• 58 results
#1 Edited by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I know Comicvine gets more than it's fair share of this type of thread. But I don't think that it is very often that we get a chance to discuss less favorable anime/manga characters.

Let's try to keep this somewhat civil. And for the sake of knocking it out right now, please don't mealntion DBZ characters. That'll just derail the entire thread. Make sure you provide an explanation for your choice.

That said, I will start:

I cannot, not, not, NOT stand Tyson Granger from Beyblade. Most specifically Tyson during the V-Force and G-Revolution seasons.

In the very first season, Tyson was just a kid who loved beyblading and was good at it. Sure, he was always headstrong, ready to accept and issue a challenge, and a hothead, but when he got beat, he took the loss to heart and came back better than before.

Then it all went away. In V-Force, his hotheadedness gets multiplied by three. He always gripes about how he is the champion, and almost takes it personally that he could be defeated by Ozuma. Everytime someone tells him something he doesn't want to hear, he shouts at the sky and runs off. He was at multiple times an absolite dick to Kenny, amd even freaking Dragoon refused to help him because of his attitude.

Then it goes up to eleven in G-Revolution. Now, at the beginning, Ray, Kai, and Max leave the Bladebreakers, leaving Tyson with a teammate he is unfamiliar with. But let's look at history. ITyson defeated the last opponent TEAM effort.referred to as the champions as well. However, most side characterTyson's fams. And in V-Force, Tyson wins again...but he was teamed with Max, and Max gets no credit. Tyson acts like no one else has the right to pursue their own fame. He is even more stubborn this season, and it even causes him a loss early in the tournament. And yet throughout it all, he still wins the championships, again! I feel like overall, the sriters abused his privilages as the main character and he is the guy who made me criticize anime main characters so much.

#2 Posted by Fallschirmjager (11522 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many to choose from.

The biggest problem with anime is so many of them have teenaged protagonists that all suck.

#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (26429 posts) - - Show Bio

Gingka from Beyblade. *Shivers*

#4 Edited by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

You're allowed to choose main characters, side characters, or villains.

#5 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.

#6 Edited by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

Chopper from One Piece. Annoying scaredy cat reindeer is annoying.

#7 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7785 posts) - - Show Bio

but..but...Dat backstory though

#8 Edited by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

He also has my least favorite backstory of all the Straw hats...well..maybe besides Brook.

#9 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7785 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones said:

@the_stegman said:

He also has my least favorite backstory of all the Straw hats...well..maybe besides Brook.

You don't like Brook's backstory? I thought it was kinda touching not like Robin's or Sanji's but it had a beautiful song attached

#10 Posted by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones: Nah, I didn't like Brook's, but Sanji's...my goodness, that was beautiful, probably my favorite. and Robin's was great too, I love how One Piece dedicates large portions of their manga to character building, it's my favorite thing about the manga.

#11 Edited by redbird3rdboywonder (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: You hate Tyson???, we are now enemies lol

Anyway My hatred for Saskue Uchiha burns with the fierceness of Yama-ji's bankai, I ******* HATE that raven haired, pretty boy b!***, he is the sole reason that Naruto has turned into such an atrocity when pre-shippuden was so wonderful, like seriously if I were to even run into someone named Saskue anywhere on this planet, they're getting the beatdown of their life just for sharing a name with him.

#12 Edited by Mekboy (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Where do I begin.

Kira, Athrun, Cagalli, Lunamaria, Meyrin and Lacus from Gundam.

Ougi from Code Geass.

Rukia, Hinamori, Hitsumoron and Matsumoto from Bleach.

Kagome from Inuyasha.

Probably a dozen others I cannot think of at the moment.

#13 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku from dbz.

#14 Posted by Juiceboks (5930 posts) - - Show Bio

Marron from Dragonball(No purpose at all other than shameless fan service..as if we weren't getting enough of that from Bulma)

Lady Sio from Afro Samurai(Cloning a man's father to kill him for no reason past your own amusement..just sick)

The three college guys from The Light of Tsukimi Manor(They're reason I couldn't get past the 17 page)

Hate is a strong word..and one reserved for these 5 individuals.

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (26429 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks:

Marron from Dragonball(No purpose at all other than shameless fan service..as if we weren't getting enough of that from Bulma)

SMH. You can never have too much fan service! I'd expect you to know better bro.

#16 Posted by Juiceboks (5930 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks:

SMH. You can never have too much fan service! I'd expect you to know better bro.

Ay man don't get me wrong, I'm the last person who would say no to fan service. But at the same time, if that's all there is to the character then it gets old REAL fast. Not to mention she was basically an annoying, dumb as bricks, bustier version of Bulma.

#17 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder: Tyson sucks. He's the reason I keep an extra close eye on the main characters now. And Sasuke was okay...up until Madara fed him all those lies. Hawk Sasuke and beyond just ruined the series for me too.

#18 Posted by Fallschirmjager (11522 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@juiceboks:

Ay man don't get me wrong, I'm the last person who would say no to fan service. But at the same time, if that's all there is to the character then it gets old REAL fast. Not to mention she was basically an annoying, dumb as bricks, bustier version of Bulma.

Fanservice is pointless. If you want to see anime boobs, watch hentai.

#19 Posted by Juiceboks (5930 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks said:

@wolverine08 said:

@juiceboks:

Fanservice is pointless. If you want to see anime boobs, watch hentai.

Fanservice can be pretty humorous when done right, it's when it shows up for no reason that it becomes pointless.

#20 Edited by Mr_Alt (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Off the top of my head in no particular order.

#21 Edited by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

Again, no DBZ characters. And provide reasons.

#22 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder: Tyson sucks. He's the reason I keep an extra close eye on the main characters now. And Sasuke was okay...up until Madara fed him all those lies. Hawk Sasuke and beyond just ruined the series for me too.

Tyson is no where near as bad as Saskue, not even close, like some of the stuff y hate about Tyson, fits Saskue's description but worse

#23 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

Rolo from Code Geass.

My hatred runs deep for that little brat.

#24 Posted by deaditegonzo (3377 posts) - - Show Bio

All One Piece characters and Naruto.

#25 Posted by Back_stabbath95 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

The great saiyaman and mr Satan from dbz but I like dbz a lot

#26 Edited by BlackLegRaph (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Nina from Code Geass.....I'd say Rivel (or however you spell it), but his existence was actually pointless, and naming him could almost validate it.

Wapol from One Piece. He was just annoying and needed a beating.

Uvo from Hunter x Hunter. He was a killer, yet we're supposed to feel sorry for his death, even when he didn't regret the things he'd done? Pfft!

Renji from Bleach. His attitude at the start of Soul Society just generally annoyed me. He starts out taunting Rukia & supporting her execution, then all of a sudden, he's her biggest fan! Sheesh! I never got over that.

All flying cats from Fairy Tail (except Panther Lily). That's the only arc I've ever dropped in an anime. A world ruled by flying cats?......Seriously?

Envy from FMA. Yep, I admit it: I didn't get over Hughes' death, but combined with Envy's annoying personality overall, I really grew to dislike this character.

Yuno & Yuki from Mirai Nikki. Just an awful execution of a supposed love story. Plus they had the most awkward attitude changes I've seen so far in anime.

#27 Posted by Strongarm (5523 posts) - - Show Bio

Sasuke, stole the post skip from nardo and plot moves to wangst

Aizen, drags on for too damn long

#28 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (21276 posts) - - Show Bio

In no particular order.....

1. Goku (he's not a good character as it is and his fans make it a billion times worse.

2. Kazuya (biggest wimp in anime)

3. Ash (has been a loser for over a decade now and is still a loser)

#29 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011: Funny as it sounds, I think Ash was a better trainer in the Kanto and Johto sagas. And I'm not just saying that for nostalgia's sake.

