Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dcmarveljoseph
No Caption Provided

This, my fellow comic book lovers, is Jesse Esienberg as Lex Luthor in Dawn of Justice. Despite rumors it looks like he is bald. This pic is really intimidating and his eyes could pierce you like knives. Superman, Batman,Wonder Woman, Aquaman ,and now Lex....who is next ? Ray Fisher as Cyborg mabey ?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Been done

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Really!? I looked everywhere! One more wont hurt anyone so no harm done

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks awful, just as I thought.

You will drive this movie into the dirt single-handedly.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: Really man whats wrong with the pic? I'm not trying to be mean or start an arguement it's a legitimate question.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: He looks nothing like Lex Luthor. It's black and white, which doesn't help. He's dressed like a convict, which is hilarious because Jesse Eisenberg really looks like a middle-schooler.

Don't even get me started on his mannuerisms and acting.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: It looks like New 52 Lex Luthor in my opinion.Black and white? Weak dude, they are making black and white so when the teaser/trailer/movie comes out in color it could be a double reveal.Luthor wore his Orange jumpsuit more than once. And I don't know what middle schoolers you know because Eseinberg looks pretty young manish to me. Acting wise mabey you are right, but you didn't see the movie, so he might do a different approach for a complicated character like Lex

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Mongul

@dcmarveljoseph:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100708224813/supermanrebirth/images/2/29/Lex_Luthor-8.jpg

Invest in a pair of glasses.

You asked me what was wrong with the photo. The black and white looks tryhard and bad.

Luthor looks alright as a convict. Too bad Eisenberg looks nothing like Luthor.

He's baby faced, and it's not intimidating at all. If you think he looks intimidating, you need to grow a pair.

Acting wise I am right. I don't need to wait for the movie. He has played the same damn character the same damn way in every damn movie, and this will be no different.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest, this is my least favorite of the character / casting relations.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul:

You must have hated Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor then lol

As for his acting, I sort of agree. He's been typecasted as wimpy and neurotic, but hey, Bryan Cranston was typecasted as a goof in any large role for a while before Breaking Bad. I trust Jesse as an actor. This role is different from the one's he usually takes so it's safe to assume he will play it differently.

Check out The Double and Now You See Me for some of his more confident roles. Though, he still needs to slow his speech and lower his voice IMO

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: You would be right, lol. Although I did consider him at least decent.

I've seen Now You See Me, and I as not impressed. If that's his take on confident and intimidating, it really didn't grab me. To be honest, I thought it was a little bit cringe worthy, as though he was trying too hard and wasn't pulling it off.

I get a lot of people will disagree with me, and I'm fine with that. They may prefer this version. But to me (as I'm sure is clear) I absolutely cannot stand the casting, and think he'll ruin the movie for me. Contrary to what it may seem, I'll be going into BvS with my best Open-Mind attitude. Here's hoping.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dcmarveljoseph

@_mongul: Dude I never said I sh@$t my pants looking at him, but he looks dangerous.That chiseled face looks nothing like a baby. I already explained the black and white so.... I couldn't click the image so I'll just skip on that investment. I didn't mean to sound rude in my first response,but hate for this movie is always bland, one sided, and often has nothing to do with the movie itself. As for his previous work: Micheal Keaton was in beetlejuice the. Rocked as Batman your argument is invalid :)

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: Hate for this movie? I can't wait for this movie. I'm a die hard DC fan, and it pains me to say these things about it.

He does not look dangerous. Are you like 14? Lol. If this guy came up to me and asked me for my money, I'd lay him out flat. Eisenberg trying to look tough is actually sort of comical to me.

You can say whatever you want about the Black and White. It still looks bad.

You can just copy and paste the image link. It's a link to New 52 Luthor, which shows Eisenberg looks NOTHING like him. So, you're either blind or making stuff up.

I don't understand how this is intimidating to anyone, much less Superman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Looks awesome to me. I feel like no matter what news is released about this movie, people will hate on it.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dextersinister

@_mongul:

You must have hated Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor then lol

As for his acting, I sort of agree. He's been typecasted as wimpy and neurotic, but hey, Bryan Cranston was typecasted as a goof in any large role for a while before Breaking Bad. I trust Jesse as an actor. This role is different from the one's he usually takes so it's safe to assume he will play it differently.

