#1 Posted by DeathandGrim (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

As it turns out I'm in a more transitional period in my life where I don't know where what road leads to what anymore. I REALLY really want to be an artist and draw my own comics for my stories (and I've got a ton) but the thing is it's pretty damn hard to do this when I myself am not to familiar with too many comics since I own very little. And the nearest actual comic shop is about 30 mins away at least (I live in Virginia Beach) I want to know comics that are the must reads. I like both DC and Marvel, but I like DC more because I feel they're actual superheroes of myth and legend rather than superpowered people with one real power and shitty lives.

Anyway, help a brother out?

#2 Posted by JediXMan (31220 posts) - - Show Bio

These are some of my favorites, and they are widely considered some of the best:

• The Sandman
  • V for Vendetta
  • Watchmen
  • The Killing Joke
  • New X-Men (specifically by Grant Morrison)
  • Doom Patrol (specifically by Grant Morrison)
#3 Posted by longbowhunter (7474 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything by Brian K Vaughn, Y the Last Man, Ex Machina. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, James Robinson's Starman, Garth Ennis' Punisher Max.

#4 Posted by Red_Lion1989 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't limit yourself to DC and Marvel, though there are lot of fantastic stories from those two.

From DC I would recommend Batman Black Mirror, The Killing Joke, Kingdom Come, Justice, Joker, The Court of Owls and Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern to name a few.

For Marvel there's the likes of Civil War, Siege, Kravens Last Hunt, Grim Hunt, Mark Waids run on Daredevil, Rick Remenders run on The Uncanny X-force and Old Man Logan.

Again theres loads of fantastic books from the smaller publishers as well, Invincible, Saga, Y The Last Man, The Wake etc etc.

#5 Edited by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman
Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year One
Kingdom Come
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore)
Marvels
Punisher Max
Walking Dead
Superman Red Son
Fables
Chew

#6 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

As it turns out I'm in a more transitional period in my life where I don't know where what road leads to what anymore. I REALLY really want to be an artist and draw my own comics for my stories (and I've got a ton) but the thing is it's pretty damn hard to do this when I myself am not to familiar with too many comics since I own very little. And the nearest actual comic shop is about 30 mins away at least (I live in Virginia Beach) I want to know comics that are the must reads. I like both DC and Marvel, but I like DC more because I feel they're actual superheroes of myth and legend rather than superpowered people with one real power and shitty lives.

Anyway, help a brother out?

Pick up the following trades, all highly-recommended by yours truly and all new-reader friendly. These are all trade paperbacks (collected volumes of individual comics), and are cheaper and can be found at your local chain bookstore (or Amazon).

Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank

The Ultimates/Ultimates 2 by Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch

Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1 The Tomorrow People by Mark Millar & Adam Kubert

Captain America: Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker & Steve Epting

Captain America: Man out of Time by Mark Waid & Jorge Molina

Iron Man Extremis by Warren Ellis & Adi Granov

Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1 The Five Nightmares by Matt Fraction & Salvador Larocca

Moon Knight: The Bottom by Charlie Huston & David Finch

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison & Dave McKean

Punisher MAX Vol. 1: In the Beginning by Garth Ennis & Lewis Larosa

The Boys: Name of the Game by Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson

Hellboy by Mike Mignola

Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore & Steve Bisette

Black Panther: The Client by Christopher Priest & Mark Texeira

JLA by Grant Morrison & Howard Porter

Aquaman Vol. 1: The Trench by Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis

New Avengers Vol. 1: Everything Dies by Jonathan Hickman & Steve Epting

Fantastic Four: Books of Doom by Ed Brubaker & Pablo Raimondi

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross

#7 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna recommend some stuff that isn't usually on a must read list but I feel that they are great, different, and must reads in their own right:

• X-O Manowar: Deluxe Edition (collects first 3 volumes) by Robert Venditti
  • Harbinger: Deluxe Edition (collects first 3 volumes) by Joshua Dysart
  • Read Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern if you can; I'm slowly going through it right now. I've read Rebirth and No Fear.
  • Thor God of Thunder: The God Butcher by Jason Aaron
  • Thor God of Thunder: The God Bomb by Jason Aaron
#8 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both DC and Marvel, but I like DC more because I feel they're actual superheroes of myth and legend rather than superpowered people with one real power and shitty lives.

