#1 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey there Comic Vine peeps. I've lurked around these parts on and off ever since Giant Bomb launched a few years ago, but have never posted.

I'm not exactly new to the world of comic books, but I've never read any. I have always been into DC animated shows and movies, and the recent flow of Marvel movies has gotten me reading more wiki pages for that side of the fence. But, having grown up with the characters from cartoons, I feel more connected to the DC universe. With DC's "relaunch" of many series I feel this is a good place for me to jump in on the reading side of comics without feeling overwhelmed.

Here's the list of what I'm initially interested in,

• Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League
  • The Flash
  • Green Lantern and/or GL Corps
  • Teen Titans

Don't hate me for this, but I went and downloaded the first issues for about ten comics. Now, to be fair, I had no idea if there was something I'd be interested in. Well, after reading just Batman I immediately had an "ALRIGHT, I'M IN" attitude. I probably won't read any of the other ones I got simply because I'd like for the first time I read them to be with a physical copy.

So what do you think about the ones I have listed? Should I add Batman & Robin/Batgirl/Batwoman to get the full experience from the Bat family? I know the story in Batman and Nightwing at least somewhat overlap right now, so I imagine B&R does as well. I thought I read somewhere that the GL comics weren't really reset and their stories were continued in the New 52. Is this true? Would I be confused picking them up? I really like GL, but I feel those books would be the most hard to read for me. I'm super into Young Justice so I want to give Teen Titans a go (yes, I'm aware YJ takes place in a difference universe). Finally, should I read any of Flashpoint before reading The Flash (or any of these really), should I just read up on that in the wiki, or does it not really matter?

Also, how much are single issues? I'm seeing on Amazon that an entire volume ranges from 15-25 dollars. I imagine a single issue can't be more than five bucks?

Thank you in advance for any help!

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Most single issues are $2.99 however there are some that are $3.99 Like Justice League, Action Comics and Detective Comics.

I would suggest going with Green Lantern instead of Green Lantern Corps. Great story. Even though GLC is doing ok I get far more entertainment from GL.

Teen Titans does not look to be doing so hot right now. I actually have not heard one good thing about that book so far. However, if you really want to get into you should test it our for yourself. Some people talk bad about Flash and Blue Beetle but I am loving those titles.

I pick up Batman and Robin and it's great. I also pick up Nightwing and Batwing and they are well worth the read.

Try looking at Aquaman, Flash and Blue Beetle. Blue Beetle has never been a character that has interested me but I have actually been enjoying the book.

#3 Posted by Rixec (371 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely recommend Blue Beetle and Green Lantern: New Guardians.

#4 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: Does Green Lantern only follow one Lantern? I know Earth has had a few, but I'm only familiar with Hal and John. As for Teen Titans, yeah, I've read some mixed opinions about it, but it seems to be reviewing well with Tony so I thought I'd give it a go. Guess I'll seek out the first issue or two before buying into it. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about Blue Beetle. That's definitely something I'll consider picking up once I'm caught up with these other ones.

#5 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't usually do this, but I wanted to bump this for the morning crowd in hope of getting more responses.

#6 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon said:

• Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League
  • The Flash
  • Teen Titans

My opinion

Batman - yes, plus if you thought of adding robin, Batman and Robin is great too from what Ive heard. Also, a friend of mine said BatWoman and Batgirl are pretty good too (Although i dont pick them up for reasons of personal taste)

Nightwing - if you really like Nightwing I think you should try it. Im not the biggest fan but Im still enjoying it

Justice League America - yes, I like this one a lot

The Flash - If you are a fan of the Flash from DC animation, I think you'll like this one

Green Lantern - Green Lantern and GL New Guardians are pretty good in my opinion. I dont care for GL corps, Ive never picked it up, but it does have more Green Lanterns than just focusing on the main character (if you are into it)

Teen Titans .- Even though people have mixed views about this, Im liking it a lot. But that may be because of Tim Drake (Red Robin), Wonder Girl and SuperBoy bias

#7 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon:

The price for single issues has already been mentioned in previous post so I won't talk about that. It seems like you are especially interested in a lot of Gotham heroes. I would recommend picking up Batman, and Nightwing. You won't be disappointed with those two. It seems you are already decided on Batman which its great since it has set the standard high for new 52 comic books while Nightwing has impressed me so check that out if you have the time. Batwoman isn't really affiliated with Batman but I'd recommend you check it out if you have the time. It has been a great read but if you can't it is ok you won't be missing out on anything important in Batman . I'd recommend you at least start picking up Batgirl, Red Hood & the Outlaws, and Batman & Robin when you reach around issue 8 so that you would truly enjoy the great crossover that shapes up in Batman.

