Looking to branch out, could use some advice

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys,

Just discovered the site and have only recently started reading comics a few months ago. Looking for some advice on where to go next based on what I already like. I am not much of a super hero guy to be honest. Here is what I have experience with so far:

The Walking Dead (love it, bought all the HC editions through #12)

Saga (love it, have the first HC and now am starting to collect single issues. I really got into the art and characters on this one)

Lazarus (love the series so far, also collecting single issues)

Y The Last Man (Have all the hard covers...about halfway through and think it is a great read)

Watchmen (like the movie better, for some reason getting through the story on paper was a chore. I know everyone says this is the greatest thing since sliced bread but I just couldn't get into it)

Ex Machina ( Took me a bit to get going on this one but am about halfway through it and really enjoy it so far)

Outcast (caught up on single issues and digging it thus far. Not sure where its going but hopefully will get more gory soon)

Chew (Bought HC #1 but haven't started reading it yet, will soon once it arrives)

Sandman (Have the first Absolute edition and will get into that at sometime soon. The book looks daunting, may not crack it for a little while)

Locke and Key (Pre-ordered the new HC edition coming out next month. I was a huge Stephen King fan when I was younger so I am guessing I will like this)

To be honest, I wasn't ever going to collect single issues but for some reason go the bug to do it with Outcast, Lazarus and Saga. Its kind of exciting to get a new part of an ongoing story every month or so.

Any advice you can provide would be great, perhaps into two categories

#1 Old stuff I should be looking at getting digitally or in HC /TPB form since single issues will be hard to find or way too expensive

#2 newer stuff I can add to my pull list where I could find single issues from #1 still at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_red_viper  Moderator

So no mainstream DC/Marvel for you then? =(

Well you should try V for Vendetta, Preacher and Hellblazer. I think you'll enjoy them.

As for The Sandman-the first TPB is my favorite comic arc so far. The second is also amazing, and I havn't gotten to the 3rd just yet. You're gonna love it.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@ingonuts: My Favourite Comics, I just left a link. Can ignore the superhero stories recommended and just pick and choose what sounds interesting. let me know if you found this list helpful.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By judasnixon

@ingonuts:

The Wicked + The Divine

Rat Queens

Wytches

The Wake

Bitch Planet

Shutter

Birthright

Velvet

Low

East of West

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Descender and most Valiant books.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Invincible

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you should try V for Vendetta, Preacher and Hellblazer. I think you'll enjoy them.

As for The Sandman-the first TPB is my favorite comic arc so far. The second is also amazing, and I havn't gotten to the 3rd just yet. You're gonna love it.

He is a rare breed.

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know my local comic shop owner suggested I check out Preacher as well and Hellblazer. I may have to add the Hardcovers of those to my list. I do have V for Vendetta in digital format and remember that I did love the movie. Thank you for the suggestion.

As for Marvel, I was thinking of checking out the new Star Wars series.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_red_viper  Moderator

@ingonuts: You're welcome. You'll have to excuse me though, if I'm already here I might as well drop some suggestions for superhero comics you might like.

DC: Kingdom Come, Justice, Identity Crisis, Batman: The Killing Joke.

Marvel: I'll admit I'm less into Marvel than DC, but if there's one Marvel arc that I found really outstanding it was The Infinity Gauntlet.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ingonuts: I highly recommend Southern Bastards & Velvet. East of West, Deadly Class, Black Science, & Birthright are pretty good too. The recently released first issues of Descender and Invisible Republic were great as well. Also, be sure to check out Injection when its first issue comes out in May.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

No superhero stuff? Well, here's a few quick current suggestions:

Spread (horror, definitely influenced by The Thing)

Deep State (sci-fi-mystery, influenced by The X-Files)

Rumble (fantasy-comedy, legendary warrior's soul is stuck in a scarecrow as he tries to reclaim his body)

Secret Identities (new title about superheros, but it's 150% character-driven)

Big Man Plans (dark, twisted, funny, and violent)

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Looks like you are a fan of BKV so I recommend Pride of Bagdad a mini he wrote.

I'm also going to recommend East of West and Deadly Class for new stuff, maybe Revival as well.

If you crack open Sandman and end up liking it then I also recommend Black Orchid, Lucifer and Kabuki.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd crack open some Image stuff. They have some awesome runs and short minis that could grab your attention.

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ingonuts

@devitciiu said:

Looks like you are a fan of BKV so I recommend Pride of Bagdad a mini he wrote.

I'm also going to recommend East of West and Deadly Class for new stuff, maybe Revival as well.

If you crack open Sandman and end up liking it then I also recommend Black Orchid, Lucifer and Kabuki.

YES BKV I have really enjoyed reading. For some reason SAGA just grabbed me so hard, I really love this story and cannot wait to get caught up on 19-26 when they arrive from my ebay purchase. As for Pride of Baghdad, thank you, added to my instocktrades wish list.

I hear East of West is hard to follow and very weird but I will check out issue #1 digitally to see if I like it before investing in the book itself. Seems like you can pick up the entire run on various online channels for fairly cheap still. Will also check out Deadly Class, that one looks interesting. Thank you

dapuzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lesbian Zombies from outerspace is a bit crude but I loved it. lol

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ingonuts

@ms-lola: Seems like Image has the type of thing I like to read, not much if any super hero stuff and a lot of twisted dystopia type stories.

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultragreenboy: Rare breed? Is it weird that I am not that into the super hero movies or comics?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@ingonuts said:

@ultragreenboy: Rare breed? Is it weird that I am not that into the super hero movies or comics?

Most people start with the more popular DC or Marvel comics and rarely ever go out of their bubble and try lesser-known company's titles, simply because it's something they aren't familiar with. I can kind of understand where they're coming from, but it's still rare to find anyone that really just headlong into the whole comic book scene. I salute you, sir.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ingonuts said:

@ms-lola: Seems like Image has the type of thing I like to read, not much if any super hero stuff and a lot of twisted dystopia type stories.

Yes, very! Branching out into creator owned comic houses usually has that effect. :) There are some great graphic novels as well out there, I'd suggest you check out this list, and this list, made by @billy_batson

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Love these suggestions as they have not been made by anyone I have asked in person or online. Always looking to branch out and try new stuff. Thank you

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ingonuts

OMG I am loving Southern Bastards... what a great comic! Thank you @captainhoopla for the great suggestion.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ingonuts: No problem. Glad you're enjoying it. That and Lazarus are my two favorite books right now.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

• Transmetropolitan
  • Blueberry
  • Maus
  • Corto Maltese
  • Asterix
  • Lucky Luke

You are no the Super-hero type. But I wonder that applies to all Super-hero comics or DC/Marvel only?Because The Authority and Valiant's current titles are great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Older Comics:

Hellboy by Mike Mignola

Baltimore by Mike Mignola

Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware

Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis

The Authority by Warren Ellis/Mark Millar

The Crow by James O'barr

Current Comics:

East of West by Jonathan Hickman(my favorite current book)

Chew by John Layman

Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Ingonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Transmetropolitan
  • Blueberry
  • Maus
  • Corto Maltese
  • Asterix
  • Lucky Luke

You are no the Super-hero type. But I wonder that applies to all Super-hero comics or DC/Marvel only?Because The Authority and Valiant's current titles are great.

I own Maus and read it in one sitting and a few glasses of Scotch... what a great story that was. Transmetropolitan is on my list as well, probably pick up the hardcover if there ever is one.

Hmm... I may check out the stuff from Auhtority and Valiant, I am just really not that into the super hero thing but give me sci-fi, or other weird horror/dystopia type stuff and I am hooked.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witchblade

Spawn

Some of my personal favorite Comics I love that you might not:

Street fighter

Darkstalkers

Fathom

Cavewoman

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ingonuts said:

I own Maus and read it in one sitting and a few glasses of Scotch... what a great story that was. Transmetropolitan is on my list as well, probably pick up the hardcover if there ever is one.

Hmm... I may check out the stuff from Auhtority and Valiant, I am just really not that into the super hero thing but give me sci-fi, or other weird horror/dystopia type stuff and I am hooked.

Τhen you will certainly like Valiant. They have a strong sci-fi line. From historical fantasy to time travel. I think you will love them.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cthulhu Tales by Boom Studios!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers