Lackluster/Disappointing Comic Book Series Revivals

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By negamegas

So when the new 52 happened 2 years ago, we got to see a big revival of once thought dead comic franchises like Aquaman, Hawkman, and so on and so fourth. In the same year we also got to see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles get a new comic revival as well and Image Comics did their own revival around the time of the new 52 which I'm told is successful.

But like the New 52, not all the title revivals are good so tell me which revival of a long dead series(I say it has to be 2 or 3 years dead) do you feel just didn't live up to what it could of been or just disappointed you.

I can't really comment on the New 52 yet as I haven't really read any of the Titles save for Justice League but with that said, I can think of at least one title revival that had A TON of Potential and Really had me hyped up only to get disappointed at such a waste of potential it was. This title for me was Image Comics' Supreme title that was revived last year by Erik Larsen and started off with the last Alan Moore script before Erik took over. Now let it be known that I am a fan of Erik and I really dig his Savage Dragon series though it's been a while since I've read them and is taking FOREVER for that Ultimate Collection Hardcover to hit print but now I'm getting off topic here. I am also a huge fan of Alan Moore, it's either him or Geoff Johns are my favorite writer in comics and I absolutely ADORE his Supreme run and is my favorite work of his with his Swamp Thing Run coming a close second. Right well when news came about that the series was getting revived, I was ecstatic and I was told Image has been doing a good job reviving these titles that were once cancelled and it was being written by someone I liked so how could it go wrong? Well Issue 63 or 64, whichever the Moore script was started out good but then after that it all went down hill and sadly got cancelled. Larsen advertised the series as a balance of the Moore stuff and the EXTREME stuff that was very BLECK and I was like "Okay, I can deal with this." but as soon as you get to the Non-Moore stuff, it shows why it's bad. It's a flat out betrayal to say the least as it's not a balance that we were told about but rather an in-balance with the EXTREMENESS out weighing the Moore stuff. Not to mention there was unnecessary killing off characters from the Moore series in a very disrespectful way and then some plus there were A LOT of out of character moments in the book and it just sucks so much. I'm really disappointed in this series as I was hoping that not only would the character be revived in a proper manner and be brought back in the spot light but I was also hoping we would see enough interest generated that we would see a new printing of the Alan Moore collections AND the reprints look quality would of been improved over the mehness of what we got from checker books.

So with my ramblings aside, which revival series of a character or franchise were you disappointed with?

OH! I just thought of another one but I'll let this King of the Something rest until later.