Check out The Double and Now You See Me for some of his more confident roles. Though, he still needs to slow his speech and lower his voice IMO

Rosenbaum was suppose to be a young Luthor for a young Superman

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dcmarveljoseph

@_mongul: when did lex's intimidation ever rely on physical prowess? He has the look where he doesn't have to ask for money, he already has billions of it. Like that smug look of having everything but wanting more. Don't know why you keep on bringing up my vision but whateves, if you seen the pic where Lex is with the Justice League he almost exactly looks like this.And you said yourself you don't understand. In the end they chose him to be Lex and I doubt they are going to disapoint so let's just wait till next year

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like it. I've seen a lot of Eisenberg movies and I'm confident that he'll do a fine job as Lex.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister:

Yeah, initially, even though he was in his 20's at the start of the series when Clark was 16. But, after 7 straight seasons on the show, he still looked really young and still did when he returned for the finale.

@_mongul said:

@buttersdaman000: You would be right, lol. Although I did consider him at least decent.

I've seen Now You See Me, and I as not impressed. If that's his take on confident and intimidating, it really didn't grab me. To be honest, I thought it was a little bit cringe worthy, as though he was trying too hard and wasn't pulling it off.

I get a lot of people will disagree with me, and I'm fine with that. They may prefer this version. But to me (as I'm sure is clear) I absolutely cannot stand the casting, and think he'll ruin the movie for me. Contrary to what it may seem, I'll be going into BvS with my best Open-Mind attitude. Here's hoping.

He wasn't trying to be intimidating in NYSM but he sure was more confident than most of his roles. Honestly, I think he can pull it off. His Lex won't have a booming voice, obviously, but soft, deliberate speakers can be just as intimidating. And that's how I imagine Jesse will play the role. But, I guess we'll just have to wait to see.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks great

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GodxDarkxOpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Lex was fat..?Isn't that his origin look..??Lol..

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been done, and honestly, he looks not the slightest bit intimidating nor expressionism I'd expect from Lex. He'll make a bad Lex.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Lex was fat..?Isn't that his origin look..??Lol..

Are you thinking of kingpin? lol

No Caption Provided

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been done, and honestly, he looks not the slightest bit intimidating nor expressionism I'd expect from Lex. He'll make a bad Lex.

i thought i was the only one who felt like this. Maybe he will come off better in the trailer but so far it looks like dc is going down hill with some of the casting and marketing. Im displeased with the casting of wonder woman. Im displeased with the design of aquaman (all i wanted was blonde hair but that is too much to ask for) and now im not only displeased with the casting of lex im displeased with the way they are marketing lex with a blank faced expression. I wasnt too sure with Ben afleck as batman and im still not too sure how well he will act as batman but they marketed him in the batsuit nicely but thats the only thing DC has done right for the most part with this movie so far.

Lets just pray that the trailer will put some of our doubts away and give us hope that the castings were actually a good choice.

Star_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: Oh kingpin and Lex Luthor, the dinamic duo, the brave and the bald.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

him and gal need some weight

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: Aside from his Goldenish-Silverish Age incarnations, when he was fat, Lex has always been physically imposing and intimidating. If you've read any comic book with Lex Luthor in it, you would know he looks and acts nothing like what Eisenberg can pull off.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul:

No Caption Provided

New 52 Lex..not a wimp per say, but is youthful and still looks intimidating to say the least.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@_mongul: I'm with you on your opinions of Jesse. An other thing that really bothers me with Jesse is his voice. He has such an un-intimidating voice. Doesn't matter how "intimidating" he looks, his voice will ruin it.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We SaidHEISENBERG not EISENBERG.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: Are you blind? You can't be serious. That looks nothing like Eisenberg.

Besides, New52 Lex still has an obviously imposing frame and stature.

Eisenberg is 5 foot 7 hunchback that has the voice of a Middle Schooler and the body of an Osteogenesis Imperfecta patient.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecomedian_: I'll honestly be going into this movie with an open mind. If Eisenberg does well and I'm impressed, I will 100% admit I was a stubborn ass and didn't know what I was talking about. I want that to happen, because I want the movie to be good.

Unfortunately, I REALLY can't see Eisenberg pulling it off with his frame, voice, and stature.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@dcmarveljoseph: Are you blind? You can't be serious. That looks nothing like Eisenberg.

Besides, New52 Lex still has an obviously imposing frame and stature.

