#1 Posted by deaditegonzo (3632 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I was reading Superman/Batman Annual #1. And I get to Wayne acting like a massive d*** on a cruise ship to Clark and Lois. Then in basically the next scene, we see Lois ditching Clark to have dinner with Bruce, while Bruce badmouths Clark.

We all know Lois isnt the most modest of women, and we get the sense that there is a real possibility of Lois giving it up to Bruce Wayne, purely on his money and pomp. And I wonder to myself, why did I ever like the Lois and Clark pairing? I always knew she was shallow, and extremely undeserving of the affections of someone as honest and pure as Clark, but from some reason I thought the pairing was so saccharine. She always snubbed him time and again for his very own self (Superman), but this just goes to drive her overall b****iness home further, and just overall makes her seem worse as a character.

I have to wonder why anyone wants them back together. I first became a big Superman fan right around the time they were married, and whilst married, their relationship was sweet and endearing, however, the issues involving their courting are always insulting, and this just reminds me how much. If DC doesnt have the guts to shake up the status quo (and establish a new one), and so break up Supes and Wonder Woman, fine, but dont put him back with Lois. She is a character truly of a bygone era, where that irony saturated love triangle, and a relationship featuring a domineering female, were unique and hilarious.

As an aside, Clark and Bruce's force close proximity in this story is funny and almost worth the price of admission.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't she be more interested in going after Bruce for a scoop? I mean whenever I read a story with Lois she's usually not really into playboys, but then again I haven't read any of the New 52 stuff with her in it.

#3 Posted by deaditegonzo (3632 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't she be more interested in going after Bruce for a scoop? I mean whenever I read a story with Lois she's usually not really into playboys, but then again I haven't read any of the New 52 stuff with her in it.

Well this is quite old. 2004 I think? And sure she would probably put a good interview over any type of romantic involvement, but as part of her persona, of doing what she wants regardless of perceptions, I could also see her getting "horizontal" with him, especially for a story. And Supes deserves better.

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: I don't think she'd have sex with someone for a story. She'll do some dangerous stuff for a scoop, but I don't think she'd demean herself.

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

Then I recommend you read the issues where they actually developed their relationship before their marriage since you clearly have a poor grasp on the character. Lois was never depicted as shallow Post-Crisis, hell, she ditched Lex friggin' Luthor, how's that for shallow? Not to mention she's engaged in several selfless and even heroic deeds from time to time.

Also, that Annual is a remake of a Silver Age story that had pretty much the same plot (sans Deathstroke, Ultraman, Owlman, Superwoman and DEAAAAAA--), a bitchy Lois is a given.

#6 Posted by deaditegonzo (3632 posts) - - Show Bio

Then I recommend you read the issues where they actually developed their relationship before their marriage since you clearly have a poor grasp on the character. Lois was never depicted as shallow Post-Crisis, hell, she ditched Lex friggin' Luthor, how's that for shallow? Not to mention she's engaged in several selfless and even heroic deeds from time to time.

Also, that Annual is a remake of a Silver Age story that had pretty much the same plot (sans Deathstroke, Ultraman, Owlman, Superwoman and DEAAAAAA--), a bitchy Lois is a given.

Yeah, she was depicted as shallow. No interest in Clark, because he was small time; extremely hot for Superman because, yeah, he's Superman. She didnt marry Clark until she found out who he was. But thats a little less offensive than her happily ditching Clark for total tools.

I think Byrne wrote one of the worst Supermen, so I dont have much interest in picking up pre-DoS stuff again, though I have read a lot of it. Anyway, thats not really the point, as current Lois has a lot more in common with the Lois in the Superman/Batman annual than Lois from '86 - '94.

#7 Posted by Immortal777 (6920 posts) - - Show Bio

I never cared for the relationship or Superman being in a relationship at all. I'm fine with Superman being with WW or Lois but I like the idea of WW because it's something different. The problem I do have with Superman relationship with Lois is after she dies it's one of the reasons Superman stops being Superman and just retires Kingdom Come, DC 1 million and Superman beyond.

#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo said:

@smashbrawler said:

1. Yeah, she was depicted as shallow. No interest in Clark, because he was small time
  2. Extremely hot for Superman because, yeah, he's Superman.
  3. She didnt marry Clark until she found out who he was. But thats a little less offensive than her happily ditching Clark for total tools.
  4. I think Byrne wrote one of the worst Supermen, so I dont have much interest in picking up pre-DoS stuff again, though I have read a lot of it.
  5. Anyway, thats not really the point, as current Lois has a lot more in common with the Lois in the Superman/Batman annual than Lois from '86 - '94.
  1. Nope, she had interest in Clark, she was just pissed off with him because he got the first interview with Superman before she did (and it was kind of a dick move from him since he had allowed her to interview him... as Superman, of course).
  2. Well duh.
  3. Wrong again, Lois became Clark's fiancee before she found out he and Superman were one and the same. No idea why people keep getting this wrong. Hell, they even had problems in their relationship later on because she wanted to be Clark Kent's fiancee, not Superman's (long story).
  4. OK then, your loss.
  5. Oh gee, Post-52 version is worse than Pre-52 version? Never heard of such a thing before, do tell!
#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, never cared about Lois.

#10 Edited by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing wrong with trying something different for some time

Problem is, the superman/wonder woman relationship feels so forced they might as well be robots

#11 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Lois either she seems extremely shallow to me.

#12 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

Eh, never cared about Lois.

Huh, I'm surprised.

#13 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois isn't shallow. Sure, she was infatuated with Superman. However, I'd bet there are millions of women in the DCU that are, he's friggen Superman. In the golden and silver age, Lois was an unrepentant bitch to Clark, but post-crisis Lois just had a professional rivalry with him (and held a grudge for a while because he got Superman's first interview) But, she eventually grew to respect him even dating and becoming engaged to him before she even knew he was Superman.

I don't think Lois would ever sleep with someone for a story. She went on a few dates with Lex, eventually breaking it off when she realized how much of a self-serving ass he is. If she only wanted a good scoop, she would have just strung him along and came calling whenever she needed a story.

Lois isn't a sweet girl, she's not Lana Lang. She's a tough, brash, independant woman. She'll tell someone off if they mess with her, she'll stand up to bullies, and she isn't afraid of getting in a little trouble if she needs to. That's not to say she isn't a good person. She actually does believe in truth and justice and she would (sometime foolhardily) risk her own life in its persuit.

That's why she is great with Clark. She isn't afraid to tell it like it is. If Superman makes a mistake, she will call him out on it. If he is getting down on himself, she can pull him back up. Superman needs someone like Lois at his darkest point.

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire Lois and Clark/Superman is tired, played-out and spent. I'm glad it's over and hope it stays that way.