Justice League hasn't really impressed me so I won't recommend picking that up until its gets better. I'd recommend picking up Earth 2 instead. Earth 2 is about the Justice Society of America on another earth so it is very similar to Justice League. Only the first issue has been released so far and it has been better than every issue Justice League has released..

Teen Titans has been good so far, it could have been better but if you are a big Teen Titans fan, you won't be too disappointed with the book. Green Lantern has been great. You should definitely check it out. I can't comment on the rest since I am not picking up those books.

#8 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: I'm a little hesitant on Batman and Robin only because Damien is Robin. I wasn't even aware of his character until New 52 launched. I've always like how The Flash has been portrayed in the cartoons, yes, but I'm mainly interested because I've read about all this crazy nonsensical over powered stuff he's capable of and I want to buy into that ASAP, lol.

@soccersss: The Earth 2 stuff definitely sounds interesting from what I've read. Since you mentioned it, I think I will buy into that because it's only one issue in, and then maybe read the first issue or two of vanilla Justice League online to see if I like it. I'm liking what I hear about the crossover that's going on with the Bat family, so I'll add Batgirl to my list. As for Red Hood, I like the idea of the character and I liked the recent movie, but I'll have to see if I like the story being told with him. Is it connected to the Owl stuff going on in the other Bat comics?

I looked around on Amazon and it seems there are some of the Volume 1 hardcovers/paperbacks out. I think I'll pick at least the Batman one of that since they're marked down to ~$15, and that's cheaper than buying #1-7 individually. As for the rest I'll hit up my local comic book store.

Thanks a lot guys!

#9 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon said:

@Jorgevy: I'm a little hesitant on Batman and Robin only because Damien is Robin. I wasn't even aware of his character until New 52 launched. I've always like how The Flash has been portrayed in the cartoons, yes, but I'm mainly interested because I've read about all this crazy nonsensical over powered stuff he's capable of and I want to buy into that ASAP, lol.

@soccersss: The Earth 2 stuff definitely sounds interesting from what I've read. Since you mentioned it, I think I will buy into that because it's only one issue in, and then maybe read the first issue or two of vanilla Justice League online to see if I like it. I'm liking what I hear about the crossover that's going on with the Bat family, so I'll add Batgirl to my list. As for Red Hood, I like the idea of the character and I liked the recent movie, but I'll have to see if I like the story being told with him. Is it connected to the Owl stuff going on in the other Bat comics?

I looked around on Amazon and it seems there are some of the Volume 1 hardcovers/paperbacks out. I think I'll pick at least the Batman one of that since they're marked down to ~$15, and that's cheaper than buying #1-7 individually. As for the rest I'll hit up my local comic book store.

Thanks a lot guys!

If you're looking for additional input still... you definitely have some great ones on your list...

My additional recommendations would be checking out Swamp Thing and Animal Man, they've been phenomenal... there are some sleeper hits that might not've instantly caught your eye... I, Vampire for instance is one that I'd highly recommend... of course, you've got a great point on the hardcovers and paperbacks... so you can always end up catching up that way... but you might be surprised by some unusual books...

Red Hood is connecting to the Owl stuff for (this week's) one issue only... that is another one that has unexpectedly hooked me... I have to say, it is often quite awesome.

#10 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon: Yeah, Flash got a power boost of sorts xD And Damian... Well, Damian is either love or hate. If you love it, you'll love Batman and Robin, if you hate it, well It's still pretty good. But try to find a way to check it out, or maybe ask someone else more into the Robin line of heroes

EDIT: Even if you dont like Aquaman, its one of the best of New 52, it's really good and shows how good Aquaman can be when written properly

#11 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm recommend JLI, which i hear is getting cancelled, so pick it up while you can it's a good series it just didn't stick for whatever reason

#12 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist: @Jorgevy: Swamp Thing and Animal Man are ones I've also heard great things about. But like Blue Beetle, Red Hood, and Aquaman, despite all the good ones out there, I can't afford ALL of them, lol. I kinda already had a long list going into this. I'll probably ended up swapping out or adding one or two from everyone here to the ones I initially start reading. Then for these other ones I hear are good I might get the volume sets after they come out and I can spare the money.

Thanks again duders!

#13 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon: sure dude no problem! And Im sure you will eventually find balance and have a nice affordable selection, good luck and enjoy them!

#14 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin is great, don't be put off by Damian Wayne, he's actually a really great character and plays a fantastic Robin (I think he's especially good in the Grant Morrison Batman and Robin - also well worth a look at!)

Green Arrow, Aquaman and Deathstroke are also well worth reading in the New 52.

I'd recommend Green Lantern over the other three GL story arcs of New 52, let's face it Hal Jordan is the best Earth Green Lantern and it's written by Geoff Johns, who has done great things with GL in the past.