Eisenberg is 5 foot 7 hunchback that has the voice of a Middle Schooler and the body of an Osteogenesis Imperfecta patient.

His eyes look fine to me pal. Don't know why you brought up OI.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry: Because that's what Eisenberg looks like.

I called him blind because Eisenberg looks nothing like New52 Lex, and if you think he does, you need to get your eyes checked.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@citizensentry: Because that's what Eisenberg looks like.

I called him blind because Eisenberg looks nothing like New52 Lex, and if you think he does, you need to get your eyes checked.

Well 2 people agree about the same thing, while you are the one complaining.

so you need to go get your eyes checked pal.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry: why don't you Point out the similarities for me? aside from the baldness of course.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@citizensentry: why don't you Point out the similarities for me? aside from the baldness of course.

Point out the differences then I will point out the similarities.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry: You got it.

Eisenberg's face is far more narrow and longer than Luthor's.

Luthor is about 6'0 flat, while Eisenberg is a 5'7 midget.

Eisenberg has this weird lazy eyebrow thing going on with his left eye. Lex obviously doesn't.

Lex has a clear air of smug arrogance with his stature alone, Eisenberg on the other hand has been a hunch back since his first movie.

Oh, and the shoulders, obviously. Look at Lex's shoulders; they're broad. Any picture of Eisenberg shows sloped shoulders with no width.

Lex is obviously well built in this panel. Eisenberg is built like a middle schooler.

Eisenberg's gaze is... Angry, I guess? At any rate, it's not the same as Lex's. Lex is virtually smirking with his eyes, saying "I'm better than you".

Need more? I'll be happy to oblige.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul:

I couldn't be bothered typing out my own view. So i'll just copy and paste.

The first issue that has to be addressed is the image that comes to mind when a casual comic book fan hears the name Lex Luthor. On film, there is little debate that Gene Hackman provided the most memorable turn as the villainous billionaire, due partly to the success of the overall film with critics and fans alike (although we’d also point out that Hackman refused to shave his head for the part, so criticizing Eisenberg’s non-bald scalp is somewhat misinformed).

For many, Hackman’s portrayal of the villain in Richard Donner’s Superman: The Movie (1978) was a perfect encapsulation of the Luthor they had known from the earlier comic books: a billionaire genius with an evil lust for more wealth, and a hatred for the goodness and social justice Superman stood for.

The problem with that characterization is that it is about as ‘comic book’ a villain as can be imagined. It may have worked with audiences at the time, but comic book movie storytelling has come a long way since then – and it has been comic book storytelling that has led the way.

Comic book writers have given Lex Luthor a variety of motivations and relatable personality traits over the past few decades, all in an effort to make the figure not one of pure evil, but a man whose goals could be understood by actual human beings. Several writers have explored the idea, but few better (or more potentially relevant for Snyder’s upcoming sequel) than Mark Waid’s “Superman: Birthright.”

The 2004 graphic novel offered a new origin story for Superman, informed by modern sensibilities, and with significant changes meant to make Superman (and every other character in the story) a more realistic and recognizable one. It was “Birthright” which argued that Superman’s ‘S’ meant ‘hope’ in Kryptonian, that his role as Earth’s protector would come after years of journeying, and that people would be all-too-ready to fear an outsider, even a well-intentioned one.

Those who saw Snyder’s Man of Steel can attest to the fact that Snyder and screenwriter David S. Goyer followed Waid’s lead in many respects, so there’s serious reason to suspect that they would do the same in developing their idea of Lex Luthor, billionaire industrialist.

“Birthright” introduced a Luthor who was the child of an unhappy home. But Lex Luthor was nothing if not a true genius, in every sense of the word. The children around him loathed his ability to memorize a library’s entire contents, grasp theoretical physics and improve upon them, and the people of Smallville looked with suspicion at a boy devoid of the social skills that loving parents would have taught.

Lex Luthor was an outsider among his own people, embodying all of the intellectual aspirations of humanity’s brightest figures, but lacking the moral compass of a Kansas farm boy. The result was a best friend to Clark Kent that made sense: both were incapable of fitting in, both lacked a connection to society, and both were forced to find a way to give their lives meaning.

The difference was that Clark had the Kents; Lex had no one. So while Clark found meaning in family, and the sense of giving and charity they instilled, Lex chose to embrace the fear of lesser minds and drag humanity kicking and screaming into the future; he would be a modern Da Vinci – even if it was only history that would appreciate him.

