• 56 results
#1 Edited by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Gang,

Today were pushing a lot of code that has a lot of changes, one of those big changes is how were changing Lists. I know lists have been mostly unstable since launch, mainly because we did not account for the incredibly large lists that sites like Comicvine and Giantbomb support. So in order to accomodate these larger lists we've had to restructure how lists work. Here's an overview of the changes.

Unordered vs Ordered

The big change with lists is that we've introduced two kinds of lists: Ordered and Unordered. Ordered lists are the same old lists your used too, except now they have one caveat: They can have a maximum of 100 items. I know some people might find that number to be a bummer, but its a number we settled on being able to support from a backend point of view and a front end point of view.

On the flip side of that though, Unordered lists can be any possible size! You can have as many things associated to them as you want, and the pages will actually load now.

What about my old lists?

Don't worry if you are worried about your old lists being too long now that there's a limit on Ordered lists. This change will not break any old lists. Those lists will still be viewable (even large ordered lists will now be properly paginated so you can view them), it's just lists going forward that will have these limitations.

We've also included tools for you to be able to convert your old unordered lists to the new ordered lists. If your list has more than 100 items you will have to do this if you want to continue to edit it. (Although beware, due to worries of database problems the other direction can only be done by mod request)

End Times

So this is the major change to lists I've been working on for a while, to make them work again. I'm really sorry that they have been so buggy for so long. I'm also sorry that for some people I know 100 items is going to seem too small for an ordered list. If the demand for larger ordered lists exists, we may be able to bump that number up a bit.

I've tried to make the new ui pretty self explanatory, but if anyone is having trouble please post here and I can try and elaborate.

Thank you for your time,

Ian

#2 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'm getting a "List ordering is invalid" error when I try to make edits...

#3 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Which list?

#4 Edited by Falconer (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like this could be a big deal for someone like The Poet who puts together those "Top 100 X Stories" lists. The Batman one really helped me get into comics last year, so hopefully these changes will help him and others to keep making cool lists.

#5 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

"My Top 10 Favorite Comic Book Females"

Haven't tried any of my others yet.

#6 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@nico4ever: Hmm I am able to edit that list fine. Are you deleting entries in the list? Normally that error just means its not in the correct 1,2,3,4,5... etc order.

#7 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

This is good...since I can't decide who the hell is my favorite character.

#8 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs: yes, I deleted entries... but they renumbered themselves accordingly. I checked that. I had 1-10 labeled properly when I attempted to save.

#9 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@nico4ever: Strange, can you tell me which ones you tried to delete so I can reproduce?

#10 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs: deleted Georgia Peaches and Scandal Savage, added Nico Minoru and Molly Hayes, moved Nico to number two, and Molly to number 7

note: attempted it again, got the same error

#11 Posted by The Poet (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

@falconer said:

Seems like this could be a big deal for someone like The Poet who puts together those "Top 100 X Stories" lists. The Batman one really helped me get into comics last year, so hopefully these changes will help him and others to keep making cool lists.

you could say that...yeah :D

also: I glad the list helped you

#12 Edited by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@nico4ever: Ok will try and reproduce. Its possible this may be related to not being able to delete items on unordered lists. Have a fix for that that may fix this that will be out ASAP.

#13 Edited by The Poet (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs: I like the new system. I'll need to play with it some more and I'll report any bugs if I see them...

Played with converting and it works pretty well. no complaints about that

A few questions going forward:

1. Mod-related question: is the mod only ability to convert lists permanent? If so, I supose we should we set up a request thread for that...
  2. I noticed we are able to convert lists from ordered to non-ordered and then we can convert it back to ordered again even if it is more than 100. is this ability for > 100 only for preexisting lists or is that for new ones as well? (I guess I should figure that out on my own...)
  3. This is perhaps not related to this, but I have been meaning to message one of you: at some point I was wondering if the "add to a list" button could be tweaked a little bit. I'm mainly wondering if the order of the lists could be altered. I can't talk about anyone but myself, but I have a lot of lists so it is hard to add to a preexisting list because it takes me forever to find them since they are added chronologically. I don't know coding or programing, but I was wondering if we could sort them alphabetically...
  4. like question 3, this isn't really necessary, but I thought I would mention it. Would it be possible to keep the links to character pages accessible when editing? That would save me having two tabs open to access pages to insure they were right or if they should be removed if they are for my wiki editing lists...

I might come up with a few things, but anyway thanks for all your hard work! Looks great!

#14 Posted by ccraft (5560 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#15 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet:

1) The option should be around for a while. Enough to justify a thread.

2) That conversion thing will work for any lists, its kind of a panic button

3) Will look into if thats possible later.

4) Might be able to make this change available later.

#16 Posted by The Poet (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs: nice! thanks for all your work (I know it is your job, but still think I should thank you...)

odd that I didn't a pm when you replied me, but anyway...

#17 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs:

And...the difference between the two kinds of lists is...?

#18 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@nico4ever: I just pushed a fix that *should* have fixed this problem.

#19 Posted by The Poet (8164 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_poet:

So, every other name is in red...?

#21 Posted by The Poet (8164 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: no, it's exactly the same thing it was before (had my curser above James). Explore the lists and you'll have all the answers to your questions...

#22 Edited by wundagoreborn (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all your work on this. I'm sorry to report that when I entered a simple 10 item list, I'm still getting "problem occurred processing submission." No joy in Listville.

#23 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3650 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

But but now I can't make my lists in alphabetical order since they're over 100 :(
BB

#25 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bit confused. I have a regularly-updated list that exceeds 300 items, you're saying I can't edit this list without changing it, but that changing it will strip it of over 2/3 of its length. So... How can I even touch that list again?

#26 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

I'm a bit confused. I have a regularly-updated list that exceeds 300 items, you're saying I can't edit this list without changing it, but that changing it will strip it of over 2/3 of its length. So... How can I even touch that list again?

You can convert them to unordered meaning you can't change items' spots on the list :/
BB

#27 Edited by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: That defeats the entire purpose of the list, as it's chronological.

#28 Edited by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@billy_batson: That defeats the entire purpose of the list, as it's chronological.

Yeah, hopefully they'll upgrade it more than just a bit ಠ_ಠ

BB

#29 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltsquigs: Consider this a demand for larger lists :)

Seeing as I was just told that the number one list I use on a weekly (if not more frequent) basis has just been bricked by this update.

#30 Edited by wundagoreborn (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all your work on this. I'm sorry to report that when I entered a simple 10 item list, I'm still getting "problem occurred processing submission." No joy in Listville.

Never mind. It was an IE problem. Lists work just fine in Chrome. Thanks!

#31 Posted by etragedy (792 posts) - - Show Bio

O.K., now you guys have me confused.

Are ordered lists editable or are unordered lists editable.

Say I have a list of 'recommended Golden Age comics' (because in fact I do).

It is ordered from oldest to newest - oldest being #1 on the list and newest (relatively speaking) at say spot #20. O.K., then later I want to add an item to the list in position #5 (making all the following 6-21).

Can this be done with an ordered list or an unordered list or both or neither?

#32 Posted by DonFelipe (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@etragedy said:

O.K., now you guys have me confused.

Are ordered lists editable or are unordered lists editable.

Say I have a list of 'recommended Golden Age comics' (because in fact I do).

It is ordered from oldest to newest - oldest being #1 on the list and newest (relatively speaking) at say spot #20. O.K., then later I want to add an item to the list in position #5 (making all the following 6-21).

Can this be done with an ordered list or an unordered list or both or neither?

All your existing lists remain ordered and all items can still be repositioned unless the list already has more than a 100 items; this is due to the new limitation that ordered lists can only have up to 100 items.

Just create a temporary new list, add 2 or 3 items, and switch between ordered and unordered list and you'll see the difference - in unordered list you can only add and remove new items but not reposition them at all. The limitation of ordered lists is a little bit weird and inconvenient though. However, this change and limitation won't affect any of your lists unless their too long. Having said this, one may run into problems when re-editing existing lists that already have +100 ordered items.

A comment to your Recommended Golden Age Comics: As expected it features lots of DC, Batman, and Superman comics, but I'm curious about Shock SuspenStories and will check it out sometime. Sounds interesting, especially #4!

#33 Edited by etragedy (792 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally not posting something on our staging server to test some stuff!

#35 Posted by LtSquigs (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Just posting to see if posting still works

#36 Edited by Testla1 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

ok... so just saying, I ended up deleting my list of over 900 items... and now apparently I have -1 lists xD

#37 Posted by Dernman (15690 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a point to having an unordered list other than exceeding 100 limit?

#38 Posted by cbishop (7426 posts) - - Show Bio

I was very disappointed to find out about this 100 item limitation. Like my blogs, my lists aren't just thrown up there - I put a lot of work into them. For some of them to suddenly be ruined by the item limitation was really disheartening.

I recall that before the site relaunch, I had read a few people saying they had problems with their lists when they got to 500 items or more. But could the limit be upped to 400? Or at least 300?

I realize that for some, any limit is going to screw them up, but if someone is really working on a list, 100 items is too easily attainable.

#39 Posted by zeeshanaayan07 (12 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by SnowyMountain (117 posts) - - Show Bio

I just discovered that among the latest upgrades is that some of lists are now unordered due to their size. I severely dislike this as it greatly disorganizes the whole thing. I spent considerable time and effort to order it; not to mention that I think it greatly complicates things.

For example; if I accidentally add in a duplicate entry; will the list editor catch it and prevent it? I could at least check my ALPHABETIZED list, but with it totally disorganized and willy-nilly, I might miss the duplicate entry entirely.

I am not a fan of this new change. I vote enthusiastically to increase the size permitted for ordered lists. I beg everyone else to do so as well!

#41 Posted by zeeshanaayan07 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Which types of changing you want

#42 Posted by fACEmelter88 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I can't edit my lists...not cool. been waiting for a moderator to help.

#45 Posted by Super_Phil (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do I have an error message saying "error occurred while processing submission" every time I try to save a list?

#46 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8674 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_phil: I had that happen to me once, but after a few days it was fine. You might want to submit a bug report, though.

#48 Posted by Knightsofdarkness (27 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason whenever i search for a movie in my list it doesn't show up ( most of the time)

#49 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8674 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Knightsofdarkness (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes