lesser known batman stories?

DCrunstheShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've read a lot of big name batman stories but every once in awhile I come across an image online from a cool looking batman story that I've never read (and end up reading it).

Can anyone name a few lesser known batman stories I can check out?

thanks!

Oh and if anyone knows any good marvel stories to really start getting into marvel with (preferably 1990's an on unless there's a really good one from earlier on) could you name it? I like DC a lot, especially batman, & superman but I'm having trouble getting into Marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For batman, ten nights of the beast, Gothic, the cult, mad men and the monks, and the many deaths of the batman are all lesser known I would say.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

Batman; The Cult

Synopsis: Batman: The Cult details Batman's (Bruce Wayne) investigation into the killing of several small time criminals in Gotham City. One night he tracks multiple bloody footprints from a crime scene to a manhole cover. The killers are obviously using the sewer system and don't care who knows it. In the midst of stopping a crime, Batman is shot. Laying on the ground bleeding, he sees the man who just shot him, stabbed in the back by another shadowy figure. When next he wakes, he finds himself chained underground, held captive by a religious cult led by Deacon Joseph Blackfire, who in his religious fervor, is determined to clean up Gotham by eradicating the criminal element. Blackfire and his followers keep the Batman in chains and feed him only enough food to keep him alive. The food is drugged and over a span of a week or more, he is exposed to religious propaganda and repeatedly asked to join Blackfire's cause. Eventually, the world's greatest detective breaks and is converted.

"I always claimed I became the Batman to fight crime. That was a lie. I did it to overcome the fear." - Batman

Batman; VenomBatman; Venom
Batman; VenomBatman; Venom

Batman; Venom

Synopsis: "BATMAN: VENOM illustrates that although Batman is a great hero, he is simply a human being underneath his costume. When Batman fails to save the life of a young kidnapped girl because of his own physical limitations, he turns to a performance-enhancing drug to increase his strength and stamina. But when the highly addictive super-steroid strips the Dark Knight of his control and morality, he must find a way to free himself from underneath its influence. Struggling with his addiction, Batman must make choose between using the drug again or facing his own probable demise."

zedneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zedneptune

Batman: Year 100

In the year 2039, Gotham City is very nearly a police state, its citizens subject to unwarranted search and seizure. The Gotham Police clash almost daily with Federal agents, who are pursuing the legendary "Batman." Captain Gordon, the grandson of the original Commissioner Gordon, is also trying to find Batman, and find out what he knows about the murder of a Federal agent.

No Caption Provided

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I also liked Joker by brian azzarello

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Legends of the Dark Knight issues 39 and 40. "Mask" by Bryan Talbot. The plot line via Wikipedia:

Batman wakes up in a hospital bed surrounded by Doctors who tell him he is an alcoholic tramp who dresses in a batsuit made of garbage. Is it some sort of hallucination or is his life as Batman the real illusion?

There was a great Flash story earlier (Flash # 300) that had a similar story line. Both were very well done.

No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Arrow

Batman: Prey. the origin of Hugo Strange. Batman: faces.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Batman: Prey, Batman: Terror and I really recommend Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and The Mad Monk by Matt Wagner. Golden Age Batman stories remade for a modern audience.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cult, venom, year 100, the man who laughs, gotham by gaslight, nine lives, a lonely place of dying, strange apparitions, gothic, red rain, mad love, whole gotham central

DCrunstheShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sweet! never heard of some of these and most of them look awesome! thanks everyone i'm going to check these out ASAP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're in for a laugh batman: holy terror is an interesting elseworkds story. I also think it was the first else worlds story but I'm not sure

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Legends of the Dark Knight.

@jayc1324 said:

If you're in for a laugh batman: holy terror is an interesting elseworkds story. I also think it was the first else worlds story but I'm not sure

I think Batman Gotham by Gaslight is the first ever Elseworlds story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I knew it was a batman story but not which one. Gotham by gaslight is good too though. Much better than holy terror

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I haven't read Holy Terror but the name is cool.

AdamAnouer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AdamAnouer

The Adventures of Spider-Man & Batman

The 2 Heroes team up to take down the insane combination of Cletus Cassidy (Carnage) and Joker. Actioned pack and entertaining.

"I always thought of myself as the Orson Welles of crime and chaos, while you, apparently, aspire to be nothing more than... David Hasselhoff!" - The Joker

Then there's the second team up of the 2 with a much deeper plot line involving a team up with Kingpin and Ra Al Ghul after the former is blackmailed after Ghul infects his wife with a stain of cancer. Really well written story. Worth a read.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jwwprod
No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: The story is pretty crazy but it is definitely original. In this one batmannis Reverend Bruce Wayne and he cries a lot over his parents death. A lot of crying in that story. The actual plot is ok though but its really funny to see batman as part of the clergy

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jwwprod: Wow, I have to read a Mike Mignola Batman anyway.