#30 Posted by solon (421 posts) - - Show Bio

Chopper from One Piece

Sakura from Naruto

#31 Posted by General_Pandemonium (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind Ash sucked even back in Kanto. It took him 82 episodes to fail the league and catch like 10 Pokemon. Red from Origins caught em all and became champion in 4.

#32 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@general_pandemonium: Catching Pokemon was never Ash's goal though, training them was. And Ash has never even shown difficulty capturing Pokemon. He gets the ones he likes and bonds with. And Origins was more based on the games, there's a reason in the anime world trying to catch hundreds of Pokemon is a stupid idea.

#33 Edited by General_Pandemonium (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind dude the slogan was literally "gotta catch em all", it was in the theme tune and everything. Also he lost the league championship so he clearly wasn't that good at training.

#34 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

So? In the mainstream anime, every trainer has their own goal. Though I doubt any want to catch every Pokemon. Why? Because Pokemon need to be maintained, fed, let out to exercise. Regularly. They can't exist in a computer like the games. And no one person,.or evsn a large group of people can take care of hundreds of Pokemon daily. Especially if they belong to someone else. Also, Ash losing the Indigo League after only training for a year or so? That's totally understandable. And my point was never that Ash is a good battler, I said I felt like he was a better trainer back in the day.

#35 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (616 posts) - - Show Bio

Light from deathnote. He's a narcissistic douch that's really not likable as the series goes on.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombiemowlcher: Light being a narcissistic douche is WHY I like him. Changes up the typical, boring "I have to save my friends!" Shonen protagonist.

#37 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (616 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: His attitude is just too much for my taste. I don't like higher than thou vigilanties. His character doesn't have a lot of saving graces and no REAL motive for his actions.

#38 Posted by Experio (8100 posts) - - Show Bio

Akainu from One piece for doing this

I'm sure many will agree

#39 Edited by The Stegman (20728 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombiemowlcher: I understand what you mean, he has no real redeeming qualities, but he's still my favorite anime character actually, lol.

#40 Edited by ZombieMowlcher (616 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: My favorite douch is the guy from Desert Punk.

#41 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@experio: It was partly Ace's fault though.

#42 Posted by Experio (8100 posts) - - Show Bio

@experio: It was partly Ace's fault though.

Why? Cause he went after Black Beard or cause he saved his brother?

#43 Edited by frozenedge (929 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku, loved him as a kid, hated him once i got older and saw past the copy and pasted fights. Continues to leave his family every chance he gets. Just about everybody but Goku raised his kids for him

Tsuna from Katekyo Hitman Reborn. I got over him being another typical high school kid who couldn't talk to the girl of his dreams because he eventually turned into a pretty badass mafia leader. It also helped when his future self was mysterious as hell and seemed to be an even bigger badass but then the ending came he pretty much regressed back into the same guy he was in the first chapter only difference is he had friends.

Natsu from Fairy Tail. The character just irritates me to the highest degree. It doesn't help that he pretty much never shuts up about the guild, never. It's always Fairy Tail this, Fairy Tail that, and his wins against certain enemies are just pure stupidity. Still think he should've lost to Zancrow and should've definitely gotten his ass beat by Sting and Rogue

#44 Edited by DEADPOOL (2697 posts) - - Show Bio

Itachi from "Naruto."

Story: He knows the main villain framed his clan which led to distrust between them and the village, his clan got tired of it and wanted to take over the village, but Itachi was loyal to the village and killed his clansmen in an ambush... with the help of the man who he knew framed them and didn't tell anyone.

He couldn't kill his baby brother though and would actually betray his village for the sake of his baby brother, so he started manipulating his baby brother in order to drive him to get strong enough to kill him as a form of poetic justice. It all started when he mindraped his baby brother, forcing him to helplessly watch his entire family and clan get murdered over and over again for 3 days straight, and left him a drooling mess.

