#1 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW TITLE: Why It Sucks To Be A Legacy Character

Yeah, I said it. Legacy characters suck. We have great characters like Ryan Choi, Wally West, Cassandra Cain and what have you, and yet when DC reboots their continuity, they revert to the silver age versions to cater to lovesick old gasbags of comic fans. Yeah I said it. DC's going out of their own way to remind us that the best versions of whichever character they're selling is the one they created decades ago. Complete and utter bull. Let's see a GL book with John Stewart as the main GL, a Cassandra Cain Batgirl Book, or even a Wally West Flash book. What was even the point of bringing back Babs as Batgirl? I'm going to state again that Babs IS in fact my favorite Gotham character, but this is one change that has come across me as unwelcome. I am not in favor of change for the sake of change. I am in favor of change for the sake of progression.

The (superhero) comic industry is nearing 100 years, and by the time we're in the 2060's, heaven help us, I do not want to read the same "Hal Jordan came upon an alien spacecraft, and some dude named Abin Sur gave him an emerald ring that gave him powers, and now he's the greatest space cop who ever lived, or who ever will live" crap. DC has a habit that they'll not curb of shelving these modern takes on classic characters, and it's not helping the industry. S'all I gotta say.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio

I think each heroes persona should die with them. Bruce Wayne should be the only true Batman, Diana should be the only Wonder Woman, etc. I think Legacy characters should develop their own personas and deviate from what their mentors are. 

#3 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when Captain Marvel was part of Earth-S and they already have Earth-2 and I think 0.. It be nice if DC could do something similar, but on a bigger scale. Golden heroes get an Earth, Silver heroes get an Earth and Modern heroes get an Earth. Sounds like a bit much, I'd settle for Elseworlds.

#4 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

that's the problem with DC characters has too many different silver age characters and more people love the silver age heroes than the new modern heroes or second string characters.

#5 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I don't really know what to say here, for me when it comes to legacy characters I don't like to pick sides, I like to read both. For example, I love the flash, I dont have a preference between them Jay, Barry, Wally, and Bart are all fine by me. I think that Barry is a cool character, and I really like what DC is doing with him, now I know that someone will say that you can tell the same stories with Wally, you can't, that suggests that Barry and Wally are interchangable, which is an insult to both characters.

From a creative standpoint, Wally West was written into a wall, ironically, a slow pace. Outside of being the flash, Wally doesn't really have a life. Sure he's married, has kids, and enters battle with a sense of humor, but that's it when he first became the flash, he won the lottery so writers wouldn't have to think of a profession for him. He was as creatively developed as the human torch before he died and came back (Johnny not Wally) Wally doesn't have a job, and no supporting cast outside of his family. There have been successful attempts to build on him in the past by Johns and Waid, but they end up being derailed.

Perhaps thats the real problem, some legacy characters don't have much to build upon so they end up being ignored, the older characters have more to build on and stories get reinterpreted. I think they can do more with John Stewart, but characters like Wally and Donna are more difficult.

#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

@GundamHeavyarms: Wally's a car mechanic, and he has a large supporting cast. He certainly had more life than Barry, who, might I remind you, COMPLETELY lacked a life for something like the last 30 years. ;)

#7 Posted by BatWatch (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Wally West, Connor Hawke, Tim Drake, and Kyle Rayner better than the original characters to bear their names. I don't think legacies suck at all, but retconning legacies is definitely annoying.

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Yeah, I said it. Legacy characters suck. We have great characters like Ryan Choi, Wally West, Cassandra Cain and what have you, and yet when DC reboots their continuity, they revert to the silver age versions to cater to lovesick old gasbags of comic fans. Yeah I said it. DC's going out of their own way to remind us that the best versions of whichever character they're selling is the one they created decades ago. Complete and utter bull. Let's see a GL book with John Stewart as the main GL, a Cassandra Cain Batgirl Book, or even a Wally West Flash book. What was even the point of bringing back Babs as Batgirl? I'm going to state again that Babs IS in fact my favorite Gotham character, but this is one change that has come across me as unwelcome. I am not in favor of change for the sake of change. I am in favor of change for the sake of progression.

The (superhero) comic industry is nearing 100 years, and by the time we're in the 2060's, heaven help us, I do not want to read the same "Hal Jordan came upon an alien spacecraft, and some dude named Abin Sur gave him an emerald ring that gave him powers, and now he's the greatest space cop who ever lived, or who ever will live" crap. DC has a habit that they'll not curb of shelving these modern takes on classic characters, and it's not helping the industry. S'all I gotta say.

What do you think?

It sounds to me like you're arguing for legacy characters, not against them.

#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember seeing a special in Under the Red Hood where they said that Bruce always meant for Dick to become Batman after he is too old or something.

#10 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: I'm glad you read my paragraph. That is exactly what I am doing. I guess with so many people misconstruing the title, a change is in order: It Sucks Being A Legacy Character! But this one is short and sweet. Also, I thought that the term 'Legacy Character' also included the original character, since the latter versions are continuing the legacy left behind by the original/previous. Like Flash is a legacy character or Atom. I guess I was wrong.

#11 Posted by allhailme (288 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by The Stegman (24661 posts) - - Show Bio

I love legacy heroes, it's a good way to immortalize the original hero, I guess I feel the opposite way than @Vance Astro
 does, I think the sidekicks should always take the mantle of their mentors, pass it down from generation to generation, then the hero will live on forever, long after the original is dead.

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: Indeed..but neither DC or Marvel seem to like that idea.
#14 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

That is problem nobody wants to get out of their comfort zone both consumers and the comic industry. We want to know that characters are cemented, not forgotten and not want to do a long explanation of it. There is a price for doing this. For one thing, it diminishes the immortal characters or any characters that can live long.

#15 Posted by BatWatch (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@PsychoKnights: Sorry, but next time try to read what I typed. My title is misleading, sure, but it is made to draw people in, and read my confounding verbiage.

Yeah, I read your actual post. It wasn't clear what you were trying to say.

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Bruce Wayne should be the only true Batman

Qft

#17 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hazlenaut said:

That is problem nobody wants to get out of their comfort zone both consumers and the comic industry. We want to know that characters are cemented, not forgotten and not want to do a long explanation of it. There is a price for doing this. For one thing, it diminishes the immortal characters or any characters that can live long.

Probably missunderstanding this line, but I thought what Marvel did with Guardians of the Galaxy by having Simon Williams (albeit a different universe one) on the team. As a long lasting character, he's able to help mentor the future generation.

Personally, I like the idea of the mantle being passed on, like you I wish Marvel and DC would do more of it.....as long as it's done like Vic - Rene Question or Bruce training Dick. Not *poof* I'm here to take your place type thing. >.> looking at Kyle Ryner as the only one that comes to mind even though he was a good replacement <.<

#19 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights: Actually, the misunderstanding is my fault. I apologize.

#20 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Passing the mantle after long years is really ok to me, plus it would save us from questionable reboots where sometimes all they have is pseudo controversial changes to offer.

Everybody's happy this way: the original <insert super hero's name here> remains whoever he is and the new one can introduce new traits and features without ruining it for the people who liked the original one.

#21 Edited by BatWatch (2766 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

@PsychoKnights: Actually, the misunderstanding is my fault. I apologize.

That's all right. (laughs) I don't think I understand this entire conversation, but we're cool.

Jamie Reyes is another legacy that is better than his original.