• 51 results
AminoAcidMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AminoAcidMan

Hi guys, i'm very new in reading comics but i've read a fair amount of DC, Marvel and other publishers.

So which superhero/superpower do you think has the "laziest" origin. (i quote laziest because i don't think its the right term) and why?

IMO, i think the X-men, specifically the mutants, has the easiest/laziest (and really cool) explanation. There are just born with mutant powers because of the X gene, no explanation required, no lab and/or tragic accidents, no alien origin. They are just born with it, its really cool and all but sometimes its kinda boring (no offense to Xmen fans). For example, an author wants a hero that can turn/denature proteins into amino acids, its most basic component (i.e. Amino Acid Man), the only thing he/she needs is a name and make that guy a mutant and viola you have your new hero.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#2  Edited By Liberty

IMO, i think the X-men, specifically the mutants, has the easiest/laziest (and really cool) explanation. There are just born with mutant powers because of the X gene, no explanation required, no lab and/or tragic accidents, no alien origin. They are just born with it, its really cool and all but sometimes its kinda boring (no offense to Xmen fans). For example, an author wants a hero that can turn/denature proteins into amino acids, its most basic component (i.e. Amino Acid Man), the only thing he/she needs is a name and make that guy a mutant and viola you have your new hero.

Agreed. You will probably get some flack for this with the Marvel/X-Men fans but, Stan Lee himself said he did it deliberately to avoid making a whole bunch of origins for a bunch of heroes and makes no apologies for it. It has grown into something else but facts are facts.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MakkyD

@aminoacidman: Most alien heroes for the same reason-because they're born like that, no more explanation needed.

AminoAcidMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AminoAcidMan

@maccyd said:

@aminoacidman: Most alien heroes for the same reason-because they're born like that, no more explanation needed.

Yes but some, like superman, has a story on how he came to earth. Some alien heroes are "last of there species" and the creator still thinks of a story to make some difference (i.e superman and martian manhunter).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MakkyD

@aminoacidman: You could argue the same on mutants as well such as Wolverine being abused by the government and magneto's holocaust origins.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

Filthy lazy muties. Get a job!

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

@liberty: I disagree. In Wild Cards series all the powers were the result of the alien virus (which the authors did deliberately, as George Martin himself said, to avoid too many different origins), but the result is anything but boring.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AllStarSuperman

the laziest origin as the bad guy from iron man 3? seriously he was just mad tony would rather hang out with a girl than a geek?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Someone dies either a family member or a hero/villian and they have to become a hero. And counterpart of character most of time they have some ... intress on that character.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

In general Mutants. Specifically a single character Miles Morales.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: This. Wihlth mutants you at least need to explain why they being what they are has caused them any grief.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gods they come from real stories and are just adapted to comic form

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I agree with several people who have posted mutants in general. It turned out to be awesome, but the idea itself was lazy.

the laziest origin as the bad guy from iron man 3? seriously he was just mad tony would rather hang out with a girl than a geek?

I also agree with this.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By blkson

I don't know.

I mean, if an origin is elaborate, then it would be too lengthy and too detailed, which could be difficult to translate to someone unfamiliar with said character.

Characters primarily get their powers four ways

• Accidentally
  • Power Item
  • they are born with them
  • a blessing or gift from higher/advanced beings.

Damn near all origin stories revolve around how a character get their abilities and most of them fit into these archetypes.

I wouldn't say that's lazy though. lol, you come up with an origin that isn't part of those archetypes, yet is simple enough for people to grasp.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

The gods they come from real stories and are just adapted to comic form

ok I stand corrected lol, this is lazy.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rogueshadow  Moderator

The instant thought is Mutants, but there are probably others I can't think of right now.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Liberty

@maccyd: the difference is Superman's origin came in the first issue he appeared. With the original x-men no origin was established until much later. As for Wolverine he was not originally an X-Man. He Started as a foe of Hulk joined the X-men and writed decided he was such a good fit that they made his origins mutant.

@liberty: I disagree. In Wild Cards series all the powers were the result of the alien virus (which the authors did deliberately, as George Martin himself said, to avoid too many different origins), but the result is anything but boring.

Sounds like the same kind of thing in both cases. I just don't know Wild Cards

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@maccyd: This. Wihlth mutants you at least need to explain why they being what they are has caused them any grief.

Yeah, if you're talking about the X-men. Not all mutants in the MU seem to endure the whole 'hated and feared' thing, some seem to get by just fine.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liberty: Most silver age marvel character didn't have their origins explained at first either tbh.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@liberty: Most silver age marvel character didn't have their origins explained at first either tbh.

I know. I think it is Marvel's biggest flaw.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole "my home planet was destroyed and i'm the last survivor" shick. *cough*cough*gokusuperman*cough*

I especially hate it because there always turns out to be a bunch of others -_- it also works on a smaller scale too, like sasuke and the uchiha clan-_-

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By homicidalmaniac

@strider92: Why you think Miles origins story was lazy

homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By homicidalmaniac

@mitran: Miles have two other powers that Peter don't have,Miles Spider-Sense can be consider better than Peter's SS.Miles's uncle,"The Prowler"stole a OZ Spider and Miles was at his Uncle home where the spider bitten Miles.Miles became his version of Spider-Man,because Peter had died.Miles proven himself to Shield and Spider-Woman as Spider-Man when he beaten Ultimate Electro.

homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By homicidalmaniac

@mitran: I was talking about the overall origin story

homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: And Bendis was also laying tribute for Ultimate Peter in Miles Origins Story

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jwalser3

Thread/

@cooldes said:

The whole "my home planet was destroyed and i'm the last survivor" shick. *cough*cough*gokusuperman*cough*

I especially hate it because there always turns out to be a bunch of others -_- it also works on a smaller scale too, like sasuke and the uchiha clan-_-

Not really. Because isn't there like 5 other Uchiha in the series. Much like Supergirl or Powergirl showing up.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Chosen ones are known to be extremely lazy. When destiny just gives it to you and it was foretold. It seems arrogant. The hero did not fight his/her/its darkest hour they are the dark hour. I guess there is something to said of becoming it.

homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By homicidalmaniac
@mitran said:

Well, what is his origin story? He got powers the same way Peter did, and wanted to be like Peter. There's very little originality put into why he's a hero.

Giving him the exact same way to get powers isn't much of a tribute. Being inspired by Peter is good, but it's still kind of disjointed. He's a hero because he feels like he kind of thinks it's the right thing to do, and Peter was a good person. It's not that original. I admit this is subjective though, and this is just my opinion.

The standard comic origin story is that a character beginning and they learn what he/she/it would do with their powers after their done battling the main conflict(which lasts a couple comic issues).If you read both Miles/Peter Ultimate Spider-Man,there a scene that Miles found out that can wall crawl and he did it the almost the way Ultimate Peter found out he can wall crawl.Ultimate Spider-Man is a great comic book series if it is Miles or Peter stories.So can we can over this topic already.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@strider92: Why you think Miles origins story was lazy

Exactly what Mitran said here:

@mitran said:

Giving him the exact same way to get powers isn't much of a tribute. Being inspired by Peter is good, but it's still kind of disjointed. He's a hero because he feels like he kind of thinks it's the right thing to do, and Peter was a good person. It's not that original. I admit this is subjective though, and this is just my opinion.

Miles Morales origin was given absolutely no thought at all. Just someone suddenly said "Lets just have a Spider from Oz bite Miles except this time...........its has a 01 one the back!". Miles was one of the biggest wasted opportunities in terms of origin and back-ground for a character i've seen in a long time.

ImTheBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ImTheBat

Superman easy. I'm a alien from krypton that was destroyed , even though they were geniuses and could think of traveling in space to absorb yellow sun rays , and yellow sun rays for no reason makes me the most powerful being in the universe. Real brilliant and explain.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: And Bendis was also laying tribute for Ultimate Peter in Miles Origins Story

If he wanted to honor Pete maybe he shouldn't have killed him off and made Pete #2 to replace him a week later.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ha E the agree with a lot of what's been said. God's are a lazy origin at face value. Mutants are a lazy origin at face value. Anything that just rips off someone else's idea is lazy. Specific characters might get better and more intricate stories as they develop, but by and large these to me are the laziest.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39 JediXMan  Moderator

Most of Stan Lee's characters.

Radiation is the primary reason for most of his characters:

Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil (if I recall correctly), etc. Even the X-Men are about messed up genes, and Sunfire got his powers from nukes dropped on Japan (don't remember if Stan Lee created him, though)

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tyrus

Yes, pretty much Stan Lee's characters.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Mutants in general.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Filthy lazy muties. Get a job!

Get a life! Why must you pick on the poor mutants? They're a lot like us, you know.. :p

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@jedixman said:

Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil (if I recall correctly), etc. Even the X-Men are about messed up genes, and Sunfire got his powers from nukes dropped on Japan (don't remember if Stan Lee created him, though)

He was a product of his time. A lot of people were fascinated by radiation back then. The effects were often romanticized, Lee's characters are pretty good examples of that.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

He was a product of his time. A lot of people were fascinated by radiation back then. The effects were often romanticized, Lee's characters are pretty good examples of that.

I'm just saying. I realize the impact of radiation on pop culture in general. It's just that the vast majority of his creations were based on radiation, industrialism, and general Cold War-like concepts. It's the fact that he only wrote that stuff and essentially nothing else that bothers me.

I guess Superman is guilty of that, as well (kryptonite), but it seems that Stan Lee was effected by this more than any other. Kirby didn't work on radiation as much as Stan Lee.

homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Bendis had no new stories/ideas to do with Ultimate Peter.I heard rumors that Bendis was crying when he writing the Death of Ultimate Spider-Man story.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@homicidalmaniac: If he honestly "ran out" of ideas he could have passed Peter on to a new writer. I'm pretty bitter about the whole situation. There is no need to kill off a guy and bring out pretty much the same guy minus the 150+ issues of learning curve. Was Pete not green enough so we need Miles to reset the experience? I loved that Ultimate Marvel was ground level, but the house that Bendis built didn't need to be knocked down to pretty much rehash the newb hero.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BrokenSpear

@blkson said:

I don't know.

I mean, if an origin is elaborate, then it would be too lengthy and too detailed, which could be difficult to translate to someone unfamiliar with said character.

Characters primarily get their powers four ways

• Accidentally
  • Power Item
  • they are born with them
  • a blessing or gift from higher/advanced beings.

Damn near all origin stories revolve around how a character get their abilities and most of them fit into these archetypes.

I wouldn't say that's lazy though. lol, you come up with an origin that isn't part of those archetypes, yet is simple enough for people to grasp.

How about the last surviving mutant of an alien species that recieved a power item from a higher being at birth and accidentally activated it when he attacked the guy that shot his adoptive parents in front of him and manifested a mystical suit of armor?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about the last surviving mutant of an alien species that recieved a power item from a higher being at birth and accidentally activated it when he attacked the guy that shot his adoptive parents in front of him and manifested a mystical suit of armor?

Mos def in the too elaborate catergory

Sounds intriguing lol

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say accidents are the most lazy and over done. But it works.

Things that would normally kill them gives them powers.

Harriso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman, while original and neat at the time, after seeing the one-millionth superhero to have an alien origin, supermans has become boring.