Since then his baby brother started to become a mental case, suffering from anxiety, anti-social tendencies, and an inferiority complex. But when his baby brother started to break out of his shell, to make friends and finally start to be happy again, Itachi stepped in and broke his arm, his ribs, and mindraped him into a drooling mess again, telling him that he didn't have enough hate and told him to murder his best friend, the star of the series, to unlock their clan's inner power.

This drove his baby brother to flee the village and join one of the village's worst enemies to get more powerful and attempted to kill his friends on numerous occasions, making him a wanted criminal; preferably dead. Then Itachi was finally confronted by his baby brother, which led to Itachi's death. But Itachi took a dive, and it's revealed that Itachi knew he was turning his baby brother into a psychopath and it was his plan to mindrape him one last time with a brainwashing spell to turn him into a good guy which would had made his baby brother a target for the main villains who were more powerful than Itachi.

His baby brother then learned the truth behind Itachi's actions and decided to get revenge on the village. Eventually he ran into a zombified Itachi that ignored him, lied to him, and told him that he isn't his problem anymore, before finally saying that he loves his baby brother even if he destroys the village. Now that Itachi is finally gone for good, it's currently unknown what his baby brother will ultimately do since the series isn't over yet.

Character: Itachi through other people's comments is described as a highly intelligent and insightful candy-loving pacifist that doesn't act without a reason and overall saint, but his actions depict him as cruel and merciless, an "ends justify the means" type, and just so happens to be one of the most efficient assassins in his village, and for being a genius his plans aren't very well thought out. He also has the personality of a rock, being stoic, monotoned, and doesn't say much but does gloat from time to time. Again, other characters' opinions of his personality contrast with his portrayal. He also, in my opinion, has one of the most generic character designs. I'm not one for flash and flair, or something that comes out of Lady Gaga's closet, but his plainess is perhaps the most unique thing about his design.

Abilities: Itachi's highly impressive, easily one of the top 20 characters power-wise. Although the series does a semi-decent job placing his level in the series by comparing him to a few other characters, he always gets plot hax on his side in fights which makes his powers ambiguous.

He's basically a horribly done marty stu and/or black hole sue type character that sometimes crosses the lines into god mode sue territory.

#45 Posted by frogdog (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

@experio said:

Akainu from One piece for doing this

I'm sure many will agree

Akainu was just doing his job

@deadpool said:

Itachi from Naruto.

Story: He knows the main villain framed his clan which led to distrust between them and the village, his clan got tired of it and wanted to take over the village, but Itachi was loyal to the village and killed ambushed his clansmen... with them help of the man who he knew framed them and didn't tell anyone.

He couldn't kill his baby brother though and would actually betray his village for the sake of his baby brother, so he started manipulating his baby brother in order to drive him to get strong enough to kill him as a form of poetic justice. It all started when he mindraped his baby brother, forcing him to helplessly watch his entire family and clan get murdered over and over again for 3 days straight, and left him a drooling mess.

Since then his baby brother started to become a mental case, suffering from anxiety, anti-social tendencies, and an inferiority complex. But when his baby brother started to break out of his shell, to make friends and finally start to be happy again, Itachi stepped in and broke his arm, his ribs, and mindraped him into a drooling mess again, telling him that he didn't have enough hate and told him to murder his best friend, the star of the series, to unlock their clan's inner power.

This drove his baby brother to flee the village and join one of the village's worst enemies to get more powerful and attempted to kill his friends on numerous occasions, making him a wanted criminal; preferably dead. Then Itachi was finally confronted by his baby brother, which led to Itachi's death. But Itachi took a dive, and it's revealed that Itachi knew he was turning his baby brother into a psychopath and it was his plan to mindrape him one last time with a brainwashing spell to turn him into a good guy which would had made his baby brother a target for the main villains who were more powerful than Itachi.

