#1 Edited by sagejonathan (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to make a few points that I think we should discuss, and let us all talk.

1. In general, did you like the movie? Give the movie a rating out of 5.

2. What did you think of Malekith and the Dark Elves as a villain? (I'm especially interested in the opinion of those who have read Simonson's run, like me).

3. Did the movie successfully establish cosmic elements in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Does it make the audience ready for more?

4. Who will be the next villain?

5. Let;s talk about the ending and post-credit scene.

So in general I loved the movie. I am a bit biased since I am a Thor fan, his books are what got me into comics after all. The movie had its flaws of course. I thought there were too many guns being used, and the plot was a little too complex for the general audience. The final fight scene was interesting, but not how I expected Thor to do things. Of course there are lots of things I loved too. Asgard was gorgeous and I had a huge smile when they first enter. They didn't really hold back in going all sci-fi and mystical with Thor, and the humor was top-notch imo. Only the train scene I felt went a little too far. All the battles were great, but as mentioned, the final one didn't go as expected. Oh! And Loki was AMAZING in this movie. He was perfect and was a very meaningful part of the movie. I leave it at that and say the movie was a 5/5 for me. I'm not saying it's perfect or one of the greatest movies ever made, but I loved it and enjoyed it immensely.

Now to talk about Malekith. As being a reader if Simonson's run where he was created, and currently reading Aaron's run where he is currently being used, I conclude that Malekith is nothing like how he should be. Well, he's evil of course, and he isn't powerful without the Aether, but otherwise there is nothing about him really true to the books. He never has a sinister smile, he was serious throughout the entire movie, and his story has nothing to do with Surtur which is a HUGE disappointment for me. That being said, even though he isn't like the comics, he did end up being a decent villain, and although the Dark Elves didn't look like Dark Elves, they were good villains too. Being able to say that Thor is fighting Dark Elves, is a bold move considering the lack of open mindedness of the audience, so I'm glad with the villains, but also disappointed.

Yes it did establish cosmic elements in the MCU. They don't hold back on the space stuff, the movie was good, and that should leave the crowd with an acceptance of that the MCU is going to be full of all this epic space action.

I have no clue who the next villain is going to be. I was praying that it would be Surtur but I highly doubt it now, since Malekith had no connection to him in the movie, I doubt he'll be used. The only mention to him was the realm of Muspelheim when the portals were opening everywhere. I'm thinking Hela might be the next villain though. It makes a lot of sense, and it explains Loki's return from the dead. Plus, fighting the dead would be pretty epic. I just hope they keep going crazy with the nine realms and space. I really don't want Thor fighting someone like the Absorbing Man. So I'm going to say it's Hela, but continue praying it's Surtur.

That ending what mighty interesting. Does Loki kill Odin? I doubt it. He probably tricked him into leaving somewhere imo. I already stated my theory as to how Loki survived his supposed death. I'm very interested to see what's going to happen in the next movie. The post-credit scene is where I need some help understanding it. Can someone post a link to where I can find info on The Collector? I never heard of him. It made no sense to me until I read someone's theory on the Infinity Gems and everything just made so much sense. I still don't know who think character is though.

So there are my thoughts. feel free to share yours.

#2 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I'd give it a 4. It wasn't perfect but very enjoyable. I think the first Thor movie was a little bit better.

2. I didn't read anything with Malekith in it but I think he wasn't as good a villain as Loki.

3. I think it can be a little confusing for people who don't read comics to be honest.

4. In the next Thor movie? I dunno, hard to say. I think that another movie with Loki, but this time bloodlusted and thirsty for revenge, could be great. I also hope we'll get to see Bill.

5. I think it's a little unclear to people who don't know what infinity gems are but it really made my expectations of the next MCU movies rise a notch or two. As for the scene where Loki sits on the throne... it was very... Loki-ish. ;)

#3 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the movie but the new villain was very under developed and am i missing something because what happened to odin because of the ending? i thought the humor was well done the visuals were great and the story was good not great even with its flaws i tend to favor this one more a tad bit over the first one but in the end both great movies wich imo are on par with eachother . i just pray thor 3 has taylor come back and is allowed to make the movie he wants without marvel interferance. overall i give it an 8 or 8.5

#4 Posted by TheCannon (19469 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I thought it was extremely disappointing and didn't live up to the first film or ANY film in the MCU at all (it's probably the worst as of right now). The humor was bad, the dialogue was weak, the fighting was awful, there were some very under-explained things, several of the characters were pointless (exactly what was the point of the Warriors Three? Volstagg set up a joke for Loki, but that was it) and there were just way too many plot twists (it got to the point I just stopped caring). I give it two out of five stars, and one of those stars are only because of Tim Hiddleston's performance.

2. That was Malekith? Not to me. I could go into details of how he's different from the comics, but I won't because it's irrelevant. I didn't mind that he's different from the comics (even though that was disappointing), I hated that he had no real motivations. He wants to use the Aether to plunge the nine realms into darkness or destroy them or something (was it ever fully explained?). Fine. But why? They give him no motivation other than he's supposed to be evil, which is just bad writing.

3. To me, no. I have nothing beyond that to say, just no.

4. Surtur or Hela. Both would be amazing villains for a film (unless they ruin them like they did Malekith), so it doesn't matter.

5. The ending I admit was very interesting. However, there had been so many unneeded plot twists by that point, I just stopped caring. I had no clue what was going on in the Mid-Credits scene (didn't say for the post, I just wanted to get out of there) and could only understand Volstagg mentioning the Infinity Stones (they're called the Infinity GEMS. Plus, the Aether thing was an Infinity Stone/Gem? And the Tesseract? That makes no sense). I read that the guy is the Collector (never heard of him) to set up Guardians of the Galaxy, but does anyone really care?

#5 Posted by MonsterStomp (20548 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw SPOILER ALERT :P

#6 Posted by Spideysense44 (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

worst? Thor was far from worst i dont know what movie you were watching but it sure wasnt this one

#7 Posted by sagejonathan (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the movie but the new villain was very under developed and am i missing something because what happened to odin because of the ending? i thought the humor was well done the visuals were great and the story was good not great even with its flaws i tend to favor this one more a tad bit over the first one but in the end both great movies wich imo are on par with eachother . i just pray thor 3 has taylor come back and is allowed to make the movie he wants without marvel interferance. overall i give it an 8 or 8.5

The soldier that came in to inform Odin of the situation during the Thor's battle with Malekith, was Loki in disguise. We will see in the future what happened but we can assume it was his usual trickery.

1. I thought it was extremely disappointing and didn't live up to the first film or ANY film in the MCU at all (it's probably the worst as of right now). The humor was bad, the dialogue was weak, the fighting was awful, there were some very under-explained things, several of the characters were pointless (exactly what was the point of the Warriors Three? Volstagg set up a joke for Loki, but that was it) and there were just way too many plot twists (it got to the point I just stopped caring). I give it two out of five stars, and one of those stars are only because of Tim Hiddleston's performance.

I don't agree with you here. This movie was definitely better than Iron Man 2 & 3, Captain America, Thor, Amazing Spiderman, and most if not all of the X-Men movies imo. I thought the humor was funny and the dialogue was fine. The Warriors Three didn't have a major role, but in all honesty, they shouldn't have that major of a role in the comics either. They are great and all, but they would probably take away from the movie just because they are such weird characters; similarly in the comics, I think they are great to have, but for the majority of everything Thor should have the spotlight. I am disappointed Sif wasn't used more. The plot was a bit crazy, but if you kept paying attention, it shouldn't be that hard to follow. Just my opinion though.

Regarding the mid credit scenes, I was on the same boat. I was absolutely clueless as to what was going on, especially since I never heard of the Collector. Once I read that these things were actually the infinity gems it all clicked. It gets me really excited.

#8 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard it was ok.