain again, he's been wasted and abused as a character for years.

#15 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the art, which I admit grew a little on me, the writing for this book was great. One issue in and I want more. It will definitely be interesting to see how this series plays out as it seems it's going to inch more and more back to Erik being MAGNETO: MUTANT TERRORIST! And I love it!

#16 Edited by tomlikesfries (4892 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read my entire pull for this week yet, but I find it unlikely that any of my other stuff will be any better than this. Top-notch art and some fantastic writing indeed.

#17 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Magneto and Cyclops get into a fight or something? why did he leave Uncanny X-men? i might need to go back and read it... last one i read was when he went to that new mutant haven ran by mystique and he flipped out and ran

Nah, they're on good terms. Magneto just has his own separate agenda. Even since the beginning of Uncanny X-Men, he's been running solo errands without anyone's permission. I suppose you could say that he's kind of like Wolverine back in the day. The guy who helps out every once and a while, but mainly focuses on his own life.

#18 Edited by Owie (3964 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a pretty solid issue. But I do have some real questions about the direction of his character. It was never exactly resolved what his relationship with SHIELD was in Uncanny X-Men, at least to my satisfaction. And his visit to Madripoor earlier didn't seem to change him as radically as we see here. I just hope we get some more background on his change in attitude.

#19 Posted by jackbensley777 (685 posts) - - Show Bio

so stupid, he looks stupid(cant believe his head was shaved!), the art is stupid (looks just plain and straight), the character concept has become stupid.

#20 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

Only problem was a bald Magneto is a little weird.

But I liked it <3

Oh and If you read it in the Hannibal voice from the Tv Show Hannibal it makes it so much better

#21 Edited by deadpool25mm (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Only problem was a bald Magneto is a little weird.

But I liked it <3

Oh and If you read it in the Hannibal voice from the Tv Show Hannibal it makes it so much better

Hannibals voice is awesome!