His baby brother then learned the truth behind Itachi's actions and decided to get revenge on the village. Eventually he ran into a zombified Itachi that ignored him, lied to him, and told him that he isn't his problem anymore, before finally saying that he loves his baby brother even if he destroys the village. Now that Itachi is finally gone for good, it's currently unknown what his baby brother will ultimately do since the series isn't over yet.

Character: Itachi through other people's comments is described as a highly intelligent and insightful candy-loving pacifist that doesn't act without a reason, but his actions depict him as cruel and merciless, an "ends justify the means" type, and just so happens to be one of the most efficient assassins in his village, and for being a genius his plans aren't very well thought out. He also has the personality of a rock, being stoic, monotoned, and doesn't say much but does gloat from time to time. Again, other characters' opinions of his personality contrast with his portrayal. He also, in my opinion, has one of the most generic character designs. I'm not one for flash and flair, or something that comes out of Lady Gaga's closet, but his plainess is perhaps the most unique thing about his design.

Abilities: Itachi's highly impressive, easily one of the top 20 characters power-wise. Although the series does a semi-decent job placing his level in the series by comparing him to a few other characters, he always gets plot hax on his side in fights which makes his powers ambiguous.

He's basically a horribly done marty stu and/or black hole sue type character that sometimes crosses the lines into god mode sue territory.

I still think the fight between sasuke and itachi happened too soon.

#46 Posted by scorpion2501 (3338 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to explain really...

#47 Posted by Shiryu (2458 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Obito Uchiha for me. As someone on Outskirts Battledome said, he became the "Narutoverse's New God. And it's because he was friendzoned."

Orochimaru had so much potential to be a great villain, and was built up to be the main antagonist of the series, but once Kishimoto starting focusing on the Uchiha and their Sharingan so often I knew something was changing. The same thing happened to Neji. All this talk about "genius of the Hyuga clan," and then it suddenly doesn't matter because he's not cursed with some "Hate of the Uchiha" BS or whatever it's called.

As a Naruto fan, it sucks to know that our final villain is a guy who had no motivation for all the crazy stuff he did besides the death of a girl who didn't even requite his romantic feelings for her. It's pathetic.

#48 Edited by DEADPOOL (2697 posts) - - Show Bio

@shiryu said:

Definitely Obito Uchiha for me. As someone on Outskirts Battledome said, he became the "Narutoverse's New God. And it's because he was friendzoned."

Orochimaru had so much potential to be a great villain, and was built up to be the main antagonist of the series, but once Kishimoto starting focusing on the Uchiha and their Sharingan so often I knew something was changing. The same thing happened to Neji. All this talk about "genius of the Hyuga clan," and then it suddenly doesn't matter because he's not cursed with some "Hate of the Uchiha" BS or whatever it's called.

As a Naruto fan, it sucks to know that our final villain is a guy who had no motivation for all the crazy stuff he did besides the death of a girl who didn't even requite his romantic feelings for her. It's pathetic.

I have to defend Obito here.

Rin was the catalyst, not the cause. There's also nothing saying he was friendzoned, Rin showed more feelings towards Obito than Kakashi.

Think about it:

1. Obito was the black sheep of the most elite clan in Konoha.

2. His parents died, leaving him heart-broken and alone, and sought comfort and love from others.

3. He sacrificed himself for his teammates, suffered a traumatic near-death experience where half his body was crushed, and his eye was removed from his face to further help his friends.

4. He was locked in a psychotic warmonger's basement where he was brainwashed for months, hearing about how cruel and unfair the world is by an old, bitter, and cynical man. He also taught Obito that the problem with the world is the ninja system, and that to destroy the ninja system is to make it so that it's not needed anymore. The old warmonger's plan was to brainwash everyone into being happy, so that there would be no more need for fighting and bloodshed.

5. When he finally got out, it was just to see his best friend kill his quasi-girlfriend. Why was she killed? She sacrificed herself because the enemy basically strapped a bomb to her and wanted her to return to her village and destroy it.