Besides making Lex Luthor something of a tragic figure for both readers and Superman himself, the twist on the one-note villain made him a better fit among history’s most influential, most well-regarded, but often most unkind and uncompromising leaders. And other writers took note.

In Brian Azzarello’s limited “Lex Luthor: Man of Steel” series, he took the next step: positioning Lex as Metropolis’ real hero, not Superman. In Luthor’s eyes, he was the pinnacle of human intellect, authority, and leadership while the alien from another world that had people bowing and cheering was mankind’s greatest enemy, not its hero.To Lex, the questions were clear: how would mankind ever progress if someone was there to help them?

If Superman could be relied upon to solve their greatest problems, how could they advance to the point of solving them for themselves? Superman was a demigod trying to ‘help’ humanity because it was weak, and while people would be sad to see him fall, it was better in the long run.

Azzarello’s case was a hard one to disagree with, making the relationship between the two all the more fascinating, since both believed they were doing what was best for the world. Waid’s origin story for Lex made him a tragic figure who better reflected why Superman ended up as good a person as he did, and the mythology benefited as a result.

It was director Bryan Singer who chose not to take their lead when he made Superman Returns (2006), casting Kevin Spacey as the new villain, but keeping all elements of Hackman’s portrayal intact. Luthor was, once again, out for nothing more than money and power, and willing to kill billions of innocent people in the process. In other words, an uninteresting bad guy.

Even now, Singer admits that if he had the chance to do it all over again, he might choose to do a reboot as opposed to a spiritual sequel to an outdated story. Spacey’s performance may have been strong enough to rise above criticism, but there’s no question his simple evil makes him a better fit among Marvel’s murderous villains who valued money or power over all else – Red Skull, Malekith, Iron Monger, the Mandarin – than those Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder seem to be after.

It’s foolish to assume that DC and Warner Bros. will suddenly decide to break the trend of villains – Rha’s al Ghul, the Joker, General Zod – who aren’t simply evil and present strong philosophical outlooks. Like it or not, they’re all committed – something Man of Steel proved. Having the classic, power-hungry, spiteful, megalomaniac billionaire Lex Luthor walk into this movie universe simply wouldn’t fit.

The bottom line is that fans looking to previous film appearances of Luthor are likely seeing versions of the character that Snyder and Goyer aren’t too interested in copying. And if they’re pointing to the source material that those versions of the character drew from, Snyder and Goyer have shown they’re not doing the same.

Will Jesse Eisenberg’s ‘Lex Luthor’ be bald? He doesn’t have to be, since Hackman’s wasn’t. Will he be getting into a giant suit of armor to pummel Supes into submission? Probably not, since fans already complained that the same type of fight in Man of Steel dragged on far too long. The only certainty is that Lex will be more believable a figure this time around, meaning he’ll need to be different from previous versions.

There is no question that Eisenberg was an unexpected pick – listeners of the Screen Rant Underground heard our live reaction to the news – and given the lack of blockbuster roles, could be seen as a potentially risky one. We would add that Eisenberg’s casting suddenly makes Ben Affleck’s need to play a millionaire seem like a walk in the park.

We’ve already explained why the odds are good of seeing an insecure, isolated, but nonetheless determined and driven Luthor are good – and when faced with the hulking mass of Henry Cavill, neither substantial height nor weight would make Lex a serious threat – something a man as smart as Luthor wouldn’t need to find that out the hard way (not that he’d ever lower himself to throwing punches in the first place).

So if Eisenberg is going to be playing a somewhat unlikable, but intelligent and self-motivated millionaire, willing to go to some extreme ends to achieve his goal, then the actor has already earned accolades for doing just that.

It’s no surprise that people are immediately pointing to Eisenberg’s performance of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg in director David Fincher’s The Social Network, given that it was his highest-profile role to date (which earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor). While the honor of being nominated for an Academy Award makes him fit in even better with the rest of Snyder’s existing Superman cast – and the brand new ‘Alfred,’ Jeremy Irons– it proves he can bring what’s needed for an updated Lex.

