• 62 results
Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Comickidd77

Why do so many people have a gripe with how Wilson Fisk is portrayed? I thought it was superb. You could see the future kingpin inside him but you could also see weakness. After all, he is human. It reminded me very much of the way he was in Love in war.

Do you agree? Or do you feel Kingpin was taken in a wrong direction and not truly shown to his potential or comicbook self

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By albusan

He was still that scared kid inside of a monster. He was trying to believe that he wasn't the monster, that he was the good samaratin as he put it. WHen he ever he got mad he really did lash out and scream like he was still a boy inside. Everything goes back to that moment when he was 12 with his father.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

They made him a real person, not some hollywood gangster cliche BS. It would have been really easy for Marvel/Netflix just to cast some big muscle bound guy and just make Kingpin a bad*** bald thug. Like Marvel could have cast Vin Diesel & Fans would be pleased and you could just go straight into building up Bullseye as the main villain of the series. No one would have complained at all. Like everyone loves Micheal Clark Duncan(RIP) as Kingpin, but lets be honest he didn't do **** with the role. He was just a typical hollywood thug. But, even though he was black he still "Looked the part". Vin Diesel would have some awesome fights with Charlie Cox and everyone would have ate that **** up. But, they said no, let's get a real actor, let's make Kingpin vulnerable and complex. You know, make him into an actual character and not some walking ripoff of a Scorsese movie.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I haven't seen anyone saying they hate his portrayal. I say he makes for a very intresting villain.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

I like the actor. He was amazing in Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket"

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lukehero said:

They made him a real person, not some hollywood gangster cliche BS. It would have been really easy for Marvel/Netflix just to cast some big muscle bound guy and just make Kingpin a bad*** bald thug. Like Marvel could have cast Vin Diesel & Fans would be pleased and you could just go straight into building up Bullseye as the main villain of the series. No one would have complained at all. Like everyone loves Micheal Clark Duncan(RIP) as Kingpin, but lets be honest he didn't do **** with the role. He was just a typical hollywood thug. But, even though he was black he still "Looked the part". Vin Diesel would have some awesome fights with Charlie Cox and everyone would have ate that **** up. But, they said no, let's get a real actor, let's make Kingpin vulnerable and complex. You know, make him into an actual character and not some walking ripoff of a Scorsese movie.

boom

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Loki9876

I've seen it quite a bit actaully. Mostly that kingpin isn't tough enough, that he's a big fat boy who gets bossed around by everyone, and instead of a über gangster they get a mortal man who is awkward, has a hard time talking to woman,and actaully shows emotion and vulnerability. I thought it was brilliant the portrayal of Fisk. He's a polerizing figure but still very much human, emotional scars an all.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero Exactly. spot on! Couldn't be more right.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By lettsplay10

HE KILLED A RUSSIAN DUDE BECAUSE HE DESTROYED HIS DATE

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Cloakx14

i thought it was good.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

I had problems with it. I think they went too far with the weakness at times or at least timed the showing wrong.

Over all I did like the portrayal. I also like that he seemed to be getting fatter as the series went on. He just was not fat enough in the beginning. That might have been the directors fault because there are tricks to make someone appear skinnier or fatter that they use.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@dernman: Well they did say that the show was as much an origin story of the Kingpin as it is for Daredevil.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: To be honest I had more a problem with Ms Fisk than the Fisk himself but that might be because I'm use to the cartoon or was it the comic that she hated him for his connection to the Mob.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: In the comic she ended up running the mob when Kingpin was put in a coma after their son and his associates tried to kill him . She had them all executed in some Godfather level sheet.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: The it must have been one of the cartoons. I think I prefer that version.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it, I just thought it was a little annoying that about half his sentences contained the words "this city blah blah blah."

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@jonny_anonymous said:

@lukehero said:

boom

QFT! He was the scariest character on the show not just because he was the Kingpin (and people who say he's not threatening are ignoring that he performed more heinous acts and hatched more plots than MCD's portrayal and most villains on-screen in general), but also that raw emotion and his capacity for violence, which had a source that we could see, just like Matt with his Murdock family ethos. Speaking of, this show has the best portrayal of violence I've seen in any CB adaptation. It's visceral, gut-rending.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me start off by saying that Vincent D'onofrio did an amazing job. I think he's a great actor.

However, his version of the character is someone that I could never believed to be the head of all crime in New York City. Wilson Fisk should be bold, a gifted orator, and have a presence that let's you know, without a word, that he is the boss. This version, for all his success, was a scared child in the body of a man.

I'm not saying what we got was bad. He had layers and a good back story. But it isn't a Kingpin I can get behind.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he was like a child that was nervous talking to girls

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Yeah but like the creators said, this was a Kingpin origin story just as much as it was a Daredevil one. You're right in that Fisk was scared but by the end he wasn't. "I am the ill intent" by the end he knows he was kidding himself that he was trying to be the good guy, by the end he's no longer scared to be the monster he truly is.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogueshadow  Moderator

He is an exceptionally complicated character and D'Onofrio has done a remarkable job. Fisk is unhinged, psychotic and animalistic coated with mild-mannered, innocent and awkward. At times you almost wonder how he became the boss, then you get moments where he mushes a guy's head with a car door. I found him genuinely terrifying, especially in the exchange with Ben, I was glued to the screen during that whole scene.

I also enjoyed his parallels with Matt, e.g. Wesely = Foggy, both trying to save the city, both products of Hell's Kitchen etc. The core distinction between the two was the role of their father, I think that really served to bring home the profound impact that Matt's dad had on him in general and in his role as Daredevil.

His relationship with Vanessa was also brilliant, it was great how they flipped the Skyler/Carmela dynamic on its head.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingpin is literally MCU best villain right now

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@kfabz-23 said:

Kingpin is literally MCU best villain right now

By a wide margin. Heck, DD is the best component of the MCU.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his voice is weird.

Other than that he's awesome.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@_mongul said:

I think his voice is weird.

Other than that he's awesome.

I agree. He had a case of Bale Voice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure where people are getting 'complex' from.

He was abused as a child, and he killed his father. The result is an emotionally stunted, PTSD suffering man-child who devolves into his 10 year old self when feeling helpless or weak. It's interesting, albeit a little cliche; however, I just couldn't get past the overacting, silly mannerisms, obnoxious voice, and corny dialogue.

Fortunately, the rest of the show was solid enough to make up for D'Onofrio's poor performance.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, don't chew me out.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was Fisk technically not kingpin yet? Just as Murdock was not technically daredevil until the last 20 minutes?

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fisk´s character was great, most complaints are because he isn´t a total badass crime boss like he is in the comics, but his character in the show was really good, he is a very good villain and the actor´s portrayal was amazing.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lukehero said:

QFT

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImMadNice . Dardevil wasn't actaully daredevil till last 5 mins. The newspaper is him becoming dardevil before hand was acceptance. Just like Wilson Fisk became kingpin when his sat down in his prsion cell an stared at the wall knowing full well who he truly was now.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cream_God

All that salt

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 vance_astro  Moderator

I don't see any gripes, where are you seeing this?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't a huge fan. Felt too emotionally immature, unstable, and vulnerable. The Kingpin I perceive in the comics is cold, calculated, and able to trade wits with Spidey and DD.

Loved D'Onofrio's overall performance though, and I definitely accept this version of the character for what it is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty of gripes.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vance_astro  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

@vance_astro said:

From who?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@vance_astro said:

From who?

From me. From friends that watched the show as well. @arturocalakayvee@transformers1024. From folks in this thread. From folks in other threads.

The degrees of dissatisfaction with MCU Kingpin's personality are greatly varied, but there is plenty of non-positive feedback out there.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to look at the shows from a fresh perspective and not compare them to the comics (because they'll never be exactly the same) so I think that D'Onfrio was motherf*cking brilliant as Fisk. Of course he's not the Kingpin from the comics, that would get pretty stale pretty quick. I think they're going to have him transition into that cold and calculating menace slowly, because it wasn't like the Kingpin starts crime and forgets about his emotions. It's more realistic this way.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vance_astro  Moderator
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Initially I had a huge problem with his portrayal, mostly because my perception of Fisk always goes back to the Kingpin of crime from the 90s Spider-Man TAS. Also, in the beginning he seemed like a scared little child than someone who could carry the immense presence and respect of a powerful crime boss. However, as the show advanced this version grew on me because the more I pondered about it, the more I realized how complex he really was. First of all, he grows from a child ("man-child") into a man, which is the whole point of his character. Sure, he still has his emotional breakdowns, but during the time of the show he seems to start acting individually when he starts loosing people he relied on and makes his own decisions, being fully aware of what results his choices may hold. Moreover, he had some childish "illusion" that he was the unsung hero in Hells Kitchen, but by the end, his little monologue about the traveler and the good samaritan shows that he owned up to his role as the villain of the situation, and not the hero, thereby showing that he put his childish dreams to rest. (You could interpret the final scene in many different ways, maybe even argue that he was still a child because him starring at the white prison wall harkened back to what his dad did to him, but I think it goes back to the fact that he felt lonely and was away from someone he had loved.)

Furthermore, say what you will, but I have a soft spot for noble villains, and in some ways, despite the horrible acts he has committed, Fisk could, in some f*cked up way, be considered noble because of the way he treated Vanessa. He basically broke away from his Dads shadow the moment he had taken on the responsibility of protecting the woman he had loved.

All in all, this is not how I had imagined Fisk, and this version will probably not come to my mind when I think of the Kingpin of crime, but for a show aiming at reality and tragedy, this incarnation works perfectly well. Instead of showing a one-dimensional "behind-the-scenes" badass, we got a human being who was just as interesting, if not more so, than the main hero. If that's not a win, I don't know what is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I would have to agree with your assessment. Pretty on-point for a foreigner.

Avatar image for psychopsychology
PsychoPsychology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the personality, though they could have portrayed his intelligence a little better.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@jaken7 said:

@theacidskull: I would have to agree with your assessment. Pretty on-point for a foreigner.

I guess us Georgians can do more than punch stuff, eh?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Thought he was great, I just didn't care for the deep voice he was using.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PsychoPsychology

I can agree with that. They did a little bit though. Fisk took out the Russians in one fell swoop and positioned nobu to be taken out by daredevil which made daredevil fall right Into his trap to take him out himself.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlackWind

@sprior93: True. A bullied kid who thinks he is doing what is for the good of the community but has turned into a bully himself is nothing new. I feel they went with the sensitive feel too quickly with him.

Just in the Ultimate Spider Man comics, I remember a single scene that was so powerful it made you feel for Wilson. He knew that his wife was likely never going to wake up. And he sat in his bedroom, in his pajamas, atop his castle, and knew he had no power to save her. No dialogue. Just the shot. And this was faaaaaaar after we saw him crushing people's heads and threatening to bomb Peter's school.

The character was good. But I can't accept it as the Kingpin.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't hate the acting...but based on my limited DD knowledge I didn't quiet felt the Kingpin vibe...may be I will in Season 2

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vivide

He educates us on what to do with slavs on car doors, jews on elevators, caucasian americans who are loyal and african americans on tables.

Dat Samaritan talk

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't hate the acting...but based on my limited DD knowledge I didn't quiet felt the Kingpin vibe...may be I will in Season 2

If you didn't feel the vibe in that final episode at least, you might be numb.