Magic vs. Science vs. Cosmic

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PurpleCandy

Magic, Science, and Cosmic, all prove to be a great threat when released. But when these 3 elements rain which one pours harder. I'm just going to put in some notes and examples

1. Magic defines mostly people will mystical abilities which seem to be hard to counter. Such as people from the rogues gallery of Dr. Strange and Thor
  2. Science However just as people like Tony Stark seem to defeat Mystical foes, Technological villains are also known to give magicians and otherwordly characters a run for there money aswell. Villains like Dr. Doom, Lex, Osborn, and Doc Ock.
  3. And Cosmic, ofcourse we have characters like Galactus, Darkseid, Thanos, Ego, Sinestro, and more. There my favorite type of villain, but everyone can be bested, and these all have been before but usually to those who have a similiar skillset

So like I said, when these 3 elements rain which one pours harder, or which one is the mostly deadly.

fondofpacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By fondofpacman

Classic Strange has the greatest feats of any marvel hero, so based mostly on that, I'd say Magic tends to trump cosmic or scientific powers more than not. Especially since there's usually a fairly straight-forward recourse for battling a technological or cosmic attacks, whereas people who do not have access to some sort of Magic power or knowledge will be very vulnerable to mystic attacks.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic as explained below.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/magic-vs-science-vs-cosmic/692284/?page=2

Post by Eternal19 (325 posts) See mini bio Level 9
FollowSend a PM

@PurpleCandy: magic is more versatile and since the gods are considered magical beings, it ends in an utter curbstomp for the science and cosmic people

Posted 5 days ago
Post by The_Soverighn (1,290 posts) See mini bio Level 11
FollowSend a PM

COSMICS

Some Of The Most Powerful Comicbook Character Are Cosmic Based

Example

• Galactus
  • Anti-Monitor
  • Mandrakk
  • Mr. Manhattan
  • Living Tribunal
  • Monitor
  • The Watchers
Posted 5 days ago
Post by PurpleCandy (340 posts) See mini bio Level 11
FollowSend a PM

@Eternal19 said:

@PurpleCandy: magic is more versatile and since the gods are considered magical beings, it ends in an utter curbstomp for the science and cosmic people

Hah you said its a curbstomp for the science and cosmic people, but I suppose your right.

Edited 5 days ago
Post by Hyperlight (532 posts) See mini bio Level 14
FollowSend a PM

cosmic, cosmic beings usually encompass the very fabrics of the universe. tech can only acomplish as much as the mind that weilds it. while magic isnt bound by conventional laws it still has rules. cosmic beings usually have dominion or much of reality. look at it this way... Eternity may not be a being of magic or science... but everything those two encompass is a part of him.

Posted 4 days, 23 hours ago
Post by Holaso (42 posts) See mini bio Level 9
FollowSend a PM

Cosmic. Magic is a close second but I downgraded it because in stories...it is always magic that has a chance to fail, be undependable, or grow weak.

Posted 4 days, 22 hours ago
Post by Trodorne (1,456 posts) See mini bio Level 30
FollowSend a PM

Cosmic, Magic and Science all have their flaws.

Magic always comes with a cost being a spiritual cost or maybe due to the fact its chaotic in nature and balance is always a must in preservation of reality itself.

Cosmic is based on energy from the person it is not unlimited but something like the phoenix and galactus feed on the life of other planets and people to regain lost strength.

Science is limited to gadgets and other devices to help win in battle. so if it breaks down then they are helpless unless they can get that device repaired.

Posted 4 days, 22 hours ago
Post by SC (8,151 posts) See mini bio Level 32
Online Now
FollowSend a PM
Science. Science wins because ta dah, its a banner which both "magic" and "cosmic" fall under. Magic is basically used or invoked when a character is dealing with something they either don't understand or know (think humans from hundreds of years ago) or because they the character apply some method of science without really realizing, like Odin for example. The term cosmic aside from being extremely ambiguous and possibly referring to a type of energy, a status, a power scope, or a matter of geography still essentially involves science. Its really more about an individual characters understanding of reality. Dr Doom for example is extremely intelligent and thus he has powers or access to powers that can fall under both magic or cosmic, but to him its just science. Think of Thanos as well, born mutated, used science to enhance himself, wasn't born on Earth, can manipulate energy out there considered cosmic energy, thus considered "cosmic" knows of other types of energy/power types, when speaking to Odin explains that his magic energy is still energy.       
Posted 4 days, 21 hours ago
Post by Aiden Cross (12,645 posts) See mini bio Level 17
FollowSend a PM
I agree with SC.
Post by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (2,023 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Online Now

Cosmic is Science....

That's why we see this usually happening to Cosmic characters rather than Magical characters.

Magic actually rains down on reality the hardest.

They are the reason why the Sorcerer Supreme was created. They cause the Living Tribunal more to worry about because they are the very defiance of the Cosmic Compass of reality.

• Zom
  • Nebulos
  • Shuma-Gorath
  • Slorith
  • Chthon
  • Beyonder
  • Nightmare
  • D'Spayre
  • Dormammu

Are pretty much all the big guys that causes more havoc in a multiverse than any science.

But don't confuse, Inndimensional magic characters (Within Cosmic) to Extradimensional magic characters (outside of cosmic order).

Post by Rumble Man (4,055 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Online Now
FollowSend a PM
No Caption Provided
Posted 4 days, 16 hours ago
Post by AtPhantom (12,906 posts) See mini bio Level 15
FollowSend a PM

There is no deadliest element!