#15 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon: Red Hood and the Outlaws starts off arguably a little controversial and slow for some people but it has been a pretty decent read for me. I hesitated to pick up Batman and Robin at first for similar reasons as you but started picking it up from issue 9, (which, is the most recent issue by the way) and I have to admit Damian was pretty badass in that issue.

Batgirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Batman & Robin and even Birds of Prey and Catwoman gets integrated in the Court of Owls crossover from around issue 8-9. I'd at least suggest you pick up those titles from 9 at best to increase the experience from the crossover. Detective Comics too but I havent heard many good things from Detective Comics so I didn't pick that up.

No problem. Im glad if I helped. Are you interested in any other new 52 titles apart from the ones you mentioned?

#16 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Pick up these if you can first:

• Batman
  • JL
  • Aquaman
  • Flash
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern
  • Action Comics

And if you have extra money:

• Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Batman and Robin
  • Red Hood & Outlaws
  • Nightwing

I also heard Teen Titans, and Batwoman are pretty good.

If you're not sure about some titles, wait for the trade for that title to come out. Nice choice getting it from Amazon, I've had great experiences with them and their books are almost half off.

#17 Edited by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

No problem. Im glad if I helped. Are you interested in any other new 52 titles apart from the ones you mentioned?

Not really? I mean, I like to browse /co/ on 4chan a lot, so I at least have a vague grasp on what's good, what's hit-or-miss, and what's bad. But I feel like if I drum up interest for myself in stuff like Wonder Woman and Aquaman, both I'd probably like since I like JL in general, Blue Beetle, which just seems rad, and Animal Man and Swamp Thing, which everyone seems to think is amazing, that I'll be wanting more than I'm buying, rather than buying most of what I want.

Since a couple people have said both Batgirl and Batwoman are pretty good I think my plan now is to just start off with the Bat family; Batman, B&R, Nightwing, Batgirl, and maybe Batwoman. I'll also get Earth-2 since I won't have to play catch up with it. Then in a couple months I'll start getting a few issues here and there of stuff like The Flash, Green Lantern, etc. When my birthday or Christmas come around I'll try to get the first full Volume of things like Blue Beetle and a couple others mentioned in here.

#18 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon said:

@soccersss said:

Not really? I mean, I like to browse /co/ on 4chan a lot, so I at least have a vague grasp on what's good, what's hit-or-miss, and what's bad. But I feel like if I drum up interest for myself in stuff like Wonder Woman and Aquaman, both I'd probably like since I like JL in general, Blue Beetle, which just seems rad, and Animal Man and Swamp Thing, which everyone seems to think is amazing, that I'll be wanting more than I'm buying, rather than buying most of what I want.

Since a couple people have said both Batgirl and Batwoman are pretty good I think my plan now is to just start off with the Bat family; Batman, B&R, Nightwing, Batgirl, and maybe Batwoman. I'll also get Earth-2 since I won't have to play catch up with it. Then in a couple months I'll start getting a few issues here and there of stuff like The Flash, Green Lantern, etc. When my birthday or Christmas come around I'll try to get the first full Volume of things like Blue Beetle and a couple others mentioned in here.

That is a pretty smart plan. Earth 2 is a good place to start especially if you are like me with little knowledge of the JSA. You'd enjoy it more. Bat-family titles are always a must have especially during this crossover. I hope you enjoy the comics you get

#19 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@MaskedFalcon said:

Here's the list of what I'm initially interested in,

• Batman
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League
  • The Flash
  • Teen Titans

I haven't read the majority of these books, but I can tell you that Teen Titans and Superboy are two very intertwined series. I do not believe you can read one without the other. And honestly, I would really recommend either. Especially if you are thinking of the cartoon Teen Titans.

@Funrush said:

And if you have extra money:

• Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Batman and Robin
  • Red Hood & Outlaws
  • Nightwing

I also heard Teen Titans, and Batwoman are pretty good.

If you're not sure about some titles, wait for the trade for that title to come out. Nice choice getting it from Amazon, I've had great experiences with them and their books are almost half off.

Concerning Funrush's extra money list. I agree with the top 3, especially Batman and Robin (give Damian a shot) and Animal Man. Red Hood and Batwoman have been a little weak lately, but I expect some improvements in Batwoman with a recent creative change.

Good luck.

#20 Posted by zexion_armando (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman has been real good for me so far (Barring the lack of the Night of the Owls crossover issue, but oh well), a little iffy now and then, but a good read none the less if you have the money to spare from the major heavy hitters like Batman and JLA. Plus, it benefits from being a Batfamily title without the saturation of Batman, making Batwoman really feel like a separate entity.

I have tried the Red Hood, and its okay, but I am still iffy on getting further issues right now till there is a week with minimal releases. Its a backburner one for me.