Spot on, sir.

@jedixman said:

These are some of my favorites, and they are widely considered some of the best:

• The Sandman
  • V for Vendetta
  • Watchmen
  • The Killing Joke

#9 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're an artist, you should really be focusing on artists that you like, inspire you, or offer something new to your own craft. Choosin the big 2 is a sure fire way to limit yourself right from the start. Many of the industry's best artists work mostly on indie comics.

Check out some of the following artists:

Adi Granov

Sara Pichelli

Cary Nord

Fiona Staples

David Aja

Frank Miller

Jim Lee

This is a pretty diverse group of ultra talented comic book artists. They all have different styles. I would highly recommend checking out the best if you want to get into this industry. Afterall, you wouldn't aspire to be a top filmmaker without studying the films of Kubrick, Felini, Scorsese and Fincher would you?

#10 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're looking to be an artist, the best thing you can do is to work on your art, I think. But hell, if you're looking for good reads, here's a small list:

Chew, Kingdom Come, Justice, All-Star Superman, JSA: The Golden Age, Earth X (JUST Earth, don't bother with Universe X or Paradise X), Queen and Country, Gotham Central, From Hell, Watchmen (of course), various Sandman volumes (not all of them are created equal, try asking at your local comic book store), a Punisher story called The Slavers (Wartime is also quite good), The Dark Knight Returns, Old Man Logan, Silver Surfer Requiem, some of J. H Williams' Batwoman (such as Elegy; the art is breathtaking), the first three or four issues of the original Hellblazer title (no further than that), Thunderbolts (except the current run, it's crap), The Killing Joke. If you're looking for something current, maybe try All-New X-men, though I don't know if it's something a new reader would really get into. There's a Superman story called For The Man Who Has Everything which is awesome, but it can be hard to find on it's own- try looking for an anthology of Alan Moore's work for DC, it'll be in there.

Some classic X-men stories might be worth looking into, such as The Dark Phoenix Saga, if only because it/they were so important in their time.

As some other people have mentioned, paying attention to the Hellboy title would be a great idea- as a reader and an artist, the stories are fascinating. Mike Mignola not only writes but illustrates many of them, and as such I personally find that the series has, at times, an amazing sense of unity to it. Plus, it's quite an entertaining read.

But really, it's hard to recommend comics to someone if you don't know what kind of stories they like. Are you looking for action, adventure, science fiction, suspense, drama...?

#11 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathandgrim: I have a random tip here. Don't pick a side in the whole Marvel vs DC thing. The mainstream stuff isn't all bad but it's far from the best the medium can offer.

Valiant for instance has just come back and is really producing some excellent stuff while doing it's own universe building.

Image is really pushing some great creator driven work.

And webcomics are starting to really gain more and more traction for self published writers and artists.

#12 Edited by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio
@squares said:

the first three or four issues of the original Hellblazer title (no further than that)

-___________-

BB

#13 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to read Hellblazer, the first issue was really good.

#14 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of my favorite ongoings right now are Batman, Nightwing, The Flash, Wonder Woman, and Batgirl.
Really the way I got into comics was by buying a variety of different comics (lots of DC) and from any time period. I also used sites like Comic Vine and Wikipedia and books like DC Universe Encyclopedia.

#15 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

the first three or four issues of the original Hellblazer title (no further than that)

-___________-

BB

What? The rest were awful.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@billy_batson said:
@squares said:

-___________-

BB

What? The rest were awful.

Nah, you'd be alone with that.

BB

#17 Posted by waezi2 (8292 posts) - - Show Bio

You should look after series who weren't collected in TPB, there are surprisingly many lost jewels. Chuck Dixon wrote my favorite run on Green Arrow, about Olivier Queens son, Connor Hawke.

I could come back with a list of must reads later, but I have two I would like to mention now; Underworld Unleashed and JLA/Titans.

#18 Posted by ccraft (5492 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to live in VB, my mom still lives there..

#19 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22701 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathandgrim: In this order:

1. AllStarSuperman
  2. Superman Birthright
  3. For The Man Who Has Everything
  4. Kingdom Come
  5. Invincible
  6. Walking Dead
  7. Old Man Logan

#20 Posted by DeathandGrim (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks you guys for the recommendations, I'm enjoying them so far!