It's not about what you wield, it's how much you wield. Magic users can defeat cosmics can defeat scientists can defeat magic users and so on and so on. Any questionslike this are completely flawed and missing the point.

Posted 4 days, 14 hours ago
Post by knighthood (481 posts) See mini bio Level 23
Online Now
FollowSend a PM

I agree with the Cosmic is Science idea. Magic is much more unpredictable.

Posted 4 days, 13 hours ago
Post by Twentyfive (1,225 posts) See mini bio Level 12
FollowSend a PM

Science! Science can save the world. That, plus Magic is boring as fuuuuuudge!!!!

Posted 4 days, 13 hours ago
FollowSend a PM

I forgot to list Ultron and Braniac, which fall under science but I just listed evil geniuses

Edited 4 days, 1 hour ago
Post by minigunman123 (928 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Online Now
FollowSend a PM

I had a thread like this, it was http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/villain-comparison/666567/ I didn't describe the OP very well though, which is probably why it never caught speed.

Anyway, I think magic usually wins out, then cosmic, and science is usually the last one unless a scientific mind figures out a way to harness the other two forces... Though I'm not sure that's fair.

Posted 4 days, 1 hour ago
FollowSend a PM

@Rumble Man said:

No Caption Provided

Made my day! I sound like a noob but who is that?

Posted 22 hours, 2 minutes ago
Post by Hazlenaut (1,316 posts) See mini bio Level 15
FollowSend a PM

Just to ask what is magic tech considered. The characters that throw away that rule that it should not be combined.

Posted 20 hours, 12 minutes ag

Online Now

Remember folks:

Fundamental Forces = Science

Magic bounded by the Fundamentals like the elements = Innerdimensional Magic

Science + Innerdimentional Magic = Alchemy

Magic that is NOT bound by the laws of the Fundamental Forces = Extradimensional Magic

Not being bounded by the Fundamental Laws of the Universe means Science can not comprehend it.

Posted 19 hours, 44 minutes ago
Online Now

@Hazlenaut said:

Just to ask what is magic tech considered. The characters that throw away that rule that it should not be combined.

Alchemy.

Posted 19 hours, 44 minutes ago
Post by Rumble Man (4,055 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Online Now
FollowSend a PM

@PurpleCandy:

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Posted 17 hours, 52 minutes ago
Post by Liara (329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
FollowSend a PM

I like all 3 groups, but cosmic and science over magic.

Posted 9 hours, 37 minutes ago
Post by Selinaky (114 posts) See mini bio Level 11
FollowSend a PM

I think that cosmic is most powerful, but magic is my favourite of the three.

Posted 9 hours, 32 minutes ago
Online Now

Cosmics (four fundamentals of the universe) can't be the most powerful because you can alter it via science.

Same can't be said with magic.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@purplecandy:

Speaking about the Marvel Universe here.

Science honestly has the edge up on both magic and cosmic because, in a certain sense, both are actually scientific things. Characters in comics have used technology to manipulate both.

The difference between cosmic and magic is pretty interesting. Magic seems to be more about manipulating the fabric of reality itself. Cosmic is more about utilizing the vast abundances of energy in existence to do with as you please. Generally, as you go up the totem pole of Marvel, the more powerful beings generally tend to be cosmic based. Such as Galactus or the entire race of Celestials, or the Beyonders. Same thing with artifacts like The Cosmic Cube and the Infinity Gauntlet/gems. They are all cosmic. Abstracts like Eternity, Infinity, Death, etc, Have a combination of all of the above to the point where it's hard to tell the difference. Although they are generally considered cosmic entities. So on the Marvel side of things, cosmic seems to be more powerful than magic. Not saying that magic is weak. It just works differently.

The opposite is true in DC. Magic generally reigns supreme.

ElvinIsaev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Magic is Super Science in Dc Comics.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosmic is just another word for magic that can be used without clashing with sci fi themes.

"Be careful! That thing can warp the very fabric of space and time and defy all laws of physics!"

"So... It's magic."

"What? N-no! It draws on the cosmic power of the universe to-"

"That's what I said, magic."

"But it comes from a Hellish dimension beyond our world!"

"That's straight up magic."

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 seastone98  Online

Magic bitch

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosmic.

Britain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic Users should win but it all depends on how Unbound Spectre fits in.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Magic.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ughhhh Dr. Manhatten just laughed at magic being magic.

No Caption Provided

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At a certain point, Magic and Cosmic become the same thing. And Cosmic is sorta pseudo science

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 Soratoumiga  Online

Magic

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 takenstew22  Moderator

Cosmic = magic > science

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As said, cosmic is just magic with a more scifi-ring to it.

Typically cosmic beings have a single source for their powers and belong to a hierarchy in-which their level is fairly static; whereas magic users borrow powers from many different sources allowing them to basically fight above their natural pay-grade.

Science wizards are basically wildcards who are as powerful as whatever wacky invention a writer decides to pull out via “prep” at any given moment. Why characters who can build things that put them on level with cosmic entities don’t just use that tech all the time, is beyond me...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebb616323ddd
deactivated-5ebb616323ddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magic

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk, DC has the 5D imps use super science and even some Shazam and other pre-crisis have super science as a gimmick

DC1008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosmic baby

Kidolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren’t they all basically the same thing at a certain point?

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue molecule man and Thanos with the ig best him.