That's when he finally snapped. Rin would still be alive if it weren't for the ninja system, his parents wouldn't be dead, and he wouldn't had been crushed half to death. So he embraced the warmonger's goals, wanting to brainwash the world into being happy, but a few eggs needed broken to make that dream a reality.

About Orochimaru and Neji though, I agree 100%. The manga really went downhill once it started to focus on the Uchiha, and pretty much when Nagato was introduced the whole manga started to feel like a giant fanfic. Yet, after 13 years, I at least want to see how it ends.

#49 Posted by Shiryu (2458 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool: Wow. I wasn't expecting anyone to actually care about what I posted. Thanks. I guess I can see why Obito went crazy, but I just feel that he just fits the same tortured soul mold of just about every villain in Naruto. Think about it:

1. Orochimaru (orphaned at an early age)

2. Kabuto (doesn't even know who his biological parents are; something happened to his adoptive mother but I forgot what exactly that was)

3. Nagato (orphaned at an early age; lost his best friend Yahiko; noticing a trend?)

4. Sasuke (do I even have to bother?)

Hell, even Madara has a tragic backstory (all of his brothers died during one of the great shinobi wars, and he couldn't even protect Izuna.) I just hoped we Naruto fans would finally get that one irredeemable villain that goes against everything Naruto stands for, but when it finally seems we got that, the villain turns out to be almost a palette swap of Naruto who unfortunately enjoyed a less fortunate childhood/adolescence. I'm very disappointed and I might just end up sticking solely to One Piece as far as manga is concerned. Maybe a few light novels too, but after Naruto ends I'm pretty much finished with manga.

The least Kishi can do is write a little epilogue into the final chapter. I'd be happy with that, I think.

#50 Posted by DEADPOOL (2697 posts) - - Show Bio

@shiryu said:

@deadpool: Wow. I wasn't expecting anyone to actually care about what I posted. Thanks. I guess I can see why Obito went crazy, but I just feel that he just fits the same tortured soul mold of just about every villain in Naruto. Think about it:

1. Orochimaru (orphaned at an early age)

2. Kabuto (doesn't even know who his biological parents are; something happened to his adoptive mother but I forgot what exactly that was)

3. Nagato (orphaned at an early age; lost his best friend Yahiko; noticing a trend?)

4. Sasuke (do I even have to bother?)

Hell, even Madara has a tragic backstory (all of his brothers died during one of the great shinobi wars, and he couldn't even protect Izuna.) I just hoped we Naruto fans would finally get that one irredeemable villain that goes against everything Naruto stands for, but when it finally seems we got that, the villain turns out to be almost a palette swap of Naruto who unfortunately enjoyed a less fortunate childhood/adolescence. I'm very disappointed and I might just end up sticking solely to One Piece as far as manga is concerned. Maybe a few light novels too, but after Naruto ends I'm pretty much finished with manga.

The least Kishi can do is write a little epilogue into the final chapter. I'd be happy with that, I think.

You're absolutely correct. The Narutoverse isn't a place of black & white, and the antagonists are just that because their ideals and goals conflict with Naruto's. Even of the Akatsuki, they were mostly just rogue ninjas that got screwed over by their respective villages, and they mostly weren't any more evil than someone like Kakashi. They are ninjas, they are largely morally ambiguous and they fight, steal, spy, and kill for money.

Even then, Naruto's views and goals are unrealistic and could only exist in a fictional world, and his views of a ninja that he desperately clings to is that of a superhero. What's weird is that he rejects Obito's passive and guaranteed way of bringing peace into the world and instead embraces his way of changing the world is through fascism, beating up anyone that disagrees with him, and somehow might makes right. The stronger he gets, the more people change to his beliefs. Hell, there's only a war right now in the series because nobody wants what Obito's selling, ironically showing how much they don't want peace.

The only real villains, to me, have been Madara, Nagato and Orochimaru.