#1 Posted by Lightnin (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just recently gotten back into comics after a ten year or so absence.  Since coming back about four or five months ago, I haven't picked up any Marvels, which is strange because I was more a Marvel guy before.  Specifically, I am looking for an X-men title to sample.  There seem to be so many - which is the best?

Titles I have pulled on a regular basis have been Wonder Woman, Green Lantern Corp, The Sword, Star Wars Legacy, Transhuman, and Red Mass for Mars.

Thanks

#2 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men? No idea.

BUT

I reccomend these Marvel titles

  1. Ghost Rider
  2. Moon Knight
  3. Black Panther
  4. Thunderbolts
#3 Posted by Lightnin (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Could you expand on that a little?  Why do you recommend these titles?

#4 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Astonishing X-men!

i haven't read it in ages, but it was really good
Moderator
#5 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Lightnin said:
"

Could you expand on that a little?  Why do you recommend these titles?

"
Sure.

No problem

Ghost Rider - If you like supernatural titles, this is a definite must-read. If you don't know his origin, I have some scans somewhere...But regardless, It's an AWESOME series. Johnny Blaze is revealed to actually be an Angel, so now he's going to Heaven and looking to get revenge on this Angel who's cursed him. It's get dark but it's pretty cool.

Moon Knight - Another supernatural title (Kinda), Moon Knight is a retired boxer/marine/mercenary who became an archaeologist and began to explore this Egyptian tombs, He died at this moon god's altar and was resurrected as "Khonshu"''s avatar. Recently, He's been de-powered, Its a little odd but they show him just going crazy, he sees people without there faces after he cut this guys face off...
So yeah, It's Dark but I like it.

Black Panther - I'm not really sure why I like this, But he's just a cool char. The way he fights, how he deals with problems with his people, or his wife or even an alien invasion is just bad-a$$.

Thunderbolts - Pretty much Definition of awesome, I just got into it (and it's easy to get into). It's about this team of villains sent by the government to track down heroes who refuse to side with Iron Man/SHIELD.  The personalities of each of the team-mates conflicting is cool and the characters are reaaaally messed up.

#6 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that helps

#7 Posted by inferiorego (24529 posts) - - Show Bio

Go through my picks of the week list, or check out my reviews... I highly recommend the regular Green Lantern series if you're reading GLC... They fit together very well.

Staff
#8 Posted by Lightnin (10 posts) - - Show Bio

What about X-titles?  If you could only choose one, which would you choose?

#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Astonishing 

Moderator
#10 Posted by Fresh Prince (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

#11 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Fresh Prince said:
"Thor"
I've been reading that, it's very good. Special what he does to Iron Man...LOVED THAT!

X-Force is really violent, but I suppose that I wouldn't read it otherwise.
You may like the Green Lantern comics, Batman, Deadpool is so funny and good, Personal favourite at the moment is Action Comics, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Immortal Iron Fist, Captain Britain.

Since you've been out of comics for about 10 years, I recommend these Graphic Novels:

  • Kingdom Come - Amazing!
  • Superman: Red Son - Mark Miller tells a great story.
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - Dark and creepy, excellent.
#12 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
Lightnin said:
"What about X-titles?  If you could only choose one, which would you choose?"
If you can get a few back issues, pick up Wolverine. Old Man Logan is an incredible arc, everyone agrees on this, everyone. I didn't like it at first, but Young X-Men has gotten pretty good, the team is starting to come together nicely. X-Factor has been great, except the SI tie-in was terrible, and the art is incredibly inconsistent.
#13 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the X-Titles are very good at the moment, especially not Astonishing who always been extremely overrated. But i guess it's good if you like superheroes standing around talking and doing nothing.
X-Men Legacy is kind of continuity heavy atm, not so very beginner friendly.
Uncanny is not very good at all, but might be getting better as the new status quo settles in.
Young X-Men was really bad at first, but it might be getting better
X-Force is basically X-Men Kill Crew, the art is really dark and muddy, hard to follow at times.
Exiles is at an all-time low, really awful.
X-Factor is consistently the best X-title, but stars B and C-list characters, and the art has been horrible for a couple of issues, but there's a new artist coming on.
Wolverine, the current arc is getting a lot of praise, but the dystopian alternate reality future thing has been done better before.
Cable is hopping around in time with a baby, not sure what to say.
Deadpool has a new solo, but less funny than usual.
and Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
The last two are technically not X-books anymore, but i included them as a bonus.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
Got something against British heroes? I don't think we have enough to be honest.

How many Americans are mutants? There around 350 million and there are above 1 Billion Chinese and Indian people, how many mutants of them are they?
#15 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
Supreme Marvel said:
"fesak said:
Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
Got something against British heroes? I don't think we have enough to be honest.

How many Americans are mutants? There around 350 million and there are above 1 Billion Chinese and Indian people, how many mutants of them are they?"
It's in the American water, we grow mutants better'n we grow corn.
#16 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Supreme Marvel said:
"fesak said:
Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
Got something against British heroes? I don't think we have enough to be honest.