Let’s take a look at the aspects of Eisenberg’s performance our own Kofi Outlaw chose to highlight in his review of The Social Network:

“Eisenberg… portrays Mark Zuckerberg as something of a tragically ironic figure: an acerbic genius who is totally clueless when it comes to human interaction; a guy who earns fortune and fame off a website dedicated to social circling, but has very few “real friends” to call his own.”

“Eisenberg flat-out steals just about every scene he’s in, glaring at people around him like they are nitwits, while delivering scathing insights that could make a person feel that very way. A definite standout performance that is worthy of recognition (provided people don’t find his character too unlikable).”

No explanation is needed to show why those noteworthy facets to Eisenberg’s portrayal of an unlikeable entrepreneur would serve him well for a magnate like Luthor, but the roles aren’t quite as clear-cut as some might believe. After all, an actor with as respectable a resume as Eisenberg isn’t going to simply play the same role twice.

Where Zuckerberg was an introverted, anti-social genius more at home in his sweatpants on a computer than a board room, Lex Luthor clearly has no problems with recognition. Man of Steel was filled with references to LexCorp, dotting everything from the skyline, to shipping containers; meaning Luthor is no shrinking violet in the eyes of the public.

Still, thinking back to the scathing condescension with which the character addressed those who couldn’t understand the need for social media, or skirting the line between analytical and sociopathic, the potential is there for a Lex whose intellect and confidence are his greatest weapons – tools which make larger, stronger, and less subtle men into fools, not heroes.

It’s important to point out that while many now view Jesse Eisenberg as an indie-movie artisan, it wasn’t long ago that he was referred to in the same breath as Michael Cera, pigeon-holed into playing lovable, charmingly awkward dorks. But when David Fincher – the mind behind the likes of Fight Club, Se7en, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo– selected the quirky, insecure comedic actor to play the cold, alienated star of his Social Network, the result was a performance that few had trouble accepting.

He may have moved out of the spotlight with his recent work, but starring in a broad comedy like 30 Minutes or Less or Zombieland is a feat often taken for granted by causal movie audiences. The ability to draw laughs with his mile-a-minute dialogue and nervous neuroses is clearly one of his strengths, but acting alongside the likes of Aziz Ansari, Woody Harrelson and Emma Stone without ever standing out is no coincidence.

Nor is it a knack for being ‘just good enough’ that made him seem to fit right alongside Harrelson (again), Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine in Now You See Me. Granted, the film had its shortcomings, but Eisenberg’s cocky street magician is rarely cited as one.

As Marvel’s own ‘godfather’ of comic book movies, Joss Whedon, has explained that he’s always inclined to hire comedic actors for serious parts since “comedy is the harder one.” It’s clear Marvel has agreed, casting the likes of Chris Evans, Chris Pratt and Paul Rudd to play some of their biggest heroes. Screen presence is screen presence, so it’s up to the writers and director to determine whether the actor is being funny or not.

Fans are quick to imagine an actor’s most familiar role when passing judgement on their suitability for their next, but that is as flawed an approach to casting as one can imagine. At this point, Eisenberg has worked with some of the industry’s most respected and discriminating talents both in front of and behind the lens.

We’d wager that those who claim Eisenberg is a one-trick pony, playing the same role over and over are likely to also claim that Ben Affleck’s skill in acting, writing or directing is similarly suspect – something that critics, mass audiences and award committees have all disagreed with.

Before rumors of Lex Luthor casting began, and fans everywhere named their picks based (consciously or not) on an actor’s baldness, the question arose: why does he have to be bald? The character has sported hair in the comics, in movies, and on television, proving that a bald head wasn’t a prerequisite for a faithful version, and surely in Snyder’s universe – occupied by an African-American Perry White, Jenny Olsen, and a red-haired Lois Lane – appearances matter much less than the, you know, acting.

If nothing else, one thing should make fans happy: Zack Snyder is looking to give audiences something they’ve never seen. Which would be more underwhelming? To hear that Snyder was casting a young, unconventional actor to play what is clearly a different approach to the role, or that he had picked yet another middle-aged, bald-headed actor used to playing villains?

Tradition is valuable, of course – but fans of the conventional portrayal of Lex Luthor in live-action already have Hackman and Spacey’s versions to elate them. Should fans of the actual groundbreaking comics that sought to make a modern Lex be completely overlooked for the sake of doing something that’s already been done?

