Looking to read Green Lantern

MabPwnU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SORRY FOR THE GIANT WALL OF TEXT XD

I know this has been asked a million times and i do apologize XD and ive searched online on where to start reading Green Lantern. Most of them say start with Rebirth. I JUST finished reading it (literally like 5 minutes ago) and it referrenced alot of different things. Coast City and how Hal is the Spectre? While Rebirth was effing amazing to read, i feel lost in the Green Lantern world. I want to read Green Lantern, but i dont want to read the ones back in the 60s, as i think most of them are just 'another story' where nothing SUPER interesting happens story wise. Where would a good place to start be? Because i sorta get compulsive and want to read everything that contains important facts and dont like missing out on anything (like how Coast City was destroyed). And not just the Hal Jordan stuff, i want to read about how the next guy became a Green Lantern and all that :P And also to note, im not a veteran comic reader so i get lost easily when theres cross overs and what not :P. I have the money to invest in buying whatever issues I need. SO i guess what im asking is, where is the best place to pickup the series without missing anything THAT important? I know alot of the different comics out there werent THAT great until around the 80s? (i think?) And i dont know if GL has different Volumes. So hypothetically say vol 1 was the ones that were in the 60s, then id want to pick up vol 3 was in the 80s. id want that one? sorry for babbling on. I guess what im also asking is, when i should start reading GL, year wise, so i could just pick up all the ones after that, even cross overs n what not? If anyone could point me in the right direction id GREATLY appreciate it :)

-MabPwnU

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try Green Lantern: Secret Origin and Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War.

And maybe Blackest Night or Green Lantern: Brightest Day. Or New 52's Green Lantern #20. Cuz those issues explains what happened before little bit. But these might confuse you more so be cautious before you read.

GL universe is kinda complicated for new readers...if you want to what happened before Green Lantern: Rebirth, I recommend read Wikipedia. Not books during early 90s.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@mabpwnu: i would say start reading sinestro corps war then keepy going from there! Read blackest day and green lantern war and the new 52 stuff if you ever need anything wikipedia it thats what i did to keep myself in the loop! I mean once geoff johns took over a lot of the stuff that kyle did as green lantern was basically never stated again!

MabPwnU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MabPwnU

ok awesome! thanks for the responses guys! So jeanespinosa21, lets say i pick up Sinestro corps, and it was released in 1985 (figuratively speaking). i should then read all or most the GL comics and cross overs from that year on right? cause i dont mind reading some of the dumb stories. i just dont want to read the ones from 1960s :P

MabPwnU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so im a bit lost on the reading material. im reading the "Recharge" story and they mention how Kyle brough back the guardians. and ive seen it mentioned in rebirth, but WHY am i reading all this stuff if i havent even read the previous stories? that stuff seems important right? I sorta want to read the older stuff, BUT not too old as to where its just another issue released. So say Volume 2, when does the illustration get better and teh story gets decent? Thinking about trying from there. Since i want to read about how John becomes the lantern and Guy and kyle. Any thoughts on this?

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By jeanespinosa21

@mabpwnu: well your new but if you dont tag the person you're asking the question it wont show up so i could respond, and sinestro corps war was released in 2007 i think followed by blackest night which are great reads then there is brightest day you can skip that arc if you want because its more about how everybody is adjusting to being brought back from the dead. after read war of the green lanterns its the story that leads up into the new 52. If you want to read origins of other lanterns like guy, john or kyle go on wikipedia and read it there! And lastly as soon as hal jordan comes back in green lantern rebirth the story focuses so much on him that kyles old adventures are just briefly mentioned from time to time