How many Americans are mutants? There around 350 million and there are above 1 Billion Chinese and Indian people, how many mutants of them are they?"

No, i like Captain Britain it's one of my top five books atm, but as i've become aware it's a niche book.

Not sure what the second question is about, is it How many mutants are british?

Let's see:
Alchemy,
Astrid Bloom, Jamie Braddock, Chamber, Lila Cheney, Alison Double, Fantomex, Ghost Girl, Henrietta Hunter, Kulyn, Mad Jim Jaspers, Micromax, Mountjoy, Oxford Blue, Pixie, Proteus, Psylocke, Frederick Slade, Hamilton Slade, Spoor, Jack Starsmore, Toad, Wild Child, Pete Wisdom, Wolfsbane.
I've probaly messed a few.
Moderator Online
#17 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Faiza a mutant?

#18 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"Is Faiza a mutant?"

I don't think that was revealed yet. She might be a mutant, but she might also be mystically empowered.
Moderator Online
#19 Posted by Lightnin (10 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"None of the X-Titles are very good at the moment, especially not Astonishing who always been extremely overrated. But i guess it's good if you like superheroes standing around talking and doing nothing.
X-Men Legacy is kind of continuity heavy atm, not so very beginner friendly.
Uncanny is not very good at all, but might be getting better as the new status quo settles in.
Young X-Men was really bad at first, but it might be getting better
X-Force is basically X-Men Kill Crew, the art is really dark and muddy, hard to follow at times.
Exiles is at an all-time low, really awful.
X-Factor is consistently the best X-title, but stars B and C-list characters, and the art has been horrible for a couple of issues, but there's a new artist coming on.
Wolverine, the current arc is getting a lot of praise, but the dystopian alternate reality future thing has been done better before.
Cable is hopping around in time with a baby, not sure what to say.
Deadpool has a new solo, but less funny than usual.
and Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
The last two are technically not X-books anymore, but i included them as a bonus."
Whoa!  Maybe I don't need to look for an X-title after all.  It's just that Uncanny X-men was my favorite as a kid. 

Is it best then just to stay out of the Marvel Universe?
#20 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
Lightnin said:
"fesak said:
"None of the X-Titles are very good at the moment, especially not Astonishing who always been extremely overrated. But i guess it's good if you like superheroes standing around talking and doing nothing.
X-Men Legacy is kind of continuity heavy atm, not so very beginner friendly.
Uncanny is not very good at all, but might be getting better as the new status quo settles in.
Young X-Men was really bad at first, but it might be getting better
X-Force is basically X-Men Kill Crew, the art is really dark and muddy, hard to follow at times.
Exiles is at an all-time low, really awful.
X-Factor is consistently the best X-title, but stars B and C-list characters, and the art has been horrible for a couple of issues, but there's a new artist coming on.
Wolverine, the current arc is getting a lot of praise, but the dystopian alternate reality future thing has been done better before.
Cable is hopping around in time with a baby, not sure what to say.
Deadpool has a new solo, but less funny than usual.
and Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
The last two are technically not X-books anymore, but i included them as a bonus."
Whoa!  Maybe I don't need to look for an X-title after all.  It's just that Uncanny X-men was my favorite as a kid. 

Is it best then just to stay out of the Marvel Universe?"
^_^

Points to my reccomendations
#21 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio
Lightnin said:
Is it best then just to stay out of the Marvel Universe?"
NO NEVER!

X-Men Legacy is actually very good so far, give it a go...
#22 Posted by inferiorego (24529 posts) - - Show Bio
Lightnin said:
"fesak said:
"None of the X-Titles are very good at the moment, especially not Astonishing who always been extremely overrated. But i guess it's good if you like superheroes standing around talking and doing nothing.
X-Men Legacy is kind of continuity heavy atm, not so very beginner friendly.
Uncanny is not very good at all, but might be getting better as the new status quo settles in.
Young X-Men was really bad at first, but it might be getting better
X-Force is basically X-Men Kill Crew, the art is really dark and muddy, hard to follow at times.
Exiles is at an all-time low, really awful.
X-Factor is consistently the best X-title, but stars B and C-list characters, and the art has been horrible for a couple of issues, but there's a new artist coming on.
Wolverine, the current arc is getting a lot of praise, but the dystopian alternate reality future thing has been done better before.
Cable is hopping around in time with a baby, not sure what to say.
Deadpool has a new solo, but less funny than usual.
and Captain Britain & MI13 is quite ok if you like british heroes.
The last two are technically not X-books anymore, but i included them as a bonus."
Whoa!  Maybe I don't need to look for an X-title after all.  It's just that Uncanny X-men was my favorite as a kid. 

Is it best then just to stay out of the Marvel Universe?"
Depends on you. I used to be a Marvel guy, now I read mostly DC. It all depends on which characters appeal to you the most.
Staff
#23 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

about black panther-the main writer has been mediocre and the issues that were really good were done by Jason Aaron, however he'll leave after secret invasion and the old writer will return, even relaunching the titlewith a new black panther

so no, don't read Black Panther for god's sake lol