Michael Rosenbaum’s time in the role on the WB’s Smallville started to move Luthor towards the somewhat sympathetic, misunderstood figure the comics have begun to adopt. But to see a Superman film that takes its heroes and villains seriously, giving each time to develop so they can represent a moral conflict, not just a physical threat, would surely benefit from a fresh take on the character of Lex Luthor.

There’s a chance Snyder and Goyer may decide to break with the trend seen in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, and offer a traditional, unsurprising treatment of Superman’s most famous foe. But if nothing else, it’s just easy to ask an audience to hate an arrogant, wealthy businessman. We’re all for interesting, provided those leading the film have a clear picture of what they’re after. And they certainly seem to.

It’s still too early to tell whether Esienberg’s casting will be a stroke of genius, and a new approach to an antagonist who’s never really made an audience question Superman’s moral compass, or if his previous roles are his most successful for a reason. But as our argument shows, anyone who believes that this Oscar-nominated actor’s casting is somehow a sign of trouble may want to re-examine the facts on which they’re basing their fears.

Be sure to leave your thoughts on our case in the comments. We’ll keep you up to date when the studio begins releasing more information.

Source: http://screenrant.com/lex-luthor-jesse-eisenberg-batman-superman-discussion/

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

Eisenberg has this weird lazy eyebrow thing going on with his left eye. Lex obviously doesn't.

Lex has a clear air of smug arrogance with his stature alone, Eisenberg on the other hand has been a hunch back since his first movie.

Oh, and the shoulders, obviously. Look at Lex's shoulders; they're broad. Any picture of Eisenberg shows sloped shoulders with no width.

Lex is obviously well built in this panel. Eisenberg is built like a middle schooler.

Eisenberg's gaze is... Angry, I guess? At any rate, it's not the same as Lex's. Lex is virtually smirking with his eyes, saying "I'm better than you".

Also before you go about saying this, that and the other.

I would advise you to look at past Superman films.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry: So you can't list any similarities?

Got it. Come back when you're prepared.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@citizensentry: So you can't list any similarities?

Got it. Come back when you're prepared.

There are no similarities and there are no differences.

One is real while the other is a fictional character. Thus your entire argument is flopping around like a fish out of water.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizensentry: I told you to come back when you are prepared. Right now you're just wasting my time with nonsense.

Understand?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

I think you're really nitpicking here....

There will never be an actor that perfectly fits a comic character to a tee. Even your perfect pick, was it Bryan Cranston (?), isn't anywhere near a perfect fit facially. And besides that, comic characters, including Luthor, change appearances slightly enough with an authors style that perfect fits shouldn't even matter.

Also, Jesse stands up pretty straight IRL. Don't judge his posture based on roles where he was supposed to be unconfident....and, watch some of his interviews because a lot of people think he's kind of a smug d!ck lol

He can put on some muscle, which I hope he does, but even if doesn't then i'm not going to nitpick at it

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: I get that I'm being a little picky with things like the eyebrows and gaze.

And I'm not expecting someone perfect. I just want someone right. Cranston is an old man, and it would have been predictable ad lame.

I'll be honest, I didn't have an actor in mind. I just wanted the smug, imposing, and yet extraordinary Luthor we have in comic books. When Eisenberg gives his inevtiable monologues in the film, it's going to upset me when they're being delivered by a 5'7 man child that has a nasally, fast talking voice.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put him in a suit and I think he looks great.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@buttersdaman000: I get that I'm being a little picky with things like the eyebrows and gaze.

And I'm not expecting someone perfect. I just want someone right. Cranston is an old man, and it would have been predictable ad lame.

I'll be honest, I didn't have an actor in mind. I just wanted the smug, imposing, and yet extraordinary Luthor we have in comic books. When Eisenberg gives his inevtiable monologues in the film, it's going to upset me when they're being delivered by a 5'7 man child that has a nasally, fast talking voice.

Well, Henry Cavil isn't 6'3-6'4 and Ben Afflecks voice doesn't sound how I imagine Batman, but hey, these are adaptations and they got their roles for a reason. The same goes for Jesse. I don't think his height matters at all here as long as he still has the core of Luthors personality. He can be 5'7 and very fit, smart, and intimidating IMO. It's all about how he plays the role. As for his voice and fast-talking, that can all change. Actors change their voices all the time - just look at Cavil. I doubt Jesse can believably lower his voice, but, like I said before, a soft, deliberate voice can be just as good as deep and powerful.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers