Magic, Cosmic, etc.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alak

Ok, so I may be overthinking this here, but this has been bugging me for a while. The gist of my question is what are the differences between cosmic and magic powers? That's the short version. Here's the long, rant-esque version.

Magic has always considered to be a trump card in comics since its nature is unexplainable. There's really no good countermeasure for it aside from using magic. As Jackie Chan's cartoon uncle said, magic must defeat magic. Yet, there's so many different power origins with the label "magic" slapped on them. Demonic characters like Etrigan and Raven have supernatural roots, but they're considered to be magical in nature. Characters like Thor and Wonder Woman have powers derived from godhood, and are also considered to be magical. However, a being like Spectre has powers bestowed upon him by God, and he is typically considered as cosmic (Blue Beetle's anti-magic bubble did squat against him). His rival, Eclipso, is the wrath of God but his (or her) powerset is considered to be magical. Zatanna's abilities are genetically derived, but she's a self-proclaimed magic user.

So, I began to wonder how the terms cosmic and magical could be interchangeable. Are the Green Lanterns rings fueled with magical or cosmic energy? The Silver Surfer is accepted as cosmic, but could he be considered magical given what his capabilities are? Is there really a difference between cosmic and magic energy, or are they just comic-book labels that we use to apply towards powers that can't be explained through logical and quantification? If there is a difference, how would they fare against each other in combat? As comic book readers, what criteria would you use to determine if someone's powers are rooted in magical or cosmic energy?

Thanks for reading the long wall of text.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bumping to see if anyone has any thoughts on this subject.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

there does seem to be an intersect

I think cosmic powers work better in tandem with advanced technology

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

Cosmic power is like extra-dimensional power except not. It's being powered by the overwhelmingly vast energy of our reality instead of from some external one. It's like having the big bang as your power source.

Such was my take on it anyway.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@alak: I think it might be that every dimension has it's own innate energy, and most magics come from alternate dimensions

but the physical cosmos (galaxies and whatnot) has Cosmic energy as it's innate power

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't view it on a material level. To me, magic is anything related to fantasy: hence characters with concepts related to things like myth, magic, and magical creatures all fall into this category. Cosmic is vaguer, but anything related to space would fall into this category - aliens, explorers, generally more science-fiction inclined elements.

But comics by their nature are a multigenre concept, so naturally these aspects will occasionally overlap. The Dire Wraiths, for example, are a race of